Skywriting: A Life Out of the Blue

Skywriting: A Life Out of the Blue

2.94 of 5 stars 2.94  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  41 reviews
“Truth arrives in microscopic increments, and when enough has accumulated–in a moment of recognition, you just know. You know because the truth fits. I was the only member of my family to lack the gene for numbers, but I do need things to add up. Approaching midlife, I became aware of a darkening feeling–was it something heavy on my heart, or was something missing? Gratefu...more
Published August 24th 2004 by Random House (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Skywriting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skywriting

Sandra Strange
In this autobiographical exploration, Jane Pauley, the network news and features commentator, records her memories of the years she spent climbing the ladder to the heights of daily TV. She explores her own psychological problems, as well, including her psychological breakdown and diagnosed bipolar disorder, speculating about the effects of her experiences—her family, childhood, teen years, and career. The narrative is unassuming, and that presents the problem. Her life, a life meeting and inter...more
Rick Ludwig
Having suffered from severe, suicidal depression myself, I found great resonance in jane's experiences. her ability to view things with a writers detachment while still clearly conveying the impact on her life made this a very compelling read and should help others to face their own issues with depression.
Lucimar
Loved this very honest account of her life and finally realizing she was bipolar. I totally appreciate the fact this book debunks alot of myths about what living with that diagnosis means.
Cyndy
I was kind of disappointed...she seemed to allude to a revelation about her family that never really happened. It was ok.
Jeff Crosby
"Skywriting" by the well-known NBC broadcast journalist Jane Pauley is an interesting read - especially for someone like me, who grew up in central Indiana and remembers her at the beginning of her career at WISH-TV Channel 8 in Indianapolis. The literary quality is impressive, and the vulnerability (especially about mental health) was somewhat disarming. If you've read her latest book "Your Life Calling" and enjoyed that, you might want to pick this earlier title up. The rare memoir of a celebr...more
Louise
While bi-polarism introduces the book and recurs, the theme is really Jane's career.

Jane was catapulted to fame not by experience, her knowledge of public affairs, or even her rolodex, but by her looks, youth, midwestern charm and ability to make interesting conversation. She tells the story of this unmerited rise in a straight forward fashion. I remember Jane and Bryant as unrehearsed, positive, informed and amazingly entertaining. Despite the lack of a resume, she clearly rose to the occasion....more
Ice
Scott
Jun 04, 2012 Scott marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I always liked her and did a wikipedia search because i was wondering whatever became of her. Didn't know she wrote a memoir about depression/bipolar so i'm adding it to my reading list

from wikipedia:".

Pauley is known for revealing very little, if anything, of her private life, which made the disclosure of her bipolar disorder all the more unexpected. The timing of her announcement coincided with the release of her autobiography, Skywriting: A Life Out of the Blue (2004) and the launch of her da...more
CJ
I like Jane Pauley, always have. I thought it might be interesting to learn a little more about her. She's the only other person I know of who has suffered from the same thing I have for almost my whole life - chronic idiopathic urticaria (unexplained hives).

Sometimes when I read a biography of someone, I end up liking them less. I actually like Jane Pauley more. She seems a bit baffled about why she's so well-liked/respected. Jane - people like you because you seem like someone who could live...more
Peggy
Jane Pauley's autobiography is an OK book. I am glad I read it, because it talks about her battle with depression and bipolar disorder brought on by being given steroids for an allergic reaction. Since I have experienced the same problem with steroids, it was nice to know that someone like Jane had this probem too. You will learn a lot about Jane's childhood, teenage years, her stint on the "Today" show and a lot about her family. It isn't the best written or most interesting book I have read bu...more
Connie Vogelgesang
not interesting to me. had to give up
Wendy Eastman link
I understand she wrote this book to revel her journey about receiving her diagnosis of bipolar but... I found it to be disjointed. I never understood her relationships with her families and what that had to do with being bipolar. When she described her hospital stay inn New York, all I could think about was "Oh, the life of the privileged." As someone that has had first hand experience with bipolar disorder, I didn't really enjoy this book as much as I had hoped.
Sharon Faith
May 26, 2008 Sharon Faith rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, really
I thought this would be interesting since I love news and had written for a newspaper. Journalism is a wonderful career, and journalists are very interesting people. So I thought until I read this book. Jane Pauley was NOT as interesting as I had imagined, and the book was clearly boring, listless, and empty. I wish she had written more about her work and career and less about her 'illness'.
subterraneanhomesickalien
An awful book by a terrible writer with nothing to say. Why did I read it? I guess because it was there. In my defense I was mentally ill at the time. The only thing about it I enjoyed was watching a once fairly respectable reporter completely embarrass herself with her self-absorbed drivel, her description of her psychotic break was amusing too, but only because it was so freaking pathetic.
Sue
I found this book at the D.I. for .75 so thought I couldn't lose.

