Start by marking “Spilled Milk: Breastfeeding Adventures and Advice from Less-Than Perfect Moms” as Want to Read:
Spilled Milk: Breastfeeding Adventures and Advice from Less-Than Perfect Moms

Spilled Milk: Breastfeeding Adventures and Advice from Less-Than Perfect Moms

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Wildly funny tales and practical wisdom from the author's and other women's breastfeeding experiences-to reassure readers that there is no one way to be a great breastfeeder

In this perfect antidote to "lactivist" propaganda, award-winning writer Andy Steiner weaves together hysterical anecdotes and tips from the trenches to offer comfort and realistic advice to new nursing
Published August 20th 2005 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Spilled Milk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spilled Milk

Rachel
Not that helpful. Mostly just about making you feel better about choices you already made
Deb
Breastfeeding is not "100% natural and comfortable" like all the propaganda says its supposed to be. And women don't really talk about how difficult and potentially painful, breastfeeding can be. This book tells the varied stories of many breastfeeding mamas and the stories of mamas who wanted to breastfeed but couldn't. I found it reassuring to hear that my experiences are well within the norm, and I recommend this to other women who are pregnant and expect to breastfeed and want to hear the go ...more
Rebecca
Another one of those nursing books. I enjoyed the varied stories/experiences in this book, but wouldn't recommend it if you aren't into that sort of book. The author presented a lot of people's experiences, demonstrating the wide variance of "normal". The aim was to present an honest view -- good and bad -- instead of the sugar coating view that breastfeeding ought to be a natural, easy experience. She did a good job doing so.
Jess
a welcome addition to the collection of advice books on this topic. filled with real-life stories and experiences, this would be a good companion read along with some of the more information-heavy, classic books on breastfeeding. i did feel like the approach the author took in telling a wide variety of experiences came across as a bit scattered at times.
Carrie
Yes, I read these books now...or at least this one. I found some useful advice, though the parts about going back to work only scared me and I hope it isn't as hard as it was made out to be. And I got to skim over anecdotes/problems not related to me. Still, it was way more useful than so many of the touchy/feely books on the subject.
Michelle
It's great because it doesn't make mamas feel guilty about the choices they make- it realizes that mom's make the best choices for them and their babies at that time and then leaves you feeling empowered about that choice. Not all baby books tend to do that.
Ann-Marie
Really loved this. It was what I needed during those first few painfully, painful weeks of nursing. I don't recommend it unless your interested in nursing, but it was a fascinating read.
April
Great guide for me just before and right after Lou was born. Not a how to so much as emotional support with the humor and boob pride that I needed at the time.
Cindy
Jan 12, 2008 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mothers, pregnant women
THis book is a MUST read for all 1st time expecting mothers who are planning to breast feed. Great info & entertaining!
Janet
Since this book was written by my little sister who is a wonderful writer - I have to say it is very well written.
Lynne
This was recommended by a friend. It was funny and supportive for breastfeeding moms. Enjoyable!
Ashley
Ashley added it
May 20, 2014
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Erin
Erin added it
Aug 12, 2013
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Mrs. Lawler
Mrs. Lawler marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Leahjoypro
Leahjoypro marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2012
April Ziegler
April Ziegler marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
How to Survive: The Extraordinary Resilience of Ordinary People Girl Power on the Playing Field: A Book about Girls, Their Goals, and Their Struggles Girl Power on the Playing Field: A Book about Girls, Their Goals and Their Struggles Girl Power on the Playing Field: A Book about Girls Their Goals and Their Struggles A Sporting Chance: Sports and Gender