Start by marking “Why We Have Day and Night” as Want to Read:
Why We Have Day and Night

Why We Have Day and Night

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Published November 1st 1982 by Capra Press

To ask other readers questions about Why We Have Day and Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why We Have Day and Night

Siskiyou-Suzy
I do not understand this book.

A group of children are playing before being suddenly thrust into the dark. They don't know what happens. The eldest brother shows them how night and day work by using an orange as a metaphor of the earth, and a bug as a metaphor for them. "Pretend you are a bug." He's presenting the idea his own father told him once.

So in the metaphor, the children are a bug. Well, when they realize that knowing about night and day does not answer the question, they decide that: as
Heather
This book, with text by Peter F. Neumeyer and illustrations by Edward Gorey, ends in a way that's not very satisfying to me, but still manages to be pretty pleasing overall. The art and design are really great: the book sticks to a color palette of black, white, and orange, and makes a lot of use of black backgrounds and negative space, with Gorey's crosshatched drawings looking lovely whether they're white on black or black on white. The story is really more of a premise/question: it opens with ...more
Nora
Dec 14, 2014 Nora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some real nice sentences.
Yarb
Jul 25, 2016 Yarb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorey's art elevates any book to keeper status, and though the text here is not especially ambitious, it's still a lot of fun.[return][return]Great twist at the end where the rational explanation for night and day, illustrated by a bug on a revolving orange, is subverted when the bug eats his way into the permanently dark interior of the orange - avoiding what would have been a safe but dull ending.[return][return]Lovely production, too, with the glossy fingerprintable pages and playful font.
Diana Welsch
May 20, 2013 Diana Welsch rated it really liked it
I love nightmare fuel. I don't really get into gore or anything like that, existential horror is more my thing. That's what I was expecting with this book and it delivered. Every kid should read it. Instead of peeing their pants and sleeping with the lights on, they'll just be filled with vague dread for the rest of their lives.
Kathryn
Dec 16, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, children-s, book
This is a strange little story. The illustrations are charming, with minimalist use of color. I enjoyed it, but my preschooler was not riveted by it. However, it was a beautifully bound book that came with a nice bookmark -- really gift quality -- so I donated it to our school library.
Gsmattingly
Nov 28, 2011 Gsmattingly rated it really liked it
Wonderful text by Peter F. Neumeyer and fantastic illustrations with Edward Gorey.
Carol Krueger
Carol Krueger rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Eugene Evasco
Eugene Evasco marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Christopher T Brown
Christopher T Brown rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Kaerber
Kaerber marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Sage Maria
Sage Maria rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Himanshu Khandelwal
Himanshu Khandelwal marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2015
John Martz
John Martz rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Angeline
Angeline rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Christopher Dehm
Christopher Dehm rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Sofia Syeda
Sofia Syeda marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Hailey White
Hailey White rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Robert Max  Steenkist
Robert Max Steenkist marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Sharon Maier
Sharon Maier rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015