Start by marking “30 Days of Night: Return to Barrow” as Want to Read:
30 Days of Night: Return to Barrow

30 Days of Night: Return to Barrow (30 Days of Night #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  15,602 Ratings  ·  445 Reviews
The story of an isolated Alaskan town that is plunged into darkness for a month each year when the sun sinks below the horizon. As the last rays of light fade, the town is attacked by a bloodthirsty gang of vampires bent on an uninterrupted orgy of destruction. Only the small town's husband-and-wife Sheriff team stand between the survivors and certain destruction.

This spe

Published March 27th 2007 by Turtleback Books (first published 2001)

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈

Read a book with a number in the title

Man this was fun.

I watched this movie umpteen million years ago when it came out and Josh Hartnett was still the premiere heartthrob of the day. It had vampires exactly the way I like them. Vicious and animalistic. Merciless hunters but still intelligent and exacting. It was a movie that was very heavy on action and gore and survival but a little lighter on plot and nuance.

The comic is even better.

I loved Ben Templesmith's art. Loved loved loved loved loved
Anna
Oct 27, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Την περίοδο που οι βρικόλακες στην τέχνη έγιναν χορτοφάγοι και ευαισθητούληδες, ήρθε αυτό το βιβλίο για να μας θυμίσει ... τι εστί βερίκοκο! Βρικόλακες - τέρατα, κυνηγάνε σαν αρπακτικά την ανθρώπινη λεία τους, χωρίς δισταγμούς, συναισθηματισμούς ή ηθικές αξίες, οργανωμένοι σε κοπάδι σαρκοφάγων, με τον αρχηγό της αγέλης να δίνει το γενικό πρόσταγμα. Σκοτεινό και ατμοσφαιρικό, με το σκηνικό του κυνηγιού να διαδραματίζεται σε μια πόλη της Αλάσκας βυθισμένη στο σκοτάδι για 30 μέρες κατά την περίοδο ...more
Jeremy Stephens
I found this graphic novel to be very overrated. I'd like to start off by saying I love the premise- a group of vampires rampaging in an Alaskan town during its annual thirty days of darkness. The problem I have is that the story seemed so rushed. I saw this story as having so much potential and yet the conflict was quickly resolved in a mere two pages. Further more, I felt that the vampires were defeated way too easily. It was almost as if the writer got bored with the story and decided to jus ...more
Kristijan
Jun 10, 2015 Kristijan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. zvezdica za ideju: Vampiri čekaju da na Aljasci padne nooooooooć da bi napravili pravi mali krvavi pir
2. zvezdica za artwork: Prilično minimalistički u poređenju sa nekim grafičkim novelama, ali po meni sasvim odgovara i tematici i settingu i mračnoj noti koju ova grafička novela ima
3. zvezdica zato što vampiri ne sjaje već su žestoke krvopije
4. zvezdica za humor autora
5. zvezdica zato što sam progutao novelu u rekordnom roku - i bio odmah spreman za još!!!

Nedostaci (da, oni postoje ali ne ut
Marianna Neal
As a fan of horror and scary vampires that don't sparkle, I have to say I really enjoyed this dark and brutal story with its unique art. My only complaint is that it's actually too fast-paced, to the point where it feels too brief. The story covers a month worth of time, but feels more like a couple of days. I'll definitely be reading more though!
Christopher
If there's one thing to take comfort in when under attack by vampires, it's that you only have to survive for at the most a few hours until the sun comes back out. But what if you're in a small Alaskan town and the sun won't be coming out for a month?

This is an incredible setup for a horror story. It's a unique take that introduces new possibilities for vampires, set in an isolated territory with distinct borders. Unfortunately, this is the only thing the book gets right. It's a total waste of a
Nilo
Feb 17, 2015 Nilo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple but point-black storyline is what this graphic novel offers. It has an unrestrained rhythm and one of the best final lines I've ever read. Definitely Steves Niles has a new fan on me. As regard the artwork, it is so darksome, noisy and kind of grungy. Ben Templesmith really knows how to reflect an spectacular horror atmosphere.

