Start by marking “The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers, #1)

The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  6,436 Ratings  ·  402 Reviews
Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang are best friends with one goal: to crack the code of popularity. Lydia’s the bold one: aspiring theater star, stick-fighting enthusiast, human guinea pig. Julie’s the shy one: observer and artist, accidental field hockey star, faithful recorder. In this notebook they write down their observations and carry out experiments to try to de ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Popularity Papers, please sign up.

Hadassah Reddy 8/10 not my favorite book but it is a very good book!!! i think the author did a great job writing this book. I love the illustrations.
Lmaeila It is a wonderful book that I would totally recommend!

Betsy
Sep 03, 2010 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are good and bad results that occur when a book like Diary of a Wimpy Kid hits the stratosphere. On the one hand, suddenly publishers are a lot more open-minded about breathing life into books that mix text and images in new and unique ways. The door opens a little wider for unconventional titles that straddle a variety of writing genres and styles and (normally) don't win any literary awards. That's the good. The bad thing is that as a result any book that tries to make any headway in the ...more
Pavel Beneš
Sep 27, 2013 Pavel Beneš rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lettering
Jeden z nejkrásnějších letteringů, co jsem kdy dělal! Mrzelo mě, že nejsem holka... (One of the most beautiful lettering I've ever made! I was sorry that I'm not a girl ...)
Carrie
An illustrated journal in the style of Amelia’s Notebook, The Popularity Papers documents Lydia and Julie’s preparations to become popular when they begin middle school. They document and try the activities of the popular girls, like dyeing a streak in their hair, or taking up knitting.

This is the usual unpopular friends try to become popular and grow apart when one of them has success, before realizing they need to be themselves story, but it’s clever and the artwork is excellent, and it’s rea
Grace
Oct 17, 2014 Grace rated it really liked it
I wish these books had been around when I was younger. The scrapbook style makes it fun to look at and the story is one that most young girls can relate to. My favorite part is how the author does not make a big deal of the fact that one of the characters has two dads. The author chooses not to explain the situation to the audience, and instead allows the readers to understand the situation intuitively, just like a reader would do with a family that had a mom and dad instead. I found this very r ...more
Clarence :P
Jan 31, 2010 Clarence :P rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ANYBODY (who can read cursive)
Recommended to Clarence :P by: St. Helens Book Shop
I started this book kind of expecting a cheesy kid book, instead, I got a HILARIOUS read that I liked so much it took me a day to read! In "The Popularity Papers" two 5th grade girls, Lydia and Julie, research how you become popular. They do experiments (i.e. dying ahir like a popular girl does, wearing an outfit like a popular girl does, etc.) and make observations and record them in their notebook along with illustrations and side conversations.
On the back it says "For ages 9-13", I disagree-
Lucy
Oct 03, 2016 Lucy rated it liked it
A really authentic look at trials and tribulations of pre-teen friendships. Also a great example of non-traditional format featuring lots of cursive handwriting!
Aeicha
Mar 14, 2013 Aeicha rated it really liked it
The Popularity Papers: Research for the Social Improvement and General Betterment of Lydia Goldblatt & Julie Graham-Chang is a mouthful of a title, but a bucket full of charm, humor, and heart. Amy Ignatow's quirky diary format style and illustrations combine to make a story about two friends that is worthy of such an impressive title.

Fifth-graders Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang are life long best friends who have one mission: become popular. To succeed in their mission they set out
Debbie
Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang have been best friends since they were babies. In their quest to enter middle school as part of the popular crowd, they set out to observe several popular classmates to find out just what makes them popular. They record their observations in a shared notebook. Julie is the more shy member of the pair, but also an artist. Lydia is less afraid to try new things, but sometimes goes a little too far.

As they get to know the popular girls, they start spending les
Lauren
Feb 05, 2010 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: own
The Popularity Papers was a charmingly cute read told in diary format by two fifth grade girls- Lydia and Julie.

