Jemima Puddle-Duck: A Sound Book

Jemima Puddle-Duck: A Sound Book (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  5,494 ratings  ·  127 reviews
The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck is brought to life with new sound technology. Musical sounds included on each spread enhance the classic story of Jemima Puddle-Duck, her ducklings, and a certain foxy gentleman. This technology integrates sounds right into the book without any clunky buttons. The interactive sounds include: bunnies melody, pit pat, paddle pat pit pat, waddle...more
Published January 21st 2010 by Warne (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Jemima Puddle-Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jemima Puddle-Duck

Manny
There's a scene in the movie Heartburn where Jack Nicholson is reading this book to his very young daughter. He finishes it, and sits there stunned for a second. Then he shakes his head and whistles. "Whew! What a story!"

I concur :)
_______________________________________

The plot of Jemima Puddleduck is remarkable similar to that of many trashy French crime novels. I consider this further in my review of Les Stripteaseuses du Petit Ecran.
Caroline
I read this as a child, but that was a gazillion years ago. Thanks to a friend sending me a link again today, I got the chance to enjoy it again, this time on-line. It was incredibly interesting too, in some instances Beatrix Potter's animal and bird-centric perspective makes one feel a bit uncomfortable. Nature (& mankind's) harsher realities are not avoided. What a rewarding read.

PS ....and those illustrations.... ♥ ♥ ♥

Skylar Burris
Your average child in the early 1900's must have had considerably more advanced vocabulary expectations than your average child today. I'm always amazed by the complexity of these Potter stories compared to modern children's stories, although this one is slightly simpler than the others.

This is one of my daughter's favorite Beatrix Potter stories. Of course. There is a sinister threat involved, and potential death, and destruction. That sort of thing always manages to hold her interest. Beware...more
GoldGato
Jemima Puddle-Duck, a duck before her time, wants to hatch her own eggs. While her sister-in-law is quite happy to bypass such a rigorous job, Jemima is adamant...her eggs, her hatching. She leaves the safety of the farm to find a special nesting spot, but this liberated ducky runs into a foxy gentleman who is not quite the good samaritan as she believes him to be.

Allen Atkinson is the illustrator for this edition of the Potter classic. Such a wonderful talent who died so young, his Peter Rabbit...more
Kristi Gatti
We just went through some boxes and I found this book.
I remember being stunned at the ending. Is there a moral? Maybe "don't trust anyone". If you need to give your kids a reality check...read this. No Hollywood ending here.
Chris
Potter really does have a wonderful sense of humor. There is a whole other level for adults here.
Somerandom
Another wonderful helping of Miss Potter and her charming stories.
Yay!
Although, looking at other posters, I think I have the "complete" edition, instead of this one.

This book is another simple but engaging read, with some wonderful vocabulary lessons and treats children like they actually deserve to be treated. As always, the colorful and vibrant illustrations make their appearance.

This may be traitorous to my generation, but Old School is definitely looking superior at the moment. A time when...more
Rauf
Jul 24, 2009 Rauf rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: children, fiction, weekend
Jemima Puddleduck wanted to hatch her own eggs. Luckily, a kind Fox she met in the woods knew the perfect place for her to do so: his house. Anyone could see the Fox was up to no good but not Jemima. So she went to the Fox's everyday and nothing happened because the Fox was biding his time.
Jemima told her whole situation to her friend a collie named Kep. And when Jemima left for the Fox's house one day (carrying with her some nice herbs; the Fox's order. They were for an omelette he was going to...more
Jazz
Potter's stories are just as funny and scary as I remember them from childhood. Poor Jemima learns she can't even rely on her saviors to refrain from eating her family. She doesn't seem to mind much, as she is happy with her new set of ducklings the following season. Potter's animals live in a strange world populated by humans, but rather different from them. Her illustrations are simple yet gorgeous, and even unnerving in a humorous way.
Read2review
** For the full review please check out www.read2review.com **

This is the third and last of the Beatrix Potter books that I have selected to review for the site. This tale of the trusting Duck who just wants to bring up her own eggs is a touching story about trusting the wrong people. A don’t trust strangers story.

I think that this version of the book is very accessible for anyone young or old who would like to learn from this story. I love the fact that the dogs go and save her from Mr Fox.

I w...more
Mimi
One thing I love about Beatrix Potter's books is that they almost seem like they are for adults in how she has not glossed over country life at all. And perhaps that is more a sign of the time than her trying to write for adults. Perhaps there was no point in making country life (animal life) more gentle back then, because all children were aware of the realities of country living. For instance, in this story, the whole time we are following Jemima's desire to be a mother and then her eggs are h...more
A.C. Bauch
I liked the shaped board format of this book, and my son seemed to enjoy the visual interest it added. I've always loved Beatrix Potter's stories and the books' detailed, colorful illustrations. Like many of her works, this story is deceptively simple, with much subtext. Although straightforward children's books are great too, sometimes it's nice to engage with one that has levels of meaning.
Valerie
I think this also is the right edition. It also has 'The Original And Authorized Edition' on the cover.

