The Experts' Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do

The Experts' Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  54 reviews
The simplest things are the hardest to master. From brewing your morning cup of coffee and reading the newspaper to apologizing or remembering names, it’s the small stuff that makes up day-to-day life. The Experts’ Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do provides unparalleled insights into how to do them better—more resourcefully, more effectively, and more effi...more
Published March 4th 2009 by Potter Style (first published September 21st 2004)

Christine
One of the most surprisingly enjoyable books I've run across. Has entries on "how to wash your hair" by a leading hair sylist in New York, or "how to jog" by a 10-time winner of the Boston marathon...or "how to get out a stain" by Heloise. You get the point. It's a fun read with 2-3 page chapters - good for bathroom readers or busy moms.
Scott
My sister gave this to me for Christmas, and it has been my upstairs bathroom reading material pretty much since then. It works very well for that. And I have learned some techniques to use for things.

The book is a series of brief how-to essays on various things most people do regularly. The essays are written by acknowledged leaders or experts (or a few celebrities) explaining how to do things. Michael has occasionally read some of it as well, and we've discussed/debated things suggested.

I wil...more
Brent
Light, easy to read, entertaining book about 100 things you're supposed to know how to do like read out loud, barbecue, change a flat tire, write a thank you note, those kinds of things. I learned a couple of interesting tidbits.

Not bad over all. I skipped the parts about drinking wine and applying lipstick. Hopefully that last one won't come back to bite me in the end...just in case I get cast in the "Rocky Horror Picture Show", or a remake of "Tootsie" or a remake of "Bosom Buddies" or that mo...more
Tara List
Loved this. Still working on some things from this book. Like how to tie a niecktie. I feel like as a woman,I sometimes rely too much on that others could do for me. Just because I am a woman doesn't mean I should know how to do these things. Like change a tire. I felt empowered after reading this.
Missy Atkin
This is a really cute book, filled with things everyone really should know how to do!
Remo

Pequeña guía en plan cool en la que 100 expertos en su campo nos hablan de cómo hay que hacer ciertas cosas. Así, Grete Waitz, nueve veces campeona del maratón de Nueva York y medalla de plata en Los Ángeles ’84 nos cuenta cómo debemos hacer footing. El director del NY times nos cuenta cómo leer un periódico (no cómo leerlo, sino cómo interpretarlo). El jefe del CDC (Center for Disease Control, los de la peli “Estallido”) nos explica cómo lavarnos las manos… Por supuesto, son articulillos en los

Cookielover
As a very cute book impossible not to fly through, I give it five stars for being witty and helpful. With topics like How to Breathe (impossible steps!) and How to Kiss (um, descriptive much?) I'm glad I borrowed this from my teacher. I recommend it to all--you WILL learn something new.
Christina
I picked this up at the library last week on impulse thinking "sure, I would like to know how to do these 100 things that are important." Well, I am pretty sure everyone I know is well versed in how to do these things without the book. Pearls of wisdom from this text include (but are certainly not limited to), the gentle cycle of the washing machine is for delicates, and add a chair to the dinner table when a guest brings an uninvited person. I did not read the book in its entirety and do not re...more
Molly
I love little helpful tips like these!
Leslie
The author interviewed some of the experts in 100 different things that she feels everyone should know how to do. I admit that the subjects of this book went from boring (how to tie a bowtie) to interesting (how to remove stains) to entertaining (how to flirt, how to get background info on someone, etc). Not all the things I could use and some I wish I had heard many years ago (the flirting one! and several others). The audio version is good though because they use different narrators for the in...more
Nicky
Distilled in 2 page essay, some are interesting, some are useful, some are annoying. When an expert is asked to teach, some can help you cut through the largeness of a field to point you in a good direction. But some say things like- choose an 'appropriate' plant and completely miss the point of how to be helpful.
This was ok, but not really a book to sit and read through, more like something to have on a shelf and perhaps help start a conversation.
Shelley
I listened to this as an audiobook and found it to be very fascinating. There were some things that I already knew how to do, like wash my hands, do laundry, or hang a picture. But there were many that I didn't know, like how to set a formal dining table, tie a bow tie, or take a picture. This is one book that I would like to have a paper copy of for future reference, and is certainly one that would make a fun gift for someone!
Marianne
Quick read, and I liked learning some things I didn't know how to do (according to the authors): Make Eggs, Tie a Windsor Tie, Shine Shoes, Shovel Snow. As a military spouse who has moved more than 7 times in the last 14 years, I expected to find the Relocate essay extremely relatable. I was wrong, and therefore gained a whole new perspective on moving, making friends and living in a community.
Charity
This book filled some knowledge gaps that I had. I learned things that by rights I should already know how to do, but it was nice to see it all spelled out; like how to make a bed, how to shave, how to tie a tie, how to apologize, etc. I think there are many more life skills that could have been included and I would love to see an expanded edition. Dan and I are talking of writing up one for our kids.
Jenny
Quite good. Jean-Georges did the "Make Eggs" section. I liked the "Wash Your Hair", "Manage Your Time", "Give and Receive a Compliment", "Make Conversation", "Remember Names", "Tell a Story", "Deliver Bad News", "Make Tea", "Relax", "Be a Good Houseguest","Hold a Baby", and "Pack for a Trip".

