Start by marking “Ladies Prefer Rogues: Four Novellas of Time-Travel Passion” as Want to Read:
Ladies Prefer Rogues: Four Novellas of Time-Travel Passion

Ladies Prefer Rogues: Four Novellas of Time-Travel Passion

Four of today's most cherished romance novelists prove that when it comes to love, there's no time like the present no matter what century you're in.

In New York Times bestselling author Janet Chapman's "Man from the Moon," a young woman encounters a band of 23rd-century warriors on a mission to save mankind. But when one of them is wounded, she is his only hope for life an
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published February 2nd 2010 by Berkley Sensation (first published December 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ladies Prefer Rogues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ladies Prefer Rogues

Sandy M
Jul 25, 2011 Sandy M rated it really liked it
I’m not a huge fan of anthologies. Sometimes they work for me, but most of the time they don’t. It takes an exceptional author to pull off a short story in the same vein as a novel, giving a reader characters to love, an intriguing storyline, and all those other things we look for. I had pretty good hopes for this time travel anthology. Two of the authors have given me great stories before, one hasn’t, and one I had yet to read, so I didn’t know what to expect. You can say I’m certainly surprise ...more
Gmc
Sep 24, 2013 Gmc rated it really liked it
Ladies Prefer Rogues: Four Novellas of Time-Travel Passion (Paperback)
by Janet Chapman.

Janet Chapman's Man from the Moon, a young woman Veterinarian encounters a band of twenty-third-century warriors on a mission to save mankind. One of the warriors is wounded, she is his only hope for life - and for love.

In Tomorrow Is Another Day, by Sandra Hill plunges a woman matchmaker back in time to post-Civil War Louisiana, where the poor Southern belle must make a living as a matchmaker.

