Start by marking “No Better Place to Die: The Battle Of Stones River” as Want to Read:
No Better Place to Die: The Battle Of Stones River

No Better Place to Die: The Battle Of Stones River

Peter Cozzens meticulously traces the chain of events as the Army of the Cumberland and the Army of Tennessee meet in Middle Tennessee on New Year's Eve 1862 in one of the bloodiest encounters of the Civil War.
Published July 1st 1991 by University of Illinois Press (first published November 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about No Better Place to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Better Place to Die

Justin
Jun 10, 2010 Justin rated it really liked it
Bring your own set of maps to augment what this book offers.
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
Tennessee was a critical state for both sides during the Civil War. There was plenty of Unionist sentiment in East Tennessee, although those who were loyal suffered under a secessionist state government. Lincoln was anxious to aid them, and therefore was always eager to have a Union Army liberate the state, particularly that section.[return][return]For the Confederates, Tennessee was the doorway to the inner Confederacy; Chattanooga in particular was the jumping off point for the Confederate he ...more
Theo Logos
May 26, 2012 Theo Logos rated it really liked it
Shelves: civil-war, series
Few major battles of the Civil War have been more neglected than Stones River. It was among the bloodiest battles of the war, and started a ripple effect that would end with the defeat of the South, yet there are less than half a dozen books on it, and only the most devoted students of the war know much of anything about it. Peter Cozzens' book, `No Better Place to Die', is perhaps the best single book detailing and explaining the significance of this nearly forgotten battle.
December of 1862 had
Steven Peterson
Nov 04, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it
Abraham Lincoln always held a special place for General William Rosecrans because of his victory at the Battle of Murfreesboro (or Stone's River). This was a narrow thing, with the forces of Braxton Bragg coming very close to victory. But the star-crossed Confederate general ended up withdrawing, leaving Rosecrans' Union forces to claim victory by holding the field of battle.

Lincoln's gratitude is understandable, given the disaster at Fredericksburg and Grant's and Sherman's lack of success at
Josh Liller
May 29, 2012 Josh Liller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: civil-war
Cozzens has become one of the best known and most beloved modern Civil War authors. This was his first book, written in the early 1980s, but like his peer Stephen Sears he hit the ground running. Stones River (aka Murfreesboro) was actually one of the largest and bloodiest battles in the western theater of the American Civil War. Until this book, I don't think the battle had gotten much study. It is now better appreciated, although still overshadowed by the other major battles like Shiloh, Chick ...more
Dorothy Countryman
Apr 15, 2015 Dorothy Countryman rated it really liked it
I knew Stones River only by name from our family history. No Better Place to Die is a thorough but sometimes technically difficult discussion of the battle. It has been very helpful in my research and will be a great book for someone with an intense interest in this battle and its key players. I found it less clear in terms of its maps even though I had walked the field just before I started reading it. Not a good choice for the Civil War novice, but a good text for those already practiced in th ...more
Daryl Nichols
Feb 25, 2012 Daryl Nichols rated it it was amazing
Of the many books in my collection on the Civil War, this is still my favorite.

A detailed, easy to follow narrative of the battle. I spent a day on this battlefield and because of this book I was able to completely visualize the battle and where the units and key events were.

The maps are detailed enough that I have build any good wargame scenarios from this book.
Jeff Bobin
Sep 18, 2016 Jeff Bobin rated it really liked it
Shelves: civil-war, history
This was an interesting look at a civil war battle that I knew nothing about. Another case of poor leadership and failing to take advantage of opportunities that would have made a difference in the battle and the war.

I appears to be a fairly balanced look at both armies and what they did well and the many mistakes both side made.
Tim
Apr 01, 2011 Tim rated it liked it
The first and unquestionably the least in Peter Cozzens' "trilogy" about the Army of the Tennessee, "No Better Place to Die" also is the shortest by far, and enjoyment suffers because of it. This is good, but Cozzens' next two books, centered on Chickamauga and Chattanooga, were much better.
ERIC S BISNOW
Apr 18, 2016 ERIC S BISNOW rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A recurring theme

Foot soldiers and cavalry fought hard.. It was the generals whose ego ran the battles instead of doing there jobs-leading there men. Many battles were lost due generals delays,working against each other and ego.
Iain
Oct 03, 2015 Iain rated it liked it
Shelves: historical-acw
A well written study of an rarely covered battle. Cozzens' is not a masterpiece, but I'd happily read another book by him if it were on a topic of interest.
Mark
Oct 01, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: civil-war
An interesting guide through a confusing battle. The maps are not as helpful as they might be, but the writing is clear and readable, and it's well-annotated.
Eric
Aug 10, 2009 Eric rated it it was amazing
This compelling book tells the battle of Stones River, an early battle of the Civil War. My ancestor, John Looper, was involved in the campaign. I try imagine the battle through his eyes as I read.
Mike Stallings
Apr 25, 2013 Mike Stallings rated it it was amazing
Excellent research and presentation. Keep your finger on the included maps. They help make sense of the sometimes fast moving battle action.
Sean Chick
Aug 12, 2011 Sean Chick rated it it was amazing
A perfect battlefield history. Well written and its does not lose the reader in the details of battle, but nor is it a flabby overview of events.
David Howell
David Howell rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2012
Doug Miller
Doug Miller rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
R.E. Thomas
R.E. Thomas rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Corey
Corey rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Jim Jolly
Jim Jolly rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Jane Hollingsworth
Jane Hollingsworth rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
avnee jain
avnee jain rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Castillo family
Castillo family rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2016
Gareth
Gareth rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Antonia Jasmine
Antonia Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Eric Williams
Eric Williams rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Joseph  burrell
Joseph burrell rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2014
Matthew Bassford
Matthew Bassford rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Teddy Salad
Teddy Salad rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • To the Gates of Richmond: The Peninsula Campaign
  • Cold Harbor: Grant and Lee, May 26-June 3, 1864
  • The Confederacy's Last Hurrah: Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville
  • Gettysburg--Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill
  • Lee's Lieutenants: A Study In Command (Volume I: Manassas to Malvern Hill)
  • Return to Bull Run: The Campaign and Battle of Second Manassas
  • The Life of Billy Yank: The Common Soldier of the Union
  • Grant Moves South, 1861-1863
  • Stonewall Jackson and the American Civil War
  • The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command
  • Nothing but Victory: The Army of the Tennessee, 1861-1865
  • Three Months in the Southern States: April-June 1863
  • Shrouds of Glory: From Atlanta to Nashville: The Last Great Campaign of the Civil War
Peter Cozzens is the author of sixteen critically acclaimed books on the American Civil War and the American West. Cozzens also is a recently retired Foreign Service Officer, U. S. Department of State.

His newest book, The Earth is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West was published by Alfred A. Knopf in October 2016. Amazon selected it as a Best Book of November 2016.

All
More about Peter Cozzens...