Start by marking “Autumn Bridge” as Want to Read:
Autumn Bridge

Autumn Bridge (Samurai #2)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,392 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
In the year 1311, in the highest tower of Cloud of Sparrows Castle, a beautiful woman sits by the window, watching as enemies gather below and fires spread through the night. As she calmly awaits her fate, she begins to write, carefully setting down on a scroll the secret history of the Okumichi clan…of the gift of prophecy they share and the extraordinary destiny that awa ...more
Published August 3rd 2004 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Autumn Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autumn Bridge

Algernon
Nov 22, 2013 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

The overthrow of the Tokugawa Shogunate, the Restoration of the Emperor, the abolition of the samurai class, the dissolution of the domains, the unprecedented intrusion of foreigners into Japan, the destruction of the last heroic proponents of bushido--all these events had occurred in the span of less than ten years.

The radical late XIX century changes in Japan society offer a rich filon of inspiration for the epic canvas of Takashi Matsuoka. This second 'Samurai' book is more of a companion b
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
It is interesting how people react differently to books, just like people. When I finished "Autumn Bridge" I felt as if someone had just died. There was a moment during which I actually felt empty and wanted to grieve. I felt the same way after reading "Cloud of Sparrows", yet when I started to read this, its sequel, I remembered very little of that story... it came back to me in visions, like personal memories. There will be people who will read both books and wonder what all the fuss is about. ...more
Sharon
Oct 08, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If James Clavell's "Shogun" had been as good as "Cloud of Sparrows," I might have finished reading it.

I am serious.

"Cloud of Sparrows" is the story of Lord Genji, a Japanese noble who allows Western missionaries to come to his domain. One member of each generation in his family has the gift of prophecy, and Genji has had a vision that his life will be saved by an outsider one day. So, he allows Westerners into Japan after two centuries of isolation.

The missionaries are led by Reverend Cromwell a
Einahpets
Aug 26, 2015 Einahpets rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read "Cloud of Sparrows" when I was a teenager and it had been my favorite book since that day. When I found out that there was a secuel I felt like I had to read it almost as a matter of life or death.
And when I finally got it I found myself getting scared. I didn't want to get disappointed by the second part because the first book was so special for me (I could say that book came to me just in the right moment of my life and it changed me).
It wasn't the case.
"Autumn Bridge" is so good and be
Serazhutdin Khappalaev
Поскольку история позднефеодальной Японии с некоторых пор представляла для меня повышенный интерес, я не мог пройти мимо дилогии Такаши Мацуока. Сказать по правде, "Осенний Мост" считается второй книгой, но так уж вышло, что я прочитал её первой и могу сказать, что нисколечко от этого не потерял. Всё дело в том, что обе книги повествуют примерно об одних и тех же событиях, но разительно отличаются хронологией повествования. Трудно сказать, какая книга по отношению к другой является сиквелом или ...more
Marc Jentzsch
A worthy sequel to Cloud of Sparrows, Autumn Bridge fills in the few big gaps left by the previous book. Though it's difficult to say what truly constitutes the present of the narrative in Autumn Bridge, we are also introduced to a slew of new characters, past, present, and future. Perhaps that's the point, though, that for each of the characters, their story is their present and as we read, so it is for us. Throughout the narrative, there is little regard for chronological storytelling and oddl ...more
BDT
Apr 22, 2015 BDT rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To start off, I loved Cloud of Sparrows. Matsuoka is a gifted writer, and it's a shame that he hasn't written more.

When I first started reading this, I was concerned that it wouldn't live up to Cloud of Sparrows, and had a difficult time understanding the book's structure (frequent jumps back and forth between time periods). However, it all began to make sense after about 25% through, and I found myself racing to the finish.

The sheer depth of emotion and description of the flaws of each and ever
Shari
Mar 16, 2012 Shari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dramatic, lyrical and creative. I found this book better than Cloud of Sparrows. The going back and forth in time was a bit confusing at first, but it immediately made sense and even added depth to the setting and characters and moved the story forward by tying the loosed ends in Cloud of Sparrows. This book also gives background to the pre-Restoration era. It's the story of Japan just as much as Genji, Emily, Kimi and Lady Shizuka's.
Keith
Jun 29, 2014 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought and enjoyed reading both - Cloud of Sparrows - along with this sequel to it, Autumn Bridge, one after the other. Quite good continuity within them too.

