Start by marking “The Lesson of Her Death” as Want to Read:
The Lesson of Her Death

The Lesson of Her Death

3.56  ·  Rating Details ·  1,250 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Bill Corde looks down at the face of the murdered girl and sees the horror of sudden death. He cannot know, as he stands there at the trampled, muddy scene beside the college girl’s corpse, that his own life is about to slip into terror. He cannot know that everything he holds precious is about to shatter before his eyes. He cannot know that his career–and his family–are ...more
Published March 1st 1994 by Crimeline (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Lesson of Her Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lesson of Her Death

Dodol Surodol
Nov 29, 2011 Dodol Surodol rated it liked it
An okay book, if lacking some of Deaver's qualities in the other books. Too many twists and turns, as if the author had a bet with a friend or something.

It starts a little slow and picks up the pace about two third in. A local deputy sheriff larger than the small town he lives in, Bill Corde picks up a co-ed murder case and soon finds himself entangled in politics and personal issues. With a daughter plowing through learning difficulties, a son battling inner demons, and a wife struggling to sta
Richard Claypool
Oct 12, 2012 Richard Claypool rated it did not like it
I won't write a full review, because this book doesn't seserve such treatment.

The main grips about this book was: it's lenth, the stereotpical brilliant killer, and uneven writing. Let's not forget that this was one of his earlie works, came right around Silence of the Lambs was being a movie craze, and that the trope had not saturated as a total trope like it has today. Well, no, it hasn't .. those books are still being churned out by the metric ton,.

smacks myself, this is a book review, and
Alexis
Sep 10, 2012 Alexis rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime
The Lesson of Her Death is one of very few novels in this genre that I've been unable to finish. The plot was going nowhere fast, which is why I rated it the way I did. The characters are all very flat and have no personality.
Peter Pike
Sep 23, 2016 Peter Pike rated it it was amazing
Deaver almost always has the best twists in novels. He is great at making you certain one character is the bad guy only to find out he's not. "The Lesson of Her Death" is no different. If you like suspense, mystery, or thrillers, this book has it all.
Jerry
Apr 10, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it
Well before Deaver became hugely popular with his now reknown Lincoln Rhyme series, he published two rather obscure three-book series (featuring an odd, inquisitive woman named Rune; and a movie company location scout named John Pellam) as well as a few standalone thrillers, some published under the pseudonym William Jeffries. “Lesson”, a 1993 novel, is indeed an early non-series thriller, mostly a police procedural featuring leading man detective Bill Corde. A co-ed from a fancy local private ...more
Steve
Aug 14, 2015 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Low 3. Deaver offers his typically inventive plot littered with a series of twists and false starts, and a pulsating climax. The problem is that this novel does not maintain the pace and intrigue of his better works. Deputy sheriff Bill Corde has to investigate the murder of a young college student in the small mid-western town of New Lebanon, but has his investigation hampered by those with ulterior motives. Chief among these are the local sheriff, determined to uncover a cult killing, which ...more
Melissa
Mar 07, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I'm still reading this one. I am entertained by Jeffrey Deaver but this one is a bit difficult for me. The subject matter is about college co-eds being raped and murdered, the language is a little more harsh than Deaver usually writes, and I am not really pleased with how many characters there are in the book and how he jumps from one persons mind to another's so often. I keep having to say - "who is this person that is talking? Is that the professor or the grad student or the dean or an officer ...more
Diana H.
Nov 15, 2013 Diana H. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This kind of twisted tale is not generally what I read. However, Deaver tells the story so well that I may try another of his books just to see if I like them or not.

Bill Corde use to be a big-city cop, but now he is a detective in a mid-western sheriff’s office. He’s not what you would call a stand out performer, but he gets the job done, methodically.