I enjoyed it but found it a bit disjointed. I am a big fan of Jane Pauley who now writes for AARP. How did she and I get this old?

Anyway, it's a quick read, a nostalgic trip through her childhood and provides insight into her insecurities and personal struggles with medical induced bi-polar.
Margaret
I wanted to read this as I heard Jane had bipolar disorder and I was impressed that she was able to achieve all that she had achieved despite her condition. He bipolar disorder was brought on by hives (or the treatment of hives) when she was well into adulthood. There was alot of info about her childhood.
Susan
I've always admired Jane Pauley. From her story I learned that the treatment she received from a serious case of hives medically induced depression and bipolar disorder. Who knew? Favorite quote from the book:
"It's good to keep things in proportion. Awareness is healthy; alarm is not."
Leanne Hunt
Not being an American, I found all the references to American TV programmes uninteresting and lacking in substance. I read the book with a view to finding out about the author's experiences of bipolar disorder and was disappointed at how little there was about this after the opening section.
Nicki
I found this book frustrating. Jane Pauley was one of my favorite newscasters but this book showed a passivity I did not expect. I was disappointed in this account of her life and difficulties. I felt like she held back emotionally and did not fully embrace the truth of her experiences.
Polly
This readable book was hard to put down. Pauley begins with her incident of hospitalization for bi-polar disorder and works backwards, examining her early life and her family with a reporter's eye and a daughter's affection. A fine read.
Steve Garvin
Really enjoyed reading Jane Pauley's memoirs. Her book was as personable as her on-air personality seems to be. Genuine, empathetic, and open about her strengths and weaknesses. She is amazed by and grateful for her blessed life.
Catherine
I read this book expecting a good story about someone who found she was not who she thought she was. The bipolar incident in her life was downplayed and the book was basically fluff, not what I thought it would be.
J. Lassar
Jane Pauley is a wonderful writer, but I would have liked to know more about her bipolar disorder and how it affected her life. She brought it up in the beginning but didn't really explore the matter further.
Kristen
Apr 01, 2008 Kristen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone that wanted to read about Jane Pauley
This book is supposed to be about Jane Pauley's experience with bipolar disorder, but she barely even talks about the mental illness, and there is very little else of any interest in the story.
Clara Rasmussen
I have always loved and admired Jane Pauley as a news media celebrity and as a personality, She has always appeared to me as open and honest but always polite and respectful, as is her book.
Linda
Interesting, but very little about her bipolar disorder experience after discussing it in the beginning. I did learn many things about NBC, the Today Show and her involvement.
A newsanchor who develops bipolar late in life. She weaves her past together so she can better understand herself and find herself today. Thumbs up.
Jane
Interesting to read about her life because I really like her. Not the best book in the world, but good enough.
Deb
A biography of Jane Pauley...her rise to television stardom and her battle with mental illness.
Michael Rushnak
Mental Illness----more common than is reported or suspected...thanks to the honesty of Ms Pauley
Margaret Jane Pauley is an American television journalist, and has been involved in news reporting since 1975. She is most known for her 13 year tenure on NBC's Today program and later 12 years of Dateline NBC, and has acknowledged publicly her struggle with mental health and bipolar disorder.
More about Jane Pauley...
Your Life Calling: Reimagining the Rest of Your Life The Great Gatsby