Start by marking “Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo, #1)

Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo #1)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,928 Ratings  ·  193 Reviews
"There will be times, girl, when all your magic ain't going to be enough, times when it will seem to dry up like mud under the noonday sun, or even make matters worse . . ."

Kallie Riviere, a fiery Cajun hoodoo apprentice with a talent for trouble, finds herself smack-dab in the middle of one of those times her mentor warned her about when she visits New Orleans to attend t
Published June 29th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published June 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Black Dust Mambo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Dust Mambo

Alisha
Aug 09, 2010 Alisha rated it it was ok
(Note: Gotta preface by saying that despite the rating, I wouldn't dissuade anyone from reading this book. I actually think many folk, especially my GR peeps, would like it.)

Well. Knock me over with a feather. I thought I'd really like this one. But there goes that.

This book starts off with a bang (no pun intended, though that works as well). It details the morning following a wild one-night stand for hoodoo apprentice ("root worker") Kallie Riviere. The reader is introduced to a scene with rump
Marg K.
Oct 31, 2011 Marg K. marked it as did-not-finish
Did Not Finish

This book was just plain silly. For example, despite being in a room with a freshly dead body and a lethal voodoo curse, a handful of the characters take the time to argue and flirt with one another like a bunch of sexually frustrated, moody teenagers. The story had some creative ideas but was unfortunately weighed down by cliches and shallow characterizations. On top of that, the heroine ran around mouthing off and assaulting people with complete disregard for the law of cause &am
Shera (Book Whispers)
Thoughts:

Starting off, I really disliked this authors previous book, A Rush of Wings. After I had finished it I was exhausted from forcing myself to through it. It was too wordy, like the author was trying to cram to many words into one sentence. There were so many characters that took turns telling the story that I was afraid when ever I saw a page break or a new chapter starting—I didn't want to start on a new character, or go back to characters I just wasn't interested in. A Rush of Wings was
Steph
Black Dust Mambo is the first in the Hoodoo series by Adrian Phoenix. Her Maker's Song series is one of my favorites, but this one just reinforced my love of her stories. Her world building in this one isn't nearly as complex or initially overwhelming. We jump right in Kallie's world with no acclimation needed.

After partying a little too hard at carnival the night before, Kallie wakes up in the bathroom to find the hottie nomad, Gage, she hooked up with in her bed - dead. First things first,
AH
Black Dust Mambo is a dark and sultry tale. Set in New Orleans during May Madness Carnival (think Spring Break for people with magical abilities), Black Dust Mambo has just the right amount of mystery and magic to keep me reading late into the night.

Imagine…the partying, the debauchery…a young woman’s first May Madness Carnival…all kinds of fun. And murder, black magic style.

Kallie Riviere wakes up to find her companion for the evening very dead. The victim’s best friend Layne Valin accuses Ka
Melindeeloo
Apr 24, 2012 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, magic
I am really late to the reviewing part on this one, so no blurb this time around.

Black Dust Mambo has been languishing on the TBR pile forever, though I did give it a short it was first released - I read the first page and was bummed out by the gorgeous guy who ended up dead just because he crawled in the wrong bed and set the book aside. But this time I made it past that part and once I did I was completely intrigued.

I don't know if I would have liked the book as much if the story, in true UF
HellKat ^_~ Courtney
May 06, 2010 HellKat ^_~ Courtney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
So totally excited to have been given the opportunity to review BLACK DUST MAMBO, the first in Adrian Phoenix’s new Hoodoo series! I have been hooked on Adrian ’s work since the moment I picked up A RUSH OF WINGS, the first book in her Maker’s Song series, and have been waiting patiently… well maybe not patiently… but waiting all the same to be able to get my hands on this book.

Kallie Revere has a past that haunts her. After almost dying and losing both of her parents she is sent to live with h
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
This book is the start of a great new series that easily surpasses the “Maker’s Song Series”. Ms. Phoenix, while she continues to write from multiple perspectives in this book, has 1) decreased those perspectives down to a manageable level and 2) brought those perspectives quickly together so that the reader is not left hanging, wondering why the heck you are reading about some minor character who happens to be the maid.

The story is dark, and fascinating. Ms. Phoenix has created a world, a lang
Jenne
Dec 02, 2014 Jenne rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, read-in-2014
4.25
This book was great! I'm a huge fan of Ms. Phoenix's Maker's Song books and this had a similar feel. At least in regards to the setting, the Creole vibe, and the interesting and odd characters. The last half had me glued to the story. This wasn't as dark as her other series either. I'll be reading book 2 pretty soon. I have to know what's happening!!
Sarah (SB) ღ
Oct 10, 2012 Sarah (SB) ღ rated it liked it
Ugh! Seriously, THAT'S how it ended! I'm so jacked about the stupid ending I wanted to give it 2, it deserves bonus points for really cool readability, so 3 it is. I'll never suggest it to a friend though, the last quarter was lacking.
Writtenwyrdd
Jul 08, 2010 Writtenwyrdd rated it really liked it
I liked this book tremendously. It's set in the same world in which the author's Maker's Song series is set, and the focus of this story is the hoodoo practitioners and motorcycle riding gypsy types called nomads. The setting is at a magical practitioner's Carnival, and someone is killed. Our protagonist, Kallie Riviere, is a hoodoo, a magical practitioner from a tradition developed from sancretization of catholicism and african religious elements. Someone has set a spell to kill Kallie...but it ...more
Donna
Jul 12, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it
My rating: 4.5 stars

