Start by marking “Autumn Bridge” as Want to Read:
Autumn Bridge

Autumn Bridge (Samurai #2)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,287 ratings  ·  122 reviews
In the year 1311, in the highest tower of Cloud of Sparrows Castle, a beautiful woman sits by the window, watching as enemies gather below and fires spread through the night. As she calmly awaits her fate, she begins to write, carefully setting down on a scroll the secret history of the Okumichi clan…of the gift of prophecy they share and the extraordinary destiny that awa ...more
Published August 3rd 2004 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Autumn Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autumn Bridge

The overthrow of the Tokugawa Shogunate, the Restoration of the Emperor, the abolition of the samurai class, the dissolution of the domains, the unprecedented intrusion of foreigners into Japan, the destruction of the last heroic proponents of bushido--all these events had occurred in the span of less than ten years.

The radical late XIX century changes in Japan society offer a rich filon of inspiration for the epic canvas of Takashi Matsuoka. This second 'Samurai' book is more of a companion b
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
It is interesting how people react differently to books, just like people. When I finished "Autumn Bridge" I felt as if someone had just died. There was a moment during which I actually felt empty and wanted to grieve. I felt the same way after reading "Cloud of Sparrows", yet when I started to read this, its sequel, I remembered very little of that story... it came back to me in visions, like personal memories. There will be people who will read both books and wonder what all the fuss is about. ...more
If James Clavell's "Shogun" had been as good as "Cloud of Sparrows," I might have finished reading it.

I am serious.

"Cloud of Sparrows" is the story of Lord Genji, a Japanese noble who allows Western missionaries to come to his domain. One member of each generation in his family has the gift of prophecy, and Genji has had a vision that his life will be saved by an outsider one day. So, he allows Westerners into Japan after two centuries of isolation.

The missionaries are led by Reverend Cromwell a
Serazhutdin Khappalaev
Поскольку история позднефеодальной Японии с некоторых пор представляла для меня повышенный интерес, я не мог пройти мимо дилогии Такаши Мацуока. Сказать по правде, "Осенний Мост" считается второй книгой, но так уж вышло, что я прочитал её первой и могу сказать, что нисколечко от этого не потерял. Всё дело в том, что обе книги повествуют примерно об одних и тех же событиях, но разительно отличаются хронологией повествования. Трудно сказать, какая книга по отношению к другой является сиквелом или ...more
Di Samurai : Kastel Awan Burung Gereja (buku pertama) dikisahkan pada bagian akhirnya bahwa Genji mengirim Heiko pergi bersama Matthew Stark ke Amerika Serikat sementara Emily Gibson akan tetap tinggal di Jepang di bawah perlindungan Genji, meneruskan misinya semula : mengabarkan injil.

Pada buku keduanya, Samurai : Jembatan Musim Gugur, cerita lebih banyak berkisar pada sejarah asal mula klan Okumichi yang telah ada sejak enam ratus tahun silam (jika bertolak 1860-an, setting tahun kisah ini). M
Vicki Beyer
While some aspects of this tale were interesting and intriguing, it was neither easy nor pleasant to read. The use of unnatural names for the Japanese characters (eg, names not in use in the time period in question, names that weren't names, women's names assigned to me) was distracting and disconcerting, as were certain historical inaccuracies, such as having proselytizing Christians central to the story at a time when Christians were actually persecuted in Japan. Apparently there was another b ...more
I read "Cloud of Sparrows" when I was a teenager and it had been my favorite book since that day. When I found out that there was a secuel I felt like I had to read it almost as a matter of life or death.
And when I finally got it I found myself getting scared. I didn't want to get disappointed by the second part because the first book was so special for me (I could say that book came to me just in the right moment of my life and it changed me).
It wasn't the case.
"Autumn Bridge" is so good and be
Marc Jentzsch
A worthy sequel to Cloud of Sparrows, Autumn Bridge fills in the few big gaps left by the previous book. Though it's difficult to say what truly constitutes the present of the narrative in Autumn Bridge, we are also introduced to a slew of new characters, past, present, and future. Perhaps that's the point, though, that for each of the characters, their story is their present and as we read, so it is for us. Throughout the narrative, there is little regard for chronological storytelling and oddl ...more
Pringadi Abdi
Entah berapa tahun yang lalu aku membaca Kastil Awan Burung Geraja, dan baru membaca Jembatan Musim Gugur beberapa tahun lalu.

Apa bedanya masa lalu dan masa depan? Tidak mampu mengubah hal yang akan terjadi atau yang telah berlalu... sama saja.

Di buku ini, aku butuh fokus yang tinggi. Tapi fokus itu nggak akan sia-sia karena pada setiap detail kita akan menemukan kedahsyatan tersendiri. Jalinan karakter, jalinan waktu... terasa sempurna di dalam plot yang dibuat.