As it was set roughly around one of my favoured Japanese time periods, it is also mostly the type I read (Shogun, etc). So all in all, a good thumbs up for them both . . .
Charnette
Feb 01, 2015 Charnette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Matsuoka amazed me. I'm eagerly awaiting his next book, because I simply loved both of his books (this one and Cloud of Sparrows).
Endah
Nov 24, 2008 Endah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Di Samurai : Kastel Awan Burung Gereja (buku pertama) dikisahkan pada bagian akhirnya bahwa Genji mengirim Heiko pergi bersama Matthew Stark ke Amerika Serikat sementara Emily Gibson akan tetap tinggal di Jepang di bawah perlindungan Genji, meneruskan misinya semula : mengabarkan injil.

Pada buku keduanya, Samurai : Jembatan Musim Gugur, cerita lebih banyak berkisar pada sejarah asal mula klan Okumichi yang telah ada sejak enam ratus tahun silam (jika bertolak 1860-an, setting tahun kisah ini). M
Danny Saputra
Aug 21, 2015 Danny Saputra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Autumn bridge

Timeline is always make me look worse. And there's so many timeline in this book, past or future. And everytime i found the year, i always flipped back pages over and over again to make sure. Yes, timeline make me also look stupid as fuck. So annoyed, but it was great experienced i got from book.

When you read the tittle, you will expect that it's an action book, full of fight or war. But, if you kind of those reader, you will got disappointed. It's supposed to be a political-history
Quiet
Mar 03, 2015 Quiet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 日本人著者
3 stars because of the change in comprehension between this sequel and the first, Cloud of Sparrows.

Cloud of Sparrows hints at prophecy and metaphysical abilities, but it's by and large a novel of the closing of feudal Japan, and focuses more on Japanese lifestyle during that time rather than some fictious adventure.

Autumn Bridge, though, is a fiction story. And by this I mean it rather abandons the more encompassing study of Japan to focus on the prophetic-bloodline of the Okumichi clan.

It wasn
Pringadi Abdi
Oct 29, 2015 Pringadi Abdi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entah berapa tahun yang lalu aku membaca Kastil Awan Burung Geraja, dan baru membaca Jembatan Musim Gugur beberapa tahun lalu.

Apa bedanya masa lalu dan masa depan? Tidak mampu mengubah hal yang akan terjadi atau yang telah berlalu... sama saja.

Di buku ini, aku butuh fokus yang tinggi. Tapi fokus itu nggak akan sia-sia karena pada setiap detail kita akan menemukan kedahsyatan tersendiri. Jalinan karakter, jalinan waktu... terasa sempurna di dalam plot yang dibuat.

Tokoh favoritku Lady Shizuka. A
Vicki Beyer
Jul 26, 2012 Vicki Beyer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
While some aspects of this tale were interesting and intriguing, it was neither easy nor pleasant to read. The use of unnatural names for the Japanese characters (eg, names not in use in the time period in question, names that weren't names, women's names assigned to me) was distracting and disconcerting, as were certain historical inaccuracies, such as having proselytizing Christians central to the story at a time when Christians were actually persecuted in Japan. Apparently there was another b ...more
Sognatore
Oct 28, 2015 Sognatore rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
E’ il seguito di Nube di passeri, ma più che proseguire con la storia, ripercorre le vicende precedenti narrate nel primo libro. Si lascia poco spazio al presente, quasi interamente occupato da un solo personaggio, riducendo il resto ad un contorno pallido e superficiale. Due personaggi nuovi che vengono introdotti all’inizio del libro e che sembrano aver un ruolo importante finiranno in un nulla di fatto, e persino l’epilogo sarà solo accennato, dando la sensazione che si sia voluto finire il r ...more
Carlos
May 08, 2016 Carlos rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Segunda parte de "El honor del samurai". Lo recuerdo peor que la primera parte. Los elementos "mágicos" que no desentonaban en "El honor de Samurai" aquí distorsionan demasiado la realidad para mi gusto. La historia es entretenida pero es una sombra del primer libro.
Claudio
Apr 02, 2014 Claudio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historia, aventuras
No alcanza la altura del libro anterior, pero va más allá en el análisis sobre el comportamiento y la sociedad japonesa de la era de los samurai. La forma de narrar, intercalando distintas épocas unidas por los profetas del clan da una sensación de totalidad y de que puedes percibir el tiempo simultáneo, en lugar de verlo como un flujo unidireccional. Me gustó y lo recomiendo.
Liz Chapman
Sep 27, 2015 Liz Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some readers have written very long reviews of this book but I just want to say I really enjoyed reading it. It did remind me in places of James Clavell's Shogun but I liked that book as well. I did get a bit confused with the constant time changes in the story but I sorted it out in the end. If you want a synopsis of the book read other reviews I'm just happy I read it.
Karen
Apr 24, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written book, but the plot was entirely too intricate jumping between time periods for its length. I found it hard at points to keep up and know what was happening. Also it left a few too many loose ends for my liking.
Autumn
Sep 17, 2014 Autumn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got completely sucked into this book. It has a timeline that jumps all over the place, which usually I hate but which I liked very much in this case. It's a sequel to a book I haven't read, so I might need to track it down (A Cloud of Sparrows) and read them in order.

