Troll Blood (Troll, #3)

Troll Blood (Troll Trilogy #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Peer and Hilde are thirsty for adventure, and when a Viking longship arrives in their village looking for a crew, they decide to set sail and discover the world. The 'Water Snake' is heading for Vinland, a place far across the sea inhabited by the Skraelings - a mysterious race of people.
Paperback
Published July 2nd 2007 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published February 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Troll Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troll Blood

Alex
When Peer and Hilde are offered a chance to join a viking ship heading to Vinland, it seems to good to be true. Both have dreamed of visiting Vinland and having the stories to tell from it. But when the true nature of their captain, Gunnar, and his son, Harald Silkenhair is revealed, some of the romance is gone.
Blending northern European and native American mythology in a story that has a sea voyage, warriors and a pinch of a love story makes for a compelling read.
Mar Mitchell
Katherine Langrish has become one of my favorite authors after reading Troll Blood. She has wittingly written an excellent tell of adventure, Viking history, and magic in her final book Troll Blood. The characters Peer and Hilde are so well written that you actually visualize yourself being written into the story. I highly recommend everyone young and old to read the complete series.
Kathy Moberg
This is the 3rd book in a series. I have enjoyed all three very much, and this is the best one yet. The combination of Viking history and folk tales, along with the characters growing up, is well done. And this installment has the added twist of including the native culture of Vinland. This is a children's series with much to appeal to adults, as the best children's novels do!
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
I am seriously not exaggerating when I say that the Troll Trilogy is one of the greatest series I have ever read – and I’ve read a lot of books. Within the series, readers are given hearty doses of fantasy, folklore, history, and culture of not one but two civilizations: the Vikings of 10th century Norway and the Native Ameri--er, Canadians. It delivered on action, suspense, romance, and a little bit of comedy, too.

The direction of the third (and final) book in the trilogy completely changes di...more
Meredith
I was worried when I started this book. Peer and Hilde were still around, but it wasn't taking place on Troll Fell? Some of the chapters were from the pov of a character who hadn't even been in the first two books? How can this be?

I shouldn't have worried. It was different from the first two books, but still wonderful. And again, tidbits that were dropped in the first book really paid off big time in this book. I did miss having Hilde's family and Bjorn around, but this was still a fun and sati...more
Greta
Certain aspects of this book are wonderful. The descriptive language, story and plot development are great. I didn't give it a five because for me, there was just a little too much of the supernatural mythical element that distracted me. Otherwise, I enjoyed this book as well as the other two books in the trilogy.

Ryan
The last (possibly?) of the Troll Trilogy - though I can see more. A respectable and well done final book, and I'd forgive the author if she did more. I like her strong females and her hero, Peer, is a lovely young man.
Ron Bajrami
Troll Blood is about Peer joining a viking ship called, Water Snake with his friend Hilde, to go to the new world, called Markland in Serpants Bay. The setting is in the viking ship and on Markland, and the main characters are Peer and Hilde. Peer's main external conflict is him having to deal with Harald Silkenhair.Harald always harrases Peer and Peer is afraid that he might burst and fight Harald. Peer's internal conflict is thinking about what its like to be in the new world, and thinking if...more
Jaime
Peer and Hilde are a little more grown up in this story, and take on more grown up adventures. This isn't really a light read. It is entertaining and gripping, though, especially for a kids' book. Nothing has changed. Langrish keeps to her commitment to be true to the time period and myths she's writing about, and this time, the legends and mythology of native Americans is included in that commitment.

