Start by marking “Mi Moto Fidel: Motorcycling Through Castro's Cuba” as Want to Read:
Mi Moto Fidel: Motorcycling Through Castro's Cuba

Mi Moto Fidel: Motorcycling Through Castro's Cuba

Mi Moto Fidel, Christopher Baker's intriguing account of his three-month romp through Cuba on a fire-engine red motorcycle is perhaps the most thorough portrait of this faded Communist country to date. Baker leaves no stone unturned as he revisits Ernest Hemingway's haunts in Havana, checks out a secret cave in the foothills of the sierras that once served as Che Guevara's ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by National Geographic (first published January 30th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mi Moto Fidel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mi Moto Fidel

Anna
Aug 19, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Christopher Baker's memoir about the three month motorcycle trip he took all around Cuba in the mid nineties. I bought this book at a garage sale or a goodwill because I loved Baker's Moon Guide to Cuba: it was incredibly informative and invaluable when we traveled there several years ago. I was looking forward to hearing about his adventures in a more narrative and less "guide" format, but was somewhat disappointed.

To his credit, Baker makes many interesting observations about Cuban li
Alex Jasper
Sleazy and dull. This guy has ridden his thesaurus harder than his motorbike. It's great that he sees through the facade of the benevolent revolution to gain an understanding of the realities of the island prison, but a tragedy that he has no insight into how these realities allow him to abuse disempowered black women half his age and feel good about it / make excuses for it.
Ciara
Sep 13, 2007 Ciara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-for-me
Maybe it was because I'd heard many of the stories in this book from the author himself, when I met him. Maybe it was because I wanted to hear more about Cuba's women than how erotic they all are. Or maybe it's because I don't really like adverbs all that much. But I just couldn't get through this book. If you're reading, Chris, I'm sorry.
Gail
Jun 09, 2012 Gail rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had to give this book up after about 125 pages. The two things that kept me from liking this book was the author's obsession with picking up women in Cuba and his choice of unusual words when a more common word would have sufficed. His interaction with the Cuban people was superficial and nothing made me want to keep reading to the end of the book.
Oona
Sep 10, 2012 Oona rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
if you can get through the excessively detailed sexual exploits and self aggrandizing general commentary on the author by the author, there are some interesting nuggets of info about cuba. but for the most part, this book is terrible.
Greg
Mostly a fascinating glimpse into Cuban society and history, except when the author seques into his own exploits with Cuban women. He's a little self-indulgent from time to time, but it was easy enough to skip ahead when that happened. He is clearly sympathetic to socialism and communism, even when so obviously presented with the tremendous difficulties that arise under such political systems. For Cuba, one of the most troubling of those is the libertine environment and attitudes of the people.. ...more
Shannon
Mar 12, 2013 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic look into Castro's Cuba. Descriptive and enjoyable read. It's all here - history, geography, culture, politics. Baker presents political opinions from a broad spectrum of Cuban society. His own opinion sways back and forth as he observes varying levels of joy and despair amongst the people he meets. Yes, ok, so he 'enjoys' a few women along the way. The focus on women lessens the further you read, so bear with it even if it's bothering you. I really value what I read in this ...more
Jessica Dally
If you can get past his constant sleeping with women who "just turned 18" (he's 45+) you'll like the book well enough. His need to be flowery with his words can be a bit annoying too but he is a well respected travel writer and does paint a good picture of the realities of Cuba regardess of these other issues... besides, nasty old guys going to Cuba to have sex with girls that are either barely of age or underage is the reality... though I think I would have preferred to witness it from a few mo ...more
Carla King
Oct 22, 2010 Carla King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christopher Baker's long experience as a travel writer documenting places in Cuba gives him and us perceptions and insights into the culture we could never gain in a trip like that. A not-so-undercurrent is the sexual awakening the journey provokes, which I appreciate the author revealing, because so many speak of it but don't provide details. Here are the details!
Jun 17, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to Cuba (and the author) prior to traveling there! Sure, he doesn't have any qualms with telling of his many trysts with women much younger than himself, but I thought it was done tastefully and think it served a purpose in illustrating one of his points about the culture.
Natalie
Jul 28, 2012 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
superficial insight into Cuban society. In essence, quite sleazy and a vastly missed opportunity to write something decent.
Jim
Always have been interested in Cuba. Would love to go there and visit. For now, must placate myself with an occasional book such as this. I thought it was very interesting.
John
Apr 08, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Baker smuggles a motorcycle into Cuba and then tours the island. An interesting non touristy look at Cuba.
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2015
Rod
Rod rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Emerald
Emerald rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Bryan Constable
Bryan Constable rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Michael Burke
Michael Burke rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
Brigitte
Brigitte rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2014
John Bunbury
John Bunbury rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Summer
Jul 31, 2011 Summer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring, boorish, self-involved, and pointless.
Sebastian Roesinger
Sebastian Roesinger rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2011
Isha
Isha rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2013
Liliaceae
Liliaceae rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2011
Suavi Alper
Suavi Alper rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Martha Cox
Martha Cox rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2012
Miles Kerr-Jarrett
Miles Kerr-Jarrett rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2007
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
May 12, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Adventure Travel ...: Motorcycling Cuba 1 3 Mar 07, 2014 09:06AM
Christopher Paul Baker (born in Yorkshire, England, on 15 June 1955) is a travel writer and photographer currently specializing in the Caribbean and Central America. He is a contributor to magazines and other publications worldwide, and is the author of travel guidebooks (for publishers such as Lonely Planet and Moon Publications) and a literary travelog.

Baker was educated at Rastrick Grammar Scho
More about Christopher P. Baker...