Start by marking “Lost for Words” as Want to Read:
Lost for Words

Lost for Words

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  788 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
My New Year's resolution: I'm moving on from everything that's happened. I'm not going to talk about it, think about it, let the memory pounce upon me like a waiting tiger, nothing.

All Sophie wants to do is forget. But it's not easy now that everything's changed. The house feels too big, school drags on for too long, lights are too bright, the room spins, and her hands get
Published May 11th 2010 by HarperTeen (first published August 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lost for Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost for Words

Linger by Maggie StiefvaterThe Reckoning by Kelley ArmstrongCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
2010 YA novels (part 2)
92nd out of 136 books — 311 voters
Tiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckTiger's Quest by Colleen HouckInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanLast Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
Wishlist
19th out of 144 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Theresa
Feb 12, 2012 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Okay, when the main character describes herself as plain and expounds on that, you can't go and put a heavily-made-up model on the front cover- it just seems ridiculous. There is no reason to have this woman on the front cover- who the hell is she supposed to be?
I did love about this, and about Hold Still, that they both show how parents can want to the best for their kids, but not always know how to deal with their own hurt. Still, as I always say at work, kids tend to not pop out with an inst
Christie
May 25, 2014 Christie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Sophie releases the details of the worst thing she ever did through journal entries and this turns out to be a blessing and a curse in Alice Kuiper’s second YA novel, The Worst Thing She Ever Did. It’s a blessing because we get to hear Sophie’s authentic teenage voice and a curse for the same reason. Teenagers are, by definition, insular and of course no where is this made more apparent than in the pages of a teenager’s diary.

Sophie is keeping this journal at the request of her therapist, Lynda,
Meera
Jan 31, 2011 Meera rated it it was ok
Plot: It is about a girl called Sophie who struggles to forget an incident that happened last summer. It is all about how she copes with her new life after that. She finds it hard to communicate with the people around her; she rarely talks about it, and basically pushes people out. She starts writing a diary on a notebook her psychiatrist gave her at some point believing it’ll make her better. The book is Sophie’s diary stating her life on a day to day basis.
Likes: I did not find it that likeabl
Heather
Jun 19, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. I had seen it all over the Internet lately, and was intrigued. Plus, I love the cover. (Yes, I do tend to judge a book by its cover. ;-) )

The story was OK. Having lost someone I love, I could feel Sophie's pain – to a degree. Thankfully, I've never been in a situation like she was in, so I can't fully understand. Anyway, it became clear to me pretty quickly that she likely was suffering from PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) – especially once she started having
Brooke
Honestly, this is a hard book to rate.

I didn't enjoy it, but I think that's the point. Sophie, the narrator and protagonist, really, really drove me insane. She's grieving after the death of her sister, yet doesn't 'reveal' (although I found it very obvious and saw where it was going early on) details as to how her sister died until about the last quarter of the book.

The book is set in the UK which I liked. I didn't really feel the voice Sophie was supposed to have, I guess due to my lack of int
Crini
Oct 26, 2011 Crini rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Ein Buch für eher traurige Stunden:
Auf ganz besondere Art und Weise schildert Alice Kuipers wie es ist, nicht nur mit den alltäglichen Problemen eines Teenagers klar zu kommen, wie Streit mit der besten Freundin, Verliebt sein, dass Eltern einfach immer peinlich sein müssen, sondern zusätzlich noch mit dem Verlust eines geliebten Menschen umzugehen und damit beziehungsweise ohne ihn leben zu lernen.

Besonders gut gefallen hat mir, dass das komplette Buch als Tagebuch geschrieben ist. Und dabei he
Reaganstar
Apr 26, 2010 Reaganstar rated it liked it
I have to say, that this book took a bit for me to get into. I thought it was going to turn out as a whole book of a girl being unable to move past the death of her sister. However, once I got about half way through the book things changed and you could see a huge change in not only her but other characters in the book, I was glad that by the end of the book there were others seeking help in many various ways.

After, the entire book I am gonna summarize the book as a good guide for others going
Estações Literárias

Uma história sobre a perda de um elemento familiar de forma trágica e inesperada e as repercussões que este evento causa na família.

Sophie perdeu a irmã e fechou-se numa redoma de sofrimento. Tornou-se agressiva para com a mãe, uma estranha na escola e simplesmente deixa de saber estar.

Perder alguém é inexplicavel, podemos referir que é mau, mas só quem passa por isso, sabe como é sentir as emoções que essa perda provocam e como esse momento perdura toda a vida. A questão torna-se dúbia, quando
Jubilation Lee
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this little book, and even more surprised that the deep, dark, terrible disaster--unrevealed until two thirds of the way through the story--wasn't what I assumed it was. Way to keep the reader guessing, author!

