Start by marking “Celtic Treasure: Unearthing the Riches of Celtic Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Celtic Treasure: Unear...

Elizabeth Babbs

Celtic Treasure: Unearthing the Riches of Celtic Spirituality

Celtic spirituality has been a great source of inspiration to many across the years. Now, popular author and performer Liz Babbs digs deeper into the riches of this ancient tradition, unearthing 8 Celtic themes of special relevance to contemporary life. Beautiful illustrations, evocative photography, and an accompanying CD make this an excellent gift.
80 pages

To ask other readers questions about Celtic Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celtic Treasure

Nicola Mansfield
Jul 24, 2010 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: I am Catholic and am interested in the early Church, especially the Saints.

Well, honestly, I didn't know what to expect from this book. What was Celtic Spirituality? Was it some new age thing or Christian? Upon opening the little book I was immediately met with Scripture and St. Patrick's Breastplate along with stunning photography of Christian ruins from the 1st millenium in Ireland and Scotland. This is a lovely, hand-sized gift book printed on quality paper. A delight to r
kari
May 10, 2010 kari rated it liked it
I liked this book for what's in it, but I'd have liked it more if it connected Christian spirituality with the pre-Christian history. That was what I thought this was going to be about and while I wasn't disappointed, I do wish it had included that so many of the sacred places actually pre-date the saints. That would have been more interesting, imo.
I'd have also liked to know what the photos were depicting, where the scenes were or what they were. Some simple notations on the photos or artwork w
Susan
Dec 04, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
3 stars for this little treasure. This is a sweet, little gift book, a nice stocking stuffer or friendship gift for Christians in the Christmas season, or for anyone interested in Celts. It is short at 80 pages and the format is one that is frequently found in card and gift shops: about 6" x 6.1" and hardback. It is filled with lovely photography as well as poems, prayers, Bible quotations, and information on Celt history and sprituality. For its little size, it packs a good deal more ...more
Clockstein Lockstein
Celtic Treasure by Liz Babbs is a study of the history of Christianity in Ireland along with stunning photographs of the region. Babbs discusses the faith of the Celts including their focus on finding God in nature, their belief in monasticism and their hospitality. Each short chapter uses Scripture, quotes from Irish saints, along with poetry by the author to emphasize the point, bringing it home to readers. This charming book is perfect for readers interested in the faith of this beautiful ...more
Mara
Mar 20, 2010 Mara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the one I won from the giveaways feature. I was really excited to receive this. The pictures in it are beautiful, and I think the author did a great job of putting it all together. The only thing was that it just wasn't for me-was thinking it was more about Celtic Spirituality, as in, the religion of the ancient Celts. This was pretty much entirely Christian themed, which is fine, but like I said, just not for me. I'll certainly pass it along to another Goodreads reader who will have a ...more
Bruce
Dec 02, 2009 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This is a small gift book. Within its 80 numbered pages are lovely pictures of natural landscapes, abbey ruins, and Celtic designs. One of the chapters provides short biographies of Celtic saints with some prayers attributed to them. The author has also written some excellent poetry that she intersperses with her prose. The Celtic Spirituality is definitely a Christian Catholic Spirituality. At this time of year, this would make a lovely gift for those attuned to this type of work.
Sandy Mckenzie
Feb 17, 2010 Sandy Mckenzie rated it really liked it
This is a small gift book. Within its 80 numbered pages are lovely pictures of natural landscapes, abbey ruins, and Celtic designs. It is a unique, featuring great content including historical information on early Celtic Christianity, along with the author's own original, contemplative Celtic prayers. I liked it, but overall I thought the photos and graphics were more impressive than the substance.
Wyndy
Feb 11, 2010 Wyndy rated it it was amazing
I was very impressed with this mini coffeetable book. I call it a mini coffeetable book because it has the content and designs arranged like a coffeetable book but is hand sized. The pictures are calming, soothing, and very much like I imagine that land, the poetry and ancient prayers interesting, and the description of the spiritual places intriguing. It made me want to learn more about the Christian history of the Celts and visit their spiritual places.
Annamarie
Feb 25, 2012 Annamarie rated it did not like it
Just realized that I've only posted some status updates of this book. What a disappointment this book was. It was entirely about Christianity on the British Isles without any reference to the vast spiritual history that existed long before Christianity arrived there. This is just one more fluffy book trying to take advantage of the western world's fascinations with all things "celtic" and bland religious writings.
Susy Flory
Sep 21, 2009 Susy Flory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a small but mighty book. It's a gift book with gorgeous photos of Ireland. But it's also unique, featuring great content including historical information on early Celtic Christianity, along with the author's own original, contemplative Celtic prayers. I met author Liz Babbs earlier this year at a writers conference. She's a missionary for the Church of England and lives with passion, boldness, and joy.
Sue
Dec 05, 2009 Sue rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a small book (about 6 inches square and 80 pages) filled with interesting information about Celtic Spirituality. It is beautifully illustrated and filled with poems and quotes to give a good appreciation of the subject matter. Would make a good gift for a stocking stuffer or something similar.
Tracey
Feb 20, 2015 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful gift book, a nice shape and size, and very attractive. The photography is wonderful, backing deeply thoughtful verse, mostly original. There is no CD included, though, as indicated in the synopsis above (at least in my copy).
Briscoe
Dec 03, 2009 Briscoe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a great little book. It is filled with beautiful artwork and photos. It has a nice mix of prose, poetry, quotations, and scriptures. It would make a great gift for anyone who is a fan of Celtic lore.
Molly
Dec 12, 2009 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this on first reads. This was a lovely read filled with insight and beautiful pictures. With thirst for knowlege concerning early European history and that particulary of the happenings of the church after Christ's death I found this book informative and well writen.
Megan
Jan 18, 2010 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a beautiful book that touches on several aspects of Celtic spirituality. I liked it, but overall I thought the photos and graphics were more impressive than the substance.
Willa Grant
Dec 07, 2009 Willa Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
An incredibly lush & lovely book-
Penney
Penney rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2010
Margaret Chind
Margaret Chind rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2010
Susan Gaddis
Susan Gaddis rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2013
Mary Brooks
Mary Brooks rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Carol
Dec 11, 2012 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely gift book.
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2010
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Beautiful pictures, interesting information. Great for anyone interested in all things Celtic.
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2016
Deena Scintilla
Deena Scintilla marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2009
Pickles
Pickles marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2009
Mysterium
Mysterium marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2009
Geri
Geri marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2009
Adrianna
Adrianna marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2009
Janette
Janette marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2009
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2009
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2009
Pam Morse
Pam Morse marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2009
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2010
Kayleen
Kayleen marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2010
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2010
Doug
Doug added it
Feb 21, 2011
Malia
Malia added it
Dec 16, 2011
Michal Horák
Michal Horák marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Ryan Murray
Ryan Murray marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016