The Drowning S
Patsyann
May 14, 2010 Patsyann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epilogue
Can I own an anthology in which I love just one story?!? You betcha!!
#1 DNF
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
#2 DNF
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
#3 FIVE STARS!!
Veronica Wolff's story is the best of all.
Loved the time travel and the connection of past and present. It is a book difficult to explain. Past and present are the story. And - who is the rogue? Iain is a brave courageous man who finds his soul mate within time and place!! He is not the definition of rogue!! Love c
Linda
Oct 04, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthology, four shortstories all containing time travel in one form or another.
Man from the Moon by Janet Chapman was great, Isobel encounters four men in need of help, both medical and knowledge, and it squeezed my heart at the end.
Tomorrow is Another Day by Sandra Hill is Marguerites travel back into time to the old south and meeting Laurent whod in need of her and her help.
Drowning sea by Veronica Wolff was back in the Highlands, the lovestory of Iain and Cassiopeia. This was a bittersweet on
A.R. Von
Mar 02, 2012 A.R. Von rated it really liked it
This is only the second time I ventured into the pages of time travel. Also I have never read any works from any of these authors before. I enjoyed 2 out of the 4 stories within. The first one in the book by Janet Chapman and the last by Trish Jenson. Those two were well paced and kept my interest throughout. Otherwise I found the other two not to be as grabbing of interest and slower in pace. I gave four stars because I felt the other authors that I enjoyed fully should not have to feel the eff ...more
Nancy
Sep 26, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
I enjoyed "Man from the Moon" by Janet Chapman. I had just finished reading all of the books she has written, and this one was different but still written in a familiar voice. "Tomorrow is Another Day" by Sandra Hill was cute and funny. "Sixteen Decades" by Trish Jensen was ok, but not really a favorite. The one that really took me by surprise, though, was "The Drowning Sea" by Veronica Wolff. I fell in love with her Characters and the whole story and couldn't put it down! I am now reading her H ...more
Barbara ★
Finally an anthology that was enjoyable. Of course, the stories are too short and the relationships are unbelievably fast but all in all a good collection. Janet Chapman's story Man From the Moon was great. I absolutely loved Daniel! I didn't like Sandra Hill's story Tomorrow is Another Day as much as her time traveling vikings because the story was in a time period that I don't particularly enjoy (civil war). Veronica Wolff's The Drowning Sea was sad but ended surprisingly well. And I really li ...more
Mary Beth
Mar 08, 2013 Mary Beth rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
Only picked this up to read the Janet Chapman story and really didn't get in to any of the others. The Janet Chapman story was interesting but very brief. It is titled The Man from the Moon. It is a story about present day America with a time traveler from the future coming back to try to save us all from a cataclysmic event. It was ok, but the romance was a little too brief and too easy to predict. None of the other stories inspired me to read them, so that is all I can review here.
Dawn ♥ romance
Aug 07, 2010 Dawn ♥ romance rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-travel
I enjoyed three of these four time travel stories. My favorite was by Chapman where men from the future need heroines medical skills. Story by Hill combined characters from her SEALS series with her historical Cajun series. Heavily skimmed third sea pirate story. 1850's teacher lands in 2010 Nevada was fun finish. Overall rating 3.5*
Donna
Jun 20, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed these novellas. The romances were fun and engaging and I loved the time travel. I don't think I've read anything by any of these authors before and I plan on looking for more of their works.
Kendra
Mar 02, 2012 Kendra rated it really liked it
4 in 1, time travel. Somewhat abrupt endings, though good stories. My least favorite was Drowning Sea, as that was confusing. Really could have gone for more of Man from the Moon. Fun quick read.
Barbara
Aug 05, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Janet Chapman was great as always. Trish Jensen made me want to read more of her work. Sandra Hill was ok. Veronica Wolff was a bit boring and had no interested plot twists and people didn't behave as you would expect.
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
A great time-travel stories from 4 authors. Loved it!
Crystal Loos rademacher
Jan 07, 2013 Crystal Loos rademacher rated it really liked it
I enjoyed 3 of the 4 stories. Not that the 4th was bad but just didn't care for the characters as much.
Kathryn
May 10, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2012-books
the novellas were okay. I got this mostly because of Janet Chapman and that I like her books... but didn't even much care for her part of this Anthology.
Amelia-Irene
Dec 12, 2010 Amelia-Irene rated it really liked it
An interesting set of 4 stories by four authors. two familiar names and two new to me authors. Anything by Sandra Hill is a must have, and this is no exception. A good choice to for light reading.
Donna
Aug 30, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it
Fun time-travel stories. Didn't enjoy Sandra Hill's story, so I quit reading that one.
The other three were a worthwhile read.
Mandi Schreiner
Jan 08, 2010 Mandi Schreiner rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
REVIEWED BY AMANDA

Man from the Moon by Janet Chapman

This charming story is about Isobel, a doctor of veterinary medicine and what happens when a band of warriors from the future mistake her for an M.D. The men in this story have been sent back in time to save mankind from an event that will happen in the future and they are the only hope of success.

While on this mission one of their party is injured and is in urgent need of medical attention. This leads to a case of misunderstandings on the par
Audrey
Janet Chapman's "Man from the Moon" - 3- stars. Decent isolated cabin romance setting. Interesting glimpse into futuristic moon man life based on the H's descriptions. Falling in love in five days felt totally ridiculous.

Sandra Hill's "Tomorrow is Another Day" - 2 stars. Kinda meh overall. Not a fan of the "Gone with the Wind" allusions. Didn't find either the H or h particularly appealing. Also, choppy writing that I didn't enjoy reading.

Veronica Wolff's "The Drowning Sea" - 3.5-4 stars. Very
Josette
Jun 23, 2013 Josette rated it liked it
A friend gave me this book and I've only read the novella by Janet Chapman (so far) but I was very disappointed in Daniel's behavior. He acted the way a lot of 'heroes' in 'romance' novels act; they act interested in the woman but they mistreat her and then just say one little sentence: "I'm sorry I hurt you" and that's supposed to make everything ok. He shouldn't have humiliated her just because 'he could'.

