3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,137 ratings  ·  157 reviews
From the bestselling author of The Elegant Gathering of White Snows comes a poignant, outrageous, refreshingly liberating story about one woman whose life takes an unexpectedturn....
Meg Fratano has just witnessed the unthinkable: her husband of twenty-seven years making love to another woman. In her bed. And all Meg wanted to do was watch. Quietly, secretly, watch. Then s...more
Published December 28th 2004 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn

Meredith Enos
This book was so frustrating. Sooo frustrating. It had so many well-written parts. Sooo many. Too many.

I know that sounds odd, for a book to have too many well-written parts, but this case there were so many lyrical parts that it stopped the action. The protagonist will have a crystallizing moment, where she remembers something, or realizes something, or frees herself from something, and it will feel beautiful and significant and that this journey is so important--and then something else will h...more
Arell Olson
I had high hopes for this book. After all, the title has the words Dancing Naked in them and for me, it has been my quest (in the last three years) that I can become the kind of person who is able to dance naked with no reservation. As for our main character, she must go through many trials and tribulations and a "self" search of sorts before she is able to dance naked, but I felt that she had a pretty easy time of it. Here she is, this woman, who discovers that her husband is having an affair....more
Sandra
I really liked this book and the author...haven't read a bad book yet from her. This book deals with finding yourself and feeling like you can do anything. I think every woman should read this, its inspiring, sad at times, shocking at times, funny and a wonderful friendship with women who have been feeling stuck in a rut, and also understanding how different we are. Its fiction, but it makes you think about your own life and the people in it, past or present. Definately a good read!
Angie B
Jan 19, 2010 Angie B rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for any woman and most men
Recommended to Angie by: my beautiful mother in law/life coach Dulce
Shelves: life-changing
This author has the ability to be every woman in every situation. This book grabbed me and lifted me to heights indescribable while emotionally wringing me dry. Must ALWAYS have this book in my home with spares to give and lend as needed!
Donna
This book was disappointing. It started off promising, but then got be more and more ridiculous as it went along. I finished it just in case it eventually got better, but it didn't.
Elizabeth
A good story about female friendship that had magical elements like the dancing dogs of Mexico and the "reverse bridal shower". The protagonist, Meg, suffers a mid-life crisis, and realizes how separate she is from the person she thought she would become. The book takes us through her decisions to begin anew. What sets her in motion is finding her husband in bed with another woman in their own home. I found the story kind of stodgy and repetitive. Maybe I just wasn't in the right "mood" as Nancy...more
Debbie
The first chapter of this book was really good... I loved the writing style, and it pulled me in. Unfortunately it was a downward slide from there. It was just too much....or too boring.....I wanted to throw the book at the wall so many times! I get its about women being empowered but it was all just stereotypical crap! I get that its about friendship among women, but these women were too over the top. None were relatable.

Meg is unhappy and these wonderful weird women are going to help her find...more
Karen
I'm almost hesitant to say anything because it sounds like a lot of people liked this...but then I remind myself a lot of people like trash.....I just don't happen to be one of them. It was probably an easy read but after the first few chapters I was so bored I put it in my goodwill bin. I believe this is the first book I ever stopped with no intention of finishing. The best part is the title. Glad I only paid $0.25 at a rummage sale.
Deb
Radish's books are a bit formulaic, but I still love them. I think books find you when you are ready to read them, or need to read them. This book spoke to me and has encouraged me to go for some dreams and goals that I have long avoided thinking about. I wish her characters were real and lived in my neighborhood, because they would be wonderful women to know.
Christy
Oh, how I loved this book. Oh, how I love this writer. It's a magnificent tale of women. How we sacrifice and give up ourselves for others. How some are conditioned to believe they cannot go after what they want because it is not proper or right. It is a beautiful story about women who wake-up and realize it is not too late to change.
Susan
Kris Radish writes for women who have had to deal with difficult changes in their lives...the loss of loved ones, divorce, the end of relationships, children growing up, moving out, moving on.... Her stories are hopeful, her women strong and friendships are powerful forces. I highly recommend this.
Carol
This book encompasses messages of happiness, passion, feminism and our individual responsibility to choose at any point in out lives. I cried through my first read of this book because - just maybe - it struck too close to home. I read it a second time to see more clearly (literally) the themes.
Sandra
Loved it.... Loved it! If you read the back you'll be thinking about throwing it back. Possibly.. anyhow if you don't this is a very entertaining book start to finish. Perfect combo of heartache, laughter and learning, a woman's journey to uninhibited self discovery. I enjoyed it very much.
Alesia
There were a lot of enlightening points in the book, but found it hard to stay interested at times. I don't normally 'skim' while reading, but had to here and there to keep from falling asleep. Not the best book I've ever read, but definitely worth reading....for women. Not a book for the boys.
Teresa
Another good one. The begining was odd, took me a bit to get into this character, but it turned out to be a lovely book.
Kris Radish seems to write novels that help women get through tough times and realize things they need to think about that maybe havent been thought before.
Ruth
Once again this author writes the praises of sisterhood by creating an enticing world of women helping women to become the empowered individuals we were meant to be. The story features powerful friendships and zeroes in on female longings and liberation, often with humor.
Diane
Feb 07, 2008 Diane rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fifty-ish Females
This was a disapointing read for me, if only because my expectations were so high: I loved both "Sunday List of Dreams" and Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral." The latter remains one of my favorite books of all time. So, while there were some memorable and enjoyable "Dancing" stories/images, overall it seemed flat. You know the moments that lifted this book up: Wanting to watch; the new apartment; discovering her daughter wasn't as naive nor fragile as she thought; the reverse bridal sh...more
Manuela Romero
I cannot bring myself to finish this book. The writing is boring. We have to read every trivial and trite thought of the main character. I always find it hard to understand how presumably intelligent women can become so shallow when confronted with a life crisis. I guess I am just having bad luck as this the second book in a row that fits this description and the second in a row that I cannot finish. These are the only two books I have not finished!
Kristi
I was a little disappointing in the Kris Radish novel. Now granted I read one of her more recent novels first, and this one was an earlier writing. What does that mean? She didn't have as much experience when she wrote this one. Maybe that had something to do with my level of enjoyment. Then again, maybe not. Who knows, really.

