Start by marking “Playing with Fire (Silver Dragons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Playing with Fire (Silver Dragons, #1)

Playing with Fire (Silver Dragons #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  6,431 ratings  ·  268 reviews
Starring the Dragons Of The Aisling Grey, Guardian Novels
Gabriel Tauhou, wyvern of the silver dragons, has found the one woman who can withstand his fire. Too bad May Northcott is already bound to a demon lord. But when the demon orders May to steal one of Gabrielas treasuresaan immensely important relic of all dragonkina Gabriel has to decide which to protect: his love
Published February 1st 2010 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published May 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Playing with Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing with Fire

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I really liked the Aisling Grey series, but I think I prefer this one. So far, anyway.

May is a doppleganger, created from the shadow of her twin, a naiad called Cyrene who gave up her common sense in exchange. Because Cy created May while under a minor demon lord's thrall, and with his help, May is bound to the demon lord, Magoth, his servant to do his bidding. And because of her particular talents - being able to shadow and unlock anything, he gets her to steal things for him.

It is while tryin
Julie (jjmachshev)
ARGH! Now I have to wait until October for 'the rest of the story'!!

May has a few problems. She's a doppelganger (a created being of her twin), she's bound to a demon lord (so she must obey his commands), she's being blackmailed by an anonymous bad guy, and...oh yeah, she just met the man of her dreams who is incredibly HOT and says she's his mate!

Gabriel is cursed. He pines for a mate, but "No mate shall be born to any members until a black dragon is accepted as wyvern." Then he meets May and
Jessica B
How I missed the crazy world of Aisling and her Otherworld minions. Now the wyvern of the Silver Dragons takes the main role with his mate May, who is a doppelganger. Katie M. is one of the funniest authors I have read and this book did not disappoint. It had quite a few laugh out loud moments.

May and her twin Cyrene stumble across some dragons while trying to replace a stolen item. May finds out she can withstand dragon fire and Gabriel takes her as his mate. She is a little reluctant but not
Stella
May 28, 2008 Stella rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: other fans of Katie MacAlister
Recommended to Stella by: Im a fan of the author
While I normally adore Ms. Katie, and her Dragons especially, I really felt like this book was majorly forced. It might have been the rushed courtship, which I thought that with Gabriel being that kinda guy he was, would have been breathtaking. Everything just seemed like it could have been better, and with the Aisling novels, her Dark ones and her fantastically funny single titles, I really feel like something was missing from this book.

The story was a great Idea, and the humor was amusing, and
Karyn
I've been waiting a while to get my hands on this book. May Northcott is a doppelganger (a being created from her twin); she's bound to a demon lord Magoth, who she works as a thief for; she has a twin Cyrene who gave up her common sense when creating May; she's in a lotta trouble for stealing from the chief archimage of the Otherworld; is being blackmailed, and now finds out she's also a wyvern's mate. Gabriel's mate to be more exact.

Gabriel Tahou, the wyvern of the Silver Dragons, was first in
The book ends with a MAJOR cliff hanger. That kills me! I need the next book STAT!

I am glad they moved away from Aisling & Drake and started a secondary series with the same characters. With Aisling about to give birth it seems like a good time to shift to May and Gabriel. I liked the chemistery between May and Gabriel and am seriously pissed off that they ended the book the way they did because I want to know what happens! I kind think its a rip off that they ended the book at the pinacle o
Lilyan
Meh. I never particularly liked Gabriel. He's too boring for a Dragon and not really fiery. May and Cyrene are the worst. They grate in my nerves. Worst of all was the fact that Jim, Aisling and Drake have been turned into flat secondary characters. How could she do this to my favorite people!

Not interested in the story, don't care about the main characters. The only reason I'm reading this series is because I want to read the 3rd Dragon series and they're all tied in together. That and the fact
Sári Halász
May is a typical marysue, I doubt if 6 months from now you were to ask me to name some of her character traits I'd remember any.

One of the things I really appreciated in the Guardian novels was that Drake and Aisling didn't jump into a relationship too fast and (despite the rushed sex) they (and me) had time to actually get to know each other before declaring (and me relating to) eternal love.

