Start by marking “Snowbound” as Want to Read:
Snowbound

Snowbound

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  1,084 ratings  ·  106 reviews
When a blizzard strands Fiona MacPherson and her students in Oregon's Cascade Mountains, their only hope of survival is to seek shelter at Thunder Mountain Lodge. Their host is John Fallon, a handsome, enigmatic war veteran haunted by secrets and scars that may never heal.

John Fallon never imagined he'd be playing host to this captivating teacher and her eight teenage char
ebook, Harlequin Super Romance Series #1454, 288 pages
Published November 1st 2007 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Snowbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowbound

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Snowbound was a very pleasant read. I liked the snowed-in aspect with Fiona, who was a teacher who coached a high school trivia team, and John, an Iraqi war veteran who is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. I loved and felt for John. I mostly liked Fiona, but I didn't like the way she handled John's issues. She was bulldozing him into dealing with his PTSD. I didn't like the ultimatum she delivered. She seemed to think he was supposed to all of a sudden become an open book. It doesn' ...more
Dina
This book had an interesting premise - wounded hero suffering from PTSD - but it failed to grab me. I just couldn't "connect" with either John or Fiona, and that's bad when I'm reading a romance. Plus, too much time was "wasted" on endless scenes with Fiona's students, and I couldn't care less about their teen drama. This was almost a DNF for me, but I stubbornly persevered because I wanted to see how John would finally heal. Well, the HEA was quite realistic, I'll give you that, but it was as e ...more
Beanbag Love
This was a Kindle freebie (still is, I believe) and is a surprisingly nice read, even though serious PTSD is a main topic.

I wasn't expecting much when I downloaded it and I took months to finally read it, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. If nothing else, it has me dying to go to a lodge in the mountains and sit in front of a roaring fire.

John and Fiona are a nice couple. He's a veteran of Iraq, wounded both inside and out. Fiona is a teacher, stranded in a blizzard with eight teenagers at his mou
Bill
This was a free e-book offered by Harlequin and free is a very good price. It is about a teacher who is returning to Portland, Oregon from Redmond with six high school kids when she is caught in an early winter snow storm in the Cascades. They take refuge at a lodge owned by a reclusive Iraqi war veteran who is trying to recover from post traumatic stress disorder. This is a straight forward romance but it is good enough that I enjoyed it and even gave it four stars. And I liked that it is set i ...more
Wendy
The more I dig into modern category romance, it seems, the better the books get. Book four was good, and so is this, book five, which is from the SuperRomance line. I read this one in one sitting.

A read of the bookjacket blurb brought the 1964 movie Father Goose to mind: man living in isolation is lumbered with a teacher and her schoolchildren, and as they struggle to survive and get the teacher and her charges where they need to be, the hero and the schoolteacher fall in love. And except for t
Misti
This was a cute, easy read. Normally I stay far away from contemporary romance, but this one was being given out for free as part of a Harlequin promotion so I figured I'd give it a try.

It's a nice little story and I really did love all the characters with the exception (unfortunately) of the hero, who just. didn't. get it. He's got some issues but they shouldn't be insurmountable, instead, he lets them get between himself and the heroine.

I liked that we did get to see the story from both main
Christina (AKA Babbling)
Teacher Fiona MacPherson and eight of her students are returning from an academic competition when they are stranded in the Cascade Mountains by a November snowstorm. The forecasters misjudged the speed of the storm, and Fiona had expected to be home long before it was supposed to start. Fortunately, one of the students recognizes a half-buried sign that marks the road leading to Thunder Mountain Lodge.

To read the rest of my review, please visit Christina Babbles

Updated: 19 October 2013
Michelle
I usually don't read Harlequins because they tend to lack substance and intensity. I really enjoyed this one, though. The story was good, I liked the heroine - Fiona - a lot, and her romance with John moved at a believable pace. It had emotion and passion and they worked their way through their issues in a way that was real.
Monica
Good idea for a story - it left alot to be desired for me. Slow, uninteresting characters... I've even forgotten most of the book.
Michelle Heid
Shallow characters & predictable. Free download on my kindle so read it in two days.
Shameeka Alexis
This is another free read offered by Harlequin to celebrate their 60th anniversary.

