Higgledy-Piggledy Chicks

Higgledy-Piggledy Chicks

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Pip. Rip! Peek. Peep!

Mama has seven fuzzy new chicks. The barnyard is big. Things sparkle, things flap, and things wiggle, and the chicks want to know about all of them.

Zzzzip!

They scoot higgledy-piggledy here and there.

Mama clucks, "Watch out for danger!" But they are too curious, and they get into trouble.

Luckily, there's always a place under Mama's wing for the fuzzy c...more
Published January 26th 2010 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2010)

Kristie
•Brief summary
This book is a bout seven little chick and there mama who tries very hard to keep them safe. These seven little chick learn that its ok to run and play but they need to be safe. These little chicks run into a cat with sharp claws, a snake with sharp teeth and a racoon. Mama explains to the chicks that she can not be every where at once and they need to be careful.

•Audience
pre-school, kindergarder

•Appeal
The pictures and very large and some are very funny.

•Implementation
I would u...more
Tanika
This story is about a mama who has seven new chicks. The chicks want to explore the barnyard because it is new to them. Mama tells the chicks, “Watch out for danger!” They are so curious that they get into trouble. They know they can always go back to a safe place, which is under mama’s wing. This story is good for students who want to explore and know that they have a safe place to go to. Good for preschoolers.
Ms. B
Delightful! This is a great book for introducing your children or students to the life cycle of chickens while teaching basic counting concepts. The illustrations will have you in awe, too.
Dolly
Jun 14, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Cute book that describes how baby chicks hatch and how the mother hen takes care of them. It has fun, colorful illustrations and a simple, but interesting narrative. It's a fun book to read aloud.
Nancy J.
the illustations are cute and I appreciate the final two pages with facts about chicks and the author's farm
Rachel
Simple and straightforward but it misses some natural things like the hen sitting on her eggs.
None
it takes a village, for kids.
K Long
Amy
Amy added it
Apr 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Barbara Joosse has written many books for children. Among them are Mama, Do You Love Me?, illustrated by Barbara Lavallee; and I Love You the Purplest, illustrated by Mary Whyte. She says, "When I was a little girl, I wished for two things — a best friend, and something so ferocious it would scare away the monsters under my bed. And so I have written Lovabye Dragon. I think maybe it’s for little m...more
More about Barbara Joosse...
Mama, Do You Love Me? I Love You the Purplest Lovabye Dragon Papa, Do You Love Me? Hooray Parade