Rushed love here is an understatement. Although it saved MacAlister the trouble of creating actual per
Lori Whitwam
This is a spin-off of the Aisling Grey, Guardian series. Aisling and Drake are peripheral characters in the story of May (a doeppelganger of the naiad Cyrene), who is bound to a demon lord and must steal things at his request. Handy, since she can blend with shadows at will, making her a very good thief. After encountering Aisling, Drake, and a silver dragon named Gabriel, May quickly learns that fate had created her as a dragon's mate... Gabriel's. But who is blackmailing Cyrene, and how will M ...more
WildAboutBones
This is the first novel in MacAlister's Silver Dragons paranormal romance series and is filled with dragon shapeshifters, a doppleganger, demon lords, a demon in dog form, thief takers, stolen artifacts, intersept (dragon groups) conflicts, an archimage, a thief, a naiad, a love found, a sacrifice for love, sexy romance (how would you like zero recovery time ) with humor woven all throughout.

Fans of MacAlister's Aisling Grey Guardian series will recognize several of the characters here from that
Michelle
supernatural super thief may (a doppelganger created from her naiad twin's shadow & common sense) is bound and obligated to the whims of a demon. in the course of stealing an object at the demon's command, she meets the dragon gabriel; romance & eternal commitment ensue.

macalister is really really cheating here.

by book 4 of her 'aisling grey, guardian' series, we've figured out 2 major weaknesses: while they're fun and breezy, the heroine's ditzy "oops, i'm in another pickle!" thing has
Lee Anne - OMG! Spring is Finally Here!
This sat on my to read list for a long time. I finally read it as part of a challenge and I now wish i hadn't waited so long to read it. I really enjoyed it.

May is wonderful! who knew a shadow could be so fun?

Gabriel is perfect. He's possessive, hot, and a dragon! I love dragon shifters. I only wish we got to see him in action (battle).

We're left with a cliffhanger, so of course I'll be off to read it.

There were some great lines in this. But my favorite came from Jim, the demon dog.

"We won't th
Roberta
May 12, 2008 Roberta rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal fans, MacAllister fans, dragon fans
Shelves: paranormal, romance
I don't know why, but this book just didn't do it for me as much as the Aisling/Drake books. It was good, but not great. The sex scenes were too quick for my tastes. Little foreplay. The ending was a definite cliffhanger, and it is obvious there is a sequel (because the excerpt at the end of the book is from it).

The main characters in this book are May a doppelganger of a naiad and Gabriel the wyvern of the Silver Dragons. For those who are fans of Drake, Aisling, and Jim, all three appear in th
Dragana
Ok, so this book maybe is more a 3-star than a 4-star read. But I had fun reading it. Gabriel was sexy and possessive in a good way. May pulled off perfectly than thin line between independent and woman-in-love and did not become wimpy and needy as it happens in some books. And array of weird side-characters only made this book more fun.
I accidentally read this book before Aisling Grey series, but I managed to understand what is going on... I planed to go back and read the prequel series, before
Becky
When the 4th Aisling Grey novel ended, readers wanted to see more of the story. KM delivered it with this book, focused on the Silver Dragons, arguably the most sympathetic after the Green.

I enjoyed this heroine, she's not as funny as Aisling, but she has substantially more common sense, which was nice for a change of pace.

I'm looking forward to the next installation.

These books are perfect for a fast, light read that you don't really want to admit to anyone :)
Kate
I liked it! When it first started out I was skeptical. I had liked the previous series, but wasn't sure how the author would pull off another female lead character. Thank goodness she was nothing like Aisling, I'm not sure I could have dealt with that.

I did think the easy affection between Gabriel and May was a little hard to believe. I sort of wished that had been a little more drawn out. They met and then BAM, sexxors, BAM, teh loves.
Sabine
Wiedersehen mit Aisling und Drake!

