Start by marking “Jumping the Nail” as Want to Read:
Jumping the Nail

Jumping the Nail

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
At seventeen, Dru gets involved with the latest high school stunt-leaping between deadly cliffs into the ocean far below. Things get out of hand as manipulative relationships and resulting jealousies cause more students to risk their lives. “It’s Bunting’s acknowledgment of the allure of danger and the power that comes from facing it, as well as her on-target depiction of ...more
Published May 1st 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Jumping the Nail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jumping the Nail

Penny
Apr 19, 2009 Penny rated it it was amazing
What I learned from reading 'jumping the nail' is that when you care for someone you'll show it somehow like trying to help them make the right decissions.In this book t shows that there are two best friends and they are both very close. One of the girls had a boyfriend who was very coll and wild. So there was this cliff which lead to water called the nail. So the girl with the boyfriend jumped the nail with her boyfriend and swore she saw a girl down there telling her to stay. She told her best ...more
Ximena Santos
Mar 14, 2014 Ximena Santos rated it it was amazing
So sad
Bryan Panara
Nov 17, 2011 Bryan Panara rated it really liked it
I think that this book was a great book. At sertain parts it had me thinking whether or not im going to keep reading it or not. But, mostly everyother part made me stand on the edge of my seat with what was going to happen next. It was very discriptive with the information that you were being told. The ending of the book really threw me off and it was like an "out of the blue" ending and that's what i think is one of the best parts of this book.
Sadi
Sep 13, 2013 Sadi rated it liked it
This book as a teen scared the hell out of me and oddly still does. There is just something dark under the surface that bothered then and now. I highly recommend this for high school and up. The middle school rating on it I would not listen to because some of the subject matter is just a little to old for an eleven / twelve year old to handle.
Julie Bowerman
Sep 14, 2013 Julie Bowerman rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I read this as a possible ninth grade book for class study since there are a bunch of them lying around. I liked the storyline - peer pressure, depression, daredevil stunts - but I think students could handle it on their own.
Peggy
Jan 03, 2011 Peggy rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
Well written and intense but the ending was hard to take. Very much a 'mature' subject matter when you get to the end but a great book to teach about what constitutes love and what you do to show that love.
Amanda
Jun 23, 2009 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the characters/texts remind me of twilight. The plot wasn't really the greatest and i think that the moral is to not overreact over something... it can lead to bad happenings.
Ted
Aug 05, 2011 Ted added it
A good, quick read. My eighth grade girls will love it: a cute, rich guy, home-wrecking girls, peer pressure. The book jacket says Eve Bunting has written over 200 books. Jeesh.
Melissa (ladybug)
This is a good book on how peer pressure can destroy kids' lives but, I have never understood it. I would have been telling adults.
Devin Renee
Jun 29, 2009 Devin Renee rated it really liked it
I didnt like how it didnt end happy. Thats life though i guess. I couldnt stop reading, i read it all in one day. it was good.
Lisbeth Solberg
Feb 22, 2011 Lisbeth Solberg rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Better than average teen fare: suspenseful, a little romantic, not entirely predictable. Some of my students will enjoy this.
Julie
Aug 17, 2007 Julie rated it liked it
I think Eve Bunting should stick to picture books. It felt like she was trying too hard with this one.
Richard Washington
Jun 07, 2013 Richard Washington rated it it was ok
it was a good story but one of the most boring starts and ending most likely i've ever read.
Ethan
Dec 11, 2012 Ethan added it
I thought it was the best book I've read this year.
Carol
May 09, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for dealing with peer pressure.
Michelle
Jun 13, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
An excellent but not very well known book.
Feb 20, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Another 6th grade book club book :)
Radhika
Aug 14, 2007 Radhika rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone witha brain
Shelves: amazinggg
AMAZING. thats all i rememebrrrr.
Kathleen
Jun 23, 2013 Kathleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1992
Not Her Best.
Jennie
Dec 20, 2007 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Great YA read.
Roz Waldron
Roz Waldron marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
LeAnn Richards
LeAnn Richards rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Kristin Ortiz
Kristin Ortiz rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Wanda added it
Jan 16, 2016
  • Bearstone
  • Me, In Between
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • Stranded
  • The Turning (Angel on the Square, #4)
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • Any Small Goodness: A Novel of the Barrio
  • Class Favorite
  • Thief of Hearts (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #9)
  • The Sound of Your Voice, Only Really Far Away
  • Extraordinary*: *The True Story of My Fairygodparent, Who Almost Killed Me, and Certainly Never Made Me a Princess
  • One Tough Chick
  • An Angel For Solomon Singer
  • The Way to Start a Day
  • Somewhere in the Darkness
  • Two Steps Forward (Steps, #2)
  • Baseball in April and Other Stories
  • Devon Delaney Should Totally Know Better (Devon Delaney, #2)
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...