Start by marking “How to Walk in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything” as Want to Read:
How to Walk in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything

How to Walk in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,494 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
From appreciating wine to understanding modern art, placing a bet to playing poker, wearing a hat to finding the mains, 'How to Walk in High Heels' helps women to navigate life's challenges with style.
Paperback
Published December 1st 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How to Walk in High Heels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Walk in High Heels

sarah semark
I liked the parts of this book that detailed girly things: how to walk in high heels (obviously), how to pack for a vacation, how to accessorize, how to behave like a lady in social circumstances, how to throw a dinner party. It's written in a sort of chick-lit voice, which can be rather enjoyable if it isn't overdone. I like this sort of thing for the same reasons that I enjoy fluffy girly movies; they're bright and colourful and good distractions.

That said, I think it tried a little too hard t
Lulufrances
Nov 17, 2014 Lulufrances rated it really liked it
I have been reading this for months now, on my commute to uni, during little book breaks, whenever.
Kept it in my handbag at most times, even.
And for that, it was absolutely superb.

A fun girly manual including some ridiculous but also many practical tricks and tips.
Definitely do not read this if you take stuff to seriously and get easily offended by sarcasm.
I thought it was pretty funny, though I can imagine some people out there not getting or not liking the sort of humour in this.

One part that
Evelyn
One of those silly 'girly guide to life' books. If you like the kind of advice that swamps mainstream women's glossy mags, then you'll probably think this is some sort of a bible. I merely browsed through it as it was joke birthday gift, and yeah, it's just terrible!
Madeline
Aug 19, 2007 Madeline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-judgements
An alternate title for this book would be "How to be a High-Maintenance Fashion Snob with an Endless Cash Flow to Spend on Clothes, Cab Fare, and Manolos." Seriously, its like the four characters from Sex and the City got together and wrote a book about how the rest of the world can be like them.
Despite this, I actually did enjoy reading this book. There's actually some good stuff mixed in with the makeup tips, like how to play poker, how to throw a dinner party, table manners, and a huge chapte
Jamie
Feb 17, 2014 Jamie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

1.5 stars ( because it made me laugh so much)

I'm not sure if this was written as serious guide. If it was, then I'm speechless. If she going for comedy, she nailed it.

It began badly with a foreword by John Galliano... The Epitome of Style - the author twitters, except now M. Galliano is more famous for drunken anti-semantic rants that got his ass fired from Dior...There are butt-kissy, name-droppy tributes to various artists, designers etc sprinkled liberally through the book...

It has some aweso
Katharine Blankenship
Even though my dad did his best to try and prepare me for the real world, while I was still living at home, there are still some things that I feel unsure about. Then I found this book. Yes, it’s called “How to Walk in High Heels,” which my dad definitely didn’t teach me how to do, but it also covers basically everything a girl might have to do while on her own. Changing a tire, hanging a picture, eating lobster, getting out of the car in a miniskirt, and so many other things. Overall, this book ...more
Wandoo Ityavyar
May 13, 2014 Wandoo Ityavyar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to Walk in High Heels by Camilla Morton is a girl's How to guide. Morton gives us a book equivalent of the critically acclaimed UK TV show “Lady to Ladette.” You know the one where a bunch of girls are coached into becoming classy ladies(I could have sworn it was called something like Duchess of. . . But I digress). In How to Walk in High Heels there's information on how to walk in heels(obviously), how to get ready for a night out, hold your drink, how handle yourself at events, politics,am ...more
Tina
Aug 16, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty much my guilty pleasure. Sure, it's frivolous, but it's pretty entertaining. I'm not the girliest of girls by nature, so a lot of the fashion tips in this book really helped me out. (It actually persuaded me to be a little bit more feminine.) Definitely a coffee table kind of book to read!
Chrissie
Jun 17, 2009 Chrissie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book did not really live up to my expectations. It was filled with hints for more high fashion conscious girls and was somewhat patronising for an indie hipster such as myself.