The book was not bad- I liked it.

It was definitely an emotional read – the PTSD issues John dealt and his pain.

He was a good man, strong and caring, but unable to deal with the events of his past.
He has flashbacks and nightmares, and instead of trying to get help, he shut himself off and hoped hard work, solitude and time would heal him.

I wasn't very impressed by Fiona, though.

She was actually a very well drawn
Tonileg
Contemporary blizzard snowbound story with a teacher and her students at a mountain lodge owned by a hot single guy... As if! I would have to wonder around in the mountains during the storming winter, which will never happen because I do not like the cold, but I do love hot tasty single men!
Back to this story where Miss Fiona MacPherson is on a routine field-trip with her Hi-Q club of 8 teenagers. She makes a mistake by taking a difficult mountain pass while a cold front comes in quickly, too qu
Megan
A high school teacher and the students on her quiz bowl team are caught by a snowstorm and are stranded at an isolated inn owned by an equally isolated Iraq war veteran. In a matter of days, the entire group grows closer, Fiona and John most of all. I found this a warm, believable read about what people need in order to truly connect with each other. (Spoiler alert: good communication, honest listening and honest speaking, is key.)

John, struggling with PTSD, is the focus of change in the story.
CS
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
This book was ok. It took me a long time to get through, but it was worth the read.

This has a lot more story than romance, but it was a god thing the story was good. You will be completely educated about PTSD when you finish this book.

A teacher becomes stranded in a snow storm with 8 teenagers on the way back from a school knowledge bowl competition. They end up at a lodge with the lone owner who suffers from PTSD & that's where the story started. It veers off to dealing with teenagers &
LOLAinSC
This was a mindless but entertaining pink fluffy confection of brain candy. Was I expecting anything else? No, so I wasn't disappointed. I am a sucker for "snowbound" books where two strangers deal with the problems and inconveniences that arise while trapped by a blizzard, flood, nuclear war, zombie apocalypse, whatever, and try to remain affable while making the best of the situation, and as a result, love grows. The problem with these stories is who else gets thrown into the mix to bridge the ...more
Ellen (more books, please)
I started this on a 1.5-hour plane trip. I figured I would enjoy it and keep reading or forget it by the time the plane deboarded and go on with my life. I am not a huge fan of the Harlequin categories generally, but every now and then I hit a good one. And this one is making me want to do a major glom of this author's work.

I kept reading. I so enjoyed it.
The writing was wonderfully evocative of feelings. You could feel the physical and mental pain of the protags, the machinations they went thro
Lord Rose
It's amazing how fast technology can date a book. There were eight rich teens, and only six had cellphones, and flip ones, at that. And then I realized this book was published in 2007, before the iPhone. (Although in 2007, I'd still expect every one of them to have a cell phone.) It seems so strange now to remember how things were before smartphones. (I'm typing this right now on my iPhone, in fact.) If this book were written today, likely the only activities that would occur: every teen sitting ...more
Stephanie Haefner
Jess
"This was such a disappointment. I picked it up from Amazon.com since they had it free if you had an iPod or a Kindle and it was on the top of the list for supposedly being so good. But ehhh. =0P"

Read more of this review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2009/12/they-say-that-things-just-cannot-grow.html
Patty Beaty
Very good story, well written with lovable believable characters. Ms. Johnson has those kids down to perfection. I've known kids just like what she's described here. Love the way the teacher turns everything into a learning experience. The main characters as well are well written with excellent descriptions of their pasts and their fears. I would recommend this book to anyone. I couldn't put it down till I was done!
Robin
Teacher Fiona MacPherson and eight students are traveling through the Cascade Mountains when a blizzard hits. They seek shelter at Thunder Mountain Lodge. Their host is John Fallon, a war veteran haunted by secrets and scar that may never heal.

Interesting story. The hero has to fight to overcome his post tramatic stress disorder before he can build a life with the heroine. My rating: 3.5 Stars.
Jackie Lane
This is a HEA book.

