Start by marking “Odds Are Good: An Oddly Enough and Odder Than Ever Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Odds Are Good: An Oddly Enough and Odder Than Ever Omnibus

Odds Are Good: An Oddly Enough and Odder Than Ever Omnibus (Bruce Coville's Short Stories #1,2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Beloved for his hilarious and unexpectedly moving novels, Bruce Coville is also a master of the short story. These two collections, in one volume for the first time, feature eighteen tales of unusual breadth and emotional depth. This omnibus is a perfect introduction to Bruce Coville's magic for the uninitiated.
Includes an introduction by Jane Yolen.
Published April 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Odds Are Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odds Are Good

Robin
What a collection. I am amazed at the great ideas this author have.

A story that give a deep impression on me is "The Language of Blood", a different, sadder version of blood sucking vampire.

"The Giant's Tooth" is a story about people surviving in a giant mouth by building a kind of home in his tooth (of all place) after the giant tried to eat them. It is the story that led me to buy the book in the first place. A warning though, don't read this story while eating.

"There's Nothing Under the Bed"...more
Anstjfla
Short stories are good.
It's because you rarely get interrupted when you are reading through the whole story, and it is also because it hardly is boring(pardon my words, but it's true!)if the story is short and easy to swallow in small bites. I like collections of short stories like these in this book, and you feel multiple of feelings while you read through many stories with sentimental, humorous, and those which chills your spine late at night. I personally like types of stories where you don't...more
Malbadeen
Aug 28, 2007 Malbadeen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boys that say "that's boring" everyitme you recommend a book
In my on-going (albeit half-hearted) attempt to enjoy the genre of fantasy/sci-fi/whatever, I picked up this book and I immediately wished I had it when I taught 5th grade.
A collection of hugely diverse short stories, Coville is an absolute master of compelling beginnings.
Some stories ended camp-fire-esque in their silly surprise endings (i.e. Duffy's Jacket), others were wide open for interpretation and some were down right creepy (There's Nothing Under My Bed).
There was only one story that...more
Elena
I think that all of the stories in the book were good, some about real life issues and some about fantasy too. Some for laughs and some for chills. I especially liked the fantasy ones, they were all thought out and presented nicely.
I also like how the stories are short in themselves, that they don't need to ever be extended into a bigger story, so altogether this book just WORKS.
Taylor Winters
All these short stories written by a man who specializes in children's books, were very uplifting. It says ages 12 and up, and that's exactly what it is, "and up". This book will remain on my favorites shelf forever. I am proud to say I own this book, because I can go back to the stories whenever I need them. Yes, need.
Michelle
This book of short stories made for much entertainment. In a world of working too hard this provided a needed retreat for my brain.I have read other books by this author and had a feeling this one would satisfy me.
Jena Marston
I liked this one, I needed more time to get through all the short stories. If you like reading short stories, Bruce Coville is great.
Matthew Poulin
If you like books with adventure, and mystery, then this is the book for you!
Desiree Alcala
Desiree Alcala is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Jesa Omosura
Jesa Omosura marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Julia H.
Julia H. marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Althea
Althea marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Giovanni Brizzi
Giovanni Brizzi marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1) Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2) Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2) My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher is an Alien, #1) William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)