Long story short... I just didn't love this one like I did her Annie Freeman's Funeral. This one started off interesting and kept me interested until about 1/2 way throug...more
Jeana
Radish is part author and part poet in this book about self discovery and finding happiness in living authentically. As such, there were many moments in which I found myself becoming lost in vivid and descriptive passages and I had to find my way back to the thread of the story. She not only touches upon the sacred feminine, she grabs it up and sometimes beats you with it and there were many times in which I felt alienated because I seem to be enjoying a lifestyle that the heroine of the story i...more
Jen
Oct 20, 2007 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women going through a divorce
I enjoy the way Kris Radish celebrates the importance of female friendships, and I really enjoyed Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral because I read it when a friend had just died. I couldn't relate as well to Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn, which deals with divorce.

A woman walks in on her husband having sex with another woman, and this sets her on a journey of transformation - she's always subjugated her happiness to the needs of her husband and children. EVERYONE keeps telling her th...more
Tanya
Can't say I loved it... comes from another brand of feminism, maybe 15 years older than mine.... still, sometimes you need someone to say something, to help you over the hump, as it were. THis book helped me when I needed it. So, thanks for that.
Julia Putnam
6/16/14: I read and loved this book like 10 or 12 years ago. I bought it for people and recommended it to everyone as a book that every woman MUST read! And I do still feel that way. But it's interesting to read it at a different stage in my life. It definitely still applies, but it's different. The message and what is being said is still SO important and something that EVERY woman needs to hear and understand and apply to their lives... but I wasn't as enraptured by the characters or the story...more
Cindy
This was a very thought-provoking and motivating book, and I absolutely love Kris Radish! She just makes me feel good whenever I read her work. This is a story about a woman who walks in on her husband while he's having sex with another woman. The changes that she needs to go through to figure out who she is, what she wants to do, and how she's going to live are all explored in this book. The struggles, the tears, the laughs, the fears...its all there. And yet, it will leave you feeling motivate...more
Jill Dobbe
There were parts I liked and then parts that I didn't like. I did think it was well written, though. A good book for anyone thinking, wanting, or going through a divorce or other life change.
Amy Knight
When you read Kris Radish's books, you know that there will be characters that are strong women struggling with transition and change, but these women are surrounded by other women characters who love them and lift them up and support them and help them grow. Kris Radish writes, "because that's what women do." There are also male characters that cause heartache; more importantly, she includes male characters that are kind to women, love women, and please women.

Predictable? Yes, but who cares! I...more
Shelly
I like the book, even if it left me all melancholy and mopey.

Basically it is the tale of Meg who, after watching her husband cheating on her with another woman, starts on a journey of self discovery. She stops lying to herself, learns new things about her friends and family, and figures out that she can survive this and that she can start her life over again and do all the things that she always wanted to but never did.

It is a purely female tale... a story about how women really aren't all that...more
Karyn
Aug 13, 2008 Karyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women
This book is the first book from this author that I have read. I will probably try another one of her books. Definitely has the chick appeal to it. I don't usually read this sort of thing. For me, I could relate to losing oneself in the everyday stuff. I can't imagine going a way to Mexico with girlfriends, or anywhere for that matter. It made me think, what would I do if it were just me. And who exactly is me. I was excited when Meg found a new apartment, and admired Meg finding a new career. A...more
Shadoshard
It meandered along as would someone wallowing in their own personal tragedy but can't seem to pull themselves out. It was nice as a beach read for the day.
Erika
Okay, I tried. I really tried. But I didn't like this book AT ALL. In fact, Goodreads needs to add a "didn't finish" shelf because I didn't. (Maybe there is one and I just haven't discovered it yet.)

Anyway, I found it really hard to get into this book because the main character seemed so outdated.

My other gripe is that I think books should have a good mix of dialog with thoughts. This book had very little dialog and the main character's constant thoughts were so rambling that I didn't think I'd...more
  • Writing with Pictures: How to Write and Illustrate Children's Books
  • Tales of Beatnik Glory
  • What Night Brings
  • Beautiful Decay
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • Post Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #9)
  • Flabbergasted
  • The Dim Sum of All Things
  • Close to Spider Man
  • Fit to Be Tied (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #2)
  • The Forbidden Daughter
  • Uppity Women of the New World
  • Evenings at Five: A Novel and Five New Stories
  • Celebutantes
Kris started writing the moment she could hold a pencil. She grew up in Wisconsin, graduted from the University of Wisconsin with a journalism degree and hit the ground running. Her father calls her "the tornado". She worked as a newspaper reporter, bureau chief, nationally syndicated columnist, magazine writer, university lecturer, bartender, waitress, worm harvester, window washer....to name a f...more
More about Kris Radish...
Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral The Elegant Gathering of White Snows The Sunday List of Dreams Tuesday Night Miracles Searching for Paradise in Parker, PA