Start by marking “The Night Killer (Diane Fallon, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Night Killer (Diane Fallon, #8)

The Night Killer (Diane Fallon #8)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  662 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Forensic investigator Diane Fallon fights for her life in her eighth mystery.

Diane is driving through a downpour on a windy mountain road after picking up a set of rare Indian artifacts when a tree suddenly slams across the hood of her car, revealing a human skeleton in its hollow trunk.

As she starts to investigate, she's ambushed by a stranger and forced to run for her l
Published April 6th 2010 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about The Night Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Killer

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth PetersThe Mummy Case by Elizabeth PetersAmelia Peabody's Egypt by Elizabeth PetersThe Falcon at the Portal by Elizabeth Peters
Archaeology Romance, Mystery, Suspense
38th out of 123 books — 95 voters
Déjà Dead by Kathy ReichsThe Bone Collector by Jeffery DeaverPostmortem by Patricia CornwellBare Bones by Kathy ReichsDeath du Jour by Kathy Reichs
Forensic Fiction
63rd out of 131 books — 106 voters

More lists with this book...

Bigd_041555
May 30, 2015 Bigd_041555 rated it it was amazing
Was that a banjo I hear playing in the distance? Diane Fallon starts out with adding an impressionable collection of arrow heads donated by a lovely old couple that live in a very secluded home in the mountains. A major thunder and lightening storm strikes on her way down the mountain, before you can blink a tree falls on her SUV and with it a skeleton cemented into the hollow of the tree. The home owners where this happens are very sketchy and it appears they would do harm to anyone and everyon ...more
Elvan
Aug 11, 2015 Elvan rated it really liked it
Skeletons falling out of trees, multiple murders, red-neck power-hungry elected officials and the usual dash of caving and forensics.

Another entertaining read brought to you by the vivid imagination of Beverly Connor.

Jen
Nov 06, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2010
I'm fond of the Diane Fallon forensic anthropologist mysteries - and this one has some very nice bits. However, I felt in places like the plot was reaching a bit too much. However, I really enjoyed parts of it, and there are some lovely character moments throughout.
Jan
Apr 22, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it
I love this series. Dr. Diane Fallon is an extremely interesting character. She is the director of a small museum in Georgia and the head of the county's crime scene investigation unit. The combination of the two make for some very interesting situations.
Aug 23, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Forensic archeologist Diane Fallon is driving home on a winding mountain road in heavy rain when a tree suddenly hits the hood of her car, revealing the skeleton hidden within its hollow trunk.

As she gets out her car for a closer look, a strange man tries to grab her and she runs for her life into the woods ... she seeks refuge further up the mountain road with friends but makes another startling discovery, they have been murdered in the few short hours since she left them.

What begins as a terri
Samantha
Jul 24, 2014 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
No messing about in Beverly Connor's books on page 5 we have a skeleton by page 20 we have 2 more murder victims. As one review I read on goodreads (sorry can't remember the name) said the Fallon series is always a bit of a personal crusade pitting Diane against the "hicks" of local law enforcement but this instalment was even more so, however, I much prefer the parts of the story that concentrate on Diane's team working to put the pieces of a mystery together. That for me is when the story come ...more
Christy
Nov 02, 2010 Christy rated it it was amazing
Forensic anthropologist Dr. Diane Fallon, director of the RiverTrail Museum of Natural History and the Rosewood, GA crime lab, is returning from a trip to the mountains of Rendell County, Georgia where she arranged for the loan of an arrowhead collection from Roy Barre. Diane’s SUV is struck by a tree during a storm and a skeleton rolls across the hood of her car. Unsettled by this, Diane gets out of her vehicle and is accosted by a stranger. She escapes into the forest, pursued by the stranger’ ...more
Susan
Oct 27, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Forensic investigator Diane Fallon is driving through a downpour on a mountain road after picking up a set of Indian artifacts when a tree suddenly slams across the hood of her car, revealing a human skeleton in its hollow trunk. As she starts to investigate, she's ambushed by a nasty stranger and forced to run for her life. Stranded in the night, with dogs tracking her, she encounters a mysterious man who helps. Then just when she comes upon a dwelling and feels finally safe, she discovers the ...more
Georgene
Aug 07, 2015 Georgene rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked this book. It was enjoyable. However, WHEN did a small Georgia town get enough money to fund a great museum AND a full-fledged forensic lab?
Kathleen
Jun 17, 2014 Kathleen rated it liked it
good enough to try another by this author. Not of 5 star quality yet though where you can hardly wait to read another of this authors.
Taylor Tyler
May 31, 2016 Taylor Tyler rated it really liked it
This installment of the Diane Fallon Forensic Investigator series really picked up from the last book. I've found in this series that all the books are enjoyable, but there are some you just can't put down. By reading the synopsis on the back, you may think the book is about her night in the woods but it's not. I was a little disappointed since I thought it was going to be very different than previous books. However, I wasn't disappointed for long. I found the story very interesting and enjoyed ...more
Libby
Sep 27, 2015 Libby rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, but ended up finding it formulaic and too far-reaching. A real disappointment.
Mary
Mar 17, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-fiction-read
Not quite as good as the others.
Anne
Aug 30, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this series!!! Now on to the next Beverly Connors and Lindsay Chamberlain!
Deedee
Jan 30, 2014 Deedee rated it it was amazing
Fabulous! Could not put the book down. Recommend.
Kathryn
Jun 13, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Round and round she goes, who the killer is, nobody knows. Well, actually Beverly Connor is very good at wrapping everything up. The plot takes many twists and turns leaving you constantly guessing as to the identity of the killer and the reasons behind the murders. If you pay attention and work at it a bit you should be able to figure out who did it and why. A very fast paced enjoyable mystery.
Marja McGraw
Apr 11, 2011 Marja McGraw rated it really liked it
I'm currently reading this one, but I've read others in the series already. I thoroughly enjoy the Diane Fallon series. It can be a little graphic from time to time, but the author doesn't belabor the violence and consequences. This is a forensic investigation series and the stories are intriguing.

Very well-written, and I've started reading another series by this author, too.
Phillipa
Jan 19, 2015 Phillipa rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Again, I enjoyed this one. I like the series but I suspect it is getting a little formulaic. Every one I read has the lead character ending up personally embroiled and attacked in some way ... which I suspect is not how it happens in real life at all, ever.

That said I still enjoy the characters and will keep reading.
April
Apr 23, 2011 April rated it it was amazing
Although I enjoyed this book, I saw the twist coming way in advance. I really liked the characters in the book and liked the new character that was introduced to the gang. I really love this series, and I know there is only one book left. I hope it's not the conclusion, because I'm not ready for it to end yet.
Nicole
Jun 11, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Found this book at an auction, going into the book i hadn't realized it was a "series." However, besides a few mentions to previous events, it read fine without having read the others. The book was so fascinating that I almost immediately ordered the first and second book.
Shirley
Oct 22, 2010 Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Loved it. Like Diane Fallon character, and though I guessed the guilty party fairly early, still found it a really good read. Couple planning to donate arrowheads to museum mysteriously found dead; more deaths follow.
Mary Beth
May 03, 2010 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: grace
Shelves: mystery
Well. I really enjoyed this one! This is a real page turner right from the get go. It starts off with a car accident in a rain storm and just keeps you on the edge of your seat. I couldn't put it down.
Linda
Apr 16, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
I really like this series, but sometimes it gets a bit fantastical. This is the 8th in the series; I'm about to start #9 and I can't help but wonder if Diane will finally use up all her lives!
Wendy
Jan 23, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok
Really I just wanted this book to be over. It seemed like it could have been a good book but I did not care for the writting. Damn my disorder where I need to finish every book I start. :S
Kay
Dec 02, 2011 Kay rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Enjoyable middle-of-the-road mystery, just right for this busy time of year. I will probably read the rest in the series, kindly loaned to me by a friend.
Tracy
Sep 24, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book by Beverly. This is definitely one of my favorites - full of twists and turns that left me breathless to the very end.
Kathy
Very good mystery. I did not figure it out at all..Never saw it coming..My favorite way for a book..Great writing and I did enjoy the whole book...
Meghan
Jan 13, 2011 Meghan rated it liked it
It was a good story, I like the characters, and even though I read it out of order, it wasn't hard to follow new characters.
Leslie Angel
Jun 24, 2010 Leslie Angel rated it liked it
A good series. This one's scary, a little predictable but not completely. Quite a few plots, don't want to give any away.
Daniele
Jul 25, 2011 Daniele rated it liked it
I enjoy this series but did not find this to be the best of the lot. The mystery is ok but a little too tidy.
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Evidence of Murder (Theresa MacLean #2)
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • Mourn The Living
  • The Shifters (The Keepers Trilogy #2)
  • Shooting Gallery (An Art Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Savage Art
  • The Soul Collector
  • Victim Six (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark Series, Book 1)
  • Shooting Stars and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 3)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Death, Snow, and Mistletoe (Tori Miracle, #4)
  • Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1)
  • The Glades
  • Cold Snap (Lucy Kincaid, #7)
  • The Body in the Boudoir (Faith Fairchild Mysteries #20)
  • Silent Screams
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
I'm Beverly Connor and I love archaeology. I worked in Georgia and South Carolina as an archaeologist doing both fieldwork and analyzing artifacts. I also love mysteries. I combined these two loves and now write mysteries in which I weave my professional experience as an archaeologist into stories of murder and intrigue in both my Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation series and Lindsay Chamberlain ...more
More about Beverly Connor...

Diane Fallon (9 books)
  • One Grave Too Many (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #1)
  • Dead Guilty (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #2)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Scattered Graves (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #6)
  • Dust to Dust (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #7)
  • One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)