Was war ich enttäuscht, als ich Band 4 (Holy Smoke) ausgelesen hatte und feststellen musste, dass Kate MacAlister damit die Geschichte von Aisling und Drake beendet hatte. Dann aber fand ich heraus, dass zwar die Geschichte der grünen Drachen erstmal vorbei war, sie aber mit Gabriel und den silbernen Drachen weitermachte. Und bereits im dritten Kapital tauchte Jim (Effrijim) mit seinen gewohnt lustigen Sprüchen auf, dicht gefolgt von Aisling und Drake. Natürlich
Carolyn F.
Enjoyable book. The heroine May is so unique. I love her sister Cy too. And I'm really glad Gabriel has found love. This book ends in a huge cliff hanger, so of course I had to immediately start reading book 2. Great series.
Serra Zander
Pace wise, It started off really good, drags in the middle and picked back up in the last few chapters. Overall I like the world and the writing. I don't get how the Dragon thing works, but that's what makes it fantasy right? I'm tired of the "sex is so awesome I'm crying over it" and the whole "Not-a virgin but still haven't had many/any partners" things. Deal with it folks, Women have sex, often, and enjoy if for the most part. I'd like to see some romances that have a more realistic and adult ...more
Kim
So, apparently the Silver Dragon trilogy is three books about the same two characters. Whoops! I was at work today and finished the first one and didn't have the second one to immediately start. And, at teh end.. the bad guy was WINNING! O.O! But, I like the fact that the lead lady is a doppelganger. So cool. So original. And the dragon guy is cool. Gabriel. I like his emotional mix of cool and hot. And his possessive nature. No one touches May. But, he did adopt her sister's name for her. Mayli ...more
Christina G
Paranormal Romance #3 for a Reader's Advisory class

I think I liked this one a little better because of its sarcastic tone and more independent heroine. Still, the humor felt a bit forced, and I had trouble paying attention (so many mostly unimportant secondary characters!).

I'm starting to see some patterns in the genre:

* At the beginning of the book, the heroines are virgins uninterested in sex. They have exciting careers in male-dominated workplaces (journalist, auto mechanic, thief)
Tricia
The Good: This book get's 4 and a half stars for being hilarious and sexy. The Silver Dragons series is a follow up of the Aisling Grey: Guardian books. The story revolves around May a doppelganger and her twin, Cyrene who is a naiad. Okay so I like MacAlister's version of dooplegangers. The last one I read, the actual doppelganger is a humanoid creature with green skin that looks ugly but kills the person they want to look like and wears their skin [they do not take the person's skin, but killi ...more
Jenn
I read the Aisling Grey books quite a while ago and remember liking them a lot. I didn't LOVE them, but I did like them quite a bit. So, when I heard about this offshoot series, I put it on my used book store list to look for. I FINALLY found a copy, so I snatched it up.

I wasn't nearly as enamored of this one. I didn't particularly care for May. I didn't think the doppleganger idea held much water. To make a doppleganger, Cyrene has to sacrifice a character trait. She sacrifices her common sens
Clare Marie
Where to start? This book threw me around a lot, one minute I was sad, the next I was bouncing around and laughing. I didn’t know what to do with myself, and I definitely didn’t know how I was supposed to put the book down to go to work, or to get off the bus, or whatever! It was incredible, definitely keeps you interested and makes it painful to put down and stop reading once you’ve started it.

Katie MacAlister has been a long-time favourite of mine, since I discovered her ‘Dark One’s’ series –
Kerstin
This is the first book in the 'Silver Dragons' series and it is a quick and fun read. To really understand what's going on, it's probably a good idea to read the 'Aisling Grey' series first, which introduces us to most of the characters and includes some of the background story to the current situation.

May is a doppelganger and also a thief bound to a demon lord. When she tries to return a powerful item to its owner, she runs into Gabriel, head of the silver dragon sept. After finding out that s
Niina
(this review includes fan art by yours truly)

May is cat burglar my profession and doppelganger by none-birth, has hundred years of practice sneaking into houses and vaults to steal what her master, the demon lord Magoth, commands. After few unfortunate events she finds herself on the footsteps of Aisling Grey and her Dragon wyvern Drake. This isn't too bad but it turns out the Silver Dragon Sept Wyvern Gabriel is also there and by accident they discover May is in fact a Wyvern Mate, a rarity on
Jenger
I put off reading this since Aisling Gray wasn't the main character. I didn't think the series would be any good without her. You just can't come up with a better character in the strange world that is the setting for these books. However, I do like May quite a bit. I'm not too wild about her "twin" but it only makes sense she'd be a bit annoying considering she gave up her common sense in order to create May.