Bill is also a typical dad. He helps his learning challenged daughter with her homework and tries to teach her what she can’t learn. Her learning
Manugw
Jun 15, 2011 Manugw rated it really liked it
DEAVER AT HIS BEST

A co -ed girl is found dead in the woods and then unfolds a complex plot, with many situations and conflicting interests. Rich with a delicate prose, this book features my favorite Deaver asset, his neat language to convey emotions and describe settings as well as his passion to describe all the events of the story with colorful and vibrant details The tale is gripping because one cannot anticipate any development and if one does, run the high risk of being dead wrong. (it hap
Marti
Sep 06, 2010 Marti rated it liked it
517 pages are a lot of book, and it is hard to maintain the intensity of the story with all of that. The characters in this novel by Jeffery Wilds Deaver are not always what they seem. There are at first, two murdered college girls. There are several men who have been intimate with one or more. The main focus is on Bill Corde and his family--a usually faithful wife, athletic but brooding son, and a daughter who may be learning deficient. Not everyone can be trusted to do what he or she is ...more
Antonella
Di sicuro non è il miglior libro di J.D.!
Per più della metà del volume sono la lentezza e la noia a farla da padrone.
Si comincia a "muovere" qualcosa solo all'inizio della seconda metà, per poi arrivare nell'ultimo quarto ad un ritmo un po' più serrato... e a riconoscere il vero Deaver.
Romanzo inusuale, tra i primi da lui scritti, tra gli ultimi pubblicati in Italia. Forse è questo che fa la differenza. So solo che J. D. ci ha abituati ad altri ritmi!
Tutto sommato, alla fin fine, si fa leggere
Sadiq Shah Mohamad
Jun 29, 2011 Sadiq Shah Mohamad rated it it was amazing
Again, Deaver delivers. Extremely well written. The characters, plot, sub plots are completely in sync. Everything in the book is very well connected and the end result is a very absorbing book which u have to complete once u start. As usual Deaver completely foxed me with the ending and left me feeling “O, of course! I did not see that coming”.
This is one of the books that, after finishing it, u end up thinking about the people in the book and “what next” for them.
I highly recommend this book.
Hart Johnson
Dec 08, 2010 Hart Johnson rated it it was ok
This book had some good twists and turns, but I didn't like the characters (or at least VERY few)--it's hard to read an MC who alternates between clueless and a jerk. He redeems himself a little, but not enough. The killer, too, also doesn't make much sense--the motive isn't adequate and Deaver's understanding of women (at least as of 1993) seems to fluctuate between fantasy and mysogeny.

I have heard good enough stuff about later books that I think this may just be an early foible, but if you wa
Afsana
Feb 12, 2012 Afsana rated it it was ok
This was a slow book mostly (uptil the last 150-200 pages) and if it wasn't a jd book would have stopped

but the last bit the book seemed to pick up pace and returned to form. There was movement the characters seemed to be heading somewhere and plodding a long

This was regarding the death of a student from a rich school who had many secrets which could effect a lot of people and what really surprised me was the actual killer and the lack of prior mentions and then his killing spree seemed a bit un
Megan
Mar 06, 2008 Megan rated it it was ok
I love this authors other books- and I am some what compulsive about reading everything by an author I like. This book, and others like it are a reason not to do that. This was an early book, and not as popular as the Lincoln Rhyme series and spin off. The story was fairly dull considering it was about sex, betrayal, murder, and threats to the main character's children. There were several threads that had no conclusion, and the plot twists fairly unshocking and unsatisfying.
Jerry
One of his earlier novels. I am a fan of Jeffery Deaver, and found this to be quite a page turner, though it suffers from too many twists and false leads in the last third of the book. By the end, it was getting to be annoying, hence three vice four stars. Of note, no one really comes out looking very good in the end.. college professors and administrators, female coeds, law enforcement, mothers, dads are all painted in a pretty negative light.
Hazard
Mar 07, 2011 Hazard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, english
Das Buch liest sich zuweilen sehr zäh, gerade im mittleren Teil wird seitenlang Belangloses erzählt. Dem Plot um Bill Cordes Familie fehlt die Tiefe der Charaktere. Deaver konnte sich wohl nicht entscheiden, ob er einen Thriller oder ein Familiendrama schreiben wollte also mischte er beides, ohne dass dies für einen der beiden Handlungsstränge nötig gewesen wäre. Fazit: Nichts Halbes und nichts Ganzes, eines der schwächeren Bücher Deavers.
Robert Colquhoun
May 14, 2016 Robert Colquhoun rated it liked it
A bit much. Played out as though Deaver wanted it to be as long as possible, but then got tired of writing and wrapped it up in a flourish.
So many twists and turns, it became almost silly.
The fact that they couldn't track down a picture of the killer (I'll leave it at that, so as not to spoil it) was annoyingly ridiculous.
Cindy
May 02, 2012 Cindy rated it it was ok