Tokoh favoritku Lady Shizuka. A
Danny Saputra
Autumn bridge

Timeline is always make me look worse. And there's so many timeline in this book, past or future. And everytime i found the year, i always flipped back pages over and over again to make sure. Yes, timeline make me also look stupid as fuck. So annoyed, but it was great experienced i got from book.

When you read the tittle, you will expect that it's an action book, full of fight or war. But, if you kind of those reader, you will got disappointed. It's supposed to be a political-history
Nov 27, 2007 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wannabe Japanophiles
Don't remember much about this, other than that there was some good killing! I think the older brother's name was Shigeru - he was this cool delusional samurai who was a master swordsman and killed indiscriminately. Great.
Wonderful read. The sequel to Cloud of Sparrows in which all becomes clear. It appealed to my sense of order as a librarian, so I really liked all the storylines coming together.
3 stars because of the change in comprehension between this sequel and the first, Cloud of Sparrows.

Cloud of Sparrows hints at prophecy and metaphysical abilities, but it's by and large a novel of the closing of feudal Japan, and focuses more on Japanese lifestyle during that time rather than some fictious adventure.

Autumn Bridge, though, is a fiction story. And by this I mean it rather abandons the more encompassing study of Japan to focus on the prophetic-bloodline of the Okumichi clan.

It wasn
Cloud of Sparrows is a very gripping story that includes many different elements, or I should say the confliction of those elements. The story takes place during a transitional period in Japanese history when the West is entering into the lands of Japan that have been closed off from it for many centuries. The story is told from the perspective of a geisha and samurai who really demonstrate the change within the Japanese culture at the time. Secondary characters, such as older members of the sam ...more
lanjutan kastel awan burung gereja. kesan yg sama mash dipertahankan penulis di buku kedua ini.
ada yg berbeda tentunya. sesuai covernya, buku ini lebih banyak mengisahkan peremnpuan. lady shizuka keturunan penyihir mongol yg telah mati berabad-abad silam mendatangi emily, warga amerika yg "numpang" tinggal di kedianan genji. sebagai sahabat genji akhirnya mereka terlibat kisah cinta 2 bangsa. perjalanan penuh lika-liku mengingat sebelumnya genji telah memadu kasih bersama heiko (seorang geisha)
The demons of the past,
the treachery of the present,
an uncertain future are about to collide in the most terrifying ways.

As past and present collide,
a hidden history comes to life,
and with it a secret prophecy that has been shrouded for centuries and may now finally be revealed.

Dahulu, di pertengahan semester VI, saya mendapatkan novel Samurai Kastel Awan Burung Gereja. Novel ini saya pilih karena novel Musashi, yang beberapa tahun lalu sudah saya baca, menyedot perhatian saya pada novel-nov
Nanie Dias
[Review in Portuguese]
Ponte de Outono, de Takashi Matsuoka
Bertrand - 500 páginas
Uma envolvente saga - um olhar minucioso pela vida da família Okumichi através dos séculos no Japão dos grandes senhores.

Título: Ponte de Outono
Nº de Páginas: 500
Comprar Online:
Inglês: Amazon / Book Depository
Português: Cultura / Sar

Mengetahui masa depan dan mengetahui masa lampau adalah dua hal yang bermakna sama. Apa bedanya mengetahui hal yang tak terelakkan dengan mengetahui apa yang telah terjadi? Aki-no-Hashi (1311) Sesosok wanita hadir, mengiris keheningan menara tertinggi Kastel Awan Burung Gereja. Kecantikannya memukau, kelembutannya menghanyutkan, dan keanggunannya menebarkan pesona. Tetapi, kemunculannya selalu berselubung misteri. Benarkah dia Lady Shizuka, sang putri sihir dari masa lampau? Benarkah dia
Lutfi  A
Maddy Pertiwi
"Genji Okumichi menjadi terkenal di seantero Jepang karena keeksentrikannya dan kemampuan meramal yang diwariskan secara turun-temurun. Segala popularitasnya itu membuat dia dicemburui bangsawan lainnya, yang juga dikarenakan dia mengusulkan agar Jepang mau menerima pendatang dari luar. Satu persatu pertanda yang dia dapatkan mulai terwujud. Selain itu, dia harus mulai menghadapi masa lalunya sendiri, sebelum akhirnya pertanda terakhir muncul..."

Buku ini adalah lanjutan dari Kastel Awan Burung G
Perjalanan panjang Genji, Bangsawan Agung Akaoka ternyata belum berakhir. Sekuel sekaligus prekuel klan Okumichi diceritakan dengan jelas di buku ini. Sehingga jangan kaget dengan alur yang dengan bebasnya melompat ke sana ke mari. Seakan akan membuat kita tersesat jika sekali saja memgedipkan mata. Itu yang terjadi pada saya saat kehilangan konsentrasi.

