Nocturnal

Nocturnal (H&W Investigations #1.5)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  975 ratings  ·  54 reviews
"The Phoenix Project" by Jacquelyn Frank. Held captive, Amara is subjected to bizarre experiments that test the limits of her sanity. But nothing prepares her for being locked away - naked - with a sexy ex-cop...after they've been pumped full of drugs that increase their sexual appetites to animalistic intensity..."Crystal Dreams" by Kate Douglas - When Lemurian Guard Dari...more
Published September 7th 2010 by Zebra (first published August 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nocturnal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nocturnal

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadDead in the Family by Charlaine HarrisLinger by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2010
233rd out of 1,185 books — 10,701 voters
Ral's Woman by Laurann DohnerClaimed by Evangeline AndersonDemon Possession by Kiersten FayHunted by Evangeline AndersonBurning Up Flint by Laurann Dohner
Best Erotic Scifi Romance
204th out of 430 books — 746 voters

More lists with this book...

Melindeeloo
Nocturnal is a bit of a mishmash of genres, sci fi, urban fantasy and paranormal romance with no obvious unifying theme, but Nocturnal did give me chance to try three new-to-me authors: paranormal romance authors Douglas and Willis, as well urban fantasy author Haines and to read a short by an old favorite author Franks.

Here's a quick little blurb for the stories which make up Nocturnal:

Spark of Temptation- Jess Haines - continuing directly after her urban fantasy series, Hunted by Others, PI...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

I had never read anything by any of the authors in this anthology apart from Jess Haines, and apart from Jess’s story, I’m not likely to seek them out after reading their efforts in NOCTURNAL. All in all, this is a very disjointed collection containing a hardcore erotic story, two paranormal romances, and an urban fantasy.

The Phoenix Project by Jacquelyn Frank was by far the most sexually explicit thing I have ever read. The story is 130 pages...more
Marty Shaw
Nocturnal provides a great opportunity to try out some new authors that might not already be on your 'to-read' list. Each story is a stand-alone story in itself, but at least two of them tie into other stories.

The first story, The Phoenix Project, is my personal favorite. There's just something about the storyline itself, combined with the characters, that really made this one stand out for me. If I had to describe it in one sentence, it would be 'a werewolf story without werewolves'. Within a v...more
Anne
Jun 17, 2013 Anne marked it as to-read
Normally I don't really care for anthologies, and often, I have to skip some of the stories. Not this one! Overall, a great book!

The Phoenix Project by J Frank was the best. I loved it SO much. 4 stars....only b/c I wish it was longer! I do hope she will be writing more in this world.

Crystal Dreams by Kate Douglas was just average. 3 stars.

I really liked Spark of Temptation by Jess Haines. It seems to be about a secondary character in her Others series, which I have not read. Works well as a st...more
~Leslie~
I really liked " The Phoenix Project which was a short novel in this anthology by Jaquelyn Frank. Interesting concept of genetically altered humans, a little like X-men. The sex was very steamy. Wish it was a longer story. Started to read "Crystal Dreams" but didn't want to finish it. The writing was a little too simplistic for my taste. I also didn't want to read the other stories in this anthology.
Adriana Bookologist
Nocturnal

Crystal Dreams by Kate Douglas
2 Stars-It was okay.

The Phoenix Project by Jacquelyn Frank
4 Stars-Very Good Story. This story is the reason I’m keeping this book.

Spark of Temptation by Jess Haines
1 Star-I didn’t like it.

My Soul to Take by Clare Willis
1 Star-I didn’t like it.
Bookaholics
Nocturnal by Jacquelyn Frank, Kate Douglas, Jess Haines, and Clare Willis
Paranormal Romance - Sept. 7, 2010
4 ½ stars

Nocturnal was generally a fantastic paranormal anthology. I enjoyed most of the stories. Most of them are part of the authors' current or due to be released series.

The Phoenix Project
In The Phoenix Project Jacquelyn Frank begins a new genetically altered shifter paranormal.
Amara has lived a rough life and it only got worse when she was kidnapped and is now being experimented on....more
Jessica Gomez
This is a four part book.

