Start by marking “You Wish” as Want to Read:
You Wish

You Wish

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,979 Ratings  ·  472 Reviews
Kayla McHenry's sweet sixteen sucks! Her dad left, her grades dropped, and her BFF is dating the boy Kayla's secretly loved for years. Blowing out her candles, Kayla thinks: I wish my birthday wishes actually came true. Because they never freakin' do.

Kayla wakes the next day to a life-sized, bright pink My Little Pony outside her window. Then a year's supply of gumballs ar
Published August 5th 2010 by Razorbill (first published July 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about You Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Wish

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareLinger by Maggie StiefvaterSpirit Bound by Richelle Mead
YA Books of 2010 & 2011 I'm LIVING to read!!
100th out of 1,136 books — 6,298 voters
Spirit Bound by Richelle MeadLast Sacrifice by Richelle MeadMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareThe Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong
YA Novels of 2010
95th out of 626 books — 2,786 voters

More lists with this book...

Ash
Oct 16, 2010 Ash rated it it was amazing
Okay, I know that you're probably rolling your eyes at the bright pink cover, and trust me I was totally there. I get it, I really do. The premise of the books just sounded too hilarious to pass up though and I surprisingly found an actual depth to this book that was totally unexpected. I’m rounding this up from a 4.5, and I’m so glad that I didn’t let my sarcastic and suspicious tendency keep me from reading it.

Quick Overview: Kayla has just had the worst sweet sixteen party possible. Her best
Sarah Maas
Mar 25, 2010 Sarah Maas rated it it was amazing
Not only is YOU WISH charming, heartbreaking, and hilarious, it's also one of those books you literally cannot put down. It's definitely a book I'm going to reread again and again--I loved every moment! It's absolutely wonderful.
Alexandria Hill
Sep 01, 2010 Alexandria Hill rated it it was amazing
"Be careful what you wish for."
Ariana
Mar 20, 2015 Ariana rated it liked it
Shelves: by-color-pink
I wish my birthday wishes actually came true. Because they neverfreakin' do.

Don't know about you, but I remember being very silly while making a wish for my birthdays.

A barbie-alike friend? Totally me!
A room full of chocolate and other sweets? Oh, boy.. I might still want to make this wish. Add some ice-cream and some M&Ms and please make it true :P
A kiss from my crush? You bet!
Big boobs? Ha haa, that too!

I remember wishing for a "Saylor Moon" costume (in fact Jupiter was my favorite, so a '
Princess Bookie
Mar 30, 2010 Princess Bookie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2010
My Thoughts: I first saw this book months ago. Probably the moment it was put up on amazon. I knew I had to read it and it would be one of my most anticipated books of 2010. We meet Kayla who is just a normal girl, not popular and not unpopular, just like most teenage girls; they are just themselves and fit in a little bit of everywhere. I could instantly identify with her. She has a best friend since forever and than there is the super dreamy guy named Ben she's madly in love with. Of course he ...more
Abbie
Nov 04, 2014 Abbie rated it liked it
What would you do if all the birthday wishes you've ever made in your life come true? Me? I'd probably be a 5"9 genius/billionaire/actress married to Daniel Radcliffe (I had weird wishes -- ambitious, but weird).

Kayla McHenry had eccentric wishes of her own and when her 16th birthday came she got the surprise of her life. She had a real-life My Little Pony, a Raggedy Ann bff, and a Ken doll boyfriend to name a few. Her crazy and all out hilarious scenarios were a good reading experience.

I did l
Gray :)
Mar 31, 2011 Gray :) rated it it was amazing
Looking at the cover of this book (which is pretty much in pink), I thought it would all be about a young girl and her childish adventures. And in some way, I was actually right. But it was deeper than that... So much deeper.