Lebih dari enam tahun belalu sejak tiga misionaris yang dilindungi Genji menapakkan kaki di Edo. Kini hanya Emily, satu dari tiga misionar
E’ il seguito di Nube di passeri, ma più che proseguire con la storia, ripercorre le vicende precedenti narrate nel primo libro. Si lascia poco spazio al presente, quasi interamente occupato da un solo personaggio, riducendo il resto ad un contorno pallido e superficiale. Due personaggi nuovi che vengono introdotti all’inizio del libro e che sembrano aver un ruolo importante finiranno in un nulla di fatto, e persino l’epilogo sarà solo accennato, dando la sensazione che si sia voluto finire il r ...more
To start off, I loved Cloud of Sparrows. Matsuoka is a gifted writer, and it's a shame that he hasn't written more.

When I first started reading this, I was concerned that it wouldn't live up to Cloud of Sparrows, and had a difficult time understanding the book's structure (frequent jumps back and forth between time periods). However, it all began to make sense after about 25% through, and I found myself racing to the finish.

The sheer depth of emotion and description of the flaws of each and ever
Di buku ini berbagai masalah yang menjadi misteri di buku pertama akan terungkap asal mulanya. Misalnya, dari mana para keturunan Klan Okumichi mendapat kemampuan meramal; alasan Lord Shigeru membunuh ayahnya sendiri, Lord Kiyori.; siapakah Lady Shizuka yang selalu muncul dalam mimpi Lord Genji. Dilengkapi pula dengan silsilah Klan Okumichi, yang memudahkan pembaca memahami cerita ini dan membayangkan hubungan antar tokoh.

Buku ini lebih kompleks dari buku pertamanya, tapi sedikit lambat karena b
I bought and enjoyed reading both - Cloud of Sparrows - along with this sequel to it, Autumn Bridge, one after the other. Quite good continuity within them too.

As it was set roughly around one of my favoured Japanese time periods, it is also mostly the type I read (Shogun, etc). So all in all, a good thumbs up for them both . . .
A.D. Koboah
I really loved this book. Cloud of Sparrows is good but Autumn Bridge is so much better. The way it began (view spoiler) had me hooked from the beginning and I especially loved the fact that even though it was told from multiple character view points and different points in history, it didn’t get confusing but made the book all the more complex and intriguing. I liked most of the characters as well, especially Smith and Farringdon who re ...more
No alcanza la altura del libro anterior, pero va más allá en el análisis sobre el comportamiento y la sociedad japonesa de la era de los samurai. La forma de narrar, intercalando distintas épocas unidas por los profetas del clan da una sensación de totalidad y de que puedes percibir el tiempo simultáneo, en lugar de verlo como un flujo unidireccional. Me gustó y lo recomiendo.
I loove how the author wrote this.
He surely had the knowledge to impress me, and he surely had the art of making the beautiful scenery, the description of character in details that you feel you know the person yourself.
One thing that keep me from putting those five stars is I don't like to read about anything about withches, ghost, alien, fortune teller, or any other stuffs beside human and animal (certain kind too).
I still can stand it in the first book, cause the story was so great and outlive
Liz Chapman
Some readers have written very long reviews of this book but I just want to say I really enjoyed reading it. It did remind me in places of James Clavell's Shogun but I liked that book as well. I did get a bit confused with the constant time changes in the story but I sorted it out in the end. If you want a synopsis of the book read other reviews I'm just happy I read it.
I thought this was refreshing to read, especially in a week where we were debating the lack of positive female characters in Game of Thrones.

This book has male protagonists, female protagonists, and neither is written as an ugly stereotype. For a book in a high traditional culture where women are not valued, the women in this are self-actualized, gentle, stealthy, wise, weak, daring, and interesting.

The book straddles three periods in time(forgive the Christian-oriented dates); 1300 Japan, 187
Looking for Autumn Bridge 4 28 Nov 24, 2014 05:52PM
  • Furin Kazan
  • The Heike Story: A Modern Translation of the Classic Tale of Love and War (Tuttle Classics)
  • Black Arrow (Sugawara Akitada, #3)
  • The Samurai
  • The Dragon King's Palace (Sano Ichiro, #8)
  • The 47 Ronin Story
  • The Tokaido Road
  • Child of Vengeance
  • Beyond the Blossoming Fields
  • The Pure Land
  • The Last Shogun: The Life of Tokugawa Yoshinobu
  • Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2)
Takashi Matsuoka is a first-generation Japanese American writer living in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States. Before commiting full time to the writing profession, he used to work at a Zen Buddhist temple. His books, historical novels depicting American missionaries' visits to Japan, are often compared to Shōgun and the rest James Clavell's series. In addition to writing novels, Matsuoka also worked ...more
More about Takashi Matsuoka...

Samurai (2 books)
  • Kastel Awan Burung Gereja (Samurai, #1)