Start by marking “Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started” as Want to Read:
Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started

Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Hundreds of step-by-step, full-color photographs illustrate exactly how to make cold-process soap Instructions on molding soap, cutting bars, creating original recipes, packaging gifts, and more Includes a chapter on constructing a soap mold, liner, and cutter at home Handmade soap is inexpensive, soft on skin, and makes a great gift for anyone. Readers will learn the basi ...more
Spiral-bound, 132 pages
Published September 15th 2009 by Stackpole Books

To ask other readers questions about Basic Soap Making, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basic Soap Making

Hilary
This is a great introduction to cold process soap-making. There are plenty of step-by-step instructions with accompanying photos, good basic recipes and then some intermediate ones with suggestions for you to tweak them to suit your own needs, plus information on making your own mold, storing and packaging your soaps. And she doesn't neglect safety instructions. You might think the first part is very scary, but you mustn't treat lye casually! The instructions show how easy it is, as long as it's ...more
Cathleen
I have always wanted to learn how to make soap. This book is a great resource for figuring out if it truly is something you want to do.

I thought making soap would be harder/difficult then it actually is. Thanks so much to the author, Elizabeth Letcavage for making this book available on Amazon. Because of this book I will be trying my hand at soap-making :)
jagr9563
Pretty decent and accurate information with a few recipes.
Kjirstin
This is a really excellent series of photo-accompanied tutorials on the end-to-end procedures involved in making cold-processed soap. I'd recommend reading it on a screen capable of color. Since I haven't made soap before this was just right for my level of expertise. It's probably no different than what you could cobble together from various sources online, but it's all in one place and easy to follow.

Definitely worth reading if you're considering getting into making your own soaps!
Shannon
Excellent instructional manual and reference guide. Very clear step-by-step instructions with clear photos. Serveral recipes to try and all the tools to create your own recipes. The coil binding makes it easy to have on the counter as you work. Durable, wipeable pages. Highly recommended for any novice soapmaker.
Andrea
I think I am ready to start. Despite my low confidence in my abilty to do this, this book has given me the assurance than anyone can make soap. We will see about that. But for now heres to cold process soap making and yummy scents. Now I just need my Nathan to build my soap molds for me. yeah.
Andrea
Very Nice. I got the digital copy for free on Amazon. The pictures truly set this book apart. Most soapmaking books do not contain enough pictures, especially for beginners, but this book describes step by step what each process looks like. Perfect for beginners!
Katie
Great photo-heavy guide to making soap. My only quibble is that some of us weirdos don't own a microwave, so it would have been helpful to have stovetop instructions, but it's not that big of a deal. I think I can figure it out on my own. (Famous last words.)
Francine
This is a great handbook if you are learning how to make soap from scratch.

It contains lots of tips helpful to the beginner soap maker as well as ideas for wrapping.
I read this cover-to-cover in one sitting. It is very informative. I thought it would be fun to make soap, but I don't think working with lye is the hobby for me.
Suzanne
This book seems to make cold-processed soap an easy to do project because of the great step-by-step instructions and photos.
Susan
Good coverage of the basics. Descriptions of various oils and their qualities were useful.
Mysterious
Detailed but user-friendly.
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Lora Allen
Lora Allen marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Brittany Tucker
Brittany Tucker marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Laurel Heavner
Laurel Heavner marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Nov 22, 2014
Nathan Byrd
Nathan Byrd marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Smart Soapmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade Soap Quickly, Safely, and Reliably: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade ... Soaps for Family, Friends, and Yourself
  • The Natural Soap Book: Making Herbal and Vegetable-Based Soaps
  • The Everything Soapmaking Book: Recipes and Techniques for Creating Colorful and Fragrant Soaps
  • Duct Tape Bags
  • How to Drive a Tank and Other Everyday Tips for the Modern Gentleman
  • The American Frugal Housewife: Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy
  • The Guilt Free 3
  • Organic Gardening Beginner's Manual
  • 50 Keys To Better Photography!
  • FREE 25 Language Phrasebook
  • Get Organized! Your 12 Month Home Clutter Killer Guide: Organizing The House, Decluttering And How To Clean Your Home To Perfection (Gleam Guru)
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • The Brendan Voyage: A Leather Boat Tracks the Discovery of America by the Irish Sailor Saints
  • Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome
  • Things My Grandmother Taught Me About Organized Living
  • The Organized Kitchen: Keep Your Kitchen Clean, Organized, And Full Of Good Food and Save Time, Money, (And Your Sanity) Every Day!
  • Knits for Nerds: 30 Projects: Science Fiction, Comic Books, Fantasy
  • 8 Types Of Natural Light That Will Add Drama To Your Photographs
Natural Soap Making Basic Leathercrafting: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started Garden Crafts: Great Accessories for Outdoor Living Basic Leathercrafting: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started (How To Basic Series)