Start by marking “Odysseus (The Heroes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Odysseus (The Heroes, #1)

Odysseus (The Heroes #1)

One of the greatest legends in the world is brought to life in ODYSSEUS, the first book of the four-volume HEROES series. Author Geraldine McCaughrean's taught prose brings a modern, thriller-like immediacy to the ancient story, while still retaining the characters, details and even some of the rhythms of the epic poem.

Odysseus and his loyal troops narrowly escape being ea
Published September 20th 2004 by Cricket Books (first published October 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Odysseus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odysseus

Nicole
Apr 21, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Tells the story of Odysseus, hero of the Trojan War and king of Ithaca, and the ten year journey it takes for him to return home to the war. Easier to read than a direct Homer translation while still using lyric forms of repetition and phrasing.

Not recommended for young kids (even if they are studying Ancient Greece) because of the horrors encountered on the return voyage home. Odysseus left Troy with 500 men, and he is the only one that returns alive. Most of the men are eaten by one monster or
Oliver
May 23, 2014 Oliver rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Odysseus sailed from Troy with a fleet of 12 ships. He finds an island, and rested there. He told a party to find food. After a while Odysseus went to look for them, and he found the party lying on the ground eating fruit. They were forgetting everything special that they loved and said that they would die if they couldn't eat the fruit, so Odysseus dragged them to the ships. He sailed of the island. After they experienced many dangers, Odysseus was the only living man. When he got h ...more
Ren
Feb 25, 2012 Ren rated it really liked it
Shelves: isaac-s-books
This is not the book I'm rating but it's the closest to it. It may even be a different version. The one we read is called The Odyssey and it is retold by McCaughrean. Great version of the story for kids. My 5 YO now wants more books about Odysseus after reading Black Ships Before Troy and The Odyssey.
Nov 19, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
I know this is supposed to be a classic, but I found that as Odysseus went from peril to the next, it got old. Besides, I don't think much of a hero who expects his wife to be faithful to him when he isn't faithful to her.
Melissa
Jan 06, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
I read this to the kids for some of our history lessons. It is easy to understand and fun to read. They enjoyed hearing about Odysseus and the giant cyclops and the other tales. They really enjoyed the book. I hope it will make The Odyssey not so scary for them to read and understand some day
Corinne
Apr 16, 2014 Corinne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I think it's a good retelling except for my favorite part of Odysseus'/Ulysses' story which is the end. I don't think the final challenge set for Penelope's suitors was handled well enough in this version. I like it a bit more drawn out.
Gina Malewicz
Sep 29, 2011 Gina Malewicz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy
The kids really enjoyed this one!! Beautiful writing and exciting stories. It's a classic everyone should read.
MiChAeLPaUl
Apr 21, 2013 MiChAeLPaUl marked it as fini
Shelves: books, fiction
A modern retelling of Odysseus’ adventures returning home after the Trojan War against monsters and a nymph.
Julie Tichonchuk
Jun 12, 2011 Julie Tichonchuk rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-niko
Niko and I read this one together. It was a nice tale. A well written re-telling of a timeless tale.
LaLine
LaLine rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Vedat Çelaj
Vedat Çelaj rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2012
Shari
Shari rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2009
Debi  JohnsTon
Debi JohnsTon rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2012
Tali Caldecott
Tali Caldecott rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Saskia
Saskia rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2012
Mandy K
Mandy K rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Chrekols
Chrekols rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Everet
Everet rated it really liked it
May 08, 2012
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
debby pernes
debby pernes rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Juan
Juan rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2012
Greta
Greta rated it really liked it
May 28, 2010
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2009
Haraman Gill
Haraman Gill rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2009
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2012
Geraldine McCaughrean was born in 1951 and brought up in North London. She studied at Christ Church College of Education, Canterbury and worked in a London publishing house for 10 years before becoming a full-time writer in 1988. She has written over 120 books, 50 short plays for schools, and a radio play.

Her adult novels include Fires’ Astonishment (1990) and The Ideal Wife (1997), but she is bes
More about Geraldine McCaughrean...

The Heroes (4 books)
  • Perseus (The Heroes, #2)
  • Theseus (The Heroes, #3)
  • Hercules (The Heroes)