Start by marking “Knit the Season” as Want to Read:
Knit the Season

Knit the Season (Friday Night Knitting Club #3)

3.43  ·  Rating Details ·  6,398 Ratings  ·  796 Reviews
In this continuation of the Friday Night Knitting Club series, the now college-age Dakota Walker spends the Christmas holiday in Scotland with her father, grandparents, and her late mothers best friend, as they all share happy memories of previous Christmases with Georgia Walker.
Audiobook, Preloaded Digital Audio Player, 8 pages
Published November 3rd 2009 by Blackstone Audio (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Knit the Season, please sign up.

Bree
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Britany
A lighthearted holiday book visiting with some favorite characters. Sometimes in the midst of everything going on, it's comforting to open a book with characters you already know and a story you know will leave you feeling full.

It was nice to catch up with Dakota Walker again and all the ladies of the Friday night knitting club, even with the ever present absence of Georgia Walker. Perfectly wrapped up in the end, but sometimes one needs a perfect ending.
Kendra
Dec 04, 2009 Kendra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kate Jacobs has come out with the latest installment of the Friday Night Knitting Club series, Knit the Season. As a knitter, I enjoyed the first book in the series, Friday Night Knitting Club while on vacation a few years ago. I loved her second novel (unrelated to this series) Comfort Food.

Knit the Season is focused on Dakota this time, which is nice. If you have read the other two books in the series, you do get caught up with several of the characters and what they have been up to in recent
Carrie
Nov 22, 2009 Carrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm reminded of blockbuster movie sequels that have no substance because the creators know their audience will come see it no matter what.

Jacobs is a talented writer with a unique ability to create flawed characters that are so engaging and real. That said - this book was a huge disappointment. Full of preachy cliches about family love, complete with the now-college-aged Dakota spouting off sage advice out of nowhere (the cause of much eye-rolling and skimming on my part) - every single scene c
Jess Gill
sometimes a familiar set of a characters, and a book that doesn't require much thought is just what i'm looking for. this was exactly that.
SallyHP
Nov 14, 2010 SallyHP rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that, considering how much I liked Friday Night Knitting Club, I'm pretty disappointed with not only the plot (or should I say lack of plot) in this third book in the series, but with the wooden dialogue and two-dimensional characters.

I read the whole thing, but it took over a week because I was just not getting caught up in the characters like I had before. It was kind of like watching the re-make of 'The Women', in that you expect great things because you like all the actresses a
Tini
Oct 30, 2010 Tini rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You know those movie series where the first one makes you really want to see the second one, the second one leaves you disappointed but still willing to see the third, and by the time the trilogy is over, you find yourself thinking "dear God, why didn't they just stop with the first?"

Yeah.

Here you have that same emotion, in book form.
Chrissy
I feel that this is a great end to the series and am hoping this is indeed the last book. I enjoyed the first book very much, and was excited to get the second book and then quickly disappointed when I read it.

This book was more tolerable than the last book, however there were a few things that could have been changed. I'm happy to see that the writer dropped the racial issues with Dakota, that was really annoying in the second book.

There was a bit too much opinions from the friends of the group
Sandie
Dec 19, 2010 Sandie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
KNIT THE SEASON is my first Kate Jacobs book. I realize that I began this "series" on book three, and I understand that these are continuing characters. I also realize that I did not get much enjoyment from the story and found most of the characters dull and lackluster and the story less than engrossing.

A great deal of the story involves reminiscences about Georgia, the joint owner of a knitting shop. For someone who has been dead for six years there is a lot of print devoted to her...which wou
Eileen Daly-Boas
No spoilers.
Blurb: a return to the characters of Friday Night Knitting Club, with Dakota nearly all grown up. A pass-the-time kind of novel that surprisingly, brought me to tears.
Longer version: I listened to the audiobook of the first in the series, and it wasn't my favorite book, but was a nice little story of a young mother and her friends. I selected this audiobook, mostly because I thought it would be a nice unchallenging little listen. And, for the most part it was. It doesn't require grea
Alissa
Nov 15, 2009 Alissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, 2009
Unfortunately, this didn't do it for me. I thought the story was slow moving and wish the entire novel had been from Dakota's perspective. It was a bit confusing and the plot was thin. Considering how much I loved the other two, it was disappointing.
Bridget
Jan 03, 2010 Bridget rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
This book was given to me as a gift, and as I enjoy reading books about the holidays during the month of December, it proved to be just the right time ...

