Start by marking “Dragon Companion” as Want to Read:
Dragon Companion

Dragon Companion (Dragon Companion #1)

Human Seeks Employment. Former Librarian with Dragonriding Skills. Thomas Whitehead, a mild mannered librarian from Iowa becomes magically transported to the magical kingdom of Carolna. Tom soon discoveres his new home has knights and castles, magic, and talking dragons. Tom has a chance meeting with the dragon, Retruance Constable, who finds him interesting enough to "ado ...more
Published October 31st 2005 by Mundania Press LLC (first published November 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Companion

Magpie
Oct 21, 2014 Magpie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-shelf, novel
This is personally my most beloved book. in fact, it is easy for me to say that it is the best I have ever read. This novel is the one and only book from my collection that I would ensure to save in the event of emergency (fire, flood, evacuation) and I have read this novel (and the rest of the Dragon series) over two dozen times since it has found it's way into my hands.

I feel that, in time, every reader will find an author that speaks the exact same language as they do... well Don Callander is
M—
Jul 20, 2012 M— rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
DNF — I got maybe twenty pages in. Standard old-school quest with an human unexpected flung in to a fantasy world (think The Dragon and the George or Silverlock) that I had picked up because the human character is nominally a librarian, but the book quite frankly bored me to tears.
Caroline
Dragon Companion by Don Callander is a light-hearted, easy-going fantasy. Tom, a librarian, is suddenly transported to a magical, pseudo-medieval style world where he becomes a dragon’s companion, helps the king, and wins a girl.

The good guys have every kind of virtue; the bad guys don’t do anything too evil.

The tone of the books strikes exactly the right balance. It does not take itself too seriously; neither does it go too goofy. The humor is affectionate, rather than snarky. Dragon Companion
Patty
Sep 11, 2008 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Librarian entering a fantasy world...the common man entering a fantasy world is almost a genre in itself, but at first this guy doesn't want to save the world, he wants to organize their Library!
Elsi
Mar 27, 2010 Elsi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
So much fun. I read that the books in this series are being re-released and I hope to locate the other two books in the trilogy at some time.
Kel
Oct 21, 2009 Kel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I have been trying to get into this book for years and finally did so. It was pretty amusing.
Cloud
Nov 29, 2010 Cloud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really a cute book. Has an innoncent flair that reminds me of The Princess Bride in some ways. A fun world, really enjoyed the characters and their adventures.
ron glaser
ron glaser rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Tysha
Tysha rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Munsoned
Munsoned rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Jolyn
Jolyn rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Mikelle
Mikelle rated it did not like it
Jan 11, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Rodney Stephens
Rodney Stephens rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2014
Channananana
Channananana rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2010
Grasshopper
Grasshopper rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2010
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
John White
John White rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Gunjan
Gunjan rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Jonathan King
Jonathan King rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2014
Eriq
Eriq rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2011
F.J. Hansen
F.J. Hansen rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2010
Brenda Kirton
Brenda Kirton rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2011
John
John rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2009
MK Mons
MK Mons rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2014
Jonathon
Jonathon rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Dragonling (The Dragonling, #1)
  • The Curse of Slagfid
  • Mage Quest (Daimbert, #3)
  • Duel of Dragons (Dragonsword, #2)
  • The Book of Water (Dragon Quartet, #2)
  • Star Trek Log Eight (Star Trek: Logs, #8)
  • The Wizardry Quested (Wiz, #5)
  • Fire Ship (Star Trek: The Captains Table, #4)
  • Wizard War
  • The Tomorrow Log
  • Stealing the Elf-King's Roses
  • Delirium's Mistress (Flat Earth, #4)
  • The Rainbow Abyss (Sun-Cross, #1)
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • The Dragons of Noor
Donald Bruce Callander (1930–2008) was an American fantasy novel author, photographer, editor and graphic artist. He authored Pyromancer, a tale of young wizard-in-training Douglas Brightglade, and nine other published novels.

Born in Minnesota, Callander joined the U.S. Navy after high school, serving four years of active duty during the Korean War, and then 20 years in the U.S. Naval Reserve. In
More about Don Callander...

Dragon Companion (2 books)
  • Dragon Rescue (Dragon Companion, #2)