You Wish is about the whirlwind of events in Kayla McHenry' s life just because of her Sweet Sixteen's birthday wish which in turn made her past birthday wishes come true (well actually, not all, only 14, it surely doesn't include her wish when she was one). Now she has to g
Nomes
Oct 18, 2010 Nomes rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
You Wish is an addictive, wild and quirky read that cleverly manages to explore some meaningful themes under the madness.

You Wish was always unexpected - anything could happen with the wishes and the way they cropped up in Kayla's life was so creative. It really felt like Mandy Hubbard had a blast while writing this, letting her imagination go wild. She wreaked havoc on poor Kayla with so many cringe-worthy and hilarious situations.

Despite the craziness of the wishes - it did have me thinking ab
Jenna Friebel
Jun 30, 2011 Jenna Friebel rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I read this synopsis and immediately put a hold on it at the library. I thought it sounded original and hilarious. I had high hopes for it, so as soon as I picked it up, I dove into it.

And that's when it started to go downhill.

Let me say first off, overall, I found this book enjoyable. However, it just did not live up to the expectations I had after reading the synopsis. The main character, Kayla, wasn't very likeable in my opinion. She has this whole cynical grunge thing going on which I would
Greta
Nov 04, 2012 Greta rated it liked it
Shelves: food-challenge
Brief summary:
Kayla is a bit of misfit, cynical and disenchanted. When her sixteenth birthday party is a disaster, she makes a wish that all her wishes actually would come true. Each day for the next two weeks she receives one of her past birthday wishes. These include everything from suddenly knowing perfect Italian to having the ability to turn into a mermaid.
Kayla lives in fear of her final wish coming true, the one she made on her 15th birthday that Ben would kiss her. Ben is her b
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Andrea for TeensReadToo.com

In YOU WISH by Mandy Hubbard, Kayla is not excited about her sixteenth birthday - at all. Life is not happy right now: her dad has left, her best friend is dating the boy she secretly likes, and her grades are not good.

So when it's time to blow out her birthday candles, she made an impossible wish - for all her past birthday wishes to come true.

Little did she know that the impossible was about to happen! She had to stop the wishes before they all came true,
Jenni
Jul 15, 2014 Jenni rated it really liked it
I quickly started and finished this book today in not long a time at all. Personally, it was sweet and funny and I loved the way all the disasterous moments added up in the end. However there was a more serious side of the book when the main character (Kayla) realised that she'd been letting other people change her life too much, and in return, she had been cutting off her relationship with her best friend. I loved Raggedy 'Ann' and Ken, who were perfect additions to the story (view spoiler) ...more
Ms. Yingling
Aug 12, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Kayla is having a hard sixteenth birthday, in part because she has a huge crush on her best friend Nicole's boyfriend Ben. Nicole skips her party, a huge affair that Kayla's party planner mother insists on throwing despite Kayla's objections, and things go wrong all night. When the time comes to blow out the candles on her cake, she wishes "I wish all my birthday wishes actually came true. Because they never freakin' do."

Well, now they do, from all her previous birthdays. Her Raggedy Ann doll co
Tina
Sep 13, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, contemporary, ya
Original post at One More Page

Totally honest moment: I know I said I hardly buy books because of their cover, but the main reason why I wanted to have this book when I saw it is because of the pink. This is probably the brightest book in my shelf right now, and I'm pretty sure my guy friends would not get this book because of that cover (unless you believe that real men wear...er, read pink-covered books?). But I just love it. The pink, the cupcake, the pony -- it's like a little girl's dream bi
Kerleisha
Jul 30, 2010 Kerleisha rated it liked it
When I got this book, I was so excited to read it. I was ready for a light read. However, I was a little disappointed with this read. I'll say now that I seem to be in the minority for this read. I'll admit it is a fun read, but it was a bit too fantastical for me.
I will say that I did appreciate Kayla. Going through all of her wishes in only a matter of days, she had to develop rather quickly. It made it really easy for me to understand her. She also had a likable spunk, which worked well in t
Mith
Holy multiplying gumballs, Batman! This book was SO MUCH FUN!

