Start by marking “Midnight Pleasures With a Scoundrel” as Want to Read:
Midnight Pleasures With a Scoundrel

Midnight Pleasures With a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James #4)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,639 ratings  ·  114 reviews
She Sought Revenge But Discovered Desire.

On a quest to avenge her sister's death, Eleanor Watkins never expected to fall for the man following her through pleasure gardens and into ballrooms. But soon nothing can keep her from the arms of the sinfully attractive scoundrel, not even the dangerous secrets she keeps. Strong, compassionate, and utterly irresistible, James is a
Published October 27th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Pleasures With a Scoundrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Pleasures With a Scoundrel

Beanbag Love
This one didn't hit the spot as strongly as the first three in this series did for me. It's a solid four for the second half, though.

I'm not sure how to explain why I had some problems with it. First and foremost, I'm certain is that I'm under a lot of stress right now with things outside the books I'm reading -- how dare real life intrude! -- so that might have been too big of a distraction for a book that focuses on a mystery with some twists.

James Swindler was brought into Feagans group of l
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 Stars

James Swindler grew up on the streets since he was 8 until Claybourne's grandfather took all of Feagan's lads in and taught them how to rise above the circumstances of their childhood. Now one of the most respected inspectors of Scotland Yard, with no crime he hasn't been able to solve, he is quite vexed when he finds himself following a lady around as an assignement. It's quite obvious that the lady can't be a danger to anyone although the lord who made the complaint seems to believe tha
♡Karlyn P♡
I love a good story twist that can outsmart the reader, and this one had it. Just when I thought this was going to be yet another oh-so-boring-typical regency romance, Lorraine Heath pulls out a pretty solid storyline twist that kept me entertained and glued to the book up to the end.

This is James Swindler's story, the man who thought himself in love with Frannie Darling. He is a notorious inspector with the knack for solving murders, and finds himself hired to protect a lord from possible dang
Juliana
I ended up liking this book A LOT more than I thought I would. I bought it when it first came out and started the first few pages, but put it down and haven't gone back to it since. I started it last night on a whim and couldn't put it down! There were some great twists and turns and it was fun being reunited with the old Scoundrels gang. James never really stood out for me in the other books, though I found his feelings for Frannie sweet and endearing; he really wins the spotlight here though!

I
BJ Rose
This historical-romance series gives a new twist to the story of Fagin's boys from Dickens' Oliver Twist, and lets you see what could have happened if someone gave them a chance to escape their lives as pickpockets and thieves. Some have names we recognize, such as Jack Dodger; Oliver becomes Luke, who is discovered to be the grandson of a duke. Others are cleverly named - Frannie chose the last name of Darling because Feagan always called her 'Frannie, darling'; James chose the surname Swindler ...more
Virginia
The first half of the book was fun and quite the mystery - especially as we see both the female and male leads try and con the other. However, the last half just veers into the ridiculous and I got really annoyed. Plus, although this is a romance and I bet a lot of people want to read all the smexy parts, there were too many. (I know, I know. Can there be such a thing? If you're mostly reading these for the plot and setting, then, yes.) As a result, I skimmed a lot of the book. The only thing th ...more
Jenny E
This was another great read from Lorraine Heath. Jeez she can plot a story like nobody's business! I thought the story was a little slow at the beginning, but honestly it was just setting up this really intricate plot that turned out to be fantastic once it all came together. Really enjoyable. I couldn't put it down.

I gave it four stars because of what ended up happening to Eleanor in the end was a little too convenient.

MS. HEATH YOU MUST GIVE US GRAVES' STORY NOWWWWWWW!!!!

