Start by marking “Seduction Wears Sapphires (Jaded Gentleman, #2)” as Want to Read:
Seduction Wears Sapphires (Jaded Gentleman, #2)

Seduction Wears Sapphires (Jaded Gentleman #2)

New in the Jaded Gentlemen series

When Ashe Blackwell's grandfather challenges him to reform for a single social Season in London-or forfeit his inheritance-the rake agrees to the wager. But Ashe is assigned an unconventional chaperone: Miss Caroline Townsend, a young, independent, well-educated, American woman with beautiful eyes-and no patience for rogues.
Mass Market Paperback, 271 pages
Published August 3rd 2010 by Berkley Sensation

To ask other readers questions about Seduction Wears Sapphires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seduction Wears Sapphires

Amy
Jul 02, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fv-review
Over the past year I have discovered a love for historical romance and stumbled upon another little gem, Seduction Wears Sapphires, by Renee Bernard. Although this is the second book in the Jaded Gentlemen series, it can completely stand alone. This was my first read of Ms. Bernard's and given the genre and overall style, it will not be my last. What a refreshing new take on two people who from first sight are determined to detest each other, but end up falling head over heels for one another.

As
Eastofoz
Rave reviews for this book and I can’t understand why, apart from the old adage of “different strokes for different folks”.

It starts off well-enough and with one of my favorite themes in romance: a blistering love/hate between a couple forced together . Caroline Townsend from Boston sets off to England to chaperone a notorious rake Ashe Blackwell at the request of his grandfather –I forget how she’s related to the guy to come across this “opportunity” but she does. She’s as poor as a church mou
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
May 20, 2013 Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* rated it really liked it
Entertaining, romantic, sexy and funny!

I just loved this second book in the Jaded Gentlemen series. Ms Bernard delights with a winning combination of unforgettable characters, lively plot, sparkling dialogue and some sizzling hot love scenes.

I love Ashe… such a complex, appealing, sexy rogue. His time in India left him a changed man... not only haunted by his experiences as a prisoner but also by memories of a love affair that ended tragically. Drowning in a hedonistic lifestyle seems the perf
Bookaholics
Aug 06, 2010 Bookaholics rated it really liked it
Seduction Wears Sapphires by Renee Bernard
Historical Romance- Aug 3rd 2010
4 Stars

Seduction Wears Sapphires is written by Renee Bernard. It’s about an English rake and the independent American woman who is assigned as his chaperone. Ashe Blackwell comes back from India to carry on his wild reputation, when his grandfather gives him an ultimatum. Either reform for one social season in London, or forfeit his inheritance. Miss Caroline Townsend is brought from America to follow Ashe to every social
Isalys
Jul 12, 2010 Isalys rated it really liked it
*Note: Read and reviewed for The Season for Romance.

Bernard gives us a sweet & sassy love story between a spoiled Englishman and his unassuming yet captivating American chaperon.

Ashe Blackwell has changed. Once focused and well-mannered, he has now become your typical rake and his grandfather has had enough of it. What his grandfather doesn’t understand is that Ashe’s lifestyle is his way of forgetting the painful memories of his capture in India some years before. His grandfather makes him
Sheila
Aug 25, 2010 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the second book of The Jaded Gentlemen Series, author Renee Bernard takes readers into the life and heart of Ashe Blackwell. His life, his soul was left scarred by his captivity in the dungeons of India. His attempts to deaden the memories have lead to a life of every conceivable vice.

His grandfather, the family patriarch, has no idea of his past trauma. He is only aware of the hedonistic life his grandson leads. All he wants is for his grandson to become a mature gentleman and accept respon
RomanceNovelNews.com
Sep 12, 2010 RomanceNovelNews.com rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Megan Duncan for Romance Novel News

Caroline Townsend has crossed the Atlantic to play chaperone to one of the most notorious rakes in London.

Penniless and without family support, she accepts the high paying position offered by a friend of her late grandfather. The money earned would secure her future and her dream of social reform.

Ashe Blackwell promises his grandfather he will exercise “gentlemanly restraint” for the rest of the season. He reluctantly agrees to a chaperone, but he
ies
Aug 11, 2016 ies rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2016
Anggota Jaded yg ke 2 - Ashe Blackwell, kaga disebutin si die gelarnya apaan.. tp yg jelas tajir dan heir gt.. Nah sebelum India, Ashe ini tipikal rake pada umumnya lah.. hobi hura2 dst, sampe kakeknya kesel (ortunya ude mati) trs dibeliin pangkat resimen gt dan dikirim ke India. Di India, Ashe jatuh cinta sama warga setempat dan percintaan terlarang pun terjadi.. malang gadis Indianya di bakar keluarganya dan Ashe dimasukkan ke penjara (itu pas ketemu sama Jaded yg laen). 2th di penjara, die ka ...more
Lover of Romance
Caroline has been sent a request from her grandfather's friend and business partner, to help him in a venture, and in return he will pay her a good amount of money, so that she could live the life she has always wanted, instead of teaching. Ashe has recently returned from India and suffered being imprisoned and ever since he has returned only wants to forget and put his past behind him. So he has lived a life in London has a full on rake, gambling and taking his pleasure wherever he can find it. ...more
Austine (NovelKnight)
An American comes to town in this historical romance set in London (as many of them tend to be). Caroline Townsend, hailing from Boston, comes to the city across the pond to fulfill a request by an English nobleman, a friend of her late grandfather. The task? Chaperone his grandson to make sure he is well-behaved for the social season.