This book, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure I never have read--so don't tell me how it ends. The illustrations show a very housewifely duck, apron and all, and in one, she's talking to a fox. So there's probably a trickster element in the story.

Potter lived a large part of her life in the Lake Country in England, so the landscapes and animals are native to that realm. I would be very surprise...more
B-zee
Kisah yang agak panjang, dengan kosa kata yang lumayan banyak. Jemima sebenarnya punya niat yang baik dan berusaha mewujudkan dengan usahanya sendiri. Tetapi dia jadi kurang waspada dan justru berakhir dengan kurang baik. Bantuan datang terlambat, tetapi toh akhirnya dia belajar. Yah, niat yang baik harus didukung dengan kemampuan yang baik juga sepertinya.
Alicia
I liked this tale of the not-so-bright Jemima Puddle-Duck getting conned better than the Timmy Tip-Toes we read the other night. Evelyn, however, like Timmy's tale better because there were songs in it. Evelyn was excited to guess that the sandy whiskered gentleman was going to trick Jemima because "He is a fox."
Lorah
Poor little Jemima Puddle-Duck, all she wants to do is hatch her own eggs. In her naivety she listens to the advice of a mischievous fox who has a plan all of his own for her and the eggs....

I love this tale now just as much as when I read it as a child. The illustrations are beautiful and Jemima Puddle-Duck is one determined egg hatching little ducky.
Lindsey
This is a highly abridged version of Potter's original Jemima Puddle-Duck story, in which Jemima's foolishness is downplayed and the fate of her first clutch of eggs is erased.

This version does make a good choice for teaching preschoolers about context clues and "what happens next" as the text does not explicitly state that the "gentleman" is a fox until Kep the dog runs him out of town. (What foxes do to ducks and their eggs is never mentioned at all.) It would also be a good spring board for t...more
Cordellya Smith
The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck is a very cute, short story. It is great that the dogs make sure the fox is never seen again in the end but the book doesn't go into any bloody details on it.
Kaethe
I have always loved the foxy whiskered gentleman, and have always been concerned about Jemima's naivete. Poor, stupid duck. My children were rather less than impressed with how the big strong dogs save her.
Ashley
This was "based on the original tale." The original tale is better. Not sure why it needed to be abridged?
Onysha
A little disturbing and nasty.

Don't be taken in by foxes, dearie, no matter how dapper they are.
Blair Mirth
I was cleaning out some crates and I found this old book. I got given it in the easter of 1994 [when I was four] and upon opening it a rush of childhood memories came flodding back. I am sure everyone has read this book, so I won't do a review or thoughts. I'll just say how important it is sometimes to actually go back and re-read your favorite books- despite all the fancy challenges on blogs and good reads. I want to read more childrens books and try and find some of my old favorites because ex...more
April Dorris
Lesson for the day. Stay at home. There is always someone out there trying to get at what you lay.
Readeyphoebe
I really love this teeny book. Something happy to read when feeling disheartened.
Jemima Puddle-Duck is just so much fun to say! Though I had a nearly complete collection of Beatrix Potter books and figurines I remember little about the actual stories, save for The Tale of Peter Rabbit. No matter because it is the illustrations that shine. Potter's endearing little creatures evoke that sense of a laid-back, gray, drizzly day in England with nothing more on the agenda than an afternoon constitution and high tea with loved ones.
Kathryn
Such an innocent, trusting duck who only wants to hatch her own eggs.
Monika
Potter's illustrations are beautiful and it's pure joy to be able to watch author's art in the book. This one is for children, so it's nice that they will be influenced by the original pictures.

Although, the story might be a little bit too scary for a very young children. Also, it doesn't have that great ending as in other books in the series. But it's a part of the big picture, so I'd recommend it anyway.
Andie
It seemed to be missing a whole piece of the story. The fox invited Jemima Puddle-Duck to the farm, and then the dogs chased the fox away and then it ended. I think that I need to read the REAL full length story to understand what's going on. Plus, I've found out that infants have a hard time seeing in pastels, which perhaps accounts for my 4 month old daughter not being quite as interested in this book.
Lesley Arrowsmith
This was the very first book that I read where I worked out what was going to happen next before the story told me! I must have been about five. I clearly remember the charming Mr Fox inviting Jemima home with him to lay her eggs - and me going "No! Don't go with him!"
Strangely, though I read this book over and over, I never got any other Beatrix Potter books. I've read several, but as an adult.
  • Mr. Tickle (Mr. Men, #1)
  • Summer Story
  • Pumpkin Soup
  • The Mousehole Cat
  • The Adventures of Peter Cottontail
  • Madlenka
  • Katy No-Pocket
  • One Snowy Night (Book & Tape)
  • Avocado Baby
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • Slinky Malinki
  • Mister Magnolia
  • Little Fur Family
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan...more
More about Beatrix Potter...
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Benjamin Bunny The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle