The Gentle Giants of Ganymede (Giants, #2)

The Gentle Giants of Ganymede (Giants #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  967 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Long before the world of the Ganymeans blew apart, millennia ago, the strange race of giants had vanished. All that remained of them was a wrecked ship, abandoned on a frozen moon of Jupiter. Now Earth's scientists were there, determined to ferret out the secret of the lost race. Then suddenly the Ganymeans returned, bringing with them answers that would alter all Mankind'...more
Mass Market Paperback, 246 pages
Published August 12th 1983 by Del Rey Books (first published 1978)

Ron
How did they know the gravity beacon reconfigured itself in both software and hardware before they turned it on? (And if you want something to be super reliable, you don't give it extra potential fail modes.)

This series has gone from cute to silly.
Paul
Continuing the story began in "Inherit the Stars," this is about the discovery of a corpse on the moon, dressed in a red spacesut, that happens to be 50,000 years old. Further research on the corpse, and the items found with it, and further discoveries elsewhere on the Moon, lead to the conclusion that there was a planet, Minerva, between Mars and Jupiter. The planet was dying; a rising level of carbon dioxide would soon render it uninhabitable. Various methods to fix the problem were considered...more
Maria Grazia
Gioiellino della fantascienza tecnologica e utopistica, in cui i terrestri hanno rinunciato alla violenza e di conseguenza non sparano a vista sugli alieni emersi dagli abissi del tempo e dello spazio, alieni che sono delle copie giganti dei figli dei fiori, con i loro abiti colorati, i lunghi capelli e le fronti cinte di face d'oro, e fa niente che le fasce sono i migliori precursori delle webcam che abbia mai trovato nella scifi del tempo.
Incredibilmente la traduzione è piacevole, e il titolo,...more
Katie
Jan 07, 2014 Katie added it
This is the second novel in the trilogy. It pales in comparison to the first. Primarily because it doesn't really have a plot. Stuff happens, but there's not really a driving force that the characters are trying to achieve. The novel starts by meeting the Ganymeans, who were hinted at in the first book. It does tie up a lot of loose ends left from the first book involving man's history, but it's mostly about the Ganymeans and their interactions with humanity. It's ho hum in general.

On the plus s...more
Bogusław Muraszko
Druga część Gigantów no i nareszcie mamy KONTAKT. Ciekawie pokazana poprawiona wersja "historii" Ziemi i losów obcych. Da się czytać, pomimo braku konkretnej akcji. Za to mamy badania, analizy, dociekania, próby porozumienia z obcymi itp. Nawet takie "nudy" podane w specyficzny "Hoganowski" sposób dają się przeczytać. Dla miłośników wojen, strzelanin, mysliwców gwiezdnych to nie będzie dobre. Ale dla fanów trochę intelektualnych podróży, będzie w sam raz. Będę z niecierpliwością czekał na cześć...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This is the second of the Giants novels, after Inherit the Stars. In the first novel, a body is found inside a space suit on the moon--and turns out to be 50 thousand years old. Later, on Ganymede, is found a derelict alien ship, with the remains of alien giants--and it turns out to be 25 million years old. These are the central mystery around which the story revolves, and the interesting part is the play of scientific ideas. In other worlds, the novel his hard science--pretty hardcore.

In the s...more
Per Gunnar
This book continues where Inherit the Stars left off. However, this time the subject of the research turns up alive and, reasonably, well. Rather remarkable timing for them to return after 25 million years just when the humans starts to investigate their whereabouts but let’s not get picky now. It is Science Fiction after all. The book is still a lot about research and finding out what actually happened 25 million years ago as well as the more recent events 50 000 years ago.

Given that the Ganyme...more
Phillip
It's been almost fifteen years since I read "Inherit The Stars." I wasn't certain since I had never read a book that had been defined as "hard science fiction." What I found was an intriguing detective story complete wtih a dead body, but the mystery was not whodunnit, but rather, how on earth was the body doing on the surface of the moon having died long before man evolved on earth.

