Start by marking “Jumping the Nail” as Want to Read:
Jumping the Nail

Jumping the Nail

At seventeen, Dru gets involved with the latest high school stunt-leaping between deadly cliffs into the ocean far below. Things get out of hand as manipulative relationships and resulting jealousies cause more students to risk their lives. “It’s Bunting’s acknowledgment of the allure of danger and the power that comes from facing it, as well as her on-target depiction of ...more
Published May 1st 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Jumping the Nail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jumping the Nail

Chris
Nov 27, 2016 Chris rated it liked it
This is a very strange and frustrating book in that it ends just as it was starting to rev up! The romance aspect is very 1980s-Sweet Dream Romance-esque, but the more haunting psychological elements of the story are intriguing and should have been explored more. Beware of writers who constantly have their characters use other characters' first names in dialogue. 2.5 stars.
Penny
Apr 19, 2009 Penny rated it it was amazing
What I learned from reading 'jumping the nail' is that when you care for someone you'll show it somehow like trying to help them make the right decissions.In this book t shows that there are two best friends and they are both very close. One of the girls had a boyfriend who was very coll and wild. So there was this cliff which lead to water called the nail. So the girl with the boyfriend jumped the nail with her boyfriend and swore she saw a girl down there telling her to stay. She told her best ...more
Bryan Panara
Sep 29, 2011 Bryan Panara rated it really liked it
I think that this book was a great book. At sertain parts it had me thinking whether or not im going to keep reading it or not. But, mostly everyother part made me stand on the edge of my seat with what was going to happen next. It was very discriptive with the information that you were being told. The ending of the book really threw me off and it was like an "out of the blue" ending and that's what i think is one of the best parts of this book.
Sadi
Sep 13, 2013 Sadi rated it liked it
This book as a teen scared the hell out of me and oddly still does. There is just something dark under the surface that bothered then and now. I highly recommend this for high school and up. The middle school rating on it I would not listen to because some of the subject matter is just a little to old for an eleven / twelve year old to handle.
Peggy
Jan 03, 2011 Peggy rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
Well written and intense but the ending was hard to take. Very much a 'mature' subject matter when you get to the end but a great book to teach about what constitutes love and what you do to show that love.
Julie Bowerman
Sep 14, 2013 Julie Bowerman rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I read this as a possible ninth grade book for class study since there are a bunch of them lying around. I liked the storyline - peer pressure, depression, daredevil stunts - but I think students could handle it on their own.
Lisbeth Solberg
Feb 22, 2011 Lisbeth Solberg rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Better than average teen fare: suspenseful, a little romantic, not entirely predictable. Some of my students will enjoy this.
Amanda
Jun 23, 2009 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the characters/texts remind me of twilight. The plot wasn't really the greatest and i think that the moral is to not overreact over something... it can lead to bad happenings.
Devin Renee
Jun 29, 2009 Devin Renee rated it really liked it
I didnt like how it didnt end happy. Thats life though i guess. I couldnt stop reading, i read it all in one day. it was good.
Ted
Aug 05, 2011 Ted added it
A good, quick read. My eighth grade girls will love it: a cute, rich guy, home-wrecking girls, peer pressure. The book jacket says Eve Bunting has written over 200 books. Jeesh.
Julie
Aug 17, 2007 Julie rated it liked it
I think Eve Bunting should stick to picture books. It felt like she was trying too hard with this one.
Melissa (ladybug)
This is a good book on how peer pressure can destroy kids' lives but, I have never understood it. I would have been telling adults.
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Nina Levine
Nina Levine rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2014
Kristy Malm
Kristy Malm rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2010
Breanna
Breanna rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2012
Alissa
Alissa rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Lauren Arakawa
Lauren Arakawa rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Ashley Donecker
Ashley Donecker rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Amanda Sherman
Amanda Sherman rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Sonja
Sonja rated it really liked it
May 06, 2012
Cinnamon
Cinnamon rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2008
Janelle
Janelle rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2010
Sidney Bagsit
Sidney Bagsit rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Anupa
Anupa rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2008
Emily Cottrell
Emily Cottrell rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2010
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bearstone
  • Me, In Between
  • Stranded
  • The Turning (Angel on the Square, #4)
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • Thief of Hearts (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #9)
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • Any Small Goodness: A Novel of the Barrio
  • Class Favorite
  • Extraordinary*: *The True Story of My Fairygodparent, Who Almost Killed Me, and Certainly Never Made Me a Princess
  • An Angel For Solomon Singer
  • The Sound of Your Voice, Only Really Far Away
  • Two Steps Forward (Steps, #2)
  • Here in Harlem: Poems in Many Voices
  • The Way to Start a Day
  • One Tough Chick
  • Tripping Over the Lunch Lady: And Other School Stories
  • Popular Clone (The Clone Chronicles, #1)
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...