Start by marking “The Boy Who Loved Windows: Opening The Heart And Mind Of A Child Threatened With Autism” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In 1997, writer Patricia Stacey and her husband Cliff learned that their six-month-old son Walker might never walk or talk, or even hear or see. Unwilling to accept this grim prediction, they embarked on a five-year odyssey that took them into alternative medicine, the newest brain research, and toward a new and innovative understanding of autism. Finally their search led ...more
Published September 3rd 2003 by Da Capo Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Loved Windows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Loved Windows

Ivana
Jan 04, 2012 Ivana rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I will never forget...It's written by a women whose son was diagnosed with autism. The book was borrowed to me (and recommended to me) by a women who has a son diagnosed with autism. I used to volunteer with children who had special needs, and I found this book very helpful in many ways. It shows something of what a parent must feel and also something of what a child must feel in this kind of difficult situation.

Remarkably, the book is so full of life and humour. Situation in
Lynn Diane
Sep 16, 2014 Lynn Diane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of children with learning disabilities
Recommended to Lynn Diane by: myself
I had to finish this book! I thought it was heading for a probable 4 stars, but I learned so much along the way that I had to give it 5 stars and a "Top 10" rating.
For much of the book I hated the "breast-beating/mea-culpa" mother/author. However, I even felt a grudging respect for her by the end. My favorite people, though, are Walker - the amazing little boy whose harrowing odyssey from infancy to 5 years old I followed with tears and cheers. The second is child psychiatrist Dr. Stanley Greens
Pat
Oct 22, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
The work this mother did with her son was amazing and so were the results. I don't understand why mothers have to beg and plead for help, but she kept on to help her son! Bravo!!
Tracy
Mar 25, 2015 Tracy rated it it was amazing
My favorite quote from the book: "I guess thats what we always do in life. Play against ourselves. We're always remembering what we were and seeing what we are.
Jasmine
Sep 19, 2011 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I couldn't imagine living out my daily life as she did. Not only is she a dedicated mother and went through extreme hardship, she is also a great author. She went into much detail about what went on with her son's therapies and I was actually able to learn a few things. She also brought up issues that I want to further research. This fascinating and devout woman deserves a pat on the back, high five, thumbs up.. Even a hug!
Cynthia Sillitoe
Dec 16, 2011 Cynthia Sillitoe rated it really liked it
Amazing read about parents trying to reach a son with autism. I don't know enough to know which techniques are right, etc., but it was amazing to see the lengths to which they'd go in order to reach him.
Kathy-Diane
Oct 22, 2010 Kathy-Diane rated it it was amazing
Patricia Stacey is gut wrenchingly honest and uses her gifts as a writer to searingly portray the challenges and breakthroughs that come with parenting her beautiful autistic son.
Allison
Sep 16, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
Was great...everyone should read this book:)
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Adina Softic
Adina Softic marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Tammy Hornbeck
Tammy Hornbeck marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Laurie Newman
Laurie Newman rated it did not like it
Jan 04, 2016
Shaundrika
Shaundrika marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Jim Fraunberger
Jim Fraunberger rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Mickey
Mickey rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Jaycie
Jaycie rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Vijay Kumar
Vijay Kumar marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Susan Reynolds Jackson
Susan Reynolds Jackson rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Leslie Meadows
Leslie Meadows marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Teralynn
Teralynn rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Shirin
Shirin added it
Aug 03, 2014
Tracy Sbordone
Tracy Sbordone rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Maribeth Mckenna
Maribeth Mckenna rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014