The story revolves mainly around Dakota Walker, who has left college to attend culinary school, while also keeping up with things at the yarn shop of her late mother, Walker & Daughter. She has help in the person of Peri, who manages things day-to-day, as well as from the women in the Friday Night Knitting Club, and Dakota's father as well.
Meaghan
I loved the Friday Night Knitting Club and Knit Two by Jacobs so I was looking forward to reading this book. Plus, you have to read at least one holiday like book during the holidays. I have to admit that while I enjoyed this book, it didn't measure up to the first books. I did enjoy reading the snippets of Georgia's life and also seeing this character from the points of view of her family which is something that hasn't been done yet. I also love all the wonderful characters in this series. I fo ...more
Wendy
Mar 21, 2010 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Friday Night Knitting Club series. It picks up immediately after Knit Two. Dakota is going to cooking school and the holidays are fast approaching. She is feeling the pressure because she has set up an internship at a hotel over Christmas and her father has just arranged for everyone to go see Gran in Scotland for the holidays. Peri has also just told her about an incredible opportunity she was offered in Paris but that would take her away from Walker and Daughter. ...more
Debbie
Dec 10, 2014 Debbie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This is the third book in the series and clearly the worst! I couldn't even read it. Its only a Christmas story because it happens during December but the writing is horrible! The Friday Night Knitting Club was a fun read and the author should have left it at that. The continuing characters are just not strong enough to carry the story. Its just a lot of contrite situations and bad dialogue even worse than the second book. Unfortunately I'm abandoning this one, I'd rather read something interest ...more
Malia
Sep 21, 2012 Malia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiftyfiftyme
Boring, predictable and annoying. I warmed up to these characters in the first book, got a little bored of them in the second book and really started to be annoyed by them in this book. Everything is wrapped up in a neat little package with everyone happy sappy at the end. And I didn't care whether they were happy or not. I just wanted it to be over. And now it is, so i will go back to my own knitting instead of reading about some fake people knitting and talking about life, love and stitches. B ...more
Cherubsmummy
Jan 03, 2012 Cherubsmummy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not make it to the end of this book. There was little to no plot, padded with wads of the previous books and copious descriptions of yarn, knitting and food. I love all three, but without any real story after the first quarter of the book I had completely lost the will to continue. I have huge respect for anyone who successfully writes and publishes a novel, let alone multiple novels, but this book was so far not up my alley that it was in another city.
Mary
Dec 27, 2009 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book. I enjoyed visiting the Friday Night Knitting Club again. But it is rather redundent to explain every time who the characters are. Debbie Macomber does a character list in each book to keep people in the know about what is going on. I don't think if you have followers who read each book as they come out it is necessary to rehash whos who.

I am going to try Comfort Food and see if I enjoy that better.
Bonny
Nov 28, 2009 Bonny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audio
The best thing I can say about this book is, "Thank goodness I got it from the library and didn't purchase it myself." I read the first two books in the series, and enjoyed them as light knitting fiction. I was not expecting the Great American Novel with Knit the Season, but I did expect more than poorly-written cliches, platitudes and banality. This book has little to no substance or plot, which saddened me because Kate Jacobs is capable of much better.
Jane Wolfe
Dec 23, 2011 Jane Wolfe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A friend who knows I knit, loaned this book to me but I just couldn't read it. I applied Jenny's Age related rule.* I didn't give a hoot about the characters and the knitting references seemed thrown in by someone who doesn't knit.

*Jenny's Age Related Reading Rule
After you read as many pages as you are old, decide if you want to finish the book. After age 50, subtract the number of years over 50 from the pages to be read.
Susannah Carleton
I enjoyed this book very much. It nicely tied up all the story threads from the previous books. In this book, the main character is Dakota, the daughter of the main character in the first book. I enjoyed reading about her becoming an adult.

