Start by marking “Love Letters of Great Women” as Want to Read:
Love Letters of Great Women

Love Letters of Great Women

Love Letters of Great Men was published to great success in November of 2008. It was a fantastic holiday hit that continued to sell well through Valentine’s Day. The demand was fueled by the fictional book’s presence in the hit film Sex and the City.

As a companion to Love Letters of Great Men, this anthology gives the other side of the story: the secret hopes and lives of
Published November 24th 2009 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Love Letters of Great Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Letters of Great Women

Ash Bruxvoort
Feb 28, 2010 Ash Bruxvoort rated it it was amazing
I have never read Love Letters of Great Men, but when I saw Love Letters of Great Women in the store I really could not pass it up. It was on the table for Valentine's Day. It had a pretty cover. Quite a bit of white space when I was looking for a quick read. And a quick look at the back flap assured me that I would find at least a few good letters in this collection. But what I found wasn't quite what I was expecting. In fact, I think it was better.

I was looking for a gushy romantic collection
Carole Yeaman
Mostly from British women, this small book includes short biographical notes and sampling of letters from 1399 to 1917. We know most of their names, but the biographies made me want to investigate all 11 of these lives in much greater detail. The letters were incredibly fawning and saccharine. Perhaps we need a bit of relief from our e-mail culture - who knows. I do wish some of the men's responses were included.
As well as some lesser known women, the letter writers include: Anne Boleyn, Emily D
Carlyn Brody
Apr 02, 2013 Carlyn Brody rated it it was ok
I bought this book in December during the busy Christmas season. It was a crowded house during December as my grandparents had come stay with us. My family decided to go the movies and I decided to skip the movies and go shopping instead. I wanted a little time to myself. So, I wandered around the shops and ate lunch. After going around the mall a few times I decided to buy some books from Books4less which is a bargain bookstore. Books4less buy surplus books from publishers and sell the books at ...more
Grace Harwood
Sep 18, 2013 Grace Harwood rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely collection of letters from famous women (made great by their husbands/marriages/or the children they gave birth to, is the sad fact presented to the reader by the editor) from 1399 up to the First world war. What it does show is how little we've changed really, in our essential ways of loving. In this collection there are exhortations to husbands (Anne Boleyn's to Henry VIII is fantastic), messages of support and strength (Empress Alexandra of Russia to Tsar Nicholas II - and lo ...more
Therese
Feb 14, 2013 Therese rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
I was really intrigued by this book because I really like history and I really love literature from the 1800’s, it’s quite different reading fiction from letters –it moves one more because the letters are from real people to real people. I must admit I cried, because some of the letters were so devoted, I laughed a lot of the women wit and I was deeply moved by how miserable some of these women life went. I learned quite a bit about romance and I kinda want to throw it at every guys’ head and sh ...more
Gamze Akgün
Jan 07, 2013 Gamze Akgün rated it liked it
Bu mektuplari yazan kadinlarin etkili ve kendi zmanlarinda buyuk kadinlar oldugu belli, yalniz mektuplarin cogu ask mektubu degildi, en azindan benim bekledigim tarzda olmadigini soyleyebilirim.. Bir de bu mektuplarin sahipleri kocalarini ve sevgililerini aldatmislar, bu ask degil ki..
Dana
Apr 18, 2014 Dana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Even though most of the letters are undeniably sweet, what made me down is the history--pre and post marriage--of these women. A good collection but did not coincide well with the author's (forgive the word...) amateur writing with attempts in sarcasm and humor.
Colleen
May 15, 2016 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Very very cute. Some were extremely sweet while others just seemed needy or crazy. Why is that? I thought if this was from a man it would be cute but since a woman's writing it it's kinda pathetic. I guess I'm the pathetic one for thinking that though.
Jun 26, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-letters
Not quite as good as Love letters of Great Men, strangely enough a lot of the letters seemed to be simply letters of great women as opposed to love letters. Again the best section was letters during the Great War.
Lenny
Jun 22, 2012 Lenny rated it it was amazing
lovely book, also read the other one some years ago.

"Verberg je ziel voor me zodat uj altijd kan geloven in de schoonheid ervan."
Lisa
Dec 29, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
It was an okay read for me. I dunno, I wasn't that moved by the letters, but I agree that some were very emotionally written.
Sn
Oct 29, 2012 Sn rated it liked it
Got this from my love as a present for my birthday this year, only got the chance to read it now. She's a great lover of mine.
Kristi
Dec 01, 2013 Kristi rated it it was ok
Not all love letters. But why don't ordinary people speak and write this eloquently anymore?
K8
An enjoyable read, though I think I liked the biographies more than the actual letters.
Marina JC
Marina JC marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Kristiana Sirenko
Kristiana Sirenko rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Kate Revtovich
Kate Revtovich marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Flávia Dias
Flávia Dias marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Rhian
Rhian is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2016
Loretta
Loretta marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Lebo Phosha
Lebo Phosha rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Reyna V
Reyna V marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Xogarcons
Xogarcons marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Biljana Petkovic
Biljana Petkovic rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Mila
Mila marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
yesmomothings
yesmomothings marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Lorena Blotz
Lorena Blotz rated it it was amazing
  • The Baby Merchant
  • The Flatiron: The New York Landmark and the Incomparable City That Arose with It
  • The Yamato Dynasty: The Secret History of Japan's Imperial Family
  • Three Messages and a Warning: Contemporary Mexican Short Stories of the Fantastic
  • The Genizah at the House of Shepher
  • Chicken Soup for the Coffee Lover's Soul: Celebrating the Perfect Blend
  • The Ordinary
  • Dark Cities Underground
  • Eva Peron: A Biography
  • Earth and Air (Tales of Elemental Spirits #3)
  • William Shakespeare: Complete Plays