Sophie isn't necessarily a likeable protagonist. She's terrible to her mother, oblivious to her friends, whiny about her lack of boyfriend, and practically incapable of functioning in the real world. On the other hand, that's pretty much how I imagine
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
This is an emotional book written in journal entry form. In some cases, this is a problem with me for books, but Kuipers writes to where it feels seamless to me. I got the feeling I was peeking into someone's private life, so she was successful getting me in Sophie's mind and world.
The friendships are really unstable in this book, but I think that it reflects real life and the stress these are put under (ed and ptsd).
It is frustrating yet also beautiful how the story unfolds, and finding ou
Sarai Segura
May 28, 2014 Sarai Segura rated it liked it
The book Lost for Words ended up being a book I randomly choose from my library. The story is told through the thoughts of a young girl named Sophie, who has had a horrible accident occur to her recently. She writes things down in a journal that her therapist gave her so she could in way relieve herself from any bad thoughts. After reading this book, I would say that isn’t not for everyone and its not that interesting/memorable afterwards, the reason behind this is because of how the story is to ...more
Ana Raquel
Nov 07, 2014 Ana Raquel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta história deve ser lida pelos adolescentes e pais de adolescentes. E porquê?

Em primeiro lugar esta história tem como personagem principal uma adolescente; em segundo lugar, é mais comum nesta etapa de vida os adolescentes sentirem-se incompreendidos e revoltados; e por último lugar, é patente nesta narrativa, embora indirectamente algumas dicas de que como os pais devem lidar com os seus filhos adolescentes.

Esta narrativa está muito construída em termos de enredo, de drama de dilemas e de pr
Clarabel
Dec 07, 2011 Clarabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un roman triste, et qui rappelle la fragilité de la vie. Ou comment vivre avec le fardeau de se sentir responsable, coupable de la perte d'un proche. J'ai pleuré à deux reprises, parce que j'ai un petit coeur aussi tendre qu'un chamallow, mais je ne pense pas que le roman avait pour but de virer au pathos. Un deuxième roman qui confirme tout le bien que je pense d'Alice Kuipers!
La Mordue
Apr 22, 2011 La Mordue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Et voilà moi qui pensais de pas pleurer ... Je me retrouve en larmes !
Ce livre a tellement fais écho chez moi. Beaucoup d'émotion, un coup de coeur
Mon avis complet :
Paige Spell
May 06, 2015 Paige Spell rated it really liked it
This book is very relatable for high school girls and easy to read. You are kept on your seat the entire time wondering what exactly happened in Sophie's life last summer. You can tell she is a lost girl looking for herself when she lost such a big part of her life. During high school all people go through certain friend groups trying to see where they fit in best. Between boys and parties, and her old best friend and the new girl, Sophie is having a hard time getting her life back together. I w ...more
Allison Bekkerman
Jan 09, 2014 Allison Bekkerman rated it it was amazing
By reading and understanding the book "Lost for Words" by Alice Kuipers, it is evident that the book is full of suspense and will leave you wanting to read more. The story is based on a girl named Sophie, who had only wanted to forget about her past. High School was hard enough for her, but the event that occurred on one sunny afternoon, had changed her life forever. After having a hard life at home with her mother, who had barely walked out of her room, Sophie depended on her friend Abi to resc ...more
Vanessa Montês
Dec 31, 2014 Vanessa Montês rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meu
3,5**

(...)

A autora queria explorar de tal forma a dor de Sophie que não aprofundou o que se passava em seu redor e isso teria sido uma mais valia para toda a narrativa. Se tivesse dedicado os capítulos a diferentes personagens tenho a certeza que o livro teria sido bem melhor e mais aprofundado e foi isso que faltou. Apesar disso não deixa de ser um livro interessante e que se lê depressa, não fosse o seu tamanho (nem 200 páginas) e a escrita fluída da autora.

Um livro que se lê bem mas que tinha
Celine___
Du vu et revu... trop plat et pas assez original
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
It took me awhile to get through this novel, mostly, I think because I wasn't reading much, but also because Sophie is trying to bury her pain so deeply that even she won't remember it. Sophie's decision to refrain from mentioning what happened at all initially and only slowly realizing that her trauma and pain needs to be felt, to the point where she begins having regular panic attacks, outbursts of anger, and finally admitting what she wished she and Emily had done differently, initially leave ...more
Christy
Jul 01, 2010 Christy rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen-fiction
Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads
The Worst Thing She Ever Did really took me by surprise. Based on the plot description alone, I knew I would probably enjoy it, but I had no inkling just how much I would come to enjoy reading the novel. Emotional and absolutely heartbreaking at times, it was a novel that pulled me in from the very first page and I simply couldn’t put it down… finishing the novel in a mere couple of hours.

