Start by marking “Spilled Milk: Breastfeeding Adventures and Advice from Less-Than Perfect Moms” as Want to Read:
Spilled Milk: Breastfeeding Adventures and Advice from Less-Than Perfect Moms

Spilled Milk: Breastfeeding Adventures and Advice from Less-Than Perfect Moms

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Wildly funny tales and practical wisdom from the author's and other women's breastfeeding experiences-to reassure readers that there is no one way to be a great breastfeeder

In this perfect antidote to "lactivist" propaganda, award-winning writer Andy Steiner weaves together hysterical anecdotes and tips from the trenches to offer comfort and realistic advice to new nursing
Published August 20th 2005 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Spilled Milk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spilled Milk

Rachel
Mar 08, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: medical, parenting
Not that helpful. Mostly just about making you feel better about choices you already made
Deb
Mar 26, 2009 Deb rated it liked it
Breastfeeding is not "100% natural and comfortable" like all the propaganda says its supposed to be. And women don't really talk about how difficult and potentially painful, breastfeeding can be. This book tells the varied stories of many breastfeeding mamas and the stories of mamas who wanted to breastfeed but couldn't. I found it reassuring to hear that my experiences are well within the norm, and I recommend this to other women who are pregnant and expect to breastfeed and want to hear the go ...more
Rebecca
Sep 16, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Another one of those nursing books. I enjoyed the varied stories/experiences in this book, but wouldn't recommend it if you aren't into that sort of book. The author presented a lot of people's experiences, demonstrating the wide variance of "normal". The aim was to present an honest view -- good and bad -- instead of the sugar coating view that breastfeeding ought to be a natural, easy experience. She did a good job doing so.
Jess
Mar 28, 2010 Jess rated it liked it
a welcome addition to the collection of advice books on this topic. filled with real-life stories and experiences, this would be a good companion read along with some of the more information-heavy, classic books on breastfeeding. i did feel like the approach the author took in telling a wide variety of experiences came across as a bit scattered at times.
Carrie
Jun 06, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
Yes, I read these books now...or at least this one. I found some useful advice, though the parts about going back to work only scared me and I hope it isn't as hard as it was made out to be. And I got to skim over anecdotes/problems not related to me. Still, it was way more useful than so many of the touchy/feely books on the subject.
Michelle
Jan 12, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
It's great because it doesn't make mamas feel guilty about the choices they make- it realizes that mom's make the best choices for them and their babies at that time and then leaves you feeling empowered about that choice. Not all baby books tend to do that.
Ann-Marie
Feb 02, 2009 Ann-Marie rated it really liked it
Really loved this. It was what I needed during those first few painfully, painful weeks of nursing. I don't recommend it unless your interested in nursing, but it was a fascinating read.
April
Feb 19, 2009 April rated it really liked it
Great guide for me just before and right after Lou was born. Not a how to so much as emotional support with the humor and boob pride that I needed at the time.
Cindy
Jan 12, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mothers, pregnant women
THis book is a MUST read for all 1st time expecting mothers who are planning to breast feed. Great info & entertaining!
Janet
Mar 28, 2009 Janet rated it it was amazing
Since this book was written by my little sister who is a wonderful writer - I have to say it is very well written.
Lynne
Sep 10, 2008 Lynne rated it really liked it
This was recommended by a friend. It was funny and supportive for breastfeeding moms. Enjoyable!
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Chelsea Brohaugh
Chelsea Brohaugh marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Jessica Gallo
Jessica Gallo rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Ashley
Ashley added it
May 20, 2014
Michele Segroves
Michele Segroves rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2014
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Erin
Erin added it
Aug 12, 2013
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Angela Horn
Angela Horn rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Mrs. Lawler
Mrs. Lawler marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Krissie Brown
Krissie Brown rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2012