Start by marking “Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales” as Want to Read:
Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales

Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,431 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Menacing tales from one of the masters of horror fictionAlthough Bram Stoker is best known for his world-famous novel Dracula, he also wrote many shorter works on the strange and the macabre. Comprised of spine-chilling tales published by Stoker’s widow after his death, as well as The Lair of the White Worm, an intensely intriguing novel of myths, legends, and unspeakable ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by Penguin Classics (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales

Pramod Nair
This collection of nine outlandish and macabre short stories from Bram Stocker was originally published in 1914 with the title Dracula's Guest & Other Supernatural Tales. It was published as an anthology after Stocker's death by his widow and contained some of his previously published short stories along with an unpublished tale named Dracula's Guest - which was discovered in manuscript form from Bram Stocker's papers in 1912.

In the preface to the anthology, Florence Bram Stocker, the widow
Sean Gibson
Not really a review, but a brief discussion about a cool experience reading this book in a spooky old library can be found here:

As I ventured to end my sojourn into literature that bore tales of the supernatural and with a presage of dread, in an effort to diversify my reading habits, I tread not farther than the writers who had earlier bought me great joy with their superior penmanship. And with the end of Halloween for the year was drawing to a close, I chose this collection of stories written by the writer who had romanced me with the gothic allure of Dracula.

Published posthumously by his wife, the primary in the col

Tobin Elliott

Gotta say, I had a fun time with this one. The title story is literally an outtake from Dracula, and, to be honest, likely the weakest of the lot. Stoker breaks out all the classic horror tropes here: rats, unsavoury characters, drafty old houses, all of it.

None of the stories are truly terrifying. The intervening 120 years between its publish date and now have seen to that, but the stories are absolutely well-written and enjoyable. Stoker shows he has a deft touch with characters at times, tho
Cat Tobin
Some great stories in this; the one about the kitten ("The Squaw") is eye-squeezingly and shoulder-tensingly horrific, "The Judge's House" left me nervous about being alone in the house, and "A Gipsy Prophecy" and "A Crystal cup" were no less horrific for highly tragic. Others, like "The Red Stockade", left me more confused than scared, but overall this is a good read.
Loved this short story by Bram Stoker. A very tense, scary story that is well-written with a twist I should have seen coming.
Hate to rate Stoker so low since I LOVED Dracula however, some of these stories were just gruesome. I don't really enjoy that sort of dark stuff. I didn't care to finish the book.
Jul 28, 2014 Bruce rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bram Stoker fans, Fans of Gothic Horror
Shelves: gothic-horror, horror
Since this volume actually consists of two books published together, I'm going to write two brief reviews for both of them.

Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Stories

The problem with reviewing any collection of short stories is that, by it's very nature, the volume will have definite ups and downs. While this is still present in Dracula's Guest..., the lesser stories are simply adequate. The three best tales are are all grouped together at the very beginning, but the others all have their worthwhile
Oct 22, 2015 M rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror, gothic
(Note: this rating and review is only about the short stories. To read my review of Lair of the White Worm go to that page.)

This is an excellent collection of short stories, with some really creepy and disturbing ones. Stoker clearly didn't have a one-off hit with Dracula - he's got a lot more good stuff in him. I've read Dracula's Guest, the titular story, a number of times before, and while it's still fun, it's definitely one of the weaker ones. It lacks the terror and cleverness of the first
Oooooh! Some eerie stories in here.

My favourites were "A Dream of Red Hands" and "The Chain of Destiny".

