Start by marking “Mixed: My Life in Black and White” as Want to Read:
Mixed: My Life in Black and White

Mixed: My Life in Black and White

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  365 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
“Tell anyone who asks that you’re half-black and half-white, just like David Hasselhoff from Knight Rider.”–Angela’s mother

“Love has no color,” insist Angela Nissel’s parents, but does it have a clue? In this candid, funny, and poignant memoir, Angela recounts growing up biracial in Philadelphia–moving back and forth between black inner-city schools and white prep schools–
Published December 18th 2007 by Villard (first published January 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mixed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mixed

Desiree
This started out really lighthearted and fun with the author detailing her & her family's many misadventures preadolescence. I admittedly had a few gigglefits here and there. Suddenly, the tone shifted and I found myself reading an entirely different book.

I applaud the author for sharing her experience with depression as well as her struggles with her identity but sometimes I felt like she needed to just live and not care what anyone thought about her racial identity. Then again, people are
Sherese
Jul 11, 2008 Sherese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Angela Nissel's Broke Diaries several years ago, and I thought she had a knack for writing. She keeps it real, is willing to think out of the box and take chances in life meanwhile maintaining her wittiness and sense of humor. I had no idea she was mixed when I read her first book, but I came across this book at the bookstore earlier this year and picked up the book immediately because I thought the woman on the cover looked exactly like a younger cousin of mine. Mrs. Nissel did not disap ...more
Leslie
I've been meaning to read this book for a while for exactly two reasons:

First, because the author, Angela Nissel, wrote for and co-produced "Scrubs."

And second, because Halle Berry recommended it. Granted, I don't usually agree with Halle Berry when it comes to movies or romantic partners; but from now on, I'm gonna have to listen her literary advice because this memoir is wonderful! It's funny, smart, poignant, insightful, complex -- just great writing overall. I'm not black, white, or black an
Liz
Feb 13, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I've read Angela Nissel's The Broke Diaries which is hilarious story after hilarious story of how to get by without much money. (perfect for college students, or anyone in this economy!) While this book is pretty funny as well, it gets serious about race and the impact that being bi-racial has on a person's self-identity. It was interesting to read this in the context of our new President being bi-racial. I learned at the end of the book that the author is a writer on Scrubs. That explained a to ...more
Matt
Nov 28, 2007 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Hilarious and provocative. I like to think of myself as being pretty racially sensitive but this book really made me think of some racial issues I hadn't considered before. I love Angela Nissel.

It's interesting how a lot of the anecdotes in this book were around the same time period as her other memoir, Broke. And yet this book tells a whole other story. Kind of makes you re-think the memoir genre. Hello, James Frey.
Amberdenise Puckett
As a biracial woman, growing up different was a struggle even in So. Florida. Angela Nissel's book was wonderful! It helped me realize that I'm not alone. I know that sounds corny, but really I was able to relate to the entire first half of her book. Her college years were much crazier than mine, but her childhood was like looking in a mirror. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
Shawna
Jan 23, 2011 Shawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I have been looking for this book since I read Broke Diaries and I was thrilled to finally get my hands on it. This book wasn't as funny as Broke Diaries, but it was honest and lent a lot of insight on what it is like to have mixed racial heritage in American culture. Yeah! Angela, can't wait until you publish your next book.
Rushay Booysen
Feb 10, 2011 Rushay Booysen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny,light hearted read on Angela's identity issues.I love how she comically tells the tale of the issues she endured while also informing us about the issues mixed race people endure.While the focus of the book is on Angela it also microscopically zoom on what the parents go through.A poignant tale and definitely worth the read
Jenn
Feb 01, 2008 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
this book is really, really amazing. the author uses humor to talk about the toll of being biracial in a society that can't deal with those of us who live in the borderlands. it's deep book and i highly recommend it.
Eireann
Jan 10, 2009 Eireann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angela Nissel has a great voice.
Tiayra  Tucker
Apr 05, 2013 Tiayra Tucker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that makes me wonder where it's been all my life, and why I couldn't read it 20 years ago. It was recommended to me by a white friend a few years ago because she thought I'd relate to it. Also she said it was hilarious. I regret not picking it up sooner.

My experience as a mixed girl was completely opposite of Angela's, but I still identified with a lot of her emotions. I still went through trying desperately to fit in somewhere, and even cashed in on my "exotic" look a
HeavyReader
Dec 06, 2008 HeavyReader rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-stories
The front of this book tells us that Halle Berry called it "A hilarious must read." Well, I probably shouldn't argue with Ms. Berry (I mean, an actress knows good writing when she reads it, right?) but I would not call this book the least bit "hilarious." I would say "mildly amusing." I would admit that it did make me chuckle now and then, and I maybe laughed aloud once or twice. But I cannot agree with the adjective "hilarious."

I saw this book on the public library's diversity display as I was
Shannon
Adult/High School–As a light-skinned child born to a black mother and a white father, Nissel has constantly grappled with the question of racial identity. Growing up in West Philadelphia during the 1970s and '80s, she came of age trying to figure out who she was and where she fit. She encountered bullies and interesting friends and teachers, and experienced the turmoil of race-conscious dating. She had a bout of depression while in college, and took on a variety of odd jobs, including one night ...more
Tina Horn
Fun and piercing

Truths told wittily. I enjoyed this book greatly, laughed out loud a couple of times, and recommend it highly to readers.
~Nadia~*Life is the Art of Drawing Without an Eraser*~♥Just Because You're Awake, Doesn't Mean You Can't Dream♥
I really did like this book, just in a different way than the Broke Diaries. The Broke Diaries was meant to be funny, but Mixed wasn't. Some parts were though. In Mixed, she explains what it felt to grow up biracial, and even though I'm not biracial, I understand what she meant. Though some of the things she did to "find her racial identity" were completely outrageous, I know some people who would've done the same exact thing, and they're darker than I am, and I'm dark-skinned.
Quinesia Johnson
Dec 21, 2015 Quinesia Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars

This memoir receives a 5 stars, instead of 4, simply because it is a baring of soul like no other. She holds back nothing, revealing the depth of her weakness and cowardice growing up in such a way you're almost disgusted. But, each personal account deserves an ear. Nissel shares her multiracial perspective with such humor and honesty, that it can only be applauded. 5 stars to Nissel.
❤♥♔Nia♔♥❤
A lot of people who write memoirs, don't give the whole truth, or try to sugarcoat it. But life isn't a walk in the park and Angela Nissel says it, loud and clear.
I like that she shows her insecurities, says her opinions, oblivious to others comments about hers, and stands up for herself (or not). You can really feel what her life experience was like, and the (sometimes?) racist parts of it.
I LOVED IT!
V
Nov 20, 2012 V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started reading this book while cataloging & couldn't put it down. I felt as if I were reading the story of a sister-friend; her feelings, thoughts, questions became my own. Though I may not be able to pinpoint my diverse heritage as easily as Nissel, I do understand trying to figure out where you belong when it seems like there's always something that prevents total acceptance into a group.
Christina Rothschild
It's funny--I recommend it.

A review on the book jacket describes this book as being a narrative about growing up mixed that David Sedaris might have written, if he were a biracial, straight female. It's a quick, fun read.

Angela Nissel was a writer for the show Scrubs, where she is now a producer.

Check her out on her myspace page or at www.angelanissel.com.
Beth
Aug 06, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies, humor
Angela Nissen gives us a humorous, never self-pitying look at the often rude reactions of people of all races toward herself as biracial child and teen. Young Angela bounces from one culture to another, usually depending on other people's attitudes but occasionally based on her own perceptions and desires.
Peacegal
Nov 04, 2010 Peacegal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fact that a blurb on the cover suggests the author is a female version of David Sedaris, Mixed isn’t really a humorous book. While there are a few chuckles, I found many of the chapters more sad than anything else, as the author struggles with prejudice and finding her own identity.
Diane
I liked this book. It gave great personal examples of comments/actions of people that greatly affect mixed-race people, even though the offender is often unaware. I did expect this book to be humorous, based on its reviews. There were some parts that were amusing, but it was not a humor book.
Eva
Mar 05, 2010 Eva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how little I identified with this book. I figured that, while our families were different, we would have had similar experiences. Not so much.

It was an entertaining read, and it's good to hear about the experiences of other "mixed" kids, so for that I give it three stars.
Andrea
Mar 27, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I expected more from this book. Having been a writer from Scrubs, I thought it would contain more humor, but perhaps I just couldn't identify. I might want to read her previous book "The Broke Diaries" and if I don't like that, it must be her style of writing that I just don't click with.
Kalyani B.
Definitely food for thought, but not really full enough to help me come to a conclusion...about how to support multiracial children and friends, how to raise my multiracial son. Her childhood was covered well, but it seemed to become fractured in her college years, losing the narrative.
Judy
Jul 25, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and appreciate her honest story. If you wonder what it's like to be biracial in America, this will give you some answers and will leave you with some questions as well. I wish we knew more about her father, but I suppose this wasn't the time.
Jadayshea Bufford
This book was very interesting an she talks about her life growing being white and black. It make you understand what sheexspirenced in being mixed the goodness of it an also the hardness of being from two sets of religions.
Definitely not as funny as Nissel's first book, The Broke Diaries, which made me laugh out loud. Still, an interesting and humorous look at what it's like to be a young person with a mixed racial background in America.
Jessica
Jul 25, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so done with books where the African Americans the author encounters are one dimensional stock characters worthy of the worst sit-coms.
Prettypunk181
Jul 09, 2008 Prettypunk181 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was pretty funny cause everything was so true.
Well I being mixed, it was easier for me to understand I suppose.
  • What Are You?: Voices of Mixed-Race Young People
  • Mixed: An Anthology of Short Fiction on the Multiracial Experience
  • Half and Half: Writers on Growing Up Biracial and Bicultural
  • The Reluctant Bride: One Woman's Journey (Kicking And Screaming) Down The Aisle
  • Black White and Jewish
  • Secret Daughter: A Mixed-Race Daughter and the Mother Who Gave Her Away
  • Kinky Gazpacho: Life, Love & Spain
  • White Women, Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness
  • Crusade for Justice: The Autobiography of Ida B. Wells
  • Where Did You Sleep Last Night? A Personal History
  • Not a Genuine Black Man: Or, How I Claimed My Piece of Ground in the Lily-White Suburbs
  • Bulletproof Diva
  • Paradise, Piece by Piece
  • A Year in the South: 1865: The True Story of Four Ordinary People Who Lived Through the Most Tumultuous Twelve Months in American History
  • One Drop: My Father's Hidden Life--A Story of Race and Family Secrets
  • Tales from the Teachers' Lounge: What I Learned in School the Second Time Around—One Man's Irreverent Look at Being a Teacher Today
  • Gullible's Travels: The Adventures of a Bad Taste Tourist
  • Not for Ourselves Alone: The Story of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony
191503
Angela Nissel is author of the national best-selling comedic memoirs The Broke Diaries and Mixed. In addition to books, she is a co-executive producer and writer for NBC's medical sitcom Scrubs and executive producer of an in-development television project with Halle Berry and Vincent Cirricionne.

Angela was born a lower-middle class light-brown child in Philadelphia. She even stayed in that fair
More about Angela Nissel...