When a man hurts a woman in a novel, it doesn't feel like a romance novel. I read romanti
SheLove2Read
Aug 21, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Man from the Moon by Janet Chapman.....2.5. Cheesy and an ending that would p*ss me off had I been the heroine. (view spoiler) ...more
Allie Ritch
Dec 22, 2013 Allie Ritch rated it liked it
This was a nice anthology. I definitely liked Janet Chapman's "Man from the Moon" best. It had more of an edge to it than her usual work and definitely kept me in suspense. Sandra Hill's "Tomorrow is Another Day" was very much in keeping with her time-traveling Vikings. Veronica Wolff's "The Drowning Sea" was more solemn, though it had a HEA. I thought Trish Jensen's "Sixteen Decades" was fine, but I just couldn't connect with the characters enough to really get into it. That's just me. All in a ...more
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Janet chapman - 2 stars - This was really cheesy and read like an erotic novel with no sex at all. weird futuristic mooneans. Pshht! I love Janet chapman, but this story was just BAD!!

Sandra Hill - 3 stars - This one bugged me because there was no real point. A girl wakes up in her fallen elevator and find herself in the past. She sees a man she believes looks like the man she was just talking to in her office in the future. He says he is someone else and has no idea what she's talking about. He
Debbie
Mar 31, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it
I cannot say having one of my favorite authors - Janet Chapman - writing about men from the moon instead of hunky highlanders made me happy. The story was quirky and enjoyable but I prefer her to write about Scottish men - what she does best!

Sandra Hill - funny as always

Veronica Wolff and Trisha Jensen - both equally as good.

Gave the book an overall 3 - cannot say I "loved" the book but it was certainly passable.
Karen L
Sep 21, 2014 Karen L rated it it was ok
I read this anthology for Sandra Hill's story and Janet Chapman's story. I don't like anthologies because I prefer a longer story-line then what you get in an anthology and most of time with anthologies you get a mix bag of stories where you have two stories are great to read and the other ones are boring to read.
Martina
Apr 24, 2014 Martina rated it it was ok
[J.C.] Moon people from 2243. Need mysterious animal to save humanity. Daniel and Isobel.
[S.H.] Extreme dating mix up. Disappear. 1870 after Civil War. Marguerite and Larry. Funny dialogue.
[V.W.] Undercover courtship. Brute of a father. Pirate ship. Cassie and Iain.
{T.J.] Sheriff and 1850 maiden. Rooster Ranch pleasure house. Ty and Maggie.
Mary
Oct 22, 2011 Mary rated it liked it
These 4 short stories are not bad. A couple better then the others. All could have been good stories if the authors would have developed them more and added more detail in the timelines. Definately worth the read.
Baraah
Apr 14, 2012 Baraah rated it it was ok
The only one I liked: MAN FROM THE MOON by Janet Chapman!
This is what I don't like about anthologies. You read the first one, usually good, but the others don't match the expectations. There is a different author, different writing style and pretty much different everything!
Pam
Jun 01, 2010 Pam rated it liked it
The stories were interesting but just too short. All four stories had some sort of Time travel in them but they ended abruptly imho. I did enjoy the stories though. I think my favorite was TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY by Sandra Hill. She writes with a wonderful sense of humor and great heores!
Jacqueline
Apr 07, 2011 Jacqueline marked it as taking-a-break
Sandra Hill - Tomorrow is Another Day - 2.5 stars
I did not like the ending which cost it 1/2 a star.
  • Rough and Ready (Viking II, #6)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
  • Love Came Just in Time (MacLeod, #2.5, 2.7 & 2.8; de Piaget 4.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #2.5, 3.5, 5.5 & 6.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • These Boots Were Made for Strutting: And Stunning and Knocking 'em Dead
  • Six gothic tales
  • A Highlander for Christmas

Janet Chapman is the author of twenty-two contemporary and magical romance novels, all of which are set in her beautiful state of Maine. She lives in a cozy log home on a beautiful lake with her husband, surrounded by an eclectic assortment of wildlife that she finds both entertaining and inspiring. Probably bes
More about Janet Chapman...