"The Crystal Cup" was a very different type of story from the rest of the collection; haunting, tragic, and so well described I could picture each scene.
I enjoyed this book; the only reason I didn't give it a higher rating was because one or two of the stores were just kinda blah. But the majority were very interesting and freaky: personal favorite is The Judge's House.
Dracula's Guest is a collection of short stories by Bram Stoker which includes: Dracula's Guest The Judge's House The Gipsy Prophecy The Coming of Abel Behenna The Burial of the Rats A Dream of Red Hands Crooken Sands and The Secret of Growing Old. In Dracula's guest you follow a young Englishman who is in a town and on Walpurgis Night leaves his carriage to wander off and see an abandoned village. The village was deemed unholy which sparked his interest to begin with. While there he sees a tomb ...more
The variety of this collection is it's real strength, there's nothing here I would term an absolute masterpiece, but the stories are consistently good, and for that alone the collection is worthy of praise.

I list them here, my favorites first:

"Dracula's Guest" is a great story about an Englishman who doesn't heed warnings about an abandoned German village full of vampires.

"The Judge's House" is another great story, a classic haunted house tale full of cozy, yet creepy atmosphere about a student
Бранимир Събев
Сборник с девет разказа от бащата на "Дракула", издаден с подкрепата на Ирландската организация за литературен обмен. Първият разказ, на който е кръстен сборника, е леко намигане към почитателите на най-известния вампир в изкуството - един английски джентълмен се изгубва в зимната гора, съвсем сам, какво ли го очаква... Обичам да чета разкази на ужаса от XIX в. - Стокър, Джеймс, Конан Дойл, По и др. Особено пък ако са писани от британци по времето на Кралица Виктория - този на места чуден, леко ...more
Shawn Fairweather
What is fascinating to me are the literary differences and evolution of the horror genre over the years. In the glory days of Hollywood of the 40's and 50's horror films were often campy and in a sense non-risky. There were some underground films that were buried for many years such as 2000 Maniacs or Dementia 13 that emerged in the 60's that took some real risks in terms of gore and terror, but for the most part, the genre was timid. After reading Stokers collective work here, his usage of terr ...more
Oct 11, 2011 Alexander rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of "Dracula" and other vampire legends, Fans of the macabre
Bram Stoker's collection of short stories is overall a good read, though it gets quite tedious in spots because of his love of going into descriptions of settings and moods and whatnot for page upon page upon page. One can argue that this is just a product of the age that it was written in (take into consideration their thought processes and speaking styles, etc.) Because of this, conversations that, by today's standards, would be confined to few paragraphs stretch on for the span of an entire c ...more
Laura Morrigan
I would definitely recommend getting a lightly annotated or footnoted edition of this book, such as this one. Stoker makes reference to many interesting scientific and historical facts and studies such as mesmerism, the Hellgate explosion, the Philosopher's Stone, genus and species, Voodoo, etc. and it is good to have an explanation and reference for those you may not be familiar with.

The book consists of a series of (mostly) Gothic short stories and the novella, The Lair of the White Worm.

Voisin antaa kirjalle 3.5 tähteä, mutta valitettavasti ei voi antaa puolikasta, joten täytyy tyytyä kolmoseen.
Kirjan ensimmäinen tarina oli mielenkiintoinen ja odotin, että olisi ollut hieman pidempi, mutta päätös tuli yllättäen. Kuin olisi jäänyt kesken, mutta ilmeisesti se on tarkoituskin.
Jotkut tarinoista eivät olleet kovin viehättäviä, ja minä odotin enemmän vampyrismia, ihmissusia yms. taruolentoja.
Kirja oli luettava, ihastuin Stokerin kirjoitustyylin ja siihen, kuinka hän oli osannut ku
International Cat Lady
I was incredibly disappointed by this collection of short stories, written by Bram Stoker and published by his wife after his death. Dracula is one of my favorite books, and has been for years. The story 'Dracula's Guest' was interesting (I enjoyed seeing what had been chopped from Dracula by Stoker's publisher), but I really couldn't get into any of the other stories at all. Some just seemed too shallow (they would've made decent stories had they been fleshed out a little more), while others we ...more
marc santini
I really enjoyed some of the stories in this book some more than others but i didn't find any of them to be bad. This book is what i would call a great public transport book you will finish one of the stories on a short bus trip which i find great being you don't need to wait until the bus ride home to find out what happens next.
Debbie Jarrell
After reading Dracula I wanted to read more from Bram Stoker, so I chose this book of short stories. Although I enjoyed it, I much preferred Dracula. The characters weren't as well developed, and these were more "weird tales" than horror.
Despite what the title may suggest, Dracula (and no vampires for that matter) does not appear. It is a collection of short stories along with a deleted chapter from the novel Dracula. They were all quite good and sufficiently creepy.
This is a great collection of creepy/bizarre stories. With my ADHD attention span, short stories are great.

