Start by marking “Firefly: Still Flying: A Celebration of Joss Whedon's Acclaimed TV Series” as Want to Read:
Firefly: Still Flying: A Celebration of Joss Whedon's Acclaimed TV Series

Firefly: Still Flying: A Celebration of Joss Whedon's Acclaimed TV Series

NEW STORIES. UNSEEN PHOTOS. SHINY

“We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.”

Since its short-lived appearance on TV in 2002, Joss Whedon’s Firefly has indeed done the impossible. It’s sold over a half a million copies on DVD, spawned the hit movie Serenity, and most remarkably, inspired a loyal fan following — the Browncoats — whose numbers are still growing t
Published May 25th 2010 by Titan Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Firefly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefly

Arielle Walker
Jul 14, 2014 Arielle Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, art, visual
This almost makes up for all the heartbreak. (Almost)
Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)
Jul 17, 2010 Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Browncoats, non-Browncoats, anyone who'll listen
Shelves: media-tie-in
Shiny! What else can one say about a book devoted to even more trivia and behind-the-scenes info revolving around a show which has carved a permanent niche into the hearts of many, myself included. Besides the wealth of new photos and interviews, there are also four new pieces of fiction by Ben Edlund, Jane Espenson, Brett Matthews, and Jose Molina. For fans of Firefly and the follow-up movie Serenity, the book is a welcome addition to the oeuvre, allowing us to live vicariously through the memo ...more
Terry
Jul 07, 2010 Terry rated it really liked it
I came to this for the new fiction and was a little disappointed that there were only three stories and a Young Jayne beginning reader spread by Ben Edlund. However the stories are good (and poignant), if brief.

WHAT HOLDS US DOWN by Jane Espenson
is the best of the lot, featuring Wash and Kaylee doing what they do best.

CRYSTAL by Brett Matthews
focuses on River Tam and her connection to the crew.

TAKE THE SKY by Jose Molina
shows us Mal at 70.

Between the stories are cast interviews, articles on pro
Dan
Jun 04, 2010 Dan rated it liked it
For fans of the cult classic and gone-too-soon television show. Gorgeous book created by people who clearly love the material, this book is bittersweet, and sort of feels like an "odds and sods" compilation, like there's nothing left now. Which, honestly, it's amazing they scraped enough material for this, the third such companion to a series that had only 14 episodes and has thrived on DVD more than on the air. I also bought this book for the new fiction, especially Jane Espenson's story, which ...more
Lori
May 20, 2010 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014december
There are some interesting tidbits and anecdotes in this roundup of Firefly pieces. Most of the content from actors is cribbed from other places -- quotes from cons and web interviews and the like. Some good quotes, sure, but mostly recycled info.

The best bits are those you can't get from other places. A look at how all of the various ships were made. Stunts were done. Costumes and props were created. Some legit universe fiction from former script writers (including a tale of Mal at 70+ that jus
Deirdre
Jul 18, 2012 Deirdre rated it really liked it
At first glance this is a rather cool book with a lot of details, and there are a few short stories that appear to be original, but much of the material is speculative - "apparently made from bashed model kit parts" (p 30) is a typical part of an overview of some of the props - and the interviews are collected portions of interviews from several sources, notably conventions and magazine interviews, so while I enjoyed it, it's not going to be added to my collection, it felt like a website that ha ...more
Mandy
Jun 27, 2010 Mandy rated it it was amazing
I won this book at Charlotte, NC's Can't Stop The Serenity event!

As I am a Browncoat, I loved this book. I thought it was really shiny how this book was laid out. I enjoyed reading the quotes from the actors on their characters, along with all the extra information about parts of the show.

The 3 new stories were really good too, though the last one was really sad.

All in all, I'd recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of 'Firefly' and 'Serenity'!
Ashley
A shiny collection of pictures, stories from the set (like Fillion's infamous stuffed monkey prank), interview tidbits, convention appearances, and four brand new stories from Jane Espenson, Jose Molina, Brett Matthews, and a two page illustrated story by Ben Edlund. The book is put together beautifully with glossy pages and a loving hand, but it made me sad about Firefly all over again, gorramit.

(Just goes to show that when you really love something, you never get over losing it.)
Kylara Jensen
Feb 01, 2014 Kylara Jensen rated it really liked it
Just a super-cute, fun nostalgic book. It's full of beautiful pictures and tidbits of interviews and little factoids.

It just made me really want to rewatch Firefly and reminded me how much I love that show.

There were also a few new works of fiction- little stories from the writers of the show. Those were awesome.