I do like Gabriel and the fact that he isn't just a Drake clone which could definitely
Paige
I really enjoyed entering the supernatural world of Dragons. After reading so many vampire books, this was a fresh breather that I truly enjoyed reading.

I felt some parts of the story line were hard to follow and although by the end I feel like I have a pretty clear idea of what happened, there are still a few questions that I have.

This is a really hard book to give a play by play summary of, so I'm just gonna tell what I liked.

I loved reading about the intensity that comes with being the mat
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
A great start to a new series! The silver wyvern, Gabriel, sparked my interest from his first appearance in the Aisling Grey series with his elegance and charm, so I was thrilled to hear he now has his own series! Due to an unfortunate curse placed on his sept, Gabriel has renounced the possibility of every finding his true mate. That all changes when he meets May, the first woman to withstand his dragon fire, who just happens to be a naiad's doppleganger and bound to a demon lord!

Gabriel and M
Claudia
ok, I had really high expectations of this one - don't know why, because it is my first book by Kati MacAlister ...
I expected a hot and funny paranormal romance ... but unfortunately that was not really what I got.

the characters where interesting and the story was sound but I missed something ... (view spoiler)
Romance Readers R...: January PIFM Buddy Read - Playing With Fire 8 16 Jan 11, 2012 11:02PM
  • Must Love Dragons (Immortally Sexy, #2)
  • Circus of the Darned (Ben and Fran, #2)
  • Dressed to Slay (Darkheart & Crosse Trilogy #1)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Karma Marx, #1)
  • What a Dragon Should Know (Dragon Kin, #3)
  • My Fair Viking (Viking I, #6)
  • The Dragon Master (Dragon, #3)
  • Serpent's Kiss (Elder Races, #3)
  • Kiss of Fate  (Dragonfire, #3)
  • Naked Dragon (Works Like Magick, #1)
  • Dead Girls Are Easy (Nicki Styx, #1)
  • Princess of the Damned
  • Wishful Thinking
  • The Wolf Who Loved Me (Westfield Wolves, #5)
  • Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2)
  • In the Blood (Sonja Blue, #2)
For as long as she can remember, Katie MacAlister has loved reading. Growing up in a family where a weekly visit to the library was a given, Katie spent much of her time with her nose buried in a book. Despite her love for novels, she didn't think of writing them until she was contracted to write a non-fiction book about software. Since her editor refused to allow her to include either witty dialo ...more
More about Katie MacAlister...
You Slay Me (Aisling Grey: Guardian, #1) Fire Me Up (Aisling Grey: Guardian, #2) Light My Fire (Aisling Grey: Guardian, #3) A Girl's Guide to Vampires (Dark Ones, #1) Holy Smokes (Aisling Grey: Guardian, #4)

“You want to …?” His other eye popped open as I started to slide down his body, intent on exploring that part of him which had given me so much pleasure. He grabbed me before I was able to move four inches. I looked up, worried that I had done something wrong. A familiar strained, tense look was on his face, his eyes screwed up tight. I looked down at his penis. It was no longer in a resting state. “I thought you were sated?”

I was. Until you went and mentioned doing that to me.
No! Don’t touch me there, woman! For the love of – grk!”

A half hour later, Gabriel, his arm wrapped around me because my legs were unusually weak, hustled me toward the house with a grim look on his face.

I will beat this,” he muttered. “I am a wyvern, I am strong. I will control my needs long enough to give you pleasure, and you will enjoy it, dammit!
I said nothing, but I smiled. A lot. [May and Gabriel, pg. 307]”
32 likes
“You taste of the cool water that hides deep in a stream. You taste of the night air, soft and scented and mysterious. The taste of you drives me wild. I want to be with you, be inside you, shout to the world that you are mine at the same time I want to keep you hidden where you will exist only for me. You make me feel invincible, little bird.” 10 likes