As a regency novel, this story worked well. I loved the concept of the adult man being tailed by this foreign woman who fits into his world about as well as a shee
MJ
I don't 'aggressively dislike' this book, as has happened with some I've read... but it's overall lacking a lot. The India thing is never truly explained, and I guess that's cause she got 6 other guys to write about. It's def historically challenged, I mean no one batted an eye with a unmarried woman travelling by herself and then moving in with a notorious bad boy with no supervision, and I have trouble believeing 'his ward' would be acceptable for anyone who is not directly and openly a very c ...more
Addictive
The second installment of The Jaded Gentleman series sees Miss Caroline Townsend in a terrible predicament. She has come to London to play chaperone to one of the worst rakes in England history. Penniless and without family, she accepts the job given to her by an old family friend to accompany his grandson about society and make sure he does not create any more scandals and not bed another woman for the rest of the season
Ashe Blackwell has come back from India a changed man. Old demons and ghos
Tonileg
Historical English romance between a titled rich useless fellow and a smart strong American orphan.
This is a stand alone story although we do meet Darius an other Jaded member.
Mr. Ashe Blackwell is a rich wastrel living off his family until he has one London season to prove that he has worth or he is going to lose his inheritance. There is one little bit of small print... he has a chaperone, in the form of a beautiful American Miss Caroline Townsend.
The usual witty banter and romance follows as
Michelle
Apr 21, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
For me, this was one of those "don't get anything else done until I find out what happens in the story" book.

Ashe and Caroline. His grandfather hires Caroline (she's an American) to chaperone Ashe for a season to ensure that he doesn't get into any trouble. If he can't stay out of trouble, his inheritance goes to his evil, smarmy cousin.

There were a few grammatical/typographical errors, but not enough to completely irritate me.

I found the premise for this book to be refreshingly different. A wom
Marisa
Aug 11, 2010 Marisa rated it really liked it
Every month there are many historical romances to choose from. What makes one stand out above the rest? For me it’s the tone and timbre of the book. The voice if you will. And I found the author, Ms. Bernard’s voice to be rich and nuanced. She moves the story line along with both dialogue and an interesting technique of highlighting the characters’ thoughts. It allows us, the reader, to know exactly what they are thinking and feeling and gives the book an almost voyeuristic feel. Ms. Bernard als ...more
Laianna
Jun 27, 2011 Laianna rated it really liked it
Though I didn't find it quite up to par with the first of this series, Seduction Wears Sapphires still has its share of steamy goodness.

The characters of Caroline and Ashe were refreshing, but I found myself tiring of Caroline's constant tactlessness. To be honest, I found her blunt comments more than unattractive, and even hoped that Ashe would get with Margot, the vengeful prostitute, rather than her. Oh, well. It was still enough to keep me turning the pages and again I have to praise Ms. Ber
Sommertime
Apr 23, 2016 Sommertime rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
While the writing is excellent, the first half was the best of this book. I really enjoyed the banter between Ashe and Caroline. The scene where Caroline charms the old lady instead of becoming a disaster (much to Ashe's dismay) was great! And Caroline was very intelligent and had an answer for everything.

But be the second half I felt the book was over-long and I skimmed. The love scenes were uninspired and bland. The book just lacked the spark I need. It was worth reading but won't be on my fa
Judith
Jul 29, 2010 Judith rated it really liked it
A very good second-in-the-series novel with lots of interesting and often comical repartee, a very good plot line, strong and interesting characters, and a somewhat surprising ending. Renee Barnard is a ver good writer and she has given historical romance fans a worthy offering. As the heroine is an American colonist from Boston the author has embraced some of the fascination of the English with America as well as some of the prejudice. Above all, it is a really nice love story.
Laylah
Sep 30, 2010 Laylah rated it really liked it
It's quite refreshing to be reading a straight historical romance for once, without all the spies and the suspenses that seem to be the present trend in the genre.

I can definitely say Caroline makes this book. She's one of the most delightful heroines I've read in years. Any worthy hero should have fallen for her and her remarkable character alone without all the business about the heroine's sleep walking habit which I find a bit of a gimmick. For that, 4 1/2 stars.
Lizzie
Jul 16, 2010 Lizzie rated it liked it
I typically don't like Regency romance novels, but Renee Bernard's "Seduction Wears Sapphires" was surprisingly decent. Yes, the wager was ridiculous, and the conflict between Caroline and Ashe was completely unrealistic, but Bernard did a good job expressing the passion between the two characters. The ending lacked that "umph" (for lack of a better word) but it was sweet.

