Start by marking “Animal Ingredients A to Z” as Want to Read:
Animal Ingredients A to Z

Animal Ingredients A to Z

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Animal Ingredients A to Z is the bible for vegetarians, vegans, and caring consumers. More and more, we find our everyday foods containing peculiar -ingredients—many of which are animal derived. As well as a comprehensive listing of animal ingredients, this easy-to-navigate guide contains supplemental information on vegan nutrition, food alternatives, and contact informati ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 100 pages
Published February 1st 2004 by AK Press (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Ingredients A to Z, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Ingredients A to Z

Greg
This review is for the first edition, which was printed in zine format. I read it when I was a vegetarian and sometimes vegan, and this book is great. If you ever thought you'd like to spend way more time in a grocery store than you do already, just reading ingredient labels, then this is for you. Once you read this you realize it's really difficult to avoid animal products, and you can feel really self-righteous after a two hour shopping trip knowing you're all animal friendly and shit.
Katy
Mar 06, 2008 Katy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegans
It's helpful, but I would prefer a different organization to make it a little less overwhelming. For example (in addition to the dictionary format), a shampoo section with the list of animal products which one is likely to find in shampoo. It would make the book thicker, but a bit more practical for shopping purposes. But it (or something like it) is a must have for vegans. I've heard you can buy the book for your ipod; maybe it's a little easier to use that way.
Plus, in the beginning of the boo
Peacegal
Here’s a dictionary of common and uncommon animal ingredients found in consumer products, designed to make vegan shopping easier. Entries range from “well, duh” (cod liver oil) to more obscure (depanthenol). I’ve always found listings like this more than a bit overwhelming. Unfortunately, many entries muddle things further with the caveat “may be from animal or plant sources.”

Sadly, animal slaughter is so integrated into every part of our society that it’s impossible to avoid all products of cru
Katey
Oct 28, 2010 Katey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: New-ish vegetarians/vegans
As a practicing vegetarian and half-ass vegan of some years, I already know about what to avoid. For the most part. I had this book on my shelf but never read it; I'm kind of glad I didn't read it earlier, as it can be so vague, since so many of the ingredients they list can be from a plant or animal source, it really isn't helpful. And if I was a vegan alcoholic, I would appreciate the fairly extensive section about vegan beer, wine, and liquor a lot more.

I would encourage any new vegetarian or
Kellyanne Lynch
An excellent resource for vegans and for people who want to know what's in their food and their cleaning and self care products
Beth
Feb 02, 2009 Beth rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Not very clear - many items listed could come from plant or animal sources, and there were no ideas or advice on how to determine which source an ingredient came from. The only advice was "avoid to be safe." No offense, but I'm already avoiding a lot due to vegetarianism and food allergies, so this is not helpful advice!
Miranda
A helpful and informative resource for those new to meat-free eating and those that have been veg for a while. I used to take it grocery shopping with me and I learned so much from this book. I highly recommend it to those who are interested in eating less animal products or going completely vegan.
Cynthia
Apr 14, 2008 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone.
Essential reference book for the compassionate shopper to have on hand at all time! Lots of great info - helps to bring awareness into all areas of your life.
Gg
awesome detailed. sensible book
Eva Becker
Feb 22, 2009 Eva Becker rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegans, aspiring vegans
Shelves: non-fiction
What would you do without it?
John
Recommends it for: Vegetarians/Vegans
Shelves: non-fiction
Handy dandy!
Abigail Dufault
Abigail Dufault marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Driftwood Maggie
Driftwood Maggie marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Alexia Babin
Alexia Babin marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
LadyOSP
LadyOSP marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Kendall Collins
Kendall Collins marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Ada
Ada marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Vegan Sourcebook
  • Obligate Carnivore: Cats, Dogs, and What it Really Means to be Vegan
  • Living among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarians' Survival Handbook
  • Making A Killing: The Political Economy of Animal Rights
  • Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money
  • That's Why We Don't Eat Animals: A Book About Vegans, Vegetarians, and All Living Things
  • Striking at the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism
  • Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights
  • The Inner World of Farm Animals: Their Amazing Social, Emotional, and Intellectual Capacities
  • Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately
  • Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • Eternal Treblinka