It annoys the hell
Fani
If I continue reading historicals where the heroine gives her virginity without a second thought to her virtue or an unwanted pregnancy, I might have to give up on the genre. And I might have to give up Lorraine Heath latest releases anyway, if I read one more sticky, sweet story with a bit of drama sprinkled on top. What happened to the truly heartwrenching stories she used to write?
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: May 2013
Great book, amazing series! I love the twists and turns the author came up with, and though I am sure that there was a thing or 2 that I disliked, for the life of me I can't remember what it was! Ms. Heath just blew me away!

2nd read: September 2014
Buddy read with Jo
Sandy M
A chapter or so into this book, I was worried. I wasn’t liking James as much as I’d liked the other heroes in this series’ previous books. I’m not sure why either. But I should have known better. Lorraine Heath is an expert in her field, and she soon caught me by the heartstrings and taught me a valuable lesson.

Eleanor is out for revenge for the death of her sister. She knows who killed her and everything is planned out to the last detail, starting by following the man throughout London. Of cour
Linds
I'm glad I didn't stop reading this, because it starts out as nothing special. The first few chapters are meh. Lorraine Heath puts in some very interesting twists and turns. I love my romances but they are usually fairly predictable. Not the case with this one.
May

Eleanor a beautiful lively young girl who's been brought down by her sister unfortunate death. She comes to London to avenge her sister who has been seduced and humiliated by a marquess of the ton. she starts following him around planing to kill him until she bumps into Detective James Swindler of Scotland Yard. Then she becomes a bit distracted by this handsome scoundrel and begins to feel happy again. Can you she still go with the plan ?! Or worse yet will she make James do her dirty work ?!

Ja
Jane Stewart
Ok for romance, mystery & intrigue. Dialogue & character development could have been better. It was missing something special.

STORY BRIEF:
When James was eight, he became an orphan after watching his father hang for a crime he didn’t commit. James survived with a group of pickpockets. After two years, Lord Claybourne became a foster parent to James and provided an education. As an adult, James works for Scotland Yard.

Eleanor and Elisabeth were twins. Their father had a title but no money.
steph
Holy crap, this book. It was like a soap opera of soap opera's. I ended up laughing at one point just because I thought it couldn't get any more ridiculous, and THEN IT DID (view spoiler) ...more
Zel Polev
Mary
"Midnight Pleasures With a Scoundrel" follows Jim Swindler of Feagan's lads. After having been gently refused by his childhood friend Frannie, I was happy to see that he found a worthy counterpart who is his perfect mirror is his own story.

Miss Watkins is on a quest to avenge her dead sister who killed herself following a nightmarish experience at the hands of a certain lord of London. Fully prepared to deliver justice, she ends up falling for Inspector Swindler, who was tasked by Scotland Yard
Mary
While I adored Jim in the other scoundrel stories, this story left me unsatisfied and disappointed.

For some reason, Jim's story just seems more convoluted than the other books that I've read in this series (granted, I did skip Jack's story because of similar reasons). That however, was only a small fraction of the reason I didn't enjoy this book as much as the others.

The main reason:
There is a plot twist in this story that I completely did not see coming and totally blew my mind. That's usually
Out of Feagan's lads (and lass) who among them has had the worst childhood? Perhaps it's Jim Swindler. His mother died in childbirth and his father worked whenever he could, but Swindler as a young boy decided he needed a birthday present for his father. He stole a watch from a lord and rather than throw it aside when he was caught he put it in his father's pocket because he knew his father would be able to protect him. And protect him he did. His father took the fall for the theft and was execu ...more
Greselley
While I haven't read all the books written by Lorraine Heath but so far,this one is the best. That moment when after you read a book, you're having a difficult time coping with reality...that's what I feel right now. Still dazed. I don't know how to start. When I read the synopsis of this book, I thought this would the least interesting book in this series but my God, how wrong am I! The synopsis really didn't do justice with the whole story. The deception, secrets and lies were woven so wisely, ...more
Kit
Lorraine Heath continually provides the most heartwarming, romantic stories one can read. She is able to evoke such tenderness from her characters and just when you think the plot borders on "saccharine" the dialogue and/or love scenes pull it together. She laced our favorite characters from Fegan's gang into James romance bringing the story up a notch, add another great epilogue into the mix and you will be well rewarded for your time. 4.5
Deborah Camp
This was my least favorite of the Scoundrel series. It' still very well written, but the premise caused the romance to be rushed. There was no build up. They looked at each other and it was instant lust. Sometimes that can be interesting, but in this case, not so much. The mystery in it is involving, but it also seemed far-fetched. Since James was so nuts about Frannie, I would have liked to see him more befuddled over his intense interest in another lady. Instead, he falls ass over teacup for E ...more
Ruth
This story has a very different pace from the previous three, although the core characters remain more-or-less the same, but I really enjoyed this one. It had a couple of superbly-time twists that I honestly didn't see coming, and it was wonderfully refreshing to read so much focused on the hero rather than just the heroine. The ending was somewhat corny, but hey, it's a romance!
Jacqueline
I really liked this book although I couldn't get into an earlier one in the series. I liked that the hero was a normal man. So many historicals are about dukes. I thought the characters were very well developed. The author caught me by surprise twice which is very rare for me. So I enjoyed it. Also has a bit of pathos in the middle. The ending was a bit hurried.
Tishke
The fourth in the series.

The series is inspired by Oliver Twist book and its cast of characters finding their individual ways and becoming respectable, at least some of them, as adults.

This is the story of James Swindler, a detective with Scotland Yard and the beloved son of Geoffrey Harrison a convicted thief who was hanged for stealing a gold watch!

I loved this book. The last two books were kind of a let down so I didn't expect much from this one. Boy was I wrong! I am not going to give the pl
Bookwormgirl
Again with this series, I liked the hero but not the heroine. The whole switching twins/triplets plot line was interesting but also felt like a cop out for the decisions the remaining sisters took. I think they made some very stupid choices and didn't really pay any consequences.

A very quick read, with yet again a very emotional epilog.
April
This one was my least favorite of her Scoundrels of St. James series. I never really connected to the characters like I did with her other ones. The only thing that saved this book for me was the shocking twist about halfway thru. I plan on reading her Rogues & Roses series next.
Joanne Veloria
I like this more than the other stories in this series SStJ. I like James. He is passionate and determine! His very wise too! I also love a man who value his father. I love that James has a heart and I also want to hug him when he re-tells how his father sacrificed. I love the plot twist and this story is new! The main plot is nicely done. Although the story seems too long it never get away with the main idea and struggles of its characters. The sisterly love between the trio Elisabeth-Eleanor-E ...more
Brooke Springer
Okay, not my favorite in the series
Malinda
4-4.5 stars

This was a really good story. I liked Eleanor and James and their story was very good with some and unexpected twists that kept me interested until the end.

Eleanor is a young woman with an agenda. Her parents have both died, leaving the family with little money. Eleanor's sister went to London to have a "season" and try to find a husband the year before but returned troubled and later killed herself. When Eleanor found out the reasons for her sister's actions she was determined to mak
  • Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3)
  • The Pirate Hunter (Regency Pirates, #2)
  • Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
  • Ruthless Heart (Heart, #1)
  • Tempt the Devil
  • Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • One Week As Lovers (Huntington, #3)
  • A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • Lady Sophia's Lover (Bow Street Runners, #2)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin
More about Lorraine Heath...
In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1) Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3) Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2) Passions of a Wicked Earl (London's Greatest Lovers, #1) Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1)

“Claybourne grabbed his arm, stopping his forward movement. “Do we have a plan?”
“Get Emma out alive and I don’t care who the hell dies in the bloody process.” Breaking free of the hold, Swindler began running toward the gate.
“I do hope he’s not including us in the ‘who the hell dies’ arena,” he heard Greystone mutter.
“I wouldn’t be so sure if I were you,” Dodger responded. “I do believe the man’s in love.”
2 likes