Bites: Scary Stories to Sink Your Teeth Into

Bites: Scary Stories to Sink Your Teeth Into

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Chilling, original tales about vampires and other creatures that bite, from some of today's best authors, including Christopher Paul Curtis, Neal Shusterman, Peter Lerangis, and more.

Are you ready for spine-tingling tales by some of today's best writers? Just keep in mind a few simple warnings:

-Some vampires don't want just your blood . . . they want something even more va...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published November 2009)

Numey {Azra, creator of Azura}
Funny stories I never expected :)
The collection had vampires, werewolves... and something else I forgot :/
Amanda
This is a great anthology! It wasn't overly scary to me, but I can imagine that it would have a decent scare-factor for kids. I wrote summaries and review for each of the seven short stories:

"Perpetual Pest" by Neal Shusterman and Terry Black
Mark and his older, juvenile delinquent brother, Rudy, are going grave-digging in order to find something to sell. Mark desperately wants some new sneakers so he can do well on the basketball team, but his mom doesn't have the money to buy them. Rudy was the...more
Julie Suzanne
Feb 03, 2010 Julie Suzanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle school boys & girls who like short, scary stories
These short stories sharing the common theme of "bites" (werewolves, ghost dogs, vampires, etc.) are perfectly appropriate for the middle school classroom. All of these tales are modern and not too hard to read for your average young teen, and its not that easy to find a book like that, trust me. Like Twilight Zone episodes with ironic twists at the end, most of these are narrated with authentic, modern-day teen voices. "Going Old School in the Obama Age" is awful and pointless, but the rest of...more
Lupe Tovar
"Bites" by Lois Metzger is a fantastic but yet interesting book. It literally made me sick into its feigning and scary stories by each chapter and had my attention for sure. I can recommend this book to people who like that mystery, scary type of book and for people who love a short scary time. I currently finished this book and it was good. One of the best books I can recommend and a book I loved!
Brandi
I bought this books in hopes of having more scary stories to read to my classes around Halloween. Unfortunately these stories are not scary at all. None of them are likely to frighten even the youngest of my students. They aren't ideal for read-alouds either. I was pretty disappointed, but I'm hoping the companion book Bones will be a better read.
Kathy
As others have said, this is a decent collection of short scary(ish) stories that should appeal to tweens and up. My favorite story in the collection is "Ghost Dog" by Ellen Wittlinger. I read this to my 5th and 6th graders and it's spooky enough with a good twist to give them the chills!
Nancy
A collection of short stories about ghosts, vampires and werewolves for the preteen set. I really enjoyed a couple of the stories... especially the ones where the "monsters" were not out for blood.
Elizabeth
A collection of stories which can be told around a campfire to get everyone's mind going about the unknown ;) A great read if you want to be scared and you're a young reader
Stephanie
I think that this is a very good book and that it is amazing but i didn't think that it was as amazing as you most likely think...
Kellie
It was an okay book. the scary stories weren't scary really. They were funny and all but not the kind of scary stories that I like.
Pyxipyro
I liked the stories. Short and entertaining. The prolog with rules in it regarding the stories was neat.
Kate
Interesting assortment of childrens' tales of beasties that bite. It was a bit of a mixed bag.
Joe
Fun collection on decently spooky stories. Like always, some are better than others.
Andd Becker
Students who like the chiller genre will enjoy the vampire/werewolf/ghost dog stories.
Lizzie Daigle
I have the flip-book bites/bones! Both are very good!
Chris
Scary enough to keep it along the mind!
vampire lover
May 20, 2011 vampire lover rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to vampire by: found it
it was awesome but not spin tigaling
Ashley
Destiny Boggan
Destiny Boggan marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Taylor Whittenberg
Taylor Whittenberg marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Eliannis
Eliannis marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Brittni Kramer
Brittni Kramer marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Kenzie Lundberg
Kenzie Lundberg marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • More Bones
  • Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales
  • Vampire Island (Vampire Island, #1)
  • Vampire Breath (Goosebumps, #49)
  • The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #4)
  • Beaten (Surviving Southside)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
  • Vampalicious! (My Sister the Vampire, #4)
  • Last Stop (Watchers, #1)
  • Bloodsuckers: The Vampire Archives, Volume 1
  • Friends: Stories About New Friends, Old Friends, And Unexpectedly True Friends
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Super Sleuth (Encyclopedia Brown, #25)
  • The Cheerleader (Point Horror, #18)
  • The English Roses
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
  • Rosario+Vampire, Vol. 2 (Rosario+Vampire, #2)
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • Day of the Iguana
Lois Metzger is the author of three previous novels and two nonfiction books about the Holocaust, and she has edited five anthologies.

The following is an article from 2001:

Lois Metzger is a firm believer in the philosophy "books change lives." It was while growing up in Queens, New York, and reading incessantly that Ms. Metzger decided that she wanted to become a writer.

She shared her passion with...more
More about Lois Metzger...
A Trick of the Light Yours, Anne: The Life Of Anne Frank The Year We Missed My Birthday Bones: Terrifying Tales to Haunt Your Dreams Missing Girls