While Lydia is the out-spoken one who craves to be the center star of everyone's lives (blame the theater geek in her), Julie would just be happy being on the sidelines being the quiet, sullen smart one. Both were fun to read about, even if I did sometimes find it hard to support their quenching desire to be popular. Though, they were fifth graders, so what could you expect? Also they
Deanna
Jan 29, 2011 Deanna rated it really liked it
In a quest for popularity, 5th graders Julie and Lydia decide to record the behavior, dress and activities of those kids who have already acheived the elite status of "popular". The girls keep a co-authored journal including "hand-written" notes in each girls distinctive handwriting and colored illustrations. Julie and Lydia experiment with new wardrobes, hairstyles and participating in different extra-curricular activities. The experiement yields different results for each girl and turns out to ...more
Clarissa
Jul 05, 2012 Clarissa rated it it was ok
So, Daisy (my 7-year-old) picked this one off the shelf. I tend to wonder a bit when a title uses the word "popular" or "popularity" in them. There is just too much junk to fill our kids' minds already, so I read this one over since Daisy really wanted to read it. It was okay. There were moments that made me laugh, but it's because I am a 30-something person who has already gone through some of that angst-ridden, pre-teen stuff. Do I think it was age-appropriate? Not for my 2nd grader. Was it te ...more
Pam
Apr 05, 2010 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I just finished reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid (and thoroughly enjoyed it) when I happened upon this book @ the store today. I figured I could give it a shot since they seemed pretty similar by outward appearances. now, I don't know if because I'm a girl I enjoyed this one better, or just that it was better.

definitely worth the read- the comedic relief in the book is FANTASTIC, as is the artwork that accompanies the story.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Jan 08, 2012 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud all through this book! It sounds like 5th grade girls. I loved the two main characters and their personalities. At first the format was challenging, but one I got a few pages in, I loved all the back and forth banter, the funny illustrations, and the silliness that is girl talk. A great recommendation for older elementary readers!
Lisa
Feb 08, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: juv
Probably more like a 4-4.5, but just wanted to convey how much I enjoyed this book. It's like the Diary of a Wimpy Kid format of a journal, but it doesn't feel like a knock-off. Great art, humorous, and a message that doesn't feel heavy-handed. I would definitely recommend this one to kids, mostly girls.
Denise
Sep 26, 2013 Denise rated it liked it
My daughter really loves these books so she wanted me to try one out. The message of the book was pretty good, though I did not love the path the characters took in some parts. I did like the way it is told through pictures and and as a diary back and forth. My daughter likes practicing reading the cursive sections. :)
Lucy Evans
May 28, 2011 Lucy Evans rated it did not like it
This book and the second one are VERY easy reads. They dont have much of a story line, so they arent the kind of book that you get hooked to. Every page has pictures on it, so it makes it even shorter. Also, it is almost like reading a long picture book.
Tyra Jelly
Aug 24, 2014 Tyra Jelly rated it really liked it
I have to admit, I sort of only read this book because of the drawings. I think that the other girl with the short brown hair is an artist and I spent so much time trying to copy the drawings. But the book was also good. It was really funny at some points.
Kate
Mar 05, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing
This is a great, fun book - a light & funny look at two fifth grade girls on a mission to discover the secrets of popularity. It's written as a shared notebook, with drawings, notes back & forth between the girls, etc. Great for fans of the WIMPY KID series!
Victoria Star
Jul 11, 2012 Victoria Star rated it it was amazing

This is amazing book! I love it so much, my favorite is Julie! If you like reading graphic novels this is the book to read, it has great pictures and a awesome story! Read it today!
Teresinha
Jun 24, 2011 Teresinha rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-english, česky, cooboo
Veliká legrace! :D Připomíná mi to "dopisovníček", sešit, který jsme měli s kamarádkou na základce a vytvářeli jsme v něm podobné malůvky a důležité poznámky... :D
Grace
Feb 14, 2015 Grace rated it liked it
Shelves: didn-t-like
Eh. I liked it, but I didn't love it. It's definitely better for younger readers instead of teenagers. It has some good messages and some funny moments.
Cassandra
I don’t know what led me to pick this book out, but I’m glad I did. It made me smile. :)
Betsy
Jul 31, 2010 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Tiffanie
Nov 26, 2016 Tiffanie rated it really liked it
I read this to see if it was age appropriate for someone. Our local library recommended it to me as a book that a 5th grader would enjoy. I have never heard of this book until it then, but let me tell you, it was amusing and very well written.