Sophie was just like any other teen when one awful day in London, a terrible event suddenly rips away her ol
Amy
Oct 18, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
When I first saw this book at the library, I was instantly intrigued by the title (The Worst Thing She Ever Did). What on earth could this girl have done that was so bad? Why is she trying so hard to forget it?
I'll tell you right now, that title is misleading and the reason why is likely because that's actually not the title of this book. This book is called "Lost for Words" and THAT title makes sense.
After doing a bit of snooping around, I discovered that "Lost For Words" was published as "The
Larissa
Sep 04, 2010 Larissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Sophie is just trying to get on with things, isn't that what they tell you to do after something like this. She's sure she would be fine if people would just stop asking how she's doing. She doesn't want to talk about it, she doesn't even want to think about. She just wants to be left alone.
She's fine.

But slowly Sophie is coming to realise that she is not fine. Not by a long shot. Last summer Sophie's world was turned upside down and nothing has been right since, not her friendship with her best
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
Jul 07, 2011 Michelle (FabBookReviews) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-young-adult
Tintentraeume
Ich bohrte meinen Stift in das Holz meines Tisches und schrieb den ersten Buchstaben meines Namens. S. Sophie. Ob ich ein völlig neuer Mensch sein könnte, wenn ich einen neuen Namen hätte? Ein Mensch ohne Vergangenheit. Ein Mensch, der nur die Zukunft vor sich hat.

Erster Satz:
Ich blicke auf die Worte hinab, sie sind schwarz wie Tintenspinnen, und ich betrachte die Netze, die sie weben.

Inhalt:
Manchmal brennen sich Bilder in dein Gedächtnis ein, verfolgen dich, wie ein Fluch. Als wollten
Apr 18, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
This review is being posted here first, rather than my blog due to release date information. (Watch my blog closer to the release date for this same review)

Sophie Baxter has a lot going on in her life, and it all started the day her sister was killed in a London bombing. Instead of finding an outlet, Sophie bottles up all of her feelings and holds onto them with the fierceness of a vice grip. It's only a matter of time before she can't handle the knowledge of the horrors she has endured, and she
Angela  M
Jul 21, 2010 Angela M rated it really liked it
This was a truly griping story of a young girl who is trying to deal with the unbearable grief of losing her sister. Sophie is completely devastated, and her therapist tells her to keep a journal, which is what this book is. Every day Sophie goes through life trying to forget the fact that her sister is dead. Her mother walks around in a daze and barely talks to her. It's been a year spent in a house that is completely quiet.

Sophie's love for her sister was completely touching. I felt for her t
Shawna
Jun 12, 2012 Shawna rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-fiction
Brina
Apr 23, 2012 Brina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nachdem ich bereits von "Sehen wir uns morgen?" restlos begeistert war, stand für mich schnell fest, dass ich auch weitere Bücher von Alice Kuipers lesen möchte. "Vor meinen Augen" kommt an "Sehen wir uns morgen?" nicht heran, dennoch konnte mich die Geschichte zum Großteil von sich überzeugen.

Die Autorin hat einen wunderbaren Schreibstil. Auf sehr eindringliche und dennoch sensible Art und Weise, erweckt sie ihre Charaktere zum Leben und bringt diese dem Leser sehr gut rüber. Obwohl das Buch l
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine: The Worst Thing She Ever Did 3 18 Mar 08, 2014 04:53PM
  • The Second Trial
  • The Life of Glass
  • Borderline
  • Friend Is Not a Verb
  • A Blue So Dark
  • Chance to Dance for You
  • The Opposite of Tidy
  • Little Black Lies
  • So Many Boys (The Naughty List, #2)
  • Stranded
  • Wish
  • Fishtailing
  • The Summer of May
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Kidnapped
 photo Goodreads-icon_zps520d2a85.png Google-Plus-Icon Tumblr-icon YouTube-Icon Email-Icon

Secrets of a writing life, book reviews and cool writing prompts? Sign up here: eepurl.com/bA03lH

I was born in London, England, and I moved to Canada in 2003 when I fell in love with a Canadian. We live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which took a while for me to learn how to spell. I have four children, a girl and three boys.

My first novel, Life on the Refrigerator Door, was published
More about Alice Kuipers...