I did not like "Understand Your Pet" - that was super dumb.
Erik
Jan 10, 2011 Erik marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erik by: Harvard Magazine
"Seven of the pontificating experts are Harvardians, viz: Thuy Tranthi, M.B.A. '93, on how to tie a Windsor knot; Terry Lenzner '61, LL.B. '64, on how to conduct a background investigation; and Ronald Winston '63, on how to buy a diamond. Much wisdom here, but the expert on scrambled eggs is mistaken." - Harvard Magazine, Jan/Feb-05
Elizabeth
An all around enjoyable and useful read, this book is comprised of 100 short essays on everything from kissing to breathing to making coffee. Excellent for reading on the train or the pot or just before bed - you can knock out a couple of very informative pages and feel like you've accomplished something - in no time flat!
Jeri
This is a neat book. It had some tips on common sense things that I didn't know how to do or didn't know how to do as well as the expert. Some of the experts weren't writers, and I thought that the editor should have guided them in their passages a little more.

Overall, I'm glad that I read this.
Amber
I saw this at the library "sure, I would like to know how to do these 100 things that are important." Well, I am pretty sure everyone I knows how to do these things without the book. My favorite was add a chair to the dinner table when a guest brings an uninvited person. No Really!!
James
Fun idea, and some genuinely insightful advice. The quality of the advice varies from article to article, expert to expert and some you will you just skip over entirely (How to tie a bow tie). Overall though a good summer read; light and for the most part entertaining.
Eric Bell
This book is an odd hodge-podge of various things that you might care to know or might not care to know. From how to tie your tie to how to bake chocolate chip cookies, this book covers a number of skills that an average person will need at some point in their life.
Maria (Ri)
Great idea for a book! So many of these little instructions were written by the person who I would really like to most learn that skill from as well! I learned quite a few things from this easy to read book. I'll certainly look for more books in this series.
Caryn
it took me forever to read this book as there was no storyline, no plot, nothing to hold my interest. and some things are hard to teach via the written word, like driving a stick shift. as such, i am not sure how effective entries like that were.

Kenna
I really enjoyed this book, very interesting and entertaining. It's got 100 short essays by experts on how to do things - how to listen by Larry King, give and receive a compliment by Ms Demeanor, wash your hair by Frederic Fekkai. An easy, fun read.
lindsay
this was a lot of fun--one of those books you can't put down. the variety is what keeps you reading, and all of the "things" are covered in 2 pages or fewer, so it all seems do-able. now i "know" how to sew a button, wash my hair, remember names, and kiss! ;)
Michael
This book is interesting, funny and engaging. It has already helped me to improve my life and I am working every day on perfecting my shave and making the bed right, and vacuuming the carpet more efficiently.....
Anna
Unless you are in desperate need to learn how to fly a flag I don't recomened this book. Every once and a while there was good advice but a lot of the time I found myself skipping the pages I didn't care about.
Linda
This was an interesting book, but almost an information overload, while at the same time offering pretty obvious guidance. A few chapters were helpful. Probably more of a reference than a direct read.
Jenn
I read this while giving the ACT. A cute book with some useful tips, but I will admit I do not know how to do a lot of the stuff in that book (why do I need to know how to tie a bowtie?).
Ashli
This book is GREAT! It tells you how to do everything! Each section is only a few pages, so you can learn something even if you only have 5 minutes to read. I think this is a great gift, too!
  • Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home
  • Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things NOT Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Dating and Sex
  • Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything
  • 100 Essential Things You Didn't Know You Didn't Know
  • Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things
  • The Girl's Guide to Absolutely Everything: Advice on Absolutely Everything
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • The Hip Girl's Guide to Homemaking: Decorating, Dining, and the Gratifying Pleasures of Self-Sufficiency--on a Budget!
  • The Amazing Book of Useless Information: More Things You Didn't Need to Know But Are About to Find Out
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • Show Me How: 500 Things You Should Know Instructions for Life From the Everyday to the Exotic
  • Taming the Infinite: The Story of Mathematics from the First Numbers to Chaos Theory
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • Inventing Wine: A New History of One of the World's Most Ancient Pleasures
  • Never Shower in a Thunderstorm
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
The Experts' Guide to Doing Things Faster: 100 Ways to Make Life More Efficient The Experts' Guide to Life at Home The Experts' Guide to the Baby Years: 100 Things Every Parent Should Know