Th resulting novel follows some intriguing lines of logical exploration that spiral methodically towards the solut...more
Paul
One of the many childhood sci-fi novels I've chosen to read again as an adult. I had finished reading Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson and was so depressed, it caused me to think of the novels I had read in the past that gave me hope for the future, made me proud to be human. Then I remembered "Inherit The Stars" and devoured that in a couple days. Moved onto Gentle Giant's of Ganymede and just finished that. Today, my new Kindle Fire got delivered and this series was the first thing I transfer...more
Gwyn Rees
Once you read "inherit the stars" you just have to read this one.
It never disappoints as the more you read the more you pick up nuances you missed on the previous read
Anna Tormey
One of the best sci-fi books I've read in a while. Very easy to relate to, orginal alien depiction and interesting developments, the series only get better with each book.
Charlotte
While nominally a sequel to Inherit the Stars, the two books cry out to be read together in order to solve all the mysteries arising in Inherit. However, Inherit the stars is a better science fiction detective story. The science is fun in both of them, but there is little character development or conflict so the detection held the interest in Inherit, which I gave 5 stars. The solution to science mysteries are revealed in Gentle Giants, but not as a result of a logical sequence of detecting step...more
Wade
With the discovery of the Lunarians in the first book of the trilogy, "Inherit the Stars", and now the further complication of another extraterrestrial race, the Ganymeans, the mystery of earth's past becomes much more exciting and complicated. "The Gentle Giants of Ganymede" is another James Hogan hard sci-fi masterpiece. If you enjoy a good technical mystery with lots of believable scientific details, you will like this book. Make sure you read the entire trilogy because book 3, "Giant's Star"...more
Marc
“The Gentle Giants of Ganymede” is a fast read that’s also a good demonstration of how scientists attack problems. I liked how the story and plot moved along also while also seeming plausible. The author has interesting ideas of how life and intelligence could evolve if there were no predators. Though written in 1978 the story does not seem dated other than that many of the people smoke, including on space ships, and that there were no women other than one of the aliens.
Seth Kaplan
Fantastic 2nd book in Hogan's Giants series. A rare work of science fiction that truly concentrates on what might be in science and spends pages on pages proposing alternatives to our scientific understanding of the world. One reads it with a constant expectation of disaster to befall the plot, but whether that happens is what gets you to keep turning the pages...
J.F. Elferdink
Although a great premise for the story, The Gentle Giants fell short of being a page-turner due to the complex "scientific" discussions on the difference between the genetic coding elements of humans and the Ganymeans. Was the change deliberate or an evolutionary process? And what does the answer say about the origin of Earthlings? That's the reason to read the book.
Andypants
I really wish this book had more of the suspenseful scientific method back-and-forth of the first novel in this series. The author's political and teleological views come out much more strongly in this one, almost to the point of being a little preachy (and i even agree with the guy). That said, I'm sure I'll be reading more of his work.
Sean Randall
Though there was little surprising for the majority of the novel, it was still very good - and in fact better than the first, I thought, familiarity with the characters allowing things to progress a little quicker.

Two revelations at the end, as well, which spiced things up nicely and as with book one, made me want to go get the next.
Chris Gager
Not bad sci-fi in terms of ideas and speculations on evolution, space travel etc. Full of the usual "watch out for us homo sapiens" crap at the end. Lots of talk, talk, talk as the means of presenting the authors ideas. I figured out the genetic engineering "twist" about halfway through. And what's with all the smoking and drinking???
Craig Russo
This story provides a lot of hope. Does that turn you off? I hope not. I will say that the author goes into some boring scientific analyses and the conclusions of some of those analyses were unclear even at the end of the book. Still, I'd recommend this book to those pure SF fans who read this review.
George
There was no interpersonal or inter-species conflict at all in this story, only puzzles to solve. And an over-optimistic Gene Roddenberry-esque view of the development of human nature. The book examines some interesting ideas.
Charles
Sequel to "Inherit the Stars." Not as good as the first in this three book series, but still good reading.
Maria
Apr 08, 2008 Maria rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Pretty good. I am not sure I really like that I get a brand new revelation in the very end of the book. I am glad I already have book 3 and could start immediately because if I didn't I might be very upset right now.
Tymothy
Again, at least the second time for this one and still a great story. Also a good read for fans of Arthur C. Clarke, Stephen Baxter and similar authors.
J.
Apr 22, 2014 J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This was a good follow up to the first book in the series. It featured the same problem solving and adventure. The narrator did a good job as well.
Robert Strupp
A rare book in which pretty much nothing ever happens. I could read a dozen sentences and pass out as if I were listening to an Obama speech.
Brent Moffitt
Entertaining and well-thought out. Has an interesting theory on how Man was able to move upward on the intelligence scale.
Tufty McTavish
Everything's good, nothing bad goes wrong, it's all amazingly positive. But I still love the concept.
Bogdina
Probably my favorite of the Giants Novels. Still not that well-written, but still full of interesting ideas.
Ralph
Very good book - it continued the story very well and had a great ending.
  • The Martian Race
  • Starquake
  • The Avatar
  • Starburst
  • Fall of the White Ship Avatar (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #3)
  • The Ring of Charon (The Hunted Earth, #1)
  • Captive Universe
  • Coyote Rising (Coyote Trilogy, #2)
  • Convergent Series
  • The Northern Girl (Chronicles of Tornor, #3)
  • Berserker's Planet (Berserker, #3)
  • A Matter For Men
  • The Dueling Machine
  • Disaster Area
  • Earthclan
  • Enemy Mine
  • Metaconcert (Intervention, #2)
  • City Come a-Walkin'
James Patrick Hogan was a British science fiction author.

Hogan was was raised in the Portobello Road area on the west side of London. After leaving school at the age of sixteen, he worked various odd jobs until, after receiving a scholarship, he began a five-year program at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough covering the practical and theoretical sides of electrical, electronic, and m...more
More about James P. Hogan...
Inherit the Stars (Giants, #1) Giants' Star (Giants, #3) Voyage from Yesteryear The Proteus Operation Code of the Lifemaker (Code of the Lifemaker, #1)