Perhaps the only thing I dislike is the fact that it doesn't have a more elaborate character development; but it is okay considering this is the first volume tho
Kazza
Nov 07, 2016 Kazza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, horror
This is how you do vampires and scary shit.
Jesse
Jan 14, 2009 Jesse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel takes an interesting premise - vampires attacking a small town while it lies sunless through an arctic winter - and completely squanders it through mediocre writing and irritating artwork. The characters are beyond shallow, with a few stock lines parceled out on each page, and virtually no actual dialog. Worse, the artist chose to locate the human characters in the same region of the uncanny valley as the monsters, making it hard not to cheer for them to turn their weapons upo ...more
Erika
Loved the artwork, but I'm kind of so-so on the storyline. I think that has more to do with having seen the before prior to reading this though. This didn't seem quite as fleshed out in comparison. I haven't seen any of the half-baked sequels though, so I'm going into the rest of these blind. I'm hoping it helps..
Ken-ichi
Aug 12, 2009 Ken-ichi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: escape, comics
Vampires go apeshit when they realize (finally) that there are 30 days where the sun never sets in Podunk, AK. Art's kinda fun, story's kinda dumb. No surprises there.
Liz Janet
Mar 23, 2016 Liz Janet rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I felt nothing.
Kate
Sep 26, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There's a lot to like with this graphic novel, visually it is pretty stunning although it might not suit everyone. At times it looked quite blurred as though the artist doesn't want you seeing some things too clearly. The artwork still looks pretty amazing but consistency seems to be a bit of an issue, I noticed this more in the beginning of the comic more than the end.

The colour palette is dark, to suit the hopelessness of the survivors situation, with vibrant red being used liberally when blo
Paul Nelson
May 04, 2013 Paul Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Finally got to read the graphic novel that spurned the movie and I have to say it is impressive.
The artwork is something I think you have to get used to, not overly detailed, dark and blurry but it sets the atmosphere to the story perfectly. The darkness brings a world of shadow, hiding places in every corner, creepy and at the same time adrenaline infused.
The story is frantically paced and as a result you never get a connection to the characters, this is one point where the film triumphs over t
Maryam
Actual rating 2.5
Gef
Oct 25, 2010 Gef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw the film adaptation of this novel a few years ago and was delighted to see a genuinely good movie that was: 1) adapted from a comic book, because--let's face it--not all of them have been worth bragging about; 2) firmly entrenched in the horror genre, because--again, let's face it--Hollywood and horror rarely blend well. So, after enjoying the movie I finally got around to reading its source material, and I think is another example of how a good movie comes from a better book.

It's apparen
Guillermo
I'm one of those people who saw 30 Days of Night the movie before picking up a copy of the graphic novel - written by Steve Niles and illustrated by Ben Templesmith. And while the movie is rather vague now - I must've watched it at least two years ago - I have to utter the unholy phrase of "I liked the movie better."

Don't get me wrong, the graphic novel's a must read - dare I say, a part of the ever growing canon of Vampire Literature. But it's lacks something that the movie offers: Build up.

Sur
Estelle
Disappointing. There's potential there but the story feels way too rushed and ends too quickly, too easily. There's hardly any suspense or tension at all. As for the artwork I can't decide if I liked it or not. Sometimes it looks great, but mostly it's a mess and it's hard to see what is really happening.
Ugh.
Wealhtheow
Aug 31, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Thirty days without sunshine means a whole month of fun for creatures of the underworld. The art is beautiful (if gory) and the story vivid.
Samantha A
Mar 10, 2014 Samantha A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark, creepy, and all around awesome! Loving graphic novels right now. I really, really loved this one, especially with the different type of artwork going on. Gave it such an eerie vibe.
Trudi
LOVED the drawings...amazing atmosphere. Steve Niles has single-handedly re-invented the vampire, stealing it back from the trashy, paranormal bodice rippers!
Querus Abuttu
Mar 22, 2012 Querus Abuttu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kyle
Aug 21, 2016 Kyle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was a major letdown. I absolutely loved the film version, so I thought I'd give this a shot. I gotta say, though, this graphic novel from which the film originates is actually pretty shitty. At least, this first volume is (it's not like I'm going to continue with this series, but still...).