I did find the section on how to walk in high heels helpful however.
Chara
May 05, 2016 Chara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, funny
This is actually a nice "girly-self-help" book. I really liked most of it.
The first parts were very interesting, funny and entertaining. How to choose the right shoes, how to walk in them, table manners, makeup hacks, recipes, it even talked about how to understand technology and use it more in your life.
Ok, so far so good. This is the kind of stuff somebody would expect from a book like this.
But in some parts... I don't know. It seemed like it was promoting snobbish behaviour.Furthermore, so
Haley Hill
Dec 28, 2012 Haley Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny. Since reading the book, I have met Camilla and she is every bit as hilarious as her alter ego.
Katie
Apr 01, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great coffee table book to dip into now and then. Funny and full of good observations.
Joanna
Aug 04, 2015 Joanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It has its witty moments and downright silly moments. It’s full of little tidbits of information – some useful tips, some obvious tips and some curiosities. Personally, I didn’t find the technology section useful at all but the book was first published in 2005, so it has the right to be a bit outdated. Still, this variety definitely has the chance of keeping the readers’ attention. Overall, it is an enjoyable read in the very British version of the chick-lit style.

The layout of the 2006 Hodder H
Niyati
Aug 29, 2012 Niyati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
truly helpin..!!
Candy
Apr 15, 2010 Candy rated it it was ok
I was in the bookstore and I wanted a new novel to read. However I didn't flip through the pages or I think I did but I didn't realize it was a 'reference book'. I picked it up because of the Pink-Glittery cover. I basically judged the book by its cover. I thought it would of been a novel. That was until I got home and I flipped through it. I couldn't believe what I had bought.

I was going to return it the next day. However I was reading it while being driven to the bookstore. I changed my mind b
Hannah
May 10, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book extremely entertaining. Yes, some of it was a little dated in the sense of 'women need to look great all the time and the men do the rest,' but it felt more like it was a joke to me. All in all it had some good advice about things I am not experienced at such as packing, how to walk in high heels, how to apply tanning lotion, etc. etc. I would recommend it to anyone who has dipped a toe in the fashion world and enjoyed it.
Patricia
Dec 21, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I adored this book! I received it a few years back as a birthday present and can still remember how shocked I was to find it actually good. How to Walk in High Heels is absolutely unlike any of the sad drivel stacked in the corners of bookshops, or those flashy volumes about platinum blonde twenty-somethings who would kill to get inside Barneys. Marketed as a mixed breed of Self-help and Chick-lit, both of which fall under my strict repudiation policy, I initially harbored some—okay, a lot—of mi ...more
Marla
Sep 24, 2014 Marla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't believe I hadn't checked this one off on here yet! This was a gift from a college roommate, and I will keep it forever just because of the inscription she wrote on the inside. It's a light, cute book with some silly moments and a handful of useful tips. Some suggestions are pretty obvious, but others I have actually found to be helpful during my 20s!
Nasira K
Feb 24, 2014 Nasira K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It tells you everything you need to know. Now this isnt some 'detailed' every girls guide sort of thing.. I thought of it as a more random 'how-to' guide written in the form of as if the writer were talking to you face to face giving you a great piece of advice on different topics. I think it is also a great gift to any girl in her late teens to early twenties or thirties.. but really age doesn't matter.
Polly
Sep 30, 2012 Polly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
Well ladies, if you've ever wondered about how to pick up dog poop in a stylish manner, this is the book for you! Ditto how to be stylish while suffering from a fever, on crutches, and at funerals (but sadly, not your own; that I would enjoy). I adore books about how to apply makeup and so on, although I rarely find them helpful, but this is just absurd. I hope it's meant to be funny, but I'm really not sure it is.
And yes, stilettos are definitely the only shoes to wear (except when you're on c
Ranjani
Quite funny, and surprisingly insightful at times, Camilla Morton would definitely make a great big sister or fun mum. The feminist in me is reeling at the fact that most of the book is centred around the idea that women are technologically inept when it comes to changing tyres and loading an iPod. That said, the girl/woman in me loves that it's full of giggle-inducing and surprisingly good advice about doing your nails, balancing your budget and, yes, walking in high heels.