This book centers around Fiona MacPherson, or Ms. Mac as her students call her. She is on her way home from a Knowledge Competion with her students and a snow storm moves in faster than expected. After driving in the blinding snow, they seek refuge in a Lodge owned by John Fallon, a former Iraq war vet who is suffering from PTSD and has a visible scar and limp, which the author did not overdo or make it the root of the book.

After the students and Ms. Mac are rescued the book t
Scott
Very nice romance -- characters you easily care about, a wealth of quirky supporting characters, and a relationship that doesn't happen so rapidly that its unbelievable. The old chestnut of the couple trapped at a remote location and out of communication is handed well, with the twist being that 8 high school students are also trapped with them at the same time. I'll have to watch for more by this author...I'm impressed.
Barbara
When teacher Fiona MacPherson and eight teenage students are caught in a heavy snowstorm, they seek shelter a Thunder Mountain Lodge. Due to the storm, the lodge has no guests, so lodge owner John Fallon can’t do anything but welcome them despite the wounded Iraq veteran’s longing for solitude. As the storm rages on, the teenagers are having fun, as it seems like a winter holiday, although John has his hands full with cooking, cleaning and laundry for ten people. Fiona makes sure the kids take t ...more
Amanda
Book #51 of 2009

This was quick, and a cute read. Again, as with the other book I've read via the Kindle App, it doesn't seem like I really read a book. I thought the premise was interesting, and there's just something about being stranded in the snow that seems hopelessly romantic, even if you're stranded with a bunch of teenagers. I thought that John's PTSD from Iraq was pretty believable, if not entirely fleshed out due to the type of book this is. Overall, a cute a good way to spend an evenin
Shannon
Maybe it's because I have fairly low expectations for Harlequin romances, but I loved this book. It was what a romance should be: unusual meeting, quick sparks, love, separation, reunion. Everything was there. But...it didn't feel formulaic. I loved these characters, Fiona and John. I rooted for them, even though I knew they would be together in the end. I cried for John's challenges as he tried to come to terms with his experiences in Iraq and I understood Fiona's doubts. There was a complexity ...more
Becky Frost
So, I was just saying to my husband that I wanted to go somewhere in the middle of no where....get away from politics, opinions, cell phones and the Internet. Then I told him that I wanted a very light read. I don't know how this book appeared on my e-reader, I really don't. I do not remember purchasing it or borrowing it, but when I did a sort by "not read," this book filtered to the top and not knowing what it was I started to read it. I really enjoyed getting away without cell phones and Inte ...more
Stephanie
The story just struck a chord with me....probably because I'm a teacher and my husband is a veteran and deployed to Afghanistan for a year while we were dating. It's tough when they come home, both for the vet and their family and friends.
  • Stranded with a Spy (Code Name: Danger #11)
  • Price of Passion
  • Once A Cowboy (The Cowboys, #3)
  • Dancing In The Moonlight (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #2)
  • The Bride's Baby
  • Slow Hands (Harlequin Blaze, #402)
  • Speed Dating (Harlequin NASCAR, #2)
  • His Lady Mistress
  • A Very Special Delivery
  • Crime Scene At Cardwell Ranch (Cardwell Ranch #1)
  • A Not-So-Perfect Past
  • Kiss Me Deadly (Bewitch the Dark #2)
  • The Brass Bed (Jewel Heiss #1)
  • Home for the Holidays
  • Homespun Bride (The McKaslin Clan Historical #2)
  • Irresistible Forces (Steele Series #5)
  • What the Librarian Did (Harlequin Superromance, #1622)
  • Baby Bonanza
Janice Kay Johnson is the author of sixty books for children and adults. Her first four published romance novels were coauthored with her mother, also a writer who has since published mysteries and children's books on her own. These were "sweet" romance novels, the author hastens to add; she isn't sure they'd have felt comfortable coauthoring passionate love scenes!

Janice graduated from Whitman Co
More about Janice Kay Johnson...
First Comes Baby Whose Baby? Her Sister's Baby Match Made In Court From Father to Son