This book follows two girls who are trying to figure out how to be popular. They think being popular means they have to do what the popular kids are doing... needless to say, it doesn't go so well.

It's funny, realistic and has a wonderful lesson at the end
Kourtney
Jan 17, 2017 Kourtney rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This was a really cute, very fast read. I love that it is made to resemble a notebook that the 2 main characters pass back and forth and write in, or tape notes from their day, objects that they have found, and drawings they make. It reminds me of my elementary/junior high school days! I found myself chuckling at some of the plot points - pick it up if you need something light and fun to read!

When my daughter is "of-age" I would let her read this book in a heartbeat.
Ellie Hipp
Nov 17, 2016 Ellie Hipp rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdng350
This hilarious book is about two fifth grade girls who are desperate to gain popularity. They are on a mission: discover the secret behind becoming popular. Their attempts end up a total disaster and it gets worse. It slowly begins to affect their friendship. This is a great book for any middle school girl who can relate to feeling uncool. I would highly recommend this book for any elementary or middle school classroom.
Avery N.
Oct 23, 2016 Avery N. rated it it was amazing
Really good book, funny characters, exactly what I expect out of Amy Ignatow.
Mrs.
Sep 27, 2010 Mrs. added it
JULIE is a weird girl according to everyone else anyways.
Julie and lydia are the losers of the school.
They don’t talk to anyone else but eachother i think that thats kind of sad but thats just what i think.These two girls are a little weird but they both are very intelegent girls.

Lydia sings really good and she wants to be the lead of the play.
But some one else gets the main part in the play all the time and lydia ends up being something unimportant as usual .
But at least she gets a part.......
Mary Ann
I need to be honest. The title of this book - The Popularity Papers - turned me off. I was never, ever, ever close to being popular in elementary school, certainly not in middle school. But my fourth grade daughter took this book off my desk, and has read it, laughed over it, passed it to her older sister, then read it again and again. It's a book that has gone around my elementary school, being passed from one friend to the next. It's a book that speaks to kids, makes them laugh, makes them fee ...more
Heather
May 13, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: tween readers
Recommended to Heather by: loryn
Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang are best friends researching how to improve upon themselves socially, before entering Junior High. Their plan was to observe the most popular girls of their 5th grade class and record in their journal all the attributes that made them so well-liked. The best friend’s ultimate goal was to mimic those same qualities in order to obtain popularity for themselves and gain access to the in-crowd. They were the test subjects, which resulted in a hairstyle disaster ...more
Could these books get any better?! 6 12 Dec 28, 2015 11:46PM
Lydia or Julie? 6 15 Aug 27, 2015 08:38PM
Rating 11 14 Sep 03, 2013 02:16AM
  • Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze
  • Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf: A Year Told Through Stuff
  • Mackenzie Blue (Mackenzie Blue, #1)
  • Luv Ya Bunches (Flower Power, #1)
  • Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel
  • Pickle: The (Formerly) Anonymous Prank Club of Fountain Point Middle School
  • Gabby and Gator
  • The Loser List
  • The Dunderheads
  • The Case of the Lost Boy (The Buddy Files, #1)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
  • Sugar and Ice
  • How to Grow Up and Rule the World, by Vordak the Incomprehensible (Vordak #1)
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka
  • What Happened on Fox Street
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading (Charlie Joe Jackson, #1)
  • The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook

The Popularity Papers (7 books)
  • The Long-Distance Dispatch Between Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang (The Popularity Papers, #2)
  • Words of (Questionable) Wisdom from Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang (The Popularity Papers, #3)
  • The Rocky Road Trip of Lydia Goldblatt & Julie Graham-Chang (The Popularity Papers, #4)
  • The Awesomely Awful Melodies of Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang (The Popularity Papers, #5)
  • Love and Other Fiascos with Lydia Goldblatt & Julie Graham-Chang (The Popularity Papers, #6)
  • The Less-Than-Hidden Secrets and Final Revelations of Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang (The Popularity Papers, #7)