What I thought would happen was each volume would cover a few days during the actual "30 days of night" ... but no. Instead, we rush through the entire 30 days in just under 80-something pages. The
Hilary
Jul 13, 2012 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and quick. 30 Days of Night is a brilliant concept that... well, I'm as surprised as Steve Niles was that it hadn't been used before. In Barrow, Alaska the sun sets in November and doesn't rise again for a full month. Where else would vampires go, but such a place, for a feast? How would the townspeople react?

The story is simple, but the artwork is maddeningly beautiful. Each image is grotesque and stunningly rendered. The pictures are blurred, swirling, and close to having the same sort o
Emily
Nov 10, 2007 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well. This was a pick from my book club. When I first saw the cover, I was like, "what are they thinking?!?" Then I found out that it was a graphic novel...then I found out that a graphic novel is just a fancy name for comic book. So, I was especially apprehensive about the read. But, I finally sat down with it and a cup of coffee and finished it in about a half and hour. It was pretty interesting. The premise of the book is very clever: Vampires congregate and attack a small town in Alaska wher ...more
Magila
4.5

I always have a little bit of a hard time with books that are peppered with obscenities. It feels not creative. This wasn't the worst culprit, but you need to expect going into it that this is a book for mature audiences, and while the blood and death aren't too graphic as a result of the art, the dialogue is intense and sure to offend some readers.

At times, the art was so impressionistic that it became a little difficult to see exactly what was going on. This said, it added to the story far
Chris L Rowan
Feb 19, 2014 Chris L Rowan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a muddled mess. I get the concept. Small, secluded town. No sun for thirty days. Vampire heaven. The story is very jumpy. It is all over the place with very few details. There are no character descriptions. Very few of the characters are even named. The artwork is so dark and splotchy that details are nonexistent. Who are the vampires? Who is the woman from New Orleans? If there were only 19 survivors, and the majority of the town was scorched, then how can you come back for the seq ...more
Erica
Feb 08, 2017 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even know that the movie was based on a comic until today and seeing as I still vividly remember the nightmares the movie brought on the first time I watched it, I was curious to see how the comic would compare.

I'm honestly torn between my feelings for the art. While I think the darkness suits the story, I'm not the biggest fan of it.
As for the story itself, volume one feels very much like a build-up and as such I can't really rate it any higher than a three.

One difference I think I'
Wes Lisi
Nov 02, 2016 Wes Lisi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I would recommend this to someone who loves a quick but great horror
The graphic novel 30 days of night was a great short horror. The book is a small town in northern Alaska where 30 days at a time the sun doesn't set. Now put vampires into the equation and it turns out to be a pretty gruesome. https://thebookson.files.wordpress.co... the art style is very bold. At first, it was hard to read because some of the faces will mess with your head but that makes up for it because the vibrant colors that were used were great, considering that the book's background is mo ...more
Matt Ryan
Oct 21, 2014 Matt Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story opens in a snowy village in Alaska. It is at a point in the year where the sun sets and does not rise for a full 30 days. During this time, the residents of the village fall under attack by Vampires who are just having a field day at the fact that they can be out for 30 whole nights.

Everything from the art, suspense, and the plot kept me into this book. I really enjoyed everything about it, had an interesting story, that kept you wondering what will happen next, it had a good amount of
Castle Dracula: 30 Days of Night 2 6 Sep 16, 2016 06:39AM
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 6: Spreading the Disease
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 10: 30 Days 'Til Death
  • 30 Days of Night: Official Novelization of The Film
  • Blood: The Last Vampire 2002
  • Johnny The Homicidal Maniac #1
  • Fell, Feral City
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • The Crow
  • The Art of Sin City
  • Le Portrait de Petite Cossette 1 (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, #1)
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins
  • Lovecraft
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer
  • Hellblazer: All His Engines
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 1: London Calling
  • Wanted
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing
More about Steve Niles...

30 Days of Night (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 9: Beyond Barrow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 10: 30 Days 'Til Death
  • 30 Days of Night: Night, Again

“The climate of Barrow is Arctic. Temperatures range from cold as shit to fucking freezing.” 24 likes
“Los que fueron masacrados huyeron a su manera. Huyeron hacia algo que había mas allá; el cielo o en el peor de los casos la oscuridad eterna. Ellos fueron los afortunados porque los que quedan atrás están en el infierno.” 1 likes