Start by marking “Odysseus (The Heroes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Odysseus (The Heroes, #1)

Odysseus (The Heroes #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  10 reviews
One of the greatest legends in the world is brought to life in ODYSSEUS, the first book of the four-volume HEROES series. Author Geraldine McCaughrean's taught prose brings a modern, thriller-like immediacy to the ancient story, while still retaining the characters, details and even some of the rhythms of the epic poem.

Odysseus and his loyal troops narrowly escape being ea
Published September 20th 2004 by Cricket Books (first published October 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Odysseus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odysseus

Oliver
I loved it! Odysseus sailed from Troy with a fleet of 12 ships. He finds an island, and rested there. He told a party to find food. After a while Odysseus went to look for them, and he found the party lying on the ground eating fruit. They were forgetting everything special that they loved and said that they would die if they couldn't eat the fruit, so Odysseus dragged them to the ships. He sailed of the island. After they experienced many dangers, Odysseus was the only living man. When he got h ...more
Nicole
Tells the story of Odysseus, hero of the Trojan War and king of Ithaca, and the ten year journey it takes for him to return home to the war. Easier to read than a direct Homer translation while still using lyric forms of repetition and phrasing.

Not recommended for young kids (even if they are studying Ancient Greece) because of the horrors encountered on the return voyage home. Odysseus left Troy with 500 men, and he is the only one that returns alive. Most of the men are eaten by one monster or
Ren
This is not the book I'm rating but it's the closest to it. It may even be a different version. The one we read is called The Odyssey and it is retold by McCaughrean. Great version of the story for kids. My 5 YO now wants more books about Odysseus after reading Black Ships Before Troy and The Odyssey.
Melissa
I read this to the kids for some of our history lessons. It is easy to understand and fun to read. They enjoyed hearing about Odysseus and the giant cyclops and the other tales. They really enjoyed the book. I hope it will make The Odyssey not so scary for them to read and understand some day
Corinne
I think it's a good retelling except for my favorite part of Odysseus'/Ulysses' story which is the end. I don't think the final challenge set for Penelope's suitors was handled well enough in this version. I like it a bit more drawn out.
I know this is supposed to be a classic, but I found that as Odysseus went from peril to the next, it got old. Besides, I don't think much of a hero who expects his wife to be faithful to him when he isn't faithful to her.
Gina Malewicz
The kids really enjoyed this one!! Beautiful writing and exciting stories. It's a classic everyone should read.
Julie Tichonchuk
Niko and I read this one together. It was a nice tale. A well written re-telling of a timeless tale.
MiChAeLPaUl
Apr 21, 2013 MiChAeLPaUl marked it as fini
Shelves: books, fiction
A modern retelling of Odysseus’ adventures returning home after the Trojan War against monsters and a nymph.
Reuben Ong
Really nice to read because it has a sense of adventure but also has a touch of laughter in it.
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Emily
Emily is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2015
Alexander Adler
Alexander Adler marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Minoakaokalani Steward
Minoakaokalani Steward marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
David Fisher
David Fisher marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Stan
Stan marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Laura Jones
Laura Jones marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Ria
Ria marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Aria Sedai
Aria Sedai marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Anaeka
Anaeka marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Mariève Ward
Mariève Ward marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Sm34gol
Sm34gol marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Paul Reiners
Paul Reiners marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Geraldine McCaughrean was born in 1951 and brought up in North London. She studied at Christ Church College of Education, Canterbury and worked in a London publishing house for 10 years before becoming a full-time writer in 1988. She has written over 120 books, 50 short plays for schools, and a radio play.

Her adult novels include Fires’ Astonishment (1990) and The Ideal Wife (1997), but she is bes
More about Geraldine McCaughrean...

The Heroes (4 books)
  • Perseus (The Heroes, #2)
  • Theseus (The Heroes, #3)
  • Hercules (The Heroes)
Peter Pan in Scarlet The White Darkness The Kite Rider One Thousand and One Arabian Nights The Death-Defying Pepper Roux