Start by marking “Head Wounds” as Want to Read:
Head Wounds

Head Wounds (Sam Acquillo Hamptons Mystery #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  17 reviews

Published May 27th 2008 by Random House of Canada, Limited (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Head Wounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head Wounds

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Sam Acquillo can hide in his windswept waterfront cottage all he wants, but the demons of his past are going to find him. Worse, they've teamed up with some pretty nasty demons of the present, including a very determined Chief of Police whose top detective has Sam caught in the crosshairs.

Part-time carpenter, full-time drinker and co-conspirator with an existential mutt named Eddie Van Halen, Sam tries to lead the simple life. But as always, fate intervene
Myrna
Knopf is consistent in his writing. It was entertaining; I will look for the next in the series.
William
A good read, perhaps approaching four stars since Knopf does write well. But overall merit keeps it from getting there.

This semi-hard-boiled story seems pretty formulaic. A wiseguy and decidedly alcoholic protagonist (Sam Acquillo), his incredibly attractive woman, Amanda, tough and soft cops, and a variety (too many, actually -- things are pretty complicated) of plot twists which puts a large number of individuals under suspicion at various points in the book. There are varieties of "badness" a
Dave
I was a bit disappointed that Stefan Rudniki was not the narrator for this audiobook, but the writing and plot were still top notch in my opinion.

I like a protagonist who has a deep sense of schadenfruede, a healthy cynicism and a an inclination to rational problem solving. I enjoy the complex cast of eccentric characters in Sam Acquillo's Hamptons. Worth reading for the window into a dissolute engineer's mind, also for the complex but not implausible plots and the euphony and wit in the way th
Kathleen Hagen
Head wounds, by Chris Knopf, A-minus, narrated by Richard Ferrone, produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com. No. 3 in the Sam Acquillo series.

In this one Sam, retired engineer, and part-time carpenter, is just planning to mind his own business, finish some bookcases, work on some houses for Frank, and spend evenings sitting on the shore by his cottage drinking large tin cups of iced vodka with his mut dog, Eddie Van Halen. But fate intervenes yet again. He and Amanda are in a ba
LJ
HEAD WOUNDS (Amateur Sleuth-Sam Acquillo-Long Island, NY-Cont) – VG
Knopf, Chris – 3rd in series
The Permanent Press, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 978157621650

First Sentence: The evening started innocently enough, Amanda’s outfit notwithstanding.

Ex-boxer, ex-engineer Sam Acuillo, and his neighbor and lover Amanda, have their dinner out interrupted by local builder and bully Robbie Milhouser who wants his crew to work on the houses being remodeled by Amanda.

One of Amanda’s houses burns down making R
Roberta
Permanent Press
"What makes the novel feel fresh is whip-smart, snappy dialogue and intriguing characters, particularly smart women who handily skirt cliché. Knopf is also a dab hand at describing settings and characters. He brings the working-class side of Southampton, where fishermen and mechanics hang out after work, vividly to the page." -The Boston Globe about Knopfs other books.
Pat
i liked this book - especially because it takes place in the Hamptons which I am famliar with. The plot is a little difficult to follow at times which kept me guessing all along. A real "beach rread".
Susan Cassell
Good entertainment. Interesting charaters. Takes place on Long Island. Dislogue is funny. Tough guys have lots of personality and lawers are more than just out of your money. Good take to the beach book.
Ali Bailey
I originally picked up this book at the library for my husband but he wanted me to read it first to see if he would like it. It was an entertaining story, even if it is forgettable.
Denae
1st book read by Chris Knopf, liked his writing, and he does keep you guessing until the very end... nice to not know the ending before... the ending :-). Great summer read...
Betsy Maynard
Good mystery, kept me guessing until the end. This is the 3rd book in the series and my first read from the author. I enjoyed it so I plan to read the first.
Kerrie
2nd book with same characters dont have to read in order ( i didnt) but same great dialogue, smart, mystery.
Melissa
A new to me series that I'm really enjoying.
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2015
Db
Db is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2015
Darby
Darby marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Nancy L. Haney
Nancy L. Haney marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Kelly Messom
Kelly Messom marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Keith
Keith added it
Jun 18, 2015
Redpanda
Redpanda marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • Speak of the Devil
  • Gone 'til November
  • A Cure for Night
  • On the Avenue (The Celebutantes, #1)
  • Skeleton Hill (Peter Diamond, #10)
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • Broken Places (Rachel Goddard Mystery #3)
  • Playing God (Joe Burgess, #1)
  • Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)
  • The Koala of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #2)
  • Magic City (Thorn, #9)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • Mozart's Ghost
  • Queen and Country: The Last Run
  • A Grave in Gaza
  • Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 5)

Sam Acquillo Hamptons Mystery (5 books)
  • The Last Refuge