Start by marking “Posterity Posterity” as Want to Read:
Posterity Posterity

Posterity Posterity

An elegantly designed, beautifully composed volume of personal letters from famous American men and women that celebrates the American Experience and illuminates the rich history of some ofAmerica's most storied families.
"Posterity" is at once an epistolary chronicle of America and a fascinating glimpse into the hearts and minds of some ofhistory's most admired figures. S
Published April 13th 2004 by Anchor Books

To ask other readers questions about Posterity Posterity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Posterity Posterity

Emily
Jun 16, 2009 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
What a moving book. I loved reading the honest voices of these great men and women sharing their love, advice, faith, and humor, then signing so sweetly, "With Tenderest Affection, Daddy" (or mommy). The letters weren't all sweet, however, many also were harsh reprimands. I enjoyed the introduction bios just as much as the letters. It was interesting to find out about their accomplishments along with their personal lives and the circumstances surrounding the letters.

My complaint is that the let
Amor
Jun 03, 2012 Amor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I accidentally deleted this book from my list. What?!

This is the perfect book for a person with the desire to start reading biographies. It is organized by subject which is nice because the letters needn't be read in order. Also, it isn't filled with the minutia which can be intimidating to some readers. Each letter is preceded by a brief history about the person writing and the person receiving the letter; the history also provides a backdrop to the letter and offers the reader a glimpse as to
Nikie Elwood
Jan 05, 2012 Nikie Elwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Book Club book. I love David McCullough so I was excited to read something by his daughter. It took me a little while to get into reading a book in letter format--and I did find a few of the letters to be a little boring--but on the whole, I loved it. The letters range from funny, to ironic--Thomas Jefferson lecturing his daughter on the evils of debt--to touching and tragic. A great book.
Dot
Feb 27, 2010 Dot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great mix of past and recent historical figures. Some very surprising insights to people you think you knew.
Rachelle
Dec 27, 2012 Rachelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. George HW Bush has the best letter near the end. Shows the value of letters and the relationships between great and their children.
Danica
Jun 11, 2008 Danica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great collection of letters. I love writing and receiving letters and believe that it is becoming a lost art. This book demonstrates why it shouldn't.
Bethany Geffken
An intriguing peak into the lives of people who had great impact on American culture. I find it interesting that many of these writers are imploring their own children to listen to their advice which is so easily followed in their positions of power or influence. My favorite letters are by George and Barbara Bush and Eddie Rickenbacker.
Sarah Musser mcalister
This book was all right. I wish that I could have read a little more about who some of these people are. It was also sad to read some of these letters. My favorite letter was the one that Barbara Bush wrote to her kids. I'm glad that this book ended with that one.
Carlton Moore
Jun 22, 2017 Carlton Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nuggets of wisdom and interesting factoids from history.
Bill Krieger
Jun 04, 2015 Bill Krieger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! Posterity is one of my all-time favorite reads. The author is David McCullough's daughter. (pedigree!) As the subtitle says, she has collected "letters from great Americans to their children". I got this as a present from my own amazing daughter. (pedigree in reverse, ha!) Thanks, Hol!

If you have kids, then this is powerful reading. The letters are quite personal and intimate. Nearly all the letters are more than a century old, and nearly all the letter-writers are famous
John
Feb 16, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s an anthology, and, as such, the quality is uneven. Each reader will have his or her personal favorites. For me, Ansel Adams to Michael Adams (p. 14) was the most touching. If ever I can write a sentence with so perfect and beautiful an image, then my writing life will be complete: “I am wondering, in the afternoon of my life, just what your day will be.” Not far behind on my scale of enjoyment was N.C. Wyeth to Nat and Caroline Wyeth about his grandson Newell (p. 35). I appreciated the prac ...more
Sharman Wilson
Mar 15, 2014 Sharman Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This compilation of letters gives us a glimpse into the hearts and homes of some very public figures. Some of them were wonderful parents, others not so much. Some were very close to their children, others had little contact with them. My impression is that all of these parents, sooner or later, realized their responsibility toward their children, and that the bond between them was precious.

