Start by marking “Ivanhoe” as Want to Read:
Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe was one of the first great historical novels of western literature. At last, this extraordinary work has been brought to life as a lavishly illustrated storybook.
Published September 1st 2004 by Chronicle Books (first published 1819)

To ask other readers questions about Ivanhoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivanhoe

Joanna
I grabbed this book off of the shelf at the library, hoping that I would be able to get the gist of the story before I read the actual thing. I found that this retelling is very informing, and the illustrations are excellent.
Robert Hund
This book was first read in high school, about 48 years ago. It was an exciting adventure story. On rereading I find it is still exciting but a 16 year old's rather restricted view of life and family taught parochial intolerance and missed the message. I didn't know what a Jew was except someone who killed Christ and practiced secret rites where Christian children were killed and eaten, and were to be avoided - at least according to family friend, Peggy Hughes. That was pretty much what my fathe ...more
Lora
Shortened retelling of Ivanhoe with really good editing and great illustrations. I used this to prepare my kids for heavier reading, because really, the first time I cracked the original novel open, I thought my head would spin from the sentence structures alone. Learned to read and love the original, and used this children's version to ease the kids in. Now they love the original too!
Gwyneth Davidson
The best thing about this book, for me, is the development of Rachael's character.
Stacy
Good retelling of the classic Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe. The illustrations are wonderful. Of course as the author tells with it being a children's book some details and events were left out.
Nicoleta
Mi-am promis ca voi reciti aceasta carte atunci cand voi vrea sa stiu cum arata Anglia prin sec. XVI si cand voi vea sa studiez mai multe despre istoria angliei. Pe mine m-a plictisit teribil faptul ca actiunea este intrerupta de descrieri interminabile si de amintiri dinistorie si de mai stiu eu ce chesttii printre care trebuie sa-i pescuiesti pe eroii povesti si ajungi sa mori de plictis. E o carte buna dar parca prea intesata cu detoate!
Kelly Aley
Mar 18, 2008 Kelly Aley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages
I read this recently and can fully attest to why it is a CLASSIC! What a wonderfully crafted tale. I would say that it is a little hard to get into, but once the cadence of the language is in your head, it is a wonderful story. I can't believe it took me this long to read it. Highly recommend!
Andrea
Reading this abridged version made me want to read the whole thing. It was romantic and moral. I was pleasantly surprised. This version of the book is short enough to be read in an hour. Recommended in the Tapestry homeschool curriculum for middle school aged kids.
Wonderful tale of knights in shining armor. And all of the honor that goes with it. Terrific story.
Erneilson
As historical fiction, a little stiff - people just don't talk like that today. But a fun read.
Kirsten Karlen
It is a beauty to flip thru, thanx to fabulous illustrations by John Rush!
Annie Oosterwyk
simple with lovely illustrations. a good introduction.
Alicia
Aug 27, 2012 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alicia by: Isaac
Great retelling. 5 stars for the beautiful pictures!!
Hannah
Classic children's literature.
Jesse
Sep 11, 2010 Jesse marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Reading this with the kids...
Kathy Via
Kathy Via marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Lady
Lady marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Rebekah Byson
Rebekah Byson marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Sean Downey
Sean Downey marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Kaloyan Momchev
Kaloyan Momchev marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Sandeep Soodan
Sandeep Soodan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Kit★
Kit★ added it
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Newton and the Counterfeiter: The Unknown Detective Career of the World's Greatest Scientist
  • Catherine the Great
  • Rifles: Six Years with Wellington's Legendary Sharpshooters
  • The Pat Hobby Stories
  • The Publisher: Henry Luce and His American Century
  • Hans Brinker
  • Fannie's Last Supper: Re-creating One Amazing Meal from Fannie Farmer's 1896 Cookbook
  • The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front 1915-1919
  • Roger, the Jolly Pirate
  • Hannibal
  • The Story of the Scrolls: The Miraculous Discovery and True Significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls
  • Mary Tudor: Princess, Bastard, Queen
  • The Tub People
  • To Hell on a Fast Horse: Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett, and the Epic Chase to Justice in the Old West
  • The Winged Watchman (Living History Library)
  • Wedlock
  • A History of Zionism: From the French Revolution to the Establishment of the State of Israel
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
Marianna Mayer lives in Roxbury, Connecticut.
"I see folktales and myths as humankind's first stories," says Marianna Mayer. "They are a kind of collective dreaming, filled with timeless symbols and images we can all relate to, regardless of age or culture. And, much as an oyster must be disturbed by a grain of sand in order for the pearl to be created, I often choose to retell stories in which I
More about Marianna Mayer...
Beauty and the Beast The Twelve Dancing Princesses Baba Yaga and Vasilisa the Brave Pegasus The Unicorn and the Lake

“Of all the train, none escaped except Wamba, who showed upon the occasion much more courage than those who pretended to greater sense.” 4 likes