So while this was not my favorite book, it enjoyable.
Lin #Historical lover...❤️
Mar 31, 2016 Lin #Historical lover...❤️ rated it really liked it
Weakest book in the series.

I adore this series. Passionate and enthralling. The mystery is dragged throughout the series but not in a tedious or boring way. I enjoyed every single installment.

Book 1 was so amazing that book 2 disappointed me. However the subsequent books built up enough steam to have this series among my all time favorites!!!! Each story was unique and enthralling. I cannot say I loved it enough!!!!!
Greymalkin
Apr 22, 2012 Greymalkin rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I did not expect to like this as much as I did. The plot is pretty much non-existent. But the banter between the two characters was hilarious and snappy, and I really enjoyed seeing a character be frumpy and not a social clutz. That's sadly not too common. The sex scenes were better than the ones in the other two Jaded books I've read (#1 and #3), as the characters seemed to actually be enjoying themselves more if that makes any sense. Not a brilliant book but entertaining.
Regina
May 28, 2012 Regina rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Completely dull. I wanted to hear more about Ashe's history while in prison in India and the Jaded. Instead I got a lot of cat and mouse exchange between Ashe and Caroline. And the whole conversation during her sleepwalking episode had me rolling my eyes in disbelief. Come on, I can better spend my time reading stories that are significantly more entertaining. This was a "did not finish" for me. 2 stars.
Kat
Sep 30, 2010 Kat rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this second installment of the Jaded Gentlemen series. I absolutely loved Ashe, though I wanted to slap him sometimes. It was a long wait for the sex, but well worth it! Ms. Bernard knows how to write a sexy love scene. My only complaint is I would like to learn even more about the time our Jaded Gentlemen spent in India.
Lin #Historical lover...❤️
Nice but not as good as book 1

If I read is before book one in the series I may have given it 5 stars. But my excitement and anticipation was so high as to leave me disappointed. Book 1 Revenge wears rubies was off the charts awesome.... So much so that I paid for all the other books in this series at once. I'm hoping book 3 restores my hope.
Lisa
I read it a week ago and couldn't tell you anything without checking the back page for a reminder. That tells either how compelling it really isn't, or how many damn books I read (go with the latter and give it a shot, ymmv).
Slow Start, Happy Ending

Not a quick read for the first half of this book but Caroline & Ashe's banter is entertaining and their chemistry obvious. Maybe not one I'll read again but not a waste of a few hours either.
Karen
Apr 21, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A chaperone or a ward? Caroline is in London to help her grandfather's friend. Ashe is in a wager with his grandfather to b respectable for the season... Will his cousin inherit? Or will Ashe and Caroline get through the season without scandal?
Sandi Blaylock
Apr 20, 2016 Sandi Blaylock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

This is one of the best books I've read in quite a while. It was just the perfect story and the love thrown in. It was something that grew. I'm sorry it's over. That's a good sign when I don't want it to end.
Linda Kyle
May 01, 2016 Linda Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

While it is economical to only read books offered in a Kindle Unlimited subscription, some authors are well worth the price of their books. And Renee Bernard is just such a find!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 03, 2015 08:38AM
  • The Perfect Scandal (Scandal, #3)
  • A Season of Seduction (James Family, #3)
  • My Reckless Surrender
  • The Second Seduction of a Lady (The Wild Quartet, #0.5)
  • His Brother's Bride (Banks Brothers Bride, #4)
  • To Seduce A Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals #3)
  • To Sin With a Scoundrel (Circle of Sin, #1)
  • Secrets of a Proper Countess
  • Wicked Becomes You
  • Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)
  • The Accidental Wedding (Devil Riders, #4)
  • The Naked Viscount (Naked Nobility, #5)
  • Scoundrel's Kiss (Medieval, #2)
  • The Seduction (Georgian, #1)
  • With Seduction in Mind (Girl Bachelors, #4)
  • The Most Improper Miss Sophie Valentine (Sydney Dovedale, #1)
  • Lessons from a Scandalous Bride (Forgotten Princesses #2)
  • Our Wicked Mistake (Notorious Bachelors, #2)
What in the world is a retired Navy chaplain’s daughter doing writing scorching hot historical romances and paranormal graphic novels? Renee Bernard is applying a great education from traveling all over the world to story telling and doing her best to keep her father proud. Truthfully, her father is her number one fan, even though he has sworn never to read a single word of her books (a vow he has ...more
More about Renee Bernard...

Jaded Gentleman (6 books)
  • Revenge Wears Rubies (Jaded Gentleman, #1)
  • Ecstasy Wears Emeralds (Jaded Gentleman, #3)
  • Passion Wears Pearls (Jaded Gentleman, #4)
  • Obsession Wears Opals (Jaded Gentleman, #5)
  • Desire Wears Diamonds (Jaded Gentleman, #6)