Start by marking “Why We Have Day and Night” as Want to Read:
Why We Have Day and Night

Why We Have Day and Night

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Published November 1st 1982 by Capra Press

To ask other readers questions about Why We Have Day and Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why We Have Day and Night

Heather
This book, with text by Peter F. Neumeyer and illustrations by Edward Gorey, ends in a way that's not very satisfying to me, but still manages to be pretty pleasing overall. The art and design are really great: the book sticks to a color palette of black, white, and orange, and makes a lot of use of black backgrounds and negative space, with Gorey's crosshatched drawings looking lovely whether they're white on black or black on white. The story is really more of a premise/question: it opens with ...more
Nora
some real nice sentences.
Jonathan
This is a short kids book that has two things going for it - science, and the beautiful, yet simple, drawings of the wonderful Edward Gorey. What a wonderful way to introduce children to the realities of the universe. This will take a place of pride among my son's books. He's only 16 months, not quite really ready for this, but I'd say around the start of school-age would be a great time to introduce this book to your child, or to present as a gift. Bravo on reintroducing a new generation to thi ...more
Diana Welsch
I love nightmare fuel. I don't really get into gore or anything like that, existential horror is more my thing. That's what I was expecting with this book and it delivered. Every kid should read it. Instead of peeing their pants and sleeping with the lights on, they'll just be filled with vague dread for the rest of their lives.
Kathryn
This is a strange little story. The illustrations are charming, with minimalist use of color. I enjoyed it, but my preschooler was not riveted by it. However, it was a beautifully bound book that came with a nice bookmark -- really gift quality -- so I donated it to our school library.
Gsmattingly
Wonderful text by Peter F. Neumeyer and fantastic illustrations with Edward Gorey.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Robert Max  Steenkist
Robert Max Steenkist marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Apr 20, 2015
Ferin
Ferin marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Amy Adams
Amy Adams marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Anita Dalton
Anita Dalton marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Jason K.
Jason K. marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Viktoria Stolybko
Viktoria Stolybko marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Donald Has a Difficulty The Phantom of the Opera Homage to John Clare: A poetical and critical correspondence The Faithful Fish The "Castle" (20th Century Interpretations)