The great lords of okamichi are gifted with "the sight". They are supposed to have visions of the future that are infallible. The reader watches as they try to circumvent these....and how the predictions play out in their lives.
Sulis Peri Hutan
tambah mumet sama alurnya =)) untung ada penanda tahun berapa. endingnya g muasin, walau udah diramalkan g puas juga hubungan genji dan emily :(
review lengkap http://www.kubikelromance.com/2015/05...
Ifigenia Grigoriadou
Several years ago I 've read the first volume, cloud of sparrows, and fell in love. Now, finishing Autumn Bridge I found myself falling in love again. Very resourceful storytelling, and a wonderful journey going back and forth in time.
Mark
Nov 27, 2007 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wannabe Japanophiles
Don't remember much about this, other than that there was some good killing! I think the older brother's name was Shigeru - he was this cool delusional samurai who was a master swordsman and killed indiscriminately. Great.
Niles  Perkins
Nov 07, 2013 Niles Perkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best historical fiction books I've read this year. Matsuoka compared favorably with Guy Gavriel Kay. I really enjoyed this and will read his Cloud of Sparrows as soon as I can get a copy.
Sophiene
Sep 24, 2011 Sophiene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic-fiction
Wonderful read. The sequel to Cloud of Sparrows in which all becomes clear. It appealed to my sense of order as a librarian, so I really liked all the storylines coming together.
Joe Satrianto
Dec 23, 2015 Joe Satrianto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ending yang sempurna. sedikit menggantung. tapi bukannya memang seharusnya kayak gitu, makhluk fana justru sempurna dengan ketidaksempurnaannya? pendeknya, saya suka :)
Robyn Teare
Dec 17, 2015 Robyn Teare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book but I found the constant skipping backwards and forwards in time quite confusing.
Stella Golden
Apr 09, 2014 Stella Golden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its such a good book omfg. If you read Cloud of Sparrows first this gives a strong affect on your emotions.
Looking for Autumn Bridge 4 30 Nov 24, 2014 05:52PM
  • Furin Kazan
  • Taiko: An Epic Novel of War and Glory in Feudal Japan
  • The Samurai
  • The 47 Ronin Story
  • Black Arrow (Sugawara Akitada, #3)
  • The Pillow Book of Lady Wisteria (Sano Ichiro, #7)
  • The Pure Land
  • The Tale of the Heike
  • The Tokaido Road
  • Child of Vengeance (Musashi Miyamoto, #1)
  • Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3)
  • Beyond the Blossoming Fields
Takashi Matsuoka is a first-generation Japanese American writer living in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States. Before commiting full time to the writing profession, he used to work at a Zen Buddhist temple. His books, historical novels depicting American missionaries' visits to Japan, are often compared to Shōgun and the rest James Clavell's series. In addition to writing novels, Matsuoka also worked ...more
More about Takashi Matsuoka...

Samurai (2 books)
  • Kastel Awan Burung Gereja (Samurai, #1)