This was an okay book but I read his Lincoln Rhyme books first and found them to be much more interesting with more complex characters. I really couldn't come to care about the main characters and found the situation between them at the end to be unsatisfying yet strangely not to matter because I really didn't care about them that much.
Cyn (RaeWhit)
Apr 23, 2012 Cyn (RaeWhit) rated it it was amazing
This wasn't a Lincoln Rhyme book, but it was hugely suspenseful, had a great plot and several subplots. It's always nice to be challenged by a mystery, i.e., have a hard time putting your finger on the villain. One of the best portrayals in this book was the detective's 10 year old daughter and her struggle with learning disabilities.
Lobelifinto
Jan 29, 2013 Lobelifinto rated it it was amazing
I thought wrong. so unexpectable. half-way through i was absolutely sure who was the villain but in the end, Deaver drove you astray exactly where he wanted you to be. *sigh. for once, i want to be right. he. he.
Jill
Jun 24, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing
As per usual, Deaver never disappoints. I thought I had it all figured out for close to 100 pages and he had me thinking I was right all they way up to the last 30 or so. A great page turner for anyone who loves crime thrillers, just like all his other works.
Megan
Aug 06, 2014 Megan rated it it was ok
Jeffery Deaver is my all time favorite author but this book was not his best. I was bored and the typical twist wasn't as exciting as all the others. I'm disappointed because I love all his other books but this was not up to his normal standard.
Darcy
Feb 02, 2010 Darcy rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this book, which surprised me as I love the Lincoln Rhyme and Kathryn Dance ones. I couldn't connect to any of the characters and found that I didn't care who the killer was. In the end I gave up the book, just not for me.
Jill
Jan 17, 2011 Jill rated it it was ok
Overall, it was an okay book. But the interesting thing about this book was that you can see the beginning signs of his trademark style of writing. The plot of the this book was a little on the slow side and there was just a little too much going on.
Krista
May 31, 2014 Krista rated it liked it
This book puts you through the wringer with many false leads and plot twists. I like that in a book, though it's hard to enjoy the catharsis when there is so much collateral damage on the path to catching the killer.
Taracuda
May 06, 2012 Taracuda rated it it was ok
Mainrun
Feb 03, 2013 Mainrun rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
After reading "Roadside Crosses" I went to the library and looked up other books the library had by Jeffery Deaver. This was the earliest book they had though I think there are earlier books by this author. I don't think "The Lesson..." was as good as
Wilma Hashii
Feb 02, 2013 Wilma Hashii rated it it was ok
This book was often hard to follow. One paragraph would be about one event and the next about something else.
Ricardo
Jul 23, 2015 Ricardo rated it liked it
Good book. It was a bit slow at the beginning but once it gathered speed it was a very enjoyable read
Goodreads Librari...: Item has ISBN but seems to be no book 2 35 Feb 14, 2012 02:15AM
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Serial killer: storie di ossessione omicida
  • The Wind Dancer/Storm Winds
  • Odore di chiuso
  • Inchiesta sul Cristianesimo. Come si costruisce una religione
  • The Defense
  • 999: L'ultimo custode
  • The Little Man From Archangel
  • I Bastardi di Pizzofalcone
  • Toxic (Seamus Moynihan, #1)
  • Apple Of My Eye
  • Pardonnez nos offenses
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • Final Round
  • Forensic Science of CSI
  • Too Many Murders (Carmine Delmonico, #2)
  • Blood of the Albatross
  • Mosaic
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.
More about Jeffery Deaver...

“Predate your telling me, T.T.” 0 likes