The Phoenix Project, By: Jacquelyn Frank

I reall enjoyed this one on a personal level. ;) From start to finish, I found myself caught in the pages of this story. The poor people in these labs, the things they've had to suffer, are unimaginable. Until one day, Amara is put into a cell with a very large, and very sexy man...Naked. They know they have been experimented on, but have no idea the event that are about to unfold. Another great read, by Jacquelyn. Thank you for th...more
Carien
Sep 23, 2010 Carien rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pnr
The Phoenix Project" by Jacquelyn Frank
I'm not too sure of this story. The writing was good, the idea intriguing, but the story didn't get off the ground. It was merely a vehicle for some heavy smut (which was good smut I must confess) and when it came to actual non romantic action it faded to black or it was talked about after the fact. Not my favourite of the four.

"Crystal Dreams" by Kate Douglas
Nicely written and interesting enough to hold my attention even though it was a bit fluffy and pred...more
Torzilla
I opened this book with the sole intention of only reading Jess Haines's story. But then I was convinced by a certain someone to read the other stories, which is why I have decided to review all four pieces below.

Overall Verdict: 2/5 Stars

The Phoenix Project by Jacquelyn Frank - 2/5
Like many other reviewers have said previously, this book was the most sexual out of all four. And you know, if it weren't for a few factors, I think I would have truly enjoyed the story. The premise was interesting,...more
Habrewer
This was a very good anthology. I enjoyed all 4 stories but my favorites were The Phoenix Project and Crystal Dreams. I also found two new to me authors in Jess Haines and Clare Willis.

In The Phoenix Project you have a little bit of everything: love, sex, death and an evil scientist. The female lead Amara is strong, beautiful (she refused to cut her hair off) and very defiant. She had pulled herself out of the Hell she called childhood and was surviving on her own, until she was kidnapped. She...more
Donna
This book has four stories by four different authors.

The Phoenix Project by Jacquelyn Frank : Held captive, Amara is subjected to bizarre experiments that test her sanity. But nothing prepares her for being locked away naked with a sexy ex-cop... after they have been pumped full of drugs that increase their sexual appetites.

Crystal Dreams by Kate Douglas : When Lemurian Guard Darius chases a demon spirit to Earth he faces a lethal battle between good and evil. His ally is Mari, a breathtakingly...more
momokaachan
The rating is for "Spark of Temptation," a "by-the-way" story following Hunted by the Others. It featured two of the supporting characters and leads them into romance. Nothing out of the ordinary, except it was very pleasant to have Sara and Arnold come out ahead without turning either one of them into super-heroes. Nicely done.
Jean
Dec 07, 2013 Jean added it
3 stars. I only read "Spark of Temptation" by Jess Haines in this anthology since I enjoy the H&W Investigations series and am current through the 5th book Forsaken by the Others (H&W Investigations, #5) by Jess Haines.

This one was just okay for me. I think it's because I enjoy Shiarra as a narrator more than Sara. I missed Shiarra's humor and spunk. Sara came across as slightly boring for me. I did, however, enjoy seeing Arnold. There can never be too much Arnold in my opinion. :) I suspect I would have enjoyed this one more if I had read it in orde...more
Book
This story started out kind of weak. I didn't like to overall setting of the science lab, but by the middle when they put the two main lead characters together I started to really like it. I was looking for the series that should come out of this book and I want to read about the brother who should be the main male lead in the next full length novel. I hope she writes it. I am so happy this writer is back. She still has never topped her nightwalker series and I am so happy she is writing more bo...more
Stephanie Bolen
Two stories were good and two weren't. The Jacquelyn Frank story rocked, love to read the rest of that series.
Mara
"The Phoenix Project" by Jacquelyn Frank
I liked it a lot. It's very steamy, I'll admit, but the dark world she imagines make me wish she'll write a novel.

"Crystal Dreams" by Kate Douglas
DNF
Too fluffy, way too fluffy.

"Spark of Temptation" by Jess Haines
The reason I read this anthology. Great. If you like her series, you'll love this little story in which you can read about Sierra's partners and Jack the White Hat. As usual with Haines, there's humour too.

"My Soul to Take" by Clare Willis
DNF
After...more
Caitlin
"The Phoenix Project" By Jacquelyn Frank was extremely good. Nick and Amara would never have met normally but nothing is normal in labs that treat them like lab rats. The newest experiment has interesting results for Nick and Amara.

"My Soul to Take" by Clare Willis was okay, it is a story of a psych doctor who wants to help a patient who thinks hes possessed. Maggie Dillion starts to think drugs won't help Derek because there is really an evil spirit.
Stacey Conrad
I only read two of these stories, Kate Douglas' and Jacquelyn Frank's. I have read all of Kate's 'Fire" books and wanted the next. It can be read without having read the other novels in the series, and as such makes a nice taste into the world, I'd reccomend reading the others for a fuller understanding of the background.

