Start by marking “To Wed in Texas (McLain #3)” as Want to Read:
To Wed in Texas (McLain #3)

To Wed in Texas (McLain #3)

Reverend Daniel McLain desperately needs help in bringing guidance and peace to the mid-19th-century Western town of Jefferson, Tex., and with twin toddlers running him ragged, he can't get focused. He appeals to his late wife's family and expects the assistance of an elderly aunt. Instead, poor family relation and spinster Karlee Whitworth arrives. Although Karlee only ad ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about To Wed in Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Wed in Texas

I know people loved this hero. I think I would have too if it weren’t for the first wife. To be frank, his kids were used so little in the plot line, it all could have gone completely without them, and as such the first wife could have been gone ,gone, gone! And I would have been happy happy HAPPY!

I read the previous books, and with that the first book in which May makes an appearance. She was very blah. Petite, nice, what ever. Blah blah blah. Boooring! She was underdeveloped as a character but
Apr 24, 2009 Christel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any historical romance reader
Recommended to Christel by: author's website
I have wanted this book since I first saw it on Ms. Thomas's website. You see this book is set in my home town of Jefferson Texas. I enjoyed the fact that the author actually used the backdrop and real times of the period that this book was set in. Set after the end of the civil war, Jefferson was a wild riverboat town. I loved the characters that she placed in the Jefferson and the story in itself. One I will always keep on my bookshelf.
Jess the Romanceaholic
Apr 14, 2011 Jess the Romanceaholic rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-read
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: Available Now!
Publisher: Penguin
Imprint: Berkley
Author’s Website:
My Source for This Book:
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 3, Texas Brothers/McLain series
Series Best Read in Order: Works well as a standalone.
Steam Level: Steamy

Yes, I know, I just reviewed the second book in the series a few minutes ago. I couldn’t help myself. The little teaser at the end of To Kis
I finally found the rest of the books in this series and instead of starting with book 1 I continued where I left off- at book 3 because Daniel intrigued me in book 2. This was a classic Jodi Thomas western! (not that I've read a bunch lol)

The heroine made the story for me here, which is surprising because I thought that Daniel would be super angsty and super brooding and I would love him, but it felt too superficial. I wasn't too keyed into his emotions, his struggles seemed half-a$$ed so I did
Jan 01, 2013 Sandra rated it really liked it
:::sigh::: I do love a marriage-of-convenience set in the old west.... Even better when the hero is a hot (widowed) reverend and the heroine is a kind, loving orphaned family outcast, not to mention a virgin with more than her fair share of womanly bosom LOL.... This book has it all.
May 09, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
Great addition to the series! I just loved Karlee. She was so spunky and adorable, she just made the whole story. The book I am most looking forward to is Wolf's. He is the most interesting character and has played major roles in each of the books. I enjoy how all the brothers show up in all the books so you get to see how their lives are moving on after reading their stories.
The third book in the Texas Brothers series by Jodi Thomas. A sweet touching story of a plain jane finding her place in the world. Rev. Daniel McLain needs help desperately and gets it in the form of a poor relative of his late wife, Karlee Whitworth. Things are awkward at first but Daniel soon finds he needs Karlee as much as his children do.
Sep 01, 2016 Michele rated it it was amazing
Usually I don't start a series in the middle. I loved Daniel and Karlee's story. One of the special gifts Thomas brings to writing is the ability to use humor without losing the dignity and decency of her characters.
Karlee Whitworth arrived in a trunk at Daniel McLean's residence. Her aunts had shipped her to Daniel in a trunk because they didn't want her anymore. Karlee was first cousin to Daniel's first wife, May, who had passed away giving birth to their twin girls. Karlee had been passed around to numerous relatives in her life. She was now considered old enough to be a spinster and had been sent to Daniel to help him with the girls. She had been told all her life that no one would ever want her. She wa ...more
Sep 13, 2016 Marjorie rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Jodi Thomas writes one of the best romance stories with To Wed in Texas. You have a widower with twins who is determined to never love again. You have the young female relative who has never been loved. She has been sent to help him raise the twins. Soon she has wormed her way into the fabric of the family and his heart is lost.

Great story.
Apr 28, 2016 Lorka rated it did not like it
Ew. This book was so confusing to follow. It started off with the heroine being an unwanted orphan and is described as being basically really weird, socially unusual, etc and it made me embarrassed for her. Especially when she pops out of the trunk that she was hiding in, and runs off screaming "Clear the deck!" as she runs out the front door to go pee. (that was her first time meeting the hero also). It was ridiculous and I was embarrassed for her and that made me instantly dislike her characte ...more
Apr 12, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the McLain brother's story. Daniel was the quite one, the preacher, the one who lost his wife in childbirth, the wife he had loved since he as a little boy. Now he had twin girls that he would not even name and a loss that was bottomless. He requested an elderly aunt to come to this lawless town to help him raise his girls but instead he got Karlee, a red headed bundle of contradiction. Read about their journey through stolen guns, Yankees and Rebs still fighting long a ...more
Mar 17, 2012 Marcella rated it really liked it
I liked this book because this whole series has such a rich story line you can not just tell it in one book
Dec 11, 2014 Krissie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Nana Kitteh
Jul 01, 2013 Nana Kitteh rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
A wild woman with little common sense enters a preacher and his young twin daughters' lives. She stumbles her way through and breaks his proper strict lifestyle.
Debbie Turner
Jun 12, 2014 Debbie Turner rated it it was amazing
I really liked it. So far, I think she is a very good author. These books are in the 1800s and I like westerns like that. Well worth the time.
Cheryl Tollestrup
Sep 15, 2012 Cheryl Tollestrup rated it it was amazing
I like a good western romance and Jodi Thomas delivers the goods! She is becoming one of my favorite authors for this genre!
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Joan Miers Snyder
Joan Miers Snyder rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Lise Lotte
Lise Lotte rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Steve Postlewaite
Steve Postlewaite rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Benny Ramsey
Benny Ramsey rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Virginia rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Debbie Payne
Debbie Payne rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2012
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2008
Rosheen rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Michelle Mater
Michelle Mater rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Sma_al7lm rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Marsha Grady
Marsha Grady rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Doris Murphy
Doris Murphy rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2014
  • Texas Splendor (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • Allie's Moon
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • Cold Night, Warm Stranger
  • Lonewolf's Woman (Wild Hearts, #3)
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, 1)
  • The Tenderfoot Bride
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Courting Miss Hattie
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • Romancing Olive
  • Cherish
I'm a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author, wife, mother, in-law, grandmother, sister, friend, and owner of one fat cat.
More about Jodi Thomas...

McLain (5 books)
  • The Texan's Touch (McLain, #1)
  • To Kiss a Texan (McLain, #2)
  • Twilight in Texas (McLain #4)
  • The Texan's Dream (McLain, #5)