Black Dust Mambo kept a fast pace with action packed scenes, a few that were very intense, that included bits of snaky humor. It encompassed the stereotypical Cancun people speak along with the traditional superstitions of voodoo/hoodoo conjuring and practices, which are two of the reasons that I really enjoyed this book. Adrian Phoenix made these stereotypes work for this book in the form of making more authentic and turned it into an intense, fun, sit-on-the-edge of your se
Roxanne
Sep 22, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
Oh I loved this book! I was a bit skeptical because it had some bad reviews but I'm SO glad I ignored them.

Kallie the main character was fantastic, she was sarcastic, stubborn and hard-headed. Not to mention she is literally in a bra and panties for half the book. Her best friend Belladona was hilarious and there's nothing she wouldn't do for Kallie. Then there is Kallie's Love interest, his name is Layne who is always being followed and bossed around by his ex-wife Mc Kenna aka leprechaun due t
Laurie Garrison
Jul 15, 2010 Laurie Garrison rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This one is just there for me, for the likes of me don’t know why I couldn’t get into it the way I wanted to, but after a little of over a hundred pages I quit. You get action, mystery, magic and a great cast of characters. I loved the setting. I didn’t like how it took you from reading about one character to another in each chapter. I really like to concentrate on the main character with little from the others. That was one of my major problems with this book, I wanted to read more about Kallie ...more
Judithe
Apr 04, 2011 Judithe rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Judithe by: Steph B
I was amazed at the compacted time in the story...but it still moved quite quickly! It took me a bit to "adjust" to this world, and there are a lot of characters to remember, but it was a good read! I'm so looking forward to the next book...though I thought about removing one star because of the extreme cliffhanger end.
Paranormal Haven
Kallie Wakes up to find her date for the night dead by evil JuJu, wail still trying to get a grip on the situation she is confronted by the handsome demanding nomad Layne . Even with the tragedy of the events that have just happened in her hotel room she cant help but feel drawn to this strange nomad who is blaming her for his clan members' death. Finding out that the nomad is also a vessel for the dead . He decides to speak to the dead nomad and fond out who caused his untimely death only to fi ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I haven't read her Makers series yet so I don't know how similar this is to that.
I think this series has a lot of potential. It has a very strong flavour for lack of a better word, particulary with the language and the general atmosphere. It's sufficently exotic for me to be intriguing. I haven't read a lot about a hoodoo/voodoo so I find it interesting though I have no idea how genuine it is.
What did bug me was the first few chapters or so. I appreciate the banter between the introduced charact
Jolene
Jan 18, 2011 Jolene rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a planned series, the next book to follow is titled Black Heart Lola and is planned to be released on June of this year. If your a fan of Adrian's Maker Song series, don't compare it to this book. When I picked this book up, I was expecting it to be somewhere along the same lines. A paranormal romance filled with action, struggle, mystery, biting my nails suspense and an underlying romance. This book carries all of the above, minus the romance. At first I was a little d ...more
Leslie
Aug 12, 2011 Leslie rated it it was ok
2.5/5

I found it hard to stay interested in this book. Have you ever read a book that isn't good or bad and leaves you shrugging your shoulders thinking "meh." That's how I felt about this one. It isn't a can't-put-it-down-must-find- out-what-happens-next type book. Well at least it wasn't to me.
The main character is Kallie Riviere, a hoodoo apprentice. She gets caught up in a deadly case of mistaken identity when Doctor Heron, (powerful hoodoo practitioner, just released from prison for murder)
Kelly
Jul 28, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
Kallie Riviere, a hoodoo rootworker, attends an annual witches’ carnival looking for some fun. She thinks she’s found it in the form of sexy nomad Gage, but before they can do the deed, Kallie passes out in the bathroom while Gage goes to bed alone. In the morning, Kallie finds Gage murdered, the victim of a hex that was laid on Kallie’s bed.

Before long, she has Gage’s disturbingly attractive clan brother knocking on her door looking for answers, the Hecatean Alliance (the witch organization beh
Torzilla
Aug 17, 2012 Torzilla rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Well, Black Dust Mambo was certainly an interesting book to end my reading break. I began this title at the pool while in New Orleans during AAD12 and have been reading it on and off since then. I was hooked and absolutely loved the lingo and characterization. I also loved the dramatic start.