Overall I loved this cute little book and wouldn't mind owning a copy of it myself.
Cathrine Bonham
Jan 27, 2013 Cathrine Bonham rated it it was amazing
Shiny! Literally be careful where you read this the glare off the glossy pages can blind you.
But seriously this book is an exciting behind the scenes look into one of the best TV shows ever.

I would talk more about it but if you are a fan of Firefly then you already know you want it and if you are not a fan of Firefly you just wouldn't get it.
Betsy
Feb 07, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
I've become obsessed with all things Firefly, and this book does not disappoint. The diagrams of the ships are cool, but would have loved to have better pictures of Inara's gorgeous wardrobe. More original stories should have been included. The book is from the library, and some pages are falling out.
Andrea
Nov 07, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Firefly fans
Recommended to Andrea by: Bubonicon
I bought this for the short stories, which are pretty good, but they probably only comprise 1/20 of the book. Most of it is interviews with people who worked on the show, articles about props and locations, etc., which is also interesting, but not really what I was hoping for. Still, it was fun to revisit the show again and remember why it was so good. :-)
Carrie
May 06, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
The new original stories were interesting, but I must admit I wasn't fond of the last one. It made me sad. Anyway, the other pages are a treasure of information and beautiful pictures. I love the interviews with cast and crew, as well. Definitely worth owning for any Firefly fan.
Malia
Jun 01, 2010 Malia rated it liked it
Firefly has been my fave show for years but this book doesn't compare to the Firefly Official Companion. It's got nice photos and some funny quotes and interesting facts on costume and sets but I wouldn't recommend it over the Official Visual Companions.
Schnaucl
Jun 01, 2010 Schnaucl rated it really liked it
There are some great behind the scenes tidbits. The fic was well written but also very depressing. It's interesting to think about the consequences for being the person to reveal the truth behind the Reavers.
Jacey
Jun 11, 2015 Jacey rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A book of firefly trivia, nicely produced with excellent illustrations and the added advantage of four new pieces of short fiction by Ben Edlund, Jane Espenson, Brett Matthews, and Jose Molina. It's for fans, but that's OK. Shiny, in fact.
Jonathan
May 25, 2010 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Firefly fans.
Some good stuff in here, fair amount of interesting behind-the-scenes stuff, plus some new stories that aren't half-bad. Slightly disappointed that the cast quotes mostly were old interviews but that's to be expected. Inclusion of Browncoats: Redemption has me a bit more interested in that though.
Danni Foley
May 29, 2012 Danni Foley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Definitely a fascinating behind the scenes view of my favorite show! Another must read for any browncoat!
Michaux Dempster
May 26, 2013 Michaux Dempster rated it it was amazing
Former student and TA Jack Payne lent me his prized collection of this last summer--Greg and I read them all in a month. So shiny!
Ben
Jan 07, 2014 Ben rated it it was amazing
Worth it just for the three short stories about Kaylee/Wash, River, and Mal. Bonus for all the fun geeky stuff in between the stories.
Sophie
Jan 02, 2012 Sophie rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, non-fiction, film, 2014
Pick this up for the short blurbs of new fiction (exclusive content!). The rest was take it or leave for me, especially as most of the rest rehashes interviews and such found elsewhere.
Nov 27, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A great collection of interviews with the actors, facts and trivia about the show, and best of all, fantastic short stories - including one post-Serenity.
Tammy
Dec 07, 2010 Tammy rated it it was amazing
I was surprised to find a few short stories in the book. Well worth reading. Sure miss the series :/
Heather
Feb 02, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Some great photos and interviews of the cast and crew. I enjoyed the few short stories included as well.
Joy Anne Baker
Joy Anne Baker rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
Charles Douglas
Charles Douglas rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2014
William Roberts
William Roberts rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Tena Stetler
Tena Stetler rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
SharlzG
SharlzG rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
May 09, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Books like Firefly 1 8 Feb 08, 2013 03:25PM
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • Serenity
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #6
  • Memories of the Future - Volume 1
  • Fringe Science: Parallel Universes, White Tulips, and Mad Scientists
  • Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.4)
  • Neptune Noir: Unauthorized Investigations into Veronica Mars
  • The Existential Joss Whedon: Evil and Human Freedom in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly" and "Serenity"
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • Farscape Vol. 1: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning
  • The Other Half (Serenity, #2.2)
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • Star Trek: U.S.S. Enterprise Haynes Manual
  • Doctor Who: Free Comic Book Day
  • Joss Whedon: The Genius Behind Buffy
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

“Okay, uh, I'm lost. I'm angry. And I'm armed.” 43 likes