Ladies - none of you
Smileysun
Feb 09, 2016 Smileysun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. This book includes advice on absolutely EVERYTHING a glamorous girl needs.

This should be a bible for every modern girl out there, absolutely wonderful!

Must buy!!
Michelle
Feb 04, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women/men who want to be in fashion
I'm not really a high heel girl but I thought maybe I'd give it a try to see how it fit. (I am girly though and I think this book does take a heavy measure of girly frillyness to get it.)
I found this book for ridiculously low price and used it to see if I could be pressuaded to be a bit more of a Lady. The book did help me. She has brilliant tips on picking out the right heel and then how to actually walk in them and where to practice that walk. Then entire book is full of tips.
At times it seem
Lexi Horn
I have had women in my sorority read this. Those who don't have a strong female figure in their lives must read it. It is informative for the naive and comical for those in the know.
Nada
Mar 09, 2012 Nada rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Every woman should own and have this book on her shelf. It is a book that you can just leave on your shelf and go back to it when you need to know how to do something.

I took a while to read this page by page. It was like reading a text book, but since it's a self help book it's suppose to be like reading a text book.

I eventually skipped some parts of the book because I thought them useless to be, like the part about technology. I see now that a lot has been developed since the time the book wa
Melusine Parry
This is the silliest, most unnecessary book I've ever read. It is also the only book that prescribes 'handsome men' as anti-vomitive medicine:

'If you tend to be sick on planes, just sit next to a handsome man and you won't be!'

Tamara
Jan 16, 2016 Tamara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't like books that tell me what to do or how to be female but this one taught me a lot about how often house stuff needs to get cleaned I guess.
Krista Garcia
Aug 05, 2015 Krista Garcia rated it really liked it
Actually more practical than it's given credit for. A light, whimisical read that is full of humour and more sincere than it cares to admit.
Clara Dominique Zerna
I follow the tips in this book. Definitely a must read. It includes even the tiniest details that us girls, need to work on.
Cecilia Marie
Some of the ideas in this book appealed to me, but none practically, and it was too matter-of-fact to be fun, as if it wanted me to take it practically when all I wanted was the humour (which was quite amusing, I will give it that). I did like her tips on picking a heel, however. Some of the name dropping was handy as, as much of a girly girl I am, most of the brands and names are foreign to me. So in general, I am a fan of traditionally lady-like behaviour but not of this book's rigidness in gu ...more
  • The Goddess Guide
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • The Modern Girl's Guide to Life
  • The Girl's Guide to Absolutely Everything: Advice on Absolutely Everything
  • Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day
  • Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance
  • Beauty Confidential: The No Preaching, No Lies, Advice-You'll- Actually-Use Guide to Looking Your Best
  • The Little Black Book of Style
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum
  • InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
  • I Want to Be Her!: How Friends and Strangers Helped Shape My Style
  • Fashion 101: A Crash Course in Clothing
  • Classy: Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady
  • The Go-Girl Guide: Surviving Your 20s with Savvy, Soul, and Style
  • The Joy of Doing Things Badly: A Girl's Guide to Love, Life and Foolish Bravery
Camilla Morton is a London-based fashion writer and the author of the international bestseller How to Walk in High Heels which has been translated into over twenty languages worldwide and A Girl for All Seasons / A Year in High Heels. She is also the creator and writer of the 'Fashion Tale Memoir'series: Christian Lacroix and the Tale of Sleeping Beauty, Manolo Blahnik and the Tale of the Elves an ...more
More about Camilla Morton...

“Above all, believe in true love and know that men are like shoes. A couple is like a left and a right foot, and out there is your perfect fit. Sometimes you need to change styles and shop around to find it. Sometimes you have to break styles in, sometimes you feel like something that is unstylish but comfortable, and sometimes a style - as much as you like - just doesn't suit you and will never fit.” 22 likes
“Want lots of books? Be daddy's little girl” 3 likes