Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  402 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Over the course of his short life, John Keats (1795-1821) honed a raw talent into a brilliant poetic maturity. By the end of his brief career, he had written poems of such beauty, imagination and generosity of spirit, that he had - unwittingly - fulfilled his wish that he should ‘be among the English poets after my death’. This wide-ranging selection of Keats’s poetry cont ...more

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Jan-Maat
Jun 04, 2014 Jan-Maat added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the tired, the poor and various huddled masses
In my schooling sex, death and poetry were provided courtesy of John Donne and his obvious lustiness and explicit intellectualising is not to be found here where hints and subtly reign. On the whole though I am too old, I think, for Keats what with his Belle Dame sans Merci and I find it difficult to square his elven grotts with his suburban London life.

In terms of the verse I was impressed with the narrative drive of Lamia and found myself in sympathy with the poor snake-woman. Maybe the antipa
Cheryl Gatling
I have loved Keats for many years, particularly for the Odes and some of his sonnets, particularly for the rich, luscious, sensuous details, and for lines that roll out just sounding completely right ("Thou foster child of silence and slow time," "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness."). But this collection contains more than Keats' most frequently anthologized works. It contains some silly little pieces he wrote to amuse himself or his friends. And it includes a good portion of his early lon ...more
Nithesh Satish
Dec 28, 2015 Nithesh Satish rated it really liked it
How can one fully understand the depth of Keats' poetry in a single sitting. Some of verses gave me goosebumps. Some made me understand the meaning of love and romance. I shall read Keats' poetry till I die. This is just the introduction
Stephen
Mar 25, 2012 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only read a few of his poems, but from what I've read I can't wait to read more.

Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on;
Not to the sensual ear, but, more endear'd,
Pipe to the spirit ditties of no tone:
Fair youth, beneath the trees, thou canst not leave 15
Thy song, nor ever can those trees be bare;
Bold Lover, never, never canst thou kiss,
Though winning near the goal—yet, do not grieve;
She cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss,
Kelvin Eng
Oct 21, 2015 Kelvin Eng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An anthology of brilliant, exquisite poetry, alongside a small collection of letters that sheds some light on the inspiration spurring Keats into the construction of some of his best-known works.

Woe be me to have initially read Endymion erroneously by perceiving the eponymous protagonist to be a deity, when he is, in fact but a mere mortal; this led to some unsavory confusions as to how it is possible for there being punitive restrictions against the bonding between two deities in love.
Also, wh
Steven Peterson
May 03, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Keats was one of the great Romantic poets. Unlike Wordsworth, he was another of those Romantics who died much younger than he should have (tuberculosis). I bought this many years ago, with a collection of other Romantic poetry. The price tag is still on this volume; it cost 50 cents from the Bradley University Book Store (so I probably bought it in 1968 or 1969)!

There is a very brief introductory essay that provides some context on the poet's works. Then, the remainder of this volume focus
Cocaine
Jan 27, 2016 Cocaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the fluufy stuff I thought it might be. Once you get beyond any preceived notions you may have you find a poet who richly desreves the kudos and acclaim he has received. Somethimes the poems are lenghty which in this modern age are a challenge but with some patient resolve the effort is soon rewarded.
Onur
Mar 03, 2014 Onur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'll be brief, and I'll be simple.
This is a brilliant man, whose Odes are of a quality which no man can imitate.

An Ode To Psyche and Ode To A Nightingale, two of the greatest poems ever.
If you don't like it, it's fine.
But to me, myself, and I, greatest poet and greatest poems ever.
Alicia Völkel diaz
Just beautiful classic poems of Love and melancholy.
Zari
Sep 11, 2015 Zari added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poem
Where's the Poet? show him! show him,
Muses nine! that I may know him.
'Tis the man who with a man
Is an equal, be he King,
Or poorest of the beggar-clan
Or any other wonderous thing
A man may be 'twixt ape and Plato;
'Tis the man who with a bird,
Wren or Eagle, finds his way to
All its instincts; he hath heard
The Lion's roaring, and can tell
What his horny throat expresseth,
And to him the Tiger's yell
Come articulate and presseth
Or his ear like mother-tongue.
Matthew Dalzell
Dec 25, 2012 Matthew Dalzell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received the Easton Press edition of the book, replete with leather styling, gold emboss, trim, and the illustrations of David Gentleman. The book is first-class in every way, and the presentation of Keats' selected works is truly artistic. I am saddened a little by the lack of line delineations, but this is a small concern with the rest of the book's quality in mind.
Tushar
Jun 02, 2013 Tushar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can't help but fall in love with this contemporary poet. The pain and romance this he manifests in his poems is magnificent and makes him a legend. He gained an audience after his death while robbing him a chance of life as a celebrated poet while he lived. I just love the chance to read romantics like him. Bliss :)
Colleen
Oct 15, 2015 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I've been in a poetry kick lately, probably prompted by rereading a Keats anthology (not this one, cover different and too lazy to go to my car and retrieve the book). Favorite is Hyperion. Damn tuberculosis--Keats died so young and had so few years in which luckily he was very productive.
David Gan
Jun 17, 2012 David Gan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The verses approach the sublime, especially in the odes, with their sensuous imagery and unexpected metaphors. I found it hard to fully sink my teeth into the narrative poems, inspired by classical mythology; when it comes to rendering the English landscape, though, Keats is quite peerless.
Marie
Keats has always been and will always be lovely. That he has infused the world with more beauty in his quarter-of-a-century life than most people do in their exponentially longer lifetimes only adds to his gorgeous literary creations.
Armando
I'm not very experienced in Poetry but I enjoyed Keats'. I enjoyed the rhythm and sound of words although I did not understand everything I read. Nevertheless this was challenging in a positive way.
Shouvik Hore
Jan 31, 2016 Shouvik Hore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a reasonable, indeed, more than reasonable entry into the Microcosm of Keats.
Torrey Busboom
Mar 16, 2015 Torrey Busboom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First proper introduction to poetry and I was pleasantly surprised.
Inna Shpitzberg
Feb 24, 2009 Inna Shpitzberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I just love good poetry. Keats is one of the bests.
Laura Jean
Laura Jean rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2016
Nidhi
Nidhi marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Ette
Ette marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Tim Gurowich
Tim Gurowich rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Marcelo Metayer
Marcelo Metayer rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Jude Brigley
Jude Brigley rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Hannele
Hannele marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Tommye Turner
Tommye Turner rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Erkin
Erkin is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2016
Ricardo Celis
Ricardo Celis marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
  • Selected Poetry
  • Selected Poetry
  • Kid
  • Spirits of the Dead: Tales and Other Poems
  • Selected Poetry and Prose
  • The Time Machine/The Island of Doctor Moreau (World's Classics)
  • Edmund Spenser's Poetry
  • The Difficult Farm
  • The Road Goes Ever on
  • We Are Now Beginning Our Descent
11978
John Keats was one of the principal poets of the English Romantic movement. During his short life, his work received constant critical attacks from the periodicals of the day, but his posthumous influence on poets such as Alfred Tennyson has been immense. Elaborate word choice and sensual imagery characterize Keats's poetry, including a series of odes that were his masterpieces and which remain am ...more
More about John Keats...