Start by marking “Head Wounds” as Want to Read:
Head Wounds

Head Wounds (Sam Acquillo Hamptons Mystery #3)

Published May 27th 2008 by Random House of Canada, Limited (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Head Wounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head Wounds

Richard Derus
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Sam Acquillo can hide in his windswept waterfront cottage all he wants, but the demons of his past are going to find him. Worse, they've teamed up with some pretty nasty demons of the present, including a very determined Chief of Police whose top detective has Sam caught in the crosshairs.

Part-time carpenter, full-time drinker and co-conspirator with an existential mutt named Eddie Van Halen, Sam tries to lead the simple life. But as always, fate intervene
Myrna
Mar 11, 2015 Myrna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knopf is consistent in his writing. It was entertaining; I will look for the next in the series.
Kathleen Hagen
Head wounds, by Chris Knopf, A-minus, narrated by Richard Ferrone, produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com. No. 3 in the Sam Acquillo series.

In this one Sam, retired engineer, and part-time carpenter, is just planning to mind his own business, finish some bookcases, work on some houses for Frank, and spend evenings sitting on the shore by his cottage drinking large tin cups of iced vodka with his mut dog, Eddie Van Halen. But fate intervenes yet again. He and Amanda are in a ba
LJ
HEAD WOUNDS (Amateur Sleuth-Sam Acquillo-Long Island, NY-Cont) – VG
Knopf, Chris – 3rd in series
The Permanent Press, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 978157621650

First Sentence: The evening started innocently enough, Amanda’s outfit notwithstanding.

Ex-boxer, ex-engineer Sam Acuillo, and his neighbor and lover Amanda, have their dinner out interrupted by local builder and bully Robbie Milhouser who wants his crew to work on the houses being remodeled by Amanda.

One of Amanda’s houses burns down making R
William
A good read, perhaps approaching four stars since Knopf does write well. But overall merit keeps it from getting there.

This semi-hard-boiled story seems pretty formulaic. A wiseguy and decidedly alcoholic protagonist (Sam Acquillo), his incredibly attractive woman, Amanda, tough and soft cops, and a variety (too many, actually -- things are pretty complicated) of plot twists which puts a large number of individuals under suspicion at various points in the book. There are varieties of "badness" a
Roberta
Dave
Feb 07, 2015 Dave rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-read
I was a bit disappointed that Stefan Rudniki was not the narrator for this audiobook, but the writing and plot were still top notch in my opinion.

I like a protagonist who has a deep sense of schadenfruede, a healthy cynicism and a an inclination to rational problem solving. I enjoy the complex cast of eccentric characters in Sam Acquillo's Hamptons. Worth reading for the window into a dissolute engineer's mind, also for the complex but not implausible plots and the euphony and wit in the way th
Rita Gorra
While I read this book, I found myself so twisted and confused. There were clever and interesting thoughts. Banter was quick and humorous. I was disappointed in that I thought it would be more clear. The plot was muddied and I didn't know what to think. Sam doesn't know his own feelings much less other's towards him. I will read one more, hoping Sam will make more sense.
Permanent Press
"What makes the novel feel fresh is whip-smart, snappy dialogue and intriguing characters, particularly smart women who handily skirt cliché. Knopf is also a dab hand at describing settings and characters. He brings the working-class side of Southampton, where fishermen and mechanics hang out after work, vividly to the page." -The Boston Globe about Knopfs other books.
Susan Cassell
Apr 20, 2013 Susan Cassell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good entertainment. Interesting charaters. Takes place on Long Island. Dislogue is funny. Tough guys have lots of personality and lawers are more than just out of your money. Good take to the beach book.
Pat
Oct 13, 2008 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked this book - especially because it takes place in the Hamptons which I am famliar with. The plot is a little difficult to follow at times which kept me guessing all along. A real "beach rread".
Grey853
Jan 09, 2016 Grey853 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Dennis
Apr 13, 2016 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast read, a fun read....ole boy can write...only criticism is it's a little more complicated than necessary . But I will read another in the series .
Denae
Aug 07, 2012 Denae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-books
1st book read by Chris Knopf, liked his writing, and he does keep you guessing until the very end... nice to not know the ending before... the ending :-). Great summer read...
Ali Bailey
I originally picked up this book at the library for my husband but he wanted me to read it first to see if he would like it. It was an entertaining story, even if it is forgettable.
Kerrie
Nov 24, 2008 Kerrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd book with same characters dont have to read in order ( i didnt) but same great dialogue, smart, mystery.
Betsy Maynard
Aug 24, 2013 Betsy Maynard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery, kept me guessing until the end. This is the 3rd book in the series and my first read from the author. I enjoyed it so I plan to read the first.
Melissa
Mar 20, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
A new to me series that I'm really enjoying.
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Benoit Robillard
Benoit Robillard rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2010
Karin Wollina
Karin Wollina rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2011
G.s. Khalsa
G.s. Khalsa rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2013
Mimi
Mimi rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2012
Trinette Huber
Trinette Huber rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Toby
Toby rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2010
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2011
Laura Garcia
Laura Garcia rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2014
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • Gone 'til November
  • A Cure for Night
  • On the Avenue (The Celebutantes, #1)
  • Speak of the Devil
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)
  • Skeleton Hill (Peter Diamond, #10)
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • The Koala of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #2)
  • Broken Places (Rachel Goddard Mystery #3)
  • Playing God (Joe Burgess, #1)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #10)
  • A Grave in Gaza (Omar Yussef Mystery #2)
  • Magic City (Thorn, #9)
  • Mixed Blood
  • Among Thieves (Scott Finn #3)
  • Mozart's Ghost

Sam Acquillo Hamptons Mystery (7 books)
  • The Last Refuge
  • Two Time
  • Hard Stop
  • Black Swan
  • Cop Job (Sam Acquillo Hamptons Mystery, #6)
  • Back Lash