Reading these personal letters made me nostalgic for the time when our thoughts were carefully written on
Jenn
Mar 19, 2015 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This kind of book is best read slowly, when you have a little time here and a little time there. I read it for book club so felt an urgency to finish is quickly. I don't think it's meant to be read quickly. I didn't know or had never heard of A LOT of these "Great American's" some of them were poets and artist and most of them came from the 1700's and 1800's. The general theme was that these people ADORED their children, even expressing that kind of adoration when they were significantly older. ...more
Angie Bollard
Mar 11, 2009 Angie Bollard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book that gives a rare glimpse of the lives of great Americans. Just about every subject is raised. Character, money management, aging, family relationships. In short, everything that regular Americans experience. Some of the insights into the lives of these people that surprised me are as follows:

*General Pershing lost his wife and three daughters in a fire in 1915 and the only child living was his son Warren whom he chastized about his grades (He was worried he wouldn't mak
Lhawkins
I really appreciated this book, not only as a unique way to understand American History, but also as a way to introduce young people to using primary sources. And within the history, what you are learning about, is not the events, but rather the people who lived those events. It is a view right into their hearts as individuals. I am a firm believer that history is best looked at in personal way, and this makes it highly personal.
This is both a history book and a writing book. These are personal
Anonymous
Jul 18, 2013 Anonymous rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading personal writing - letters or journals - and this was a collection of great people. I only read through some of them before my library borrowing time ran out, but want to read more!

I just wish they would have included some pictures of the real letters and penmanship. Or, packaged it in a way where one page has a picture of the letter and the other has a transcription.
Mauri
Nov 11, 2008 Mauri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
'It was ok' sums this book up pretty well. It depended a little too much on the letters themselves to carry the whole theme. I rather enjoyed the little introductory paragraphs about each person and the background surrounding the letter.
Rhys
Nov 07, 2009 Rhys rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
A respectable first book by the daughter of one of America's premier historians, David McCullough. The letters chosen reflect intelligent researching and presentation, and provide inspiration and insight to the challenges faced by parents and their children in all ages.
Mar 19, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
May 2015 Book Club. Some treasures, some duds, nice bedtime book. Keep it by your bed and read a little here & there and then drift off to sleep.
Robert
Feb 14, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some real gems here. I especially liked the Rockefeller letters, among others.
Conrad Haas
The letters offers lessons in life, love, character, and compasion that surprise and enlighten the reader.
Katie
Apr 11, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to an interview with the author on NPR. She read a letter from Woody Guthrie to his son Arlo and I just sobbed.
Vj
Mar 24, 2016 Vj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gleaned a few insights into the thinking of various historical figures.
Lisa
Jul 06, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I especially enjoyed Teddy Roosevelt's letters, which surprised me. And who knew that Jack London was such an SOB (at least to his daughter)?
Dave
Nov 06, 2008 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book.
Not that entertaining but some interesting letters of counsel or comfort written by famous people to their children.
Tahirah
This book is a really interesing, an insight into the minds of the men and women who ruled in the old days.
Sari
Sep 09, 2013 Sari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of intimate conversations between historic families. My favorite was Barbara Bush- Keep Trying.
Brady
Sep 02, 2008 Brady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read.
Bonnie Arriola
it was ok.
Cindi
Jul 21, 2008 Cindi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second read and enjoying it even more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Letters of a Nation
  • Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present
  • Letters of the Century: America 1900-1999
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • All my best friends
  • The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary
  • Family Wealth: Keeping It in the Family--How Family Members and Their Advisers Preserve Human, Intellectual, and Financial Assets for Generations
  • Steinbeck: A Life in Letters
  • The Selected Journals Of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 3: 1921-1929
  • Things I Like About America: Personal Narratives
  • Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet
  • The Studs Terkel Reader: My American Century
  • Beatrix Potter's Journal
  • Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration During World War II and a Librarian Who Made a Difference
  • Sunday Nights at Seven
  • Take My Advice: Letters to the Next Generation from People Who Know a Thing or Two
  • The Gershwins and Me: A Personal History in Twelve Songs