Start by marking “Odds Are Good: An Oddly Enough and Odder Than Ever Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Odds Are Good: An Oddly Enough and Odder Than Ever Omnibus

Odds Are Good: An Oddly Enough and Odder Than Ever Omnibus (Bruce Coville's Short Stories #1,2)

Beloved for his hilarious and unexpectedly moving novels, Bruce Coville is also a master of the short story. These two collections, in one volume for the first time, feature eighteen tales of unusual breadth and emotional depth. This omnibus is a perfect introduction to Bruce Coville's magic for the uninitiated.
Includes an introduction by Jane Yolen.
Published April 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Odds Are Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odds Are Good

Anstjfla
May 14, 2011 Anstjfla rated it it was amazing
Short stories are good.
It's because you rarely get interrupted when you are reading through the whole story, and it is also because it hardly is boring(pardon my words, but it's true!)if the story is short and easy to swallow in small bites. I like collections of short stories like these in this book, and you feel multiple of feelings while you read through many stories with sentimental, humorous, and those which chills your spine late at night. I personally like types of stories where you don't
Malbadeen
Aug 28, 2007 Malbadeen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: boys that say "that's boring" everyitme you recommend a book
In my on-going (albeit half-hearted) attempt to enjoy the genre of fantasy/sci-fi/whatever, I picked up this book and I immediately wished I had it when I taught 5th grade.
A collection of hugely diverse short stories, Coville is an absolute master of compelling beginnings.
Some stories ended camp-fire-esque in their silly surprise endings (i.e. Duffy's Jacket), others were wide open for interpretation and some were down right creepy (There's Nothing Under My Bed).
There was only one story that
Elena
Jun 05, 2009 Elena rated it really liked it
I think that all of the stories in the book were good, some about real life issues and some about fantasy too. Some for laughs and some for chills. I especially liked the fantasy ones, they were all thought out and presented nicely.
I also like how the stories are short in themselves, that they don't need to ever be extended into a bigger story, so altogether this book just WORKS.
Taylor
All these short stories written by a man who specializes in children's books, were very uplifting. It says ages 12 and up, and that's exactly what it is, "and up". This book will remain on my favorites shelf forever. I am proud to say I own this book, because I can go back to the stories whenever I need them. Yes, need.
Kathy Chung
Oct 21, 2015 Kathy Chung rated it it was amazing
a wonderful collection of short stories

as compared to "oddest of all", i feel that this collection is more suitable for teens instead of children as some parts are pretty spooky and some needs more mature thinking.
Michelle
Jan 07, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This book of short stories made for much entertainment. In a world of working too hard this provided a needed retreat for my brain.I have read other books by this author and had a feeling this one would satisfy me.
Steve Wilson
Oct 16, 2014 Steve Wilson rated it really liked it
Some of the short stories in here are quirky and highly original. I'd recommend it for use with middle school and high school students.
Jena Marston
Mar 17, 2009 Jena Marston rated it liked it
I liked this one, I needed more time to get through all the short stories. If you like reading short stories, Bruce Coville is great.
Basma Elmahdy
Basma Elmahdy rated it did not like it
May 15, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2010
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Readerrobert
Readerrobert rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
D. Arlene
D. Arlene rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2014
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2015
Theheretic
Theheretic rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2014
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Leah
Leah rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2009
Kris Johnson
Kris Johnson rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Gaisce
Gaisce rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2011
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Jami Greathouse
Jami Greathouse rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2013
Althea
Althea rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Joy
Joy rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Patrick Hinds
Patrick Hinds rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Gwenlle
Gwenlle rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2011
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2010
Zachary Kaplan
Zachary Kaplan rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

Bruce Coville's Short Stories (4 books)
  • Oddly Enough (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #1)
  • Odder Than Ever (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #2)
  • Oddest of All (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #3)