Start by marking “Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started” as Want to Read:
Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started

Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started

Handmade soap is inexpensive, soft on skin, and makes a great gift for anyone. Readers will learn the basic four-oil soap recipe, which can then be enhanced with additives such as oatmeal, fragrance oils, colored swirls, two-tone nuggets, and moisturizing butters. Charts on saponification, base oils, and luxury oils make creating unique soap recipes easy.Hundreds of step-b ...more
Spiral-bound, 132 pages
Published September 15th 2009 by Stackpole Books

To ask other readers questions about Basic Soap Making, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basic Soap Making

Hilary
Nov 08, 2012 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafting
This is a great introduction to cold process soap-making. There are plenty of step-by-step instructions with accompanying photos, good basic recipes and then some intermediate ones with suggestions for you to tweak them to suit your own needs, plus information on making your own mold, storing and packaging your soaps. And she doesn't neglect safety instructions. You might think the first part is very scary, but you mustn't treat lye casually! The instructions show how easy it is, as long as it's ...more
Cathleen
Mar 02, 2013 Cathleen rated it it was amazing
I have always wanted to learn how to make soap. This book is a great resource for figuring out if it truly is something you want to do.

I thought making soap would be harder/difficult then it actually is. Thanks so much to the author, Elizabeth Letcavage for making this book available on Amazon. Because of this book I will be trying my hand at soap-making :)
jagr9563
Pretty decent and accurate information with a few recipes.
Kjirstin
Aug 06, 2013 Kjirstin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really excellent series of photo-accompanied tutorials on the end-to-end procedures involved in making cold-processed soap. I'd recommend reading it on a screen capable of color. Since I haven't made soap before this was just right for my level of expertise. It's probably no different than what you could cobble together from various sources online, but it's all in one place and easy to follow.

Definitely worth reading if you're considering getting into making your own soaps!
Shannon
Mar 24, 2011 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Excellent instructional manual and reference guide. Very clear step-by-step instructions with clear photos. Serveral recipes to try and all the tools to create your own recipes. The coil binding makes it easy to have on the counter as you work. Durable, wipeable pages. Highly recommended for any novice soapmaker.
Andrea
Sep 16, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: soap-making
I think I am ready to start. Despite my low confidence in my abilty to do this, this book has given me the assurance than anyone can make soap. We will see about that. But for now heres to cold process soap making and yummy scents. Now I just need my Nathan to build my soap molds for me. yeah.
Andrea
Jan 22, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it
Very Nice. I got the digital copy for free on Amazon. The pictures truly set this book apart. Most soapmaking books do not contain enough pictures, especially for beginners, but this book describes step by step what each process looks like. Perfect for beginners!
Kate
Jan 18, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-ec
Great photo-heavy guide to making soap. My only quibble is that some of us weirdos don't own a microwave, so it would have been helpful to have stovetop instructions, but it's not that big of a deal. I think I can figure it out on my own. (Famous last words.)
Francine
Apr 07, 2013 Francine rated it really liked it
This is a great handbook if you are learning how to make soap from scratch.

It contains lots of tips helpful to the beginner soap maker as well as ideas for wrapping.
Feb 21, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I read this cover-to-cover in one sitting. It is very informative. I thought it would be fun to make soap, but I don't think working with lye is the hobby for me.
Suzanne
Feb 28, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This book seems to make cold-processed soap an easy to do project because of the great step-by-step instructions and photos.
Susan
Jul 27, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Good coverage of the basics. Descriptions of various oils and their qualities were useful.
Dana
Sep 19, 2016 Dana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012, craft, own
Read my review of Basic Soap Making .
Mysterious
Sep 09, 2012 Mysterious rated it really liked it
Detailed but user-friendly.
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
kwgarden
kwgarden rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Franqui Jones
Franqui Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
MJL
MJL rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Vy Lê
Vy Lê marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Kim Walton
Kim Walton rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Marian
Marian rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Cathey Kendry
Cathey Kendry marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
rosie robinson
rosie robinson marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
cheryl j ziemba
cheryl j ziemba rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Rscozz
Rscozz rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
TRESA A. REED
TRESA A. REED rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
  • Milk Soapmaking: The Smart and Simple Guide to Making Lovely Milk Soap From Any Animal or Plant Milk: The Smart and Simple Guide to Making Lovely Milk ... Milk, or Any Other Animal or Plant Milk
  • Clean It! A to Z Guide of How to Clean Your Home
  • The Natural Soap Book: Making Herbal and Vegetable-Based Soaps
  • The Beginners Guide To Knitting - Learn How To Knit The Easy Way
  • It's Only Natural: 200 natural cleaning product recipes to have
  • Why Leadership Sucks: Fundamentals of Level 5 Leadership and Servant Leadership
  • CK-12 Earth Science
  • The Instant Genius
  • FREE 25 Language Phrasebook
  • How to Sew: Basics
  • The Everything Soapmaking Book: Recipes and Techniques for Creating Colorful and Fragrant Soaps
  • Duct Tape Bags
  • The Guilt Free 3
  • Winning the Clutter War
  • Taking Flight!: Master the DISC Styles to Transform Your Career, Your Relationships... Your Life
  • The Low-Maintenance Raised Bed Gardening Book
  • Organic Gardening Beginner's Manual
  • Garden Guide - A No Nonsense, No PhD, No Fuss Guide to Great Gardens with Hand-Holding How To's for Beginners and Straightforward Instruction for Advanced Gardeners