Start by marking “Whatever Happened to Daddy's Little Girl?: The Impact of Fatherlessness on Black Women” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
What happens to a little girl who grows up without a father? Can she ever feel truly loved and fully alive? Does she ever heal—or is she doomed to live a wounded, fragmented life and to pass her wounds down to her own children? Fatherlessness afflicts nearly half the households in America, and it has reached epidemic proportions in the African-American community, with espe ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by One World/Ballantine (first published 2000)

Nikki
Nov 10, 2010 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped me re-define my relationships and the person I am. There are many things I thought I had healed only to find out that the wounds are still wide open and I still have a long road ahead of me. The abandonment issue is real and needs to be dealt with, especially when it comes abreast in the most intimate moments of our relationships. I have recommended this book time and time again to other women.
Talia
Sep 15, 2008 Talia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has broken me down in many places. There are many things I thought I had healed only to find out that the wounds have been weakly stitched. The abandonment issue is real and something to be dealt with, especially when it comes creeping up in the most intimate moments of our relationships. I am glad that I now have the means to articulate the struggles and fears that I've encountered throughout the years.
Now, all I ask for, are viable solutions to the "problem" of being without a fathe
Yolanda
Oct 29, 2013 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book twice and I am going to keep reading it. This book keeps me aware of the issues I deal with on a daily basis. Being abandoned and growing up without my father has had a profound effect on my life. I never knew how to express it but the author certainly did. I found myself crying because she knew exactly how I was feeling.
Jo
Bought in DC 2000 (I think) and it was the title really that got me. But it is a biography that is masquerading as a cultural science book. Although she does bring up some really good observations, it is a shame that they were not backed up with stats or numbers. That's it, it read like a masters degree final project.
Marilyn Diamond
I have to read this book in the bathtub...It kicks me in my whole soul but I walk through it...
Marvah
Marvah marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Memory
Memory marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Amir Swaleh
Amir Swaleh marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Carline Stephens
Carline Stephens marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Islam Alslami
Islam Alslami marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Tyra
Tyra marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Misara
Misara marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Katrise
Katrise rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
EK
EK marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Sharla Williams
Sharla Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Aramis
Aramis marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Thea Marquetta
Thea Marquetta marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Janai
Janai marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Klara
Klara rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Sherice
Sherice rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
CinnatoastPovie Williams
CinnatoastPovie Williams is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2016
Sybil Thomas
Sybil Thomas marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016