Start by marking “Animal Ingredients A to Z” as Want to Read:
Animal Ingredients A to Z

Animal Ingredients A to Z

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Animal Ingredients A to Z is the bible for vegetarians, vegans, and caring consumers. More and more, we find our everyday foods containing peculiar -ingredients—many of which are animal derived. As well as a comprehensive listing of animal ingredients, this easy-to-navigate guide contains supplemental information on vegan nutrition, food alternatives, and contact informati ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 100 pages
Published February 1st 2004 by AK Press (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Ingredients A to Z, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Ingredients A to Z

Greg
This review is for the first edition, which was printed in zine format. I read it when I was a vegetarian and sometimes vegan, and this book is great. If you ever thought you'd like to spend way more time in a grocery store than you do already, just reading ingredient labels, then this is for you. Once you read this you realize it's really difficult to avoid animal products, and you can feel really self-righteous after a two hour shopping trip knowing you're all animal friendly and shit.
Katy
Mar 06, 2008 Katy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegans
It's helpful, but I would prefer a different organization to make it a little less overwhelming. For example (in addition to the dictionary format), a shampoo section with the list of animal products which one is likely to find in shampoo. It would make the book thicker, but a bit more practical for shopping purposes. But it (or something like it) is a must have for vegans. I've heard you can buy the book for your ipod; maybe it's a little easier to use that way.
Plus, in the beginning of the boo
Peacegal
Here’s a dictionary of common and uncommon animal ingredients found in consumer products, designed to make vegan shopping easier. Entries range from “well, duh” (cod liver oil) to more obscure (depanthenol). I’ve always found listings like this more than a bit overwhelming. Unfortunately, many entries muddle things further with the caveat “may be from animal or plant sources.”

Sadly, animal slaughter is so integrated into every part of our society that it’s impossible to avoid all products of cru
Katey
Oct 28, 2010 Katey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: New-ish vegetarians/vegans
As a practicing vegetarian and half-ass vegan of some years, I already know about what to avoid. For the most part. I had this book on my shelf but never read it; I'm kind of glad I didn't read it earlier, as it can be so vague, since so many of the ingredients they list can be from a plant or animal source, it really isn't helpful. And if I was a vegan alcoholic, I would appreciate the fairly extensive section about vegan beer, wine, and liquor a lot more.

I would encourage any new vegetarian or
Kellyanne Lynch
An excellent resource for vegans and for people who want to know what's in their food and their cleaning and self care products
Beth
Feb 02, 2009 Beth rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Not very clear - many items listed could come from plant or animal sources, and there were no ideas or advice on how to determine which source an ingredient came from. The only advice was "avoid to be safe." No offense, but I'm already avoiding a lot due to vegetarianism and food allergies, so this is not helpful advice!
Miranda
A helpful and informative resource for those new to meat-free eating and those that have been veg for a while. I used to take it grocery shopping with me and I learned so much from this book. I highly recommend it to those who are interested in eating less animal products or going completely vegan.
Cynthia
Apr 14, 2008 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone.
Essential reference book for the compassionate shopper to have on hand at all time! Lots of great info - helps to bring awareness into all areas of your life.
Gg
awesome detailed. sensible book
Eva Becker
Feb 22, 2009 Eva Becker rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegans, aspiring vegans
Shelves: non-fiction
What would you do without it?
John
Recommends it for: Vegetarians/Vegans
Shelves: non-fiction
Handy dandy!
Cjb
Cjb marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Newfiekidd92
Newfiekidd92 marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Cailin
Cailin marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Jeanell
Jeanell marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Michael Arsenault
Michael Arsenault marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Hannah
Hannah added it
Oct 14, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Cait
Cait marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Kajot Be
Kajot Be marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
  • The Vegan Sourcebook
  • Making A Killing: The Political Economy of Animal Rights
  • Living among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarians' Survival Handbook
  • Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money
  • That's Why We Don't Eat Animals: A Book About Vegans, Vegetarians, and All Living Things
  • The Inner World of Farm Animals: Their Amazing Intellectual, Emotional and Social Capacities
  • Striking at the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism
  • Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights
  • Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals
  • Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately
  • Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It!  Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite
  • Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle