Sleepy ABC

Sleepy ABC

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  24 reviews
From A is for Aaaah when a small kitten sighs to Z is for Zipper now zip into bed . . . here are twenty-six ways to say goodnight.

Margaret Wise Brown wrote this book not long after she wrote Goodnight Moon. (She knew a thing or two about putting little ones to bed.)

Now Karen Katz has made it shine with bright and cheerful new pictures. Any sleepy toddler will want to read...more
Published December 29th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published October 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepy ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepy ABC

Kirei
Sep 18, 2008 Kirei rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: babies to preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
This is a sweet book with dream pictures. If you aren't religious, you may want to avoid it because "H is for Heaven high over head"
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. The version we read featured illustrations by Esphyr Slobodkina, and was a reprint of the 1953 original.

My son loves ABC books, but this one was a bit young for him. I only regained his attention after I added the word "like Molly" (our kitten) after some of the stanzas. That the text is too young for my son is not a criticism, however. Had I discovered this book two years ago, I probably would have bought it -- even though I...more
Pamela
Jan 19, 2011 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Pamela by: Anyone
Shelves: toddler-reads
"Sleepy ABC" by Margaret Wise Brown was an okay read. I had gotten the book from the library previously for my daughter to help with her ABCs, and it certainly does that...the pictures illustrated by Karen Katz are a great complement to the book. My daughter really enjoyed looking at the pictures and all the different colors.
However, I checked this book out a 2nd time because it was recommended to me as a book I could read to my daughter when trying to get her to go to sleep. Well...after we fin...more
Rima Aroutiounian
"Sleeping ABC" is an alphabet book that will help with letter knowledge in children. It is a colorful and large print for visuals. A is for Aaaaah when a small kitten sights. Great for print awareness and motivation too.
Kelly
I am on the hunt for a good ABC book, and I have two criteria. First, I want the book to tell a story, not just be a random assortment of words. Second, I want the illustrations to show each letter prominently and clearly. (Even young babies can start to discern geometric shapes like letters. See the book "Baby Minds" for more information.)[return][return]Of the 10 or so ABC books I flipped through at the library, this one had the biggest and clearest letters, although the background behind each...more
Jeanette
I have read both the original version of this book with illustrations by Esphyr Slobidkina and the updated version with the illustrations by Karen Katz. Must say I prefer the original but I never have been a fan of Katz.
Margaret Wise Brown and Esphyr Slobodkina were friends for a number of years and it was Brown who helped the future award winning author/illustrator Slobodkina get started in children's book publishing. The first book Slobodkina illustrated was one Brown wrote specifically for h...more
jacky
Huh, is this really written by Margaret Wise Brown, but illustrated by Karen Katz? Interesting. I assumed it was a Katz book from her signature illustrations.

This was read at the end of play group today. Natalie was interested for a bit, but then went off to play with her new friend (who has the same birthday as her!). I think it would make a better bed time book for a child a bit older, since it is long for a one year old to sit through.
christine
Perfect bedtime alpha review for the Little ones. Full of things toddlers love like animals and being tucked in by mom. Bright pictures keep them interested but not over stimulated for sleep.
What a great way to master the alphabet maybe even get them to dream up some letters and make up there own rhymes. Just Perfect!
We just got this title in. It is part of my enrichment, and my attempt to increase the number of ABC books that I know of to provide to parents. I like that it has a story to go with the concept. Also this edition is durable, which is good because I'm sure it will check out every 2-3 weeks for the next 7-20 yrs.
Lisa
I wasn't a fan of the illustrations. I don't like the part of the book that says:

"X is for all the things you can play."

This is the same author that wrote "Goodnight Moon" and "Runaway Bunny!?"

I think I'll look for some different ABC books.

Ruth Ann
This book received mixed reviews so I wanted to see it for myself. Yes, I understand some of the verses are far-fetched and sound ridiculous. I could still use it in a storytime, however. There are ways to get around the text in a storytime setting.
narajaponesa
Kind of cool how they took Margaret Wise Brown's text from 1953 and updated the artwork in 2010. Some may think this is sacrilege but I think it works. A lovely Pajama Storytime type of book.
Not impressed with the read. I'm not surprised as I feel that everything written by Wise Brown is automatically granted greatness without meriting it. Enjoyed Katz' illustrations though.
Connie Klever
Adorable edition with illustrations by Karen Katz. Bright and big pictures perfect for early literacy experiences, pre-k storytime.
Liz Todd
Not too interesting, but that's what I usually say about MWB. Kids love her, though..
Mary
Feb 03, 2010 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Cute babies get ready for bed as they work their way through the alphabet.
Michelle
I read the edition illustrated by Esphyr Slobodkina. What a duo!
Marcie
Lovely new illustrations for this classic bedtime book.
Michelle Neuwirth Gray
I used this for my multicultrally themed storytime. :)
Prplpckl
Cut alphabet book and bedtime story.
Molly
Fun and a little quirky (surprise!).
Thia
Dec 08, 2010 Thia added it
Shelves: building-blocks
abc
Tarah
Tarah added it
Jul 30, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Sharlene
Sharlene marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p...more
More about Margaret Wise Brown...
Goodnight Moon The Runaway Bunny Big Red Barn Home for a Bunny The Color Kittens (A Little Golden Book)