There's a lot in this book that could be called gruesome and horrific. But Langrish handles it i...more
Jakethackeray
I note now that this was not published before 2007, which means when I read this final installment to my sons on our annual summer holiday, my eldest son was 15!!! It wasn't usual for him to join storytime with his younger brother but this book was long overdue and much anticipated since we had begun the trilogy years before
Lovely memories of the entire saga!
Joel LeBlanc
Fantastic book! A really fresh mythical fantasy that is unlike anything else I have read. Vikings, house spirits, trolls, snow giants, and more! A wonderful look back in time to when Vikings traveled the world, and every culture, from Norway to North America, was steeped in superstition and magic. Langrish has gone to great lengths to research actual folklore and mythology from the various cultures portrayed in all three of her "Troll" novels, and it lends an authentic depth of atmosphere to the...more
Kate Forsyth
This is the third in Katherine Langrish’s Troll trilogy, which I have absolutely loved! The books are set in the world of the Vikings, a place where trolls skulk in the hills and Granny Green-teeth lurks at the bottom of the millpond. Katherine is a wonderful lyric writer who brings this world vividly to life without ever once letting the compelling pace flag. The three books are currently available in Australia in an abridged form as one complete book called West of the Moon. I’d recommend thes...more
J. Else
I felt this book really enhanced the series. Though I would have liked some magic from the world you get to know in the previous two books, I felt the descriptions were infinately more rich and really enhanced the experience. In this book, Hilde and Peer travel to "the New World." You get to experience magic from the Native Americans as well as the Norsk beliefs. A fun work of fiction, albeit with a slightly predictable ending. Good character development.
Maddy
I think this one was my favourite of the series. I loved how Katherine Languish introduced new characters and also developed the ones she already had. I also loved learning about the viking ships and myths and stuff. I think this book was very different to the others because it had a lot more gore and murder in it. It was a great read.
Daniel
Great conclusion of the troll trilogy. I wish there were more stories in this world Katherine has put together. I will miss the character's and the wonderful way the books brought out the lore within their daily lives.
Qing
This book was going for 2 bucks at Basement Books. TWO DOLLARS!!! I couldn't help but pick it up.^^^^Wasn't too bad. Interesting usage of viking myths and legends.
Rebekah W.
This is by far my favorite book of the troll series. It's entertaining, exciting, and you really feel for the main character. two thumbs up. ;)
Tiffany-Krystal Bristol
The troll series was fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I loved the ending it was just the way I had wanted it to end.
Hayley
a great third book and i thought that this was a lot better than troll fell and i loved seeing all these new characters.
Shaz Lewins
This was amazing! Sooo much better then the first one and it put the second book to shame!!!! These books are a must read.
Paul Hartzog
Not as good as the first two since it takes place in Vinland and not in Scandinavia (among other things).
♥Elisa♥
I REALLY liked the troll triology. It was great! All 3 of them deserve 5 stars
Sally
Dec 22, 2009 Sally marked it as to-read
I got this from Borders when it closed down it had an amazing 90%off!!
Shannon
Great conclusion to a wonderful series. Didn't want it to end!
jane
Interesting historical fantasy. Norse/viking stuff YA or JF
Bjorn-The Last Viking
I havent read it yet so I am going to hold the info ontill i am done
Tara
My favourite of the whole trilogy. It was more interesting
Amanda C
Great book!!!!! It was amazing!!!!!!
Karen
See my review for Troll Mill.
  • The Witches' Kitchen
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • Shadows on the Stars (The Great Tree of Avalon, #2)
  • Journey to the Fringe (Stone Mage Wars #1)
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • Jackie's Wild Seattle
  • Faerie Lord (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #4)
  • The Well Between The Worlds (Lyonesse, #1)
  • The Islands of the Blessed (Sea of Trolls, #3)
  • The Thief and the Beanstalk (Further Tales Adventures, #1)
  • Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)
  • Carbonel: The King of Cats (Carbonel, #1)
  • The Lost Island of Tamarind
  • 100% Wolf
  • The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio
  • Love Letters
  • The Summer Birds (Aviary Hall, #1)
  • The Inquisitor’s Apprentice
Troll Fell (Troll, #1) Troll Mill (Troll, #2) The Shadow Hunt West of the Moon (Troll, #1-3) Dark Angels