The book was not as Christmas-y as the title led me to expect, but it was a very good read.
Rachel
Aug 04, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book mainly about women learning to live life together. It deals with relationships, single motherhood, and business upkeep, and above all with people who knit (or not) together on Friday nights. The book was well written, and the characters were well drawn, and moreover, I liked this novel the most out of the series as it was the happiest.
Shannon
Feb 05, 2012 Shannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon by: Lenore Michelinie
This series has too many similar characters for me to keep straight to enjoy the series. This book was recommended to me because I love to knit, especially for holiday gifts, but I am not crazy about the series. This is my least favorite installment in the series. Between the issue of too many similar characters and how often the narrative voice jumps around, I didn't enjoy this book.
Mary (BookHounds)
Nov 25, 2009 Mary (BookHounds) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
This newest release in the Friday Night Knitting Club series recaptures the magic of the first book. This is the perfect read for the holiday season and will give you the warm fuzzies.

I think this could stand alone, but it would probably help if you have read the other two books in the series. I love how all of the character's issues are nicely wrapped up.
Loraine
I tried to read this but gave up after about 60 pages. Perhaps it is because it is part of a series. The cast of characters seemed overwhelming, and I couldn't keep them all straight. I may try and read it again if I choose to read the first 2.
Irais Elvira
May 12, 2014 Irais Elvira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Me encantó! Realmente sentí que cerré un ciclo
Antes de leer este libro leí sus reseñas y la mayoría eran malas así que lo empecé sin mucha expectativa pero es como si hubiera vivido el libro.
Simplemente sencillo y sentimental, todo un chicklit
Elizabeth Williams
I still really like the characters and love reading about what they are up to, but I was not a fan of the flashback scenes. The change in point of view was confusing and I would have rather heard one of the characters tell the story instead of having the weird flashback paragraphs.
Aubrey Anne
Oct 01, 2014 Aubrey Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect ending to a great series. Books #1 and #3 made me tear up, so I was glad that this last one was equally emotional as the first. Dakota has grown up into an adult now, it was good to know how her life turned out after the first two books.
Jennifer Olsen wagner
Nope, could not get into this book...is it romance, mystery, just stories. Alot of description about too many people...nothing to hook me, only read about 1/4 and didn't want to waste more time.
Erin
Nov 28, 2014 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this 3 stars because it lacked substance for me which prevented me from caring about the story and characters. However, it is exactly the holiday fluff that I was looking for.
Peggy
Dec 17, 2014 Peggy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really know why I didn't enjoy this book. Maybe it was the voice in audio that I didn't care for.
chat with author Kate Jacobs 1 17 Dec 02, 2009 08:04AM
Let talk kniting! 2 17 Jul 29, 2009 12:59PM
  • Knit One Pearl One (Jo Mackenzie, #3)
  • Knitting
  • The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society (Sweetgum Knit #1)
  • How to Knit a Love Song (Cypress Hollow Yarn, #1)
  • A Stitch Before Dying (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #3)
  • A Holiday Yarn (A Seaside Knitters Mystery #4)
  • Dropped Dead Stitch (A Knitting Mystery, # 7)
  • The Knitting Diaries: The Twenty-First Wish\Coming Unraveled\Return to Summer Island (A Blossom Street Novel)
  • Unravelled
  • Spinning Forward
  • Knitting Under the Influence
  • Knit in Comfort
  • Casting Off
Kate Jacobs is the New York Times-bestselling author of Comfort Food, Knit Two, and The Friday Night Knitting Club, which has over 1 million copies in print.

Kate grew up near Vancouver, British Columbia, in the scenic and delightfully named town of Hope (pop. 6,184). It’s an area filled with friends and family and Kate loves to visit. Back then, of course, it was tremendously boring, as only home
More about Kate Jacobs...

Friday Night Knitting Club (3 books)
  • The Friday Night Knitting Club (Friday Night Knitting Club, #1)
  • Knit Two (Friday Night Knitting Club, #2)