Crisis, Opportunity, And The Christian Future

Crisis, Opportunity, And The Christian Future

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  20 reviews
We are witnessing the end of Western Civilization. The present crisis in our culture is the greatest since the first century. Many commentators on the present scene believe that the entire world is moving into a period of neo-tribalism. In this striking book, theologian James B. Jordan argues that this cultural change is part of God's ongoing plan for humanity, the plan by...more
63 pages
Published 2008 by Athanasius Press (first published 1994)

Jason Twombly
"Crisis, Opportunity, and the Christian future," challenges the Christian to a life of "total Bible saturation." James B. Jordan, building on the ideas of Eugene Rosenstock-Huessy, categorizes history into three main Biblical eras. Like the men of Issachar, "If we understand how God guides the development of human history, we can begin to understand the therapies needed to correct the problems of our own time."

Jordan explains how history spirals through specific phases and illustrates them from...more
Chris Griffith
A concise, informative, and intriguing evaluation of where the church is in world history, the direction we are moving, and a vision of biblical praxis for the future.
Jacob Aitken
EDIT:

I am very critical of Jordan, but this is actually a decent pamphlet. He divides Church History into Trinitarian cycles along the lines of Priest, King, Prophet. The Patristic age was "priestly" (fleshing out the doctrine of God), the medieval age was kingly (I guess that makes sense, what with Christendom and all), and the Reformation age is prophetic (I suppose I see it).

It's neat and not a bad outline of history.
John
Neo-tribalism has arrived. Let's start singing Psalms.
Benjamin Alexander
This was probably not Jordan's best, many confusing multi-layered themes that weren't carefully established. It's a small book. But.. But, there is some really good and important stuff in there too. In essence, he argues that Christians today have an exciting opportunity to shape a new element in world and church history with the fall of modernism and the entrance to a new identity and force in culture. He speaks of post-modernism (without naming it) as an opportunity for the Church to display t...more
Scott
Jordan's exploration of the patterns of redemptive history and what they mean for the future was quite thought-provoking, though they were quite general (in order to fit in a small work, I imagine).

His call for churches to recover the parish model, teach the Bible in depth, and offer community in a time of loneliness and isolation seemed just right.
John Barbour
This is a must read for all Christian Leaders. Although it is now 20 years old it is still very relevant to the situation we find ourselves in. James Jordan is an unusual yet creative thinker. he will challenge you to look to God and the future with hope and optimism. This is my second time reading it. The last time was 15 years ago.
Michael Jones
This is a very short, broad sweeping overview of the Bible and history.

In this one he is not carefully substantiating his conclusions, but rather building upon his years of work With Biblical Horizons to show huge mega patterns of history.

he has already done what he calls upon you to do: total Bible saturation. When you become saturated with the patterns Scripture, you will begin to see the patterns of history through God's eyes.

This in turn will help you to understand where we are today. At it...more
Matt Carpenter
This is an intriguing and thought-provoking book. It helps if you've already read his book "Through New Eyes," because it builds on themes established in that book. In this work Jordan explains his philosophy of history and where he believes the church is headed. Whether you agree with him or not, he will make you think about things that hadn't occurred to you before.
Jo
Feb 09, 2014 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: re-read
This is a wonderful little essay. I will definately be reading it again. It takes the long view of things - a commodity that is woefully short in the Christin world at large these day. Dr. Jordan explains the historical patterns concisely and gives a biblical mandate that wonderfully refocuses kingdom vision.
Daniel
Good book. Provocative. The Christian has real need to work towards a better future. The world is not coming to an end any time soon.
Bennett

Most of the sentences in this essay need book-length exposition. As such, it is at various times frustrating and exhilarating. A good beginning for serious discussion about the nature of the Church's mission at this stage in Western history.
Ryan

Very intriguing and thought provoking. I'm not sure that I'm fully convinced by His Biblical/Historical Framework, but His diagnosis of the current state of Western society seems to be right on and the prescription he puts forth is key.
Douglas Hayes
This is an excellent treatment of biblical history as a foundation for Christian hope and the historical progress of the gospel. Clearly, Jordan is using Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy as a basis of some of his thoughts.
Andrew Stout
I can't say that I fully buy into Jordan's biblical framework of cultural cycles, but he does offer some excellent insights into the current state of Western culture and ways in which the Church should respond.
Luke
Quick read, thought-provoking conclusion. The future of the church is wrapped up in its eating, singing, and community.
Jeff Irwin
This book expands upon concepts and themes set out in through new eyes, and presents a fully Trinitarian view of history.
Douglas Hayes
This is a book that develops a biblical philosophy of history.
Brian
Highly recommended.
James
Good stuff...
Tom Velasco
Tom Velasco marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Joshua Nuckols
Joshua Nuckols marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Douglas Hitzel
Douglas Hitzel marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Micah Neely
Micah Neely marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Ryan Harrison
Ryan Harrison marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Rick Davis
Rick Davis marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
James B. Jordan is a Calvinist theologian and author. He is director of Biblical Horizons ministries, a think tank in Niceville, Florida that publishes books, essays and other media dealing with Bible commentary, Biblical Theology, and liturgy.

Jordan was born in Athens, Georgia, and he attended the University of Georgia, where he received a B.A. in comparative literature and participated in Campus...more
More about James B. Jordan...
Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World Primeval Saints: Studies in the Patriarchs of Genesis Creation in Six Days: A Defense of the Traditional Reading of Genesis One The Liturgy Trap: The Bible versus Mere Tradition in Worship The Sociology of the Church: Essays in Reconstruction