Bully Boy: The Truth About Theodore Roosevelt's Legacy

Bully Boy: The Truth About Theodore Roosevelt's Legacy

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews
What Hath TR Wrought?

“I don’t think that any harm comes from the concentration of power in one man’s hands.” —Theodore Roosevelt

The notion that Theodore Roosevelt was one of America’s greatest presidents is literally carved in stone—right up there on Mount Rushmore. But as historian Jim Powell shows in the refreshingly original Bully Boy, Roosevelt’s toothy grin, outsized...more
Published August 8th 2006 by Crown Forum (first published 2006)

Regular Joe
After reading Jim Powell's book FDR's Folly, I wasn't sure I wanted to follow that one by reading Bully Boy, Powell's critique of Theodore Roosevelt's political life. So, I thought I'd give my brain a rest and just check it out of the library and do a mild overview. Unfortunately, you can't read a Powell book like that, so after reading just the introduction, I was hooked.

Powell's view point in Bully Boy is similar to that in FDR's Folly, but a little less detailed. He provides a strong chronolo...more
Shane Westfall
At a young age, my mother instilled in me the value of finishing what I start. This is one volume that makes me regret not adding that to the long list of her values that I rejected somewhere along the way! I jumped right into this one, and it took me forever to get around to finishing it. Yes, it is that bad.

I love revisionist history, even when I disagree with the author's thesis. The problem being Powell´s thesis seems to be as simple as ¨Hey, I dislike Teddy.¨ He attacks from the left, he at...more
Manny
Decided to read this book after reading "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt which did an amazing job showing the great "man" Roosevelt was. However, "Bully Boy" gives you the other side of Roosevelt; Roosevelt the politician. Powell goes to great lengths to point out where Roosevelt the man and Roosevelt the politician differ.

Roosevelt, although a tremendous personage in his personal life, his war mongering antics are still being felt today. His need to usurp the Con...more
Doug Hauser
I have read many books about Teddy all of which loved Teddy. This is the first book that really gives another side to Teddy and his policies.He was really the first of the "Progressives" in the line of Woodrow Wilson, FDR, LBJ, and of course our present illustrious leader.
Suzie Quint
A real eye-opener about who Teddy Roosevelt was and how he changed to course of America. His presidency was probably the first of the modern elitists and set our feet on the path of socialism. If you enjoy history, Powell is as clear-eyed as history gets.
Michelle
Informative, but a little dull in some areas. How none of this ever made it into our history books is a mystery to me.
Craig J.
Bully Boy: The Truth About Theodore Roosevelt's Legacy by Jim Powell (2006)
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Osmar Bernardes júnior
Osmar Bernardes júnior marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Captain
Captain marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Anna Palubecki
Anna Palubecki marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Michael Petrovich
Michael Petrovich marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Theresa Romano-ross
Theresa Romano-ross marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Erik Hosa
Erik Hosa is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2013
Trampas Jones
Trampas Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
R. Geivett
R. Geivett is currently reading it
May 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Breaking of Eggs FDR's Folly: How Roosevelt and His New Deal Prolonged the Great Depression Wilson's War: How Woodrow Wilson's Great Blunder Led to Hitler, Lenin, Stalin, and World War II Deconstruction For Beginners Eastern Philosophy For Beginners