16-year old Kayla has a problem - all the birthday wishes she ever made are coming true.

It all starts with a frosted, four-tiered, pink birthday cake where, out of frustration, Kayla makes an impromptu Dear-God-My-Life-Sucks-Cut-Me-Some-Slack wish. A wish that somehow makes all her birthday wishes so far, come true.

First, a kicking and breathing, hot-pink 'My Little Pony' appears in her backyard, complete with an ice cream cone ta
Shauna
Jan 20, 2012 Shauna rated it liked it

Oh God. I actually laughed till I cried at one point, and how often does that really happen? Read this for the complete and utter fail that is Kayla trying to deal with the fallout of fourteen years of birthday wishes coming true. A taste:

Just before I flip the shower on, I turn around and happen to glimpse myself in the mirror.And let out a bloodcurdling scream.
Oh. Mio. Dio.
Boobs.I have boobs.
I clamp my hand over my mouth and stare, my eyes wider than they’ve ever been, at my chest. I
Shanyn (Chick Loves Lit)
Apr 28, 2010 Shanyn (Chick Loves Lit) rated it it was amazing
As soon as I saw the cover for You Wish, I knew I wanted to read it. I'm into cupcakes, My Little Ponies, and birthdays, so this cover stole my heart.

After I read the summary, I wanted to read it even more! It sounded like an awesome, light, fun read.

And the verdict is:

YAY!

You Wish may seem like it's going to be all fluff and predictable, but the plot (a girl's wishes from her past birthdays coming true, for those of you that did not read the summary) kept me guessing (and squealing when I found
Gabrielle
May 02, 2015 Gabrielle rated it liked it
actual rating:3.5 i really enjoyed this!! definitely one of the funniest books I've ever read i lost count how many times i rolled over laughing
Angel / YA rules!/
Nov 12, 2012 Angel / YA rules!/ rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-delight
i thoroughly enjoyed this book.

it reminded me so much of my childhood. the good thing about it is the moral that comes after. it's refreshing.

it's also exciting to find out what the next wish will be.

i like that although it was a happy ending it wasn't overly done. it still had the right component to make it feel realistic (the ending, not the wishes).

overall, i highly recommend this book especially to anyone who also wants to revisit their own childhood.
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Best Part:
Cute wishes!
Worst Part: Clean ending
Thoughts Had: GUMBALLSSS; boobs hehe; SIGH

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
n/a
Recommending: yah

Short Review: Authors please take note, YOU
Brenda Lane
Nov 06, 2015 Brenda Lane rated it it was amazing
This was one of those few books that have touched me deeply, which is funny since this is supposed to be a funny quirky light book.

This book starts off in our main character's birthday Kayla (fun fact I actually read this on my b-day, see what I did there?) and she's dreading the sweet sixteen party her mother is throwing that night and as she expected the party turns out to be a complete disaster but at the end of the night when It's time to blow the candles Kayla wishes all of her birthday wis
Sara Shalash
Feb 11, 2011 Sara Shalash rated it really liked it
You Wish has to be one of the funnest, cutest, quirky books I've ever read. The insane humor and interesting concept made it a perfect read to lighten up your mood. Romance and some more serious events balance out the fun, turning You Wish into a perfect read. Before picking this one up, I expected a predictable fluffy read, but it surprised me in more than one way.

Hubbard creates an average teen named Kayla. She doesn't care what anyone else thinks and is just herself. She also has a great pers
Krystle
Jun 09, 2012 Krystle rated it really liked it
Oh gosh. This book had me laughing hysterically more than once. It’s so funny!

All right, I’ll admit it. The real reason I didn’t want to read this book was because it sounded like those fluffy, sappy, cheesy books that I got tired of in middle school and the cover is just drenched in pink. I hate pink! Way too sparkly and girly for me. I’m more of a blue or red person, and if I wanted some brightness to show my joy I’ll go with yellow.
The pure randomness in this book is what made it for me. Com
Alyssa hoffmaster
Sep 12, 2010 Alyssa hoffmaster rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book, i loved it, way better than i thought it was going to be.