Frank's story was definitely part of a series. I am curious about this series. I'll have to price it out.
Toni N
Some of the stories were great. Some of them were incredible! So as a whole, I would give the collaboration a "4." I'm a HUGE fan of the paranormal (vampires, werewolves, witches, etc.) And, I liked that these stories were different from anything I have read before. It also introduced me to a couple of authors I was unfamiliar with. And, I'm looking forward to reading more of their work.
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
Spark of Temptation- by Jess Haines ***
Finished the story, it was okay, I ended up liking Sara a bit more in this story then I did in the first book. Although now I really want to read the second book

The other story I wanted from this book is Crystal Dreams by Kate Douglas...but I need to read Hellfire before I start this one....so back on the TBR shelf for now
Carmen
I love Jacquelyn Frank's novels. She is on my list of go to, can do no wrong, authors. I was intrigued by the world of Morphates and the Dark Cities. I was dismayed when the short story ended almost too abruptly. I hope JF journeys there again. I miss the Shadow Dwellers too! As for the rest of the anthology, I'm ashamed to say I did not partake. My bad ;D
Kathy
sorry, I don't like it. I usually love jacquelyn frank but not this one. It is 4 authors, starting with jacquelyn. I found myself racing through it because I was bored. The story was fairly good but I was just couldn't really get into it. I didn't get to the other 3 stories. I'll take a break and go back to it later
Michelle
I don't usually go for anthologies, but each mini-novel in this book was a pretty decent length and gave me ample time to get completely wrapped up in the story before ending it perfectly. Each story in this book (of which there are four total) was incredible and exciting and full of all the things I love in a book!
Paraphrodite
Another typical anthology with 2 good stories and 2 pretty ordinary ones. I really liked Lynsay Sand's Phoenix Project and Kate Douglas's DemonSlayer short wasn't too bad. But it was hard for me to finish the other two stories, written in 1st person, one of my pet dislikes.
Gretchen
Really enjoyed another crazy World by Jacquelyn Frank here... she really does a great job of character and world... I can't wait to start her Nightwalkers series... I've been thinking about them for a while now... and have decised to commit!
Robin
The first story was off the hook great. The scenes were pleasing and the story well delivered. Crystal Dreams was good too with the protector... The other stories had some to be desired. All together, a good night time read.
Carol Weldon
I give Frank's "The Phoenix Project" 5 stars
I give Douglas' "Crystal Dreams" 4 stars - liked enough that I wanted to read more of the series.
I give Haines' "Spark of Temptation" and Willis' "My Soul to Take" both 2 stars.
Darcy
I only read the Jess Haines story and it was ok. I like Sara, but the story seemed forced a little bit for me. I did like relationship changes that she makes and thinks that with these ones she will be a lot more happy.
Marla
I read this and had to know more so I got books 1 & 2 and plowed right through them as well! I enjoyed all the short stories in this book. Nice writing styles and good action to the stories! More more more!
  • Taken by Sin (Demon Hunters, #4)
  • Deadly Promises (Includes: B.A.D. Series, #4.5; Black Ops, Inc., #5.5; Tracers, #4.5)
  • Moonburn (Abra Barrow #2)
  • HellFire (DemonSlayers #2)
  • Serpent Moon (A Tale of the Sazi, #8)
  • Phoenix Noir
  • Bedtime Stories: A Collection of Erotic Fairy Tales
  • Rock My World (The Wrong Bed) (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Once Bitten Twice Dead (Guardians of the Dark, #2)
  • Enslave: Beauty Tames the Beast
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • Yours For Eternity (MacNachton Vampires, #7; Guardians of Eternity, #6.5)
  • American Supernatural Tales
  • Poisoned Kisses (Mythica #3)
  • Four Dukes and a Devil
  • Celtic Fire (Druids of Avalon, #1)
  • The Real Werewives of Vampire County (Guardians of Eternity, #8.5)
  • Velvet, Leather & Lace: A Man's Gotta Do/Calling the Shots/Baring It All
I live in Asheville NC and have written a book...or two...or is it ten?
More about Jacquelyn Frank...
Jacob (Nightwalkers, #1) Elijah (Nightwalkers, #3) Damien (Nightwalkers, #4) Gideon (Nightwalkers, #2) Noah (Nightwalkers, #5)