The last few mystery collections I read were pretty bad. One in particular I couldn't believe had been published, much less filed under the "mystery" label. Maybe that was due to the fact that they don't have a "disturbing filth" genre yet. So, this was a refreshing read. When in doubt, look to the classics.

Stoker has a great balance of beautiful description and compelling plot. While writ
Norman Howe
These nine tales of terror by the author of "Dracula" show him to be as good a writer as Poe.
I am giving this book 4 Stars. It is more likely a 3.5 but a couple of the short stories were actually good. The narrator was great. He gave the classic English gentleman feel that made you care about the character and put feeling in it. Some short stories were not that good but the ones that were good I enjoyed.
With Dracula, Bram Stoker produced an undisputed masterpiece, arguably the greatest horror novel ever. But sadly, many of his other works are not just inferior but are flat-out poor. There are a few highlights in this collection of short stories, like the often anthologized ghost story "The Judge's House," the less well-known but excellent suspense tale "The Burial of the Rats," and the amusing doppelganger story "The Crooken Sands" (which shows Stoker's humorous side). But most of the other sto ...more
Further Reading

--The Burial of the Rats
--A Dream of Red Hands
--Crooken Sands

--The Lair of the White Worm

Appendix I: Florence Stoker's 'Preface' to 'Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Stories' (1914)
Appendix II: 'The Laidly Worm of Spindleston Heugh' (1890) and 'The Lambton Worm' (1890)
Anu Korpinen
Kolme ensimmäistä novellia olivat ihan jännittäviä. 'Draculan vieras' liittyy mukavan tulkinnallisella tavalla Draculan tarinaan.
'Tuomarin talo' sekä 'Squaw' olivat kokelman parhaimmistoa, ja saivat paikoitellen todella makaabereja sävyjä. Loput novelleista eivät onnistuneet herättämään toivottuja väristyksiä, ja Rottien hautajaiset hyppäsin vallan yli, koska olin jo aikaisemmin lukenut sen antologiasta Haudantakaisia, ja todennut sen pitkäpiimäiseksi.
Jotenkin pitkänsitkeitä muutkin tarinat tu
Quintin Merwe
Nothing like his most famous novel. The stories had too much 'flesh' and a huge lack of 'punchline'. Entertaining non the less, and I liked the older way of writing.
The phraseology and wording itself made this book worthwhile to read, and the interaction between the different characters had an aristocratic flavor to it that I always seem to enjoy.
This book is not for everyone though, and if you are looking for that twilight flare or even the captivation of the Dracula novel, you best give this
I thought Roald Dahl’s tales in Someone Like You were twisted but this macabre collection from Bram Stoker are seriously weird. Delightful to revisit Dracula!
Dracula's Guest readable online 1 2 May 22, 2015 11:11AM
  • Ghost and Horror Stories
  • Ghost Stories
  • The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories
  • The Ascent of Everest
He was born Abraham Stoker in 1847 at 15 Marino Crescent – then as now called "The Crescent" – in Fairview, a coastal suburb of Dublin, Ireland. His parents were Abraham Stoker and the feminist Charlotte Mathilda Blake Thornely. Stoker was the third of seven children. Abraham and Charlotte were members of the Clontarf Church of Ireland parish and attended the parish church (St. John the Baptist lo ...more
More about Bram Stoker...