Kayla McHenry’s sweet sixteen sucks! Her dad left,
her grades dropped, and her BFF is dating the boy
Kayla’s secretly loved for years. Blowing out her candles,
Kayla thinks: I wish my birthday wishes actually
came true. Because they never freakin’ do.

Kayla wakes the next day to a life-sized, bright pink
My Little Pony outside her window. Then a year’s
supply of gumballs arrives. A boy named Ken with
a distur
Katie M.
Sep 22, 2011 Katie M. rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
This book is about a 16 year old girl who is madly in love with her best friends boyfriend, and is battling with the Queen Bee of her high school (already so cliche it hurts)
Then her birthday rolls around and she blows out the candle and wishes that all of he wishes would finally come true.
And so she wakes up the next morning to find a bright pink live sized my little pony outside her window. You'd expect the book to get funny and moderately enjoyable around this time, but it didn't at ALL t
Jacqueline
Aug 21, 2011 Jacqueline rated it it was ok

You Wish is a fun, light read. It captures the essense of excitement from a youth's birthday party, while presented a funny main character. Although the cover may look, well, a little immature, it is definitely worth giving a shot.

Mandy Hubbard's writing is really entertaining. It is funny, well described, and keeps you reading. The main character goes through some unfortunante events, and although I guess most people would hate to be in this situation themselves, it was hilarious the way it al
Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads
Aug 14, 2010 Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads rated it it was amazing
As soon as I first read the plot description for You Wish, I already knew I was going to like it... and I was so right. I mean, doesn't the idea of having all your birthday wishes come true sound so cool?

Kayla's sweet sixteenth birthday party, which she didn't even want in the first place, isn't exactly so sweet. Her best friend doesn't even show up on time and her mother's clients from her event planner business make up most of the guest list. Angry and upset, when Kayla blows out the candles,
Novel
Nov 11, 2012 Novel rated it really liked it
Kim Q
May 02, 2010 Kim Q rated it it was amazing
Mandy Hubbard has done it again! You Wish is a remarkable novel filled with hilarity, romance, and the power of finding yourself. To say that I enjoyed reading this book would be an understatement. I absolutely loved it!! I finished it in one wild sitting of hysterical laughter and lots of smiling. Kayla (which is such a cute name!) and her wishes are just pure outrageous and filled with insanity, but who could blame her! Kayla had such a great personality--being inside her head was sort of addi ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: You Wish by Mandy Hubbard — Starting March 29, 2016 12 9 Mar 30, 2016 10:17AM
Quiz on You Wish!!!!!!!!!! 6 39 Oct 05, 2013 06:29PM
  • Gimme a Call
  • Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood
  • The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball
  • The Oracle of Dating (The Oracle of Dating, #1)
  • My Double Life
  • As You Wish (Genies #1)
  • The Karma Club
  • After the Kiss
  • Stupid Cupid (Stupid Cupid, #1)
  • The Deathday Letter
  • A Match Made in High School
  • Forget-Her-Nots
  • Sleepless
  • Swoon at Your Own Risk
  • Mad Love
  • I Now Pronounce You Someone Else
  • The Naughty List (The Naughty List, #1)
  • The Geek Girl's Guide to Cheerleading
Mandy Hubbard is the author of PRADA & PREJUDICE and YOU WISH, both novels for teens now in stores. In 2011, her releases include BUT I LOVE HIM (written as Amanda Grace) and RIPPLE. She is also a literary agent for D4EO Literary Agency. For more information, visit her website.
More about Mandy Hubbard...

“And as I watch him disappear around the corner, i can't help but wonder if this is the exact moment where i officially lost everything.” 7 likes
“What are you doing? Taking a nap?"

-Ben Mackenzie”