The only two weaknesses I found were the multiple POVs and the middle of the book. The POVs made this book strong and weak. In the beginning, we jumped from character to character and never got a chance to
drey
Apr 05, 2011 drey rated it really liked it
Adrian Phoenix's Black Dust Mambo starts out with a dead body and takes off like a jet on rocket fuel. (Ok, I'm no rocket scientist, so if that means the jet explodes, that's so not what I mean!) Kallie Rivière is in New Orleans and finds out that passing out in the bathroom after drinking and doing the horizontal tango, isn't a good idea... Especially when the she wakes up and finds the tango partner dead in her hotel bed. Kinda kills the mood lickety-split, don'tcha think?

Before she can bat an
Cher
Sep 22, 2011 Cher rated it it was amazing
A new magical Bayou fantasy series from Adrian Phoenix that hurls you into a bloody, dark and fast-moving, page turning world. Ms. Phoenix already writes a great urban fantasy series, The Maker's Song.

This new series brings us a naive Kallie Rivere, feisty, sarcastic and packs a knuckle-fisted punch, who has come to New Orleans for the magical May Madness Carnival. From the first page where she awakens after a drunken night to find the man she slept with Gage,dead and bloody in her bed to helpi
Yodamom
2.5-3 I love Adrian Phoenix's Maker Song series but this was nothing like it. Kallie the heroine- she brash, rude, makes stupid choices and punches her friends in the face for trying to protect her. Her friend Belladonna is almost exactly the same. I was so taken aback by their weak choices, unbelievable actions and misplaced distrust I could not enjoy the story. I just did not like either one of them. They treated their male friends with such disrespect...Well I just couldn't get past them.
The
Aki
I didn't get very far into this one. I just gave up because it was just... stupid. Insipid characters, even worse situations, yep-- I can't even call it a hot mess. More like a sad, stupid one that's cold, cold, cold.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Aug 08, 2011 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it liked it
Shelves: uf
This one is between 3.5-4 stars for me.

Lots of hoodoo, voodoo, magic and revenge set in Louisiana. I think it's a great start and the world is pretty cool, but the story was unfinished. I really need to read the next one. Luckily for me, it's out now.

Another 3rd person following a few different characters - rare for UF as most are 1st person. I liked it, and think it was the right choice for this story, although I don't feel as though I know the main character, Kallie, as well as I would in a 1
Ayesha
When's the sequel comin'? I like Black Dust Mambo -even more- than A Rush of Wings, and -that- book just Rocks So Hard, Yo. :) Kallie, Layne (doesn't even the name just make you want him? mmmm), McKenna, Bell and Dallas.... they're all amazing and tough and funny and sexy and awesome, and I can't wait to see what's in store for them. Hopefully beaucoup sexytimes ;) Of course they're all so sexy on their own, a joining of forces might be too much. Be still, my heart! :))
Jul 16, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, urban-fantasy
Yet another Adrian Phoenix book that I loved!!

Kallie is a hoodoo "root doctor" that is at the annual magic carnival with her best friend. The book begins with her finding her lovers dead body in her bed and his nomad "brother" knocking on the door to find him... Then we're off on a lovely adventure filled with death, mystery and a severe case of mistaken identity.

At the end of this book, we are left hanging as another mystery unfolds.
Rosalind M
Jul 27, 2010 Rosalind M rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The heroine was too belligerent and quick to use her fists for met to ever get to like her. And I was very, very uncomfortable with what happened to Layne while he was "not himself".
☀Rachael☀
Dec 03, 2014 ☀Rachael☀ rated it liked it
Maybe this author is just not for me :( I just didn't feel anything for any of the characters! If they ever come out on audio I'll try again otherwise I won't!
USA Geography Cha...: Black Dust Mambo by Adrian Phoenix 1 2 Dec 29, 2014 01:13AM
  • Skin Deep (Laura Blackstone, #1)
  • Don't Kill The Messenger (Messenger, #1)
  • Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1)
  • Viper Moon (Earth Witches, #1)
  • Dark Time (Mortal Path, #1)
  • Embers (Anya Kalinczyk, #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #1)
  • Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1)
  • Blood Law (Alexandra Sabian, #1)
  • Spellbent (Jessie Shimmer, #1)
  • Dead on the Delta (Annabelle Lee, #1)
  • Hunted by the Others (H&W Investigations, #1)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)
  • Ravenous (The Dark Forgotten, #1)
  • Highborn (Dark Redemption, #1)
Adrian Phoenix writes urban fantasy and is the author of The Maker's Song series, (currently working on book 6) and the Hoodoo series, the third book, Black Moon Mojo and the forthcoming Sons of Darkness series. Her humorous paranormal Thinning the Herd was released January 2016.

She lives in Springfield, Oregon in a zombie-free home (except when meeting deadlines) with three cats, Keats, Emily, an
More about Adrian Phoenix...

Hoodoo (2 books)
  • Black Heart Loa (Hoodoo, #2)

“Nothing, Basil. I’ll see you in a few,”
Fine, and it’s Lord Basil.”
Even in the bedroom?”
Especially in the bedroom.”
9 likes
“You... what was that word you just used? Apologize